PDA

View Full Version : Update: Thompson, McCarthy Press conferences: Videos online

motife
02-23-2007, 10:24 AM
http://www.packers.com/multimedia/video/2007_non_game_video/

Videos are up now at Packers.com.

LL2
02-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Let us know if they have anything worthwhile to say.

Packers4Ever
02-23-2007, 01:01 PM
http://www.packers.com/multimedia/video/2007_non_game_video/

probably in conjunction with the Combine..

Thompson at 9:45 am.

McCarthy at 2:30 pm.

Thanks, motife, I keep on missing the conferences

and really want to hear what's being said...

motife
02-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Friday, February 23, 2007
Thompson addresses Randy Moss rumors at press conference
INDIANAPOLIS - When asked about Oakland Raiders wide receiver Randy Moss, Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson wasn't about to take the bait.
Thompson was asked several times about Moss, but would only speak in general terms on the subject and never commented on Moss directly.
"I can't talk about that either way," Thompson said. "It would be the same if you asked me about Peyton Manning."
Thompson also addressed Ahman Green’s pending free agency by saying that there has been a continuous dialog between the Packers and Green’s agent.
“Optimism is kind of a sticky phrase,” Thompson said. “We have conversations with his people every day. We’ve said all along that we want to be able to evaluate our own people properly and I told Ahman before he left that we would like to have him back and that’s still the same.”
Thompson also said he feels strongly that the team will be able to work out a long term deal with defensive end Cullen Jenkins, who will become a restricted free agent. If a deal cannot be worked out, the Packers will likely slap Jenkins with a first or second round tender, meaning they can match any offer or receive compensation if another team signs Jenkins.
“We’d like to do a long term deal.” Thompson said.
Thompson said he believes there will be plenty of talent available for the Packers at the No. 16 pick. The Packers most pressing needs are at running back, safety, tight end and receiver. Among the players the Packers are believed to be looking at with the No. 16 pick is University of California running back Marshawn Lynch, who is rated as the second-best running back in the draft behind Oklahoma’s Adrian Peterson.
Lynch is expected to address the media later today.

- Dylan B. Tomlinson, Post-Crescent

BallHawk
02-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Yes, another Lynch press conference! Those are always entertaining. I always enjoy trying to figure out what the hell he is talking about.

MadtownPacker
02-23-2007, 02:30 PM
"Thompson was asked several times about Moss, but would only speak in general terms on the subject and never commented on Moss directly.
"I can't talk about that either way," Thompson said. "It would be the same if you asked me about Peyton Manning."
I like the way this sounds. TT wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Think about how sweet the Packers situation is in 2007. They have a HOF QB that is coming back. They have a young, developing team that can only get better. They will have a good pick this draft at #16 even though they avoided a losing record, finished strong, and gained alot of confidence. If Jenkins and Green are resigned then all of the team comes back. Now if Moss can be added it suddenly opens up the offense tremendously because washed up or not, if Moss goes running down the field he is taking two DBs with him. If DD was able to get his serve on last season when he was getting double and triple teamed what is he gonna do with 1 on 1 coverage? What about Jennings? He is gonna break some plays just like he did last season.

So even if Moss does nothing more then run downfield he is still worth getting. But if he regains some of his old form then the offense is going to kick ass. TT knows the team cannot regress this season if he plans to hang around. He will make the moves he has to make to keep improving.

LL2
02-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Yes, another Lynch press conference! Those are always entertaining. I always enjoy trying to figure out what the hell he is talking about.

I wonder what he thinks about playing for the Pack? What he thinks of ARod?

motife
02-23-2007, 05:56 PM
FRIDAY, Feb. 23, 2007, 11:19 a.m.
By Rob Reischel

Packers GM addresses Green negotiations
Indianapolis - Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said today that talks are ongoing with running back Ahman Green, who can become an unrestricted free agent March 2. But when asked if he was optimistic the two sides could reach a deal, Thompson wouldn't go that far.

"I don't know if you're ever optimistic," Thompson said. "A deal gets done when a deal gets done. It's just a matter of a meeting of minds and all that sort of stuff. We're not there yet."

Thompson made his comments at the NFL Scouting Combine, which runs through Tuesday.

Green, who turned 30 on Feb. 16, sits in second-place on the Packers' all-time rushing list with 8,162 yards. He's just 46 yards away from breaking Jim Taylor's team record (8,207).

Green played in 14 games in 2006 and ran for 1,059 yards. That marked the sixth time in his seven years as a Packer that Green eclipsed the 1,000-yard barrier.

The group of potential free agent running backs is considered extremely weak. And if Green hits the market, the Packers run a great risk of losing him.

"We want him back and I think he'd like to be back," Thompson said. "He's a good Packer and he's sort of established as a Packer now. It'd be nice if he finished his career with us."

Ironically, running backs are one of the positional groups on display here today. And Thompson and his staff are closely studying several players who could someday replace Green.

Among those are California junior Marshawn Lynch, who many believe would be an ideal fit for Green Bay with the No. 16 overall pick.

"He's an awfully good football player," Green Bay running backs coach Edgar Bennett said of Lynch. "Explosive player. Tough. Runs with power. He can catch. He can do it all."

Thompson addressed several other topics during a 27-minute discussion with media members. Among those:

The 16th pick: "I felt pretty good coming out of our first set of meetings that we're going to get a very good player at 16," Thompson said.

Cullen Jenkins: The defensive end can become a restricted free agent next week. And Thompson said he'd like to work out a long-term deal with Jenkins instead of placing a tender offer on him.

"We'd like to do a long-term deal with him if we could," Thompson said.

Marquand Manuel: The embattled safety struggled throughout 2006 and many think he needs to be replaced in 2007 if Green Bay's defense is to improve. Manuel missed much of training camp last year with a groin injury.

"I think what he needs is a comfort level going through a training camp and being with his guys," Thompson said of Manuel. "There has to be a bonding time with your teammates and they weren't able to do that. I'm hopeful this year it's going to be a more smooth thing."

The state of his team: Although Green Bay closed with four straight wins during its 8-8 campaign, Thompson isn't delusional enough to say they're close to being a contender.

"We're a young team and we have some good solid veterans," he said. "We finished well at the end, but we're not blind to the fact that we need to get better. We can help our team at almost any position."

motife
02-23-2007, 06:00 PM
here's the first posted audio I've seen :

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=multimediaindex

SD GB fan
02-24-2007, 12:47 PM
"We can help our team at almost any position."

thats what i like to hear. here we go another 10+ picks? :)

Fritz
02-24-2007, 03:12 PM
So Manuel sucked because he didn't get to bond with his teammates???

I like Ted, but he's a little weird sometimes.

packers11
02-24-2007, 03:25 PM

If T.T. keeps this slow turtle, I'm gunna bond my foot up his ass...

BallHawk
02-24-2007, 03:33 PM

If T.T. keeps this slow turtle, I'm gunna bond my foot up his ass...

That would make an interesting reality TV show.