Bretsky
02-23-2007, 06:58 AM
JS ONLINE: SPORTS: PACKERS: E-MAIL | PRINT
THIS STORY

Tight end confident he can help Packers
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Feb. 22, 2007

Indianapolis - Zach Miller, a standout tight end from Arizona State, listed team after team Thursday that he thought needed help at his position.

When Miller finished, he had carelessly forgotten to name the Green Bay Packers.

"Oh yeah, that's right," said Miller, who interviewed with Green Bay Wednesday night at the NFL combine. "I forgot about them. They definitely need a tight end."

They sure do.

Bubba Franks, David Martin and Donald Lee were as pedestrian as a group of tight ends could be in 2006. The Green Bay trio combined for a paltry 58 receptions, 580 yards and two touchdowns.

So logic suggests the Packers will address the position relatively early in the National Football League draft on April 28 and 29. The problem is, the 2007 crop of tight ends isn't wowing anybody.

There are no freakish athletes such as Kellen Winslow Jr., Ben Watson or Vernon Davis. The senior class is fantastically weak. Even the depth of the group is suspect, at best.

"There's been stronger groups of tight ends coming out in the past," said Rick Spielman, Minnesota's vice president of player personnel.

"It's not as good as it's been," New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "There's some value down the line, though."

Miller and Greg Olsen of Miami - a pair of juniors - are considered the cream of the crop. But both appear to be fringe first-rounders and would probably be a reach for Green Bay to choose with the 16th overall pick.

Overall, it would be a surprise if more than four tight ends were taken on Day 1, when the first three rounds are conducted. Over the last 10 years, an average of 5.1 tight ends per season were chosen on Day 1. And the last time there wasn't a tight end taken in the first round was 1999.

"I still think it will work itself out to be a pretty solid group," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. "I don't know that you have anybody quite in the same category as the kid last year (Davis). But it's a group that will be a pretty good group."

Thompson is certainly hoping so, because the Packers sure could use some new talent. Franks appears finished, and Martin is a free agent. Lee agreed to terms last week but is coming off a year in which he had just 10 receptions.

So Thompson almost certainly has to replenish the position and either Miller or Olsen would be a good place to start.

Miller, nicknamed "The Truth," has drawn comparisons to Baltimore's Todd Heap, another former Arizona State player. Miller averaged 48 catches, 504 yards and 4.7 touchdowns per season during his three years at Arizona State and broke Heap's record for receptions by a tight end.

Miller (6 feet 4 inches, 256 pounds) is also one of the better blockers among the group. Where he'll be selected could ultimately be determined by his time in the 40-yard dash.

"I think my best attribute is my blocking," Miller said. "They are always looking for the complete tight end; they always stress the complete tight end. It's hard to find a guy who can block and run well, and you have to be able to do both."

Olsen (6-6, 258) is probably the best pass catcher in the group. But most scouts have been turned off by his blocking.

"I think it's something I'm adequate at," Olsen said. "But something I can improve on as I get stronger and work on my technique and focus on improving that aspect of my game."

Minnesota's Matt Spaeth (6-7, 270), who won the Mackey Award, is recovering from torn ligaments in his right shoulder and likely won't go before Round 3. Iowa's Jeff Chandler (6-7, 270) might also sneak into the third round, as could Georgia's Martrez Miller (6-4, 252).

"There's some guys in that third, fourth, mid-round range that are going to play in this league," Spielman said. "It's just a matter of going through and finding that guy that's going to do that."

Bretsky
02-23-2007, 06:59 AM
A few Big Ten guys are coming out; anybody high on the Gopher or Hawkeye TE's ?

PackerPro42
02-23-2007, 07:04 AM
If the Packers address the TE position in the draft I hope they take Greg Olsen or Zach Miller.

Bretsky
02-23-2007, 07:08 AM
If the Packers address the TE position in the draft I hope they take Greg Olsen or Zach Miller.

The Minnesota guy had very good production; but I don't want any frickin Gophers. Bad Karma= see Darryl Thompson.

I think it's very probably if TT signs all his guys GB waits til round 4-5 and TT plucks the sleeper he likes.

red
02-23-2007, 08:36 AM
the problem with olsen and miller, is right now they're both slated to go between our first two picks. so we would either be reaching to take one, or sitting back with the hopes that one falls to us.

plus i'm not sure i would want to take either in the first round, we have bigger needs for round 1.

the big ten guys are interesting, if for nothing more, their just giants. 6'7 is a huge target.

i also like how they make a big deal about there being no VD quality TE in this draft. like we would have any shot at all to pick him at 16

Lurker64
02-23-2007, 08:40 AM

I like Chandler, but I'm not sure I'd take him before the fourth. He's a fiery competitor with speed and great hands, but he's not physical enough yet (likely as a result of being a converted WR.) But he would get open a lot, and has excellent concentration catching the ball (unlike some TEs we have...)

Packnut
02-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Problem here is NO rookie TE is gonna help the Packers in the 2007 season. Hell, even Davis had a tough time as a rookie and he has all the talent in the world. TT has to out-bid for Graham IF he wants to compete this season. No other choice.

red
02-23-2007, 09:03 AM
good point about rookie TE's not doing much right away

i'd like to get graham, no matter what

and then also draft a TE, later. maybe 4th round or so

Zool
02-23-2007, 09:06 AM
There are TE's that make an impact rookie year. Shockey and Gates had big rookie seasons.

I'm just saying.

Packnut
02-23-2007, 09:12 AM
There are TE's that make an impact rookie year. Shockey and Gates had big rookie seasons.

I'm just saying.

Shockey had over 800 yds but ONLY 2 td catches. Gates did nothing his rookie season.

