PDA

View Full Version : Vonnie Holliday signs $20m 4 year contract w/MIA

motife
02-23-2007, 09:42 AM
http://media.scout.com/media/image/26/267340.jpg
update on GB's 1998 1st round pick :

Dolphins re-sign Holliday — Defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday has signed a $20 million, four-year contract to stay with the Miami Dolphins.

Dolphins Sign Holliday To Four-Year Deal
Posted: February 22, 2007 12:01 AM EST
URL: http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0207/399785.html

(Sports Network) - The Miami Dolphins announced on Wednesday the signing of veteran defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday to a four-year contract.

Holliday started all 16 games last season for Miami and was a key component for a defense that ended the season ranked fourth in the league.

"I'm happy we were able to sign Vonnie to this new contract and I appreciate the work Randy Mueller and our administrative staff did in getting it completed," said Miami head coach Cam Cameron. "Not only has he been a major part of one of the league's top defensive units the last two years, but he also has been one of the key veteran leaders in the locker room."

Last season, Holliday was fourth on the team with 66 tackles and also had seven sacks.

"This addresses one of our top offseason priorities, which is to retain our own players who have been productive members of the team," added Cameron. "During our recent conversations, both Randy and I agreed that signing Vonnie was a high priority."

Holliday signed with the Dolphins as a free agent in 2005 and has started all 32 games since joining the team. Overall, he has recorded 122 tackles and 12 sacks.

A former first-round draft pick of Green Bay, Holliday has played in 123 games with the Packers, Kansas City Chiefs and Dolphins, registering 475 tackles, 49 1/2 sacks, two interceptions, nine fumble recoveries and six forced fumbles.

Kiwon
02-23-2007, 09:47 AM
As I recall, Coach Sherman chose to resign Cleditus Hunt rather than Holliday. Whoopsi. :oops:

LL2
02-23-2007, 09:58 AM
As I recall, Coach Sherman chose to resign Cleditus Hunt rather than Holliday. Whoopsi. :oops:

Yeah, that wasn’t a brilliant move. Makes me think that we are go to have to pay Jenkins around that much if Holiday had 66 tackles and 7 sacks. I think Jenkins has more potential than Holiday ever had when he was let go.

SD GB fan
02-23-2007, 10:40 AM
didnt we sign kampman a 4 year/28 million deal last year? id guess jenkins' salary wud be between kampman's and holidays'...hopefully.

woodbuck27
02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
didnt we sign kampman a 4 year/28 million deal last year? id guess jenkins' salary wud be between kampman's and holidays'...hopefully.

I loved Vonnie Holiday in Green and Gold. Good for him. :)

red
02-23-2007, 06:14 PM

kampman was 5 year 25 million

pbmax
02-23-2007, 09:26 PM
At this rate Kampman will be underpaid in two weeks. And while Jenkins may not be worth it on a straight comarison, he may get a better deal.

FritzDontBlitz
02-24-2007, 07:04 PM
god, i still remember the vonnie playing nearly the entire season with a torn abdominal muscle that limited his productivity, then exploding for 3 sacks the last game of the season.

then sherman let him go in free agency and signed mr weed to that huge contract instead.

BooHoo
02-24-2007, 08:10 PM
I wasn't that thrilled with Holiday the last few years he played. I don't remember the stats but it seemed like he was in coast mode and didn't put out the effort. Maybe my mind is playing games with me and I do not have the facts right but seems to me his performance dropped off a little.

Patler
02-24-2007, 08:55 PM
I wasn't that thrilled with Holiday the last few years he played. I don't remember the stats but it seemed like he was in coast mode and didn't put out the effort. Maybe my mind is playing games with me and I do not have the facts right but seems to me his performance dropped off a little.

Holliday couldn't stay out of the training room in GB. That was my biggest concern with him. When he was healthy, he played well, but in 5 seasons in GB he missed 14 games in three of those seasons, and was hampered by injury much of the other time. Moving from end to tackle seems to have worked out well for him in Miami, although I believe he played some tackle in KC too.

Fritz
02-25-2007, 12:08 PM
The thinking at the time was that Holliday was kind of played out, but Weedidus Hunt was an up and coming player. I do believe that before he left the NFL, Hunt was probably the top dope-smokers in the league, so Shermy wasn't entirely wrong...