Zool
02-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Ahh yes, sure enough. I thought 2004 was Gates' rookie season.

Shockey's rookie season outgained all of our TE's from this season though. I think my point is our TE's are un-good.

Cheesehead Craig
02-23-2007, 09:16 AM
I like drafting a TE like Miller, but we need a vet TE. Nothing real special, heck, I'd even take Wiggins if he becomes available. He's more than proven himself as a reliable pass catching TE. Plus, he'll be fairly cheap.

oregonpackfan
02-23-2007, 09:29 AM
A TE worth considering in the mid-rounds is Joe Newton of Oregon State.
The guy is huge at 6'7" and 250 lbs. He has great hands.

He is particularly skilled at getting open and catching passes in the End Zone the way Bubba Franks used to be able to do.

OPF

Partial
02-23-2007, 10:03 AM

Beckum after this year. The man is a stud.

Packnut
02-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Ahh yes, sure enough. I thought 2004 was Gates' rookie season.

Shockey's rookie season outgained all of our TE's from this season though. I think my point is our TE's are un-good.

Your point is an UNDER-STATEMENT! Please allow me to translate.

OUR TE's SUCK!

Partial
02-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Problem here is NO rookie TE is gonna help the Packers in the 2007 season. Hell, even Davis had a tough time as a rookie and he has all the talent in the world. TT has to out-bid for Graham IF he wants to compete this season. No other choice.

He was also hurt half the season...

Partial
02-23-2007, 10:05 AM
A TE worth considering in the mid-rounds is Joe Newton of Oregon State.
The guy is huge at 6'7" and 250 lbs. He has great hands.

He is particularly skilled at getting open and catching passes in the End Zone the way Bubba Franks used to be able to do.

OPF

I'd like him as well, he's a good player!

Packnut
02-23-2007, 10:10 AM

He was also hurt half the season...

Even when he played he struggled-except against us.

SD GB fan
02-23-2007, 10:38 AM
i believe heath miller contributed right away in PIT, but yes, its rare for WR and TEs to produce immediately in the NFL.

woodbuck27
02-23-2007, 10:58 AM
good point about rookie TE's not doing much right away

i'd like to get graham, no matter what

and then also draft a TE, later. maybe 4th round or so

This is the way I see it as well.

TE is one of OUR positions of greatest need and should be address'd in FA. I hope that TT signs a proven player at the TE spot before the draft as we are in a sad state there.

I see us keeping Bubba with his contract unless he can be dealt (that being not likely).TT should get that quality TE in FA and draft a TE in the mid rounds to develop and. . .

cut either D.Martin and /or D.Lee early in TC.

red
02-24-2007, 12:31 PM
miller just ran a 4.83

Chandler ran a 4.81 his first time, and i missed the second run

and olsen was by far the fastest TE with a 4.45

looks like olsen might have just locked up the top TE in the draft, and miller might have slipped to the mid second

SD GB fan
02-24-2007, 12:32 PM
miller just ran a 4.83

looks like olsen might have just locked up the top TE in the draft, and miller might have slipped to the mid second

4.45? wasnt that jennings 40 time? o_O

red
02-24-2007, 12:37 PM
miller just ran a 4.83

4.45? wasnt that jennings 40 time? o_O

that might be a touch faster then jennings

Fritz
02-24-2007, 03:40 PM
I like Bretsky's idea: re-sign Martin and let TT do his magic and pluck someone out of the middle rounds.

BallHawk
02-24-2007, 03:41 PM
I like Bretsky's idea: re-sign Martin and let TT do his magic and pluck someone out of the middle rounds.

I'd be for that.

Partial
02-24-2007, 03:43 PM
miller just ran a 4.83

That is really, really fast. He will go around 16 now I suspect.

BallHawk
02-24-2007, 03:44 PM
What about Matrez Milner out of Georgia. Supposedly, he is the fastest TE in this draft and can stretch the field, which is what our TEs lack. Georgia is also a great University for TE.

HarveyWallbangers
02-24-2007, 03:47 PM
NFL Channel has Olsen's official time at 4.51.

Fritz
02-24-2007, 04:00 PM
I just don't think that that .005 of a second is going to matter all that much when you're running a route against EJ Henderson. Can you play the damn game or not?

red
02-25-2007, 07:12 PM
well, we're actually talking about differences of .2 to .3 or even .4 between the top TE's

as someone who was once in that type of speed range i can tell you there is a huge difference between a guy that can run a 4.5 and a guy that runs 4.85.

it might only come out to a few yards difference over that time period, but theres a huge difference

Partial
02-25-2007, 07:44 PM
well, we're actually talking about differences of .2 to .3 or even .4 between the top TE's

as someone who was once in that type of speed range i can tell you there is a huge difference between a guy that can run a 4.5 and a guy that runs 4.85.

it might only come out to a few yards difference over that time period, but theres a huge difference

On a fast track perhaps, but I would reckon the difference in significantly greater in a standard tight end route. After all, they're not really running streaks straight down the field.

Iron Mike
02-26-2007, 06:55 AM
I think my point is our TE's are un-good.

Our TE's are double-plus ungood.

$1.00 to George Orwell.

BooHoo
02-26-2007, 08:58 AM
It appears none of the top TEs in the draft are worth the #16 pick. So let's go after the FA from New England. Then possibly pick a TE in later rounds.

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2007, 10:36 AM
It appears none of the top TEs in the draft are worth the #16 pick. So let's go after the FA from New England. Then possibly pick a TE in later rounds.

Maybe that's why Thompson has determined that he should resign his current group at a cheap price. At least, until he knows he can find somebody better.