PDA

View Full Version : Lance Briggs and Thomas Jones demand trades from bears

red
02-23-2007, 04:14 PM
just heard it on around the horn that both of these guys today have come out and demanded to be traded

this is what happens when you dick around and disrespect the coach that all the players love and respect and just took your team to the super bowl

i said a week or two ago when they started jerking lovie around that this might happen, and now it is

i'll try and find a link somewhere

PackerPro42
02-23-2007, 04:15 PM
That kind of sucks, I would have like to see the Packers pursue Briggs in FA and now if they want him they'll likely have to give up a good player and a high first day pick.

packerbacker1234
02-23-2007, 04:18 PM
I don't see them leaving.

Lovie will talk to them and get them to be on his bandwagon this year and to ditch next season.

red
02-23-2007, 04:22 PM
from the chicago tribune

Ample turnover may include RB Jones
Apparently asks for trade; GM confident in Benson

By David Haugh
Tribune staff reporter

February 22, 2007, 11:34 PM CST

INDIANAPOLIS -- Expect the Bears to accommodate running back Thomas Jones' apparent request for a trade as best they can. Presume they will expend just as much effort in trying to ignore the same request from linebacker Lance Briggs.

Forget the idea of free-agent quarterback Jeff Garcia being overpaid to challenge Rex Grossman or Brian Griese. But warm up the notion of Pro Bowl return man Devin Hester getting a long look on offense.

The Bears are counting on running back Cedric Benson but not necessarily on safety Mike Brown.

They hope the offensive line welcomes back free-agent guard Ruben Brown and figure their defensive line has seen its last of tackles Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone once they hit the open market next month.

Other than that, general manager Jerry Angelo had no personnel issues to discuss during a 45-minute session with local reporters in his hotel suite on the first day of the NFL scouting combine.

"The Super Bowl seemed like a long time ago," Angelo said.

Jones, with one year left on his contract, put his name atop the off-season agenda in a meeting that Angelo stopped just short of calling a trade demand.

"He has expressed some things to me personally and we'll work on some things," Angelo said. "He really enjoyed the season and likes being a Bear so it has nothing to do with anything but what he feels would be in his best interest. We're going to mull over some things."

Angelo acknowledged Briggs also was unhappy after the Bears stuck the franchise tag on him last week and guaranteed him a salary of $7.2 million. But he didn't sound worried about Briggs making things messy by holding out or trying to force a trade. Subtly, he also mentioned 2006 fourth-round draft pick Jamar Williams when discussing backup plans for Briggs.

"Hopefully it will work out and if [Briggs] has any hard feelings he'll do the right thing for himself," Angelo said. "If you play you get paid, if you don't, you won't. So that's the bottom line in terms of the business side. It has nothing to do with how we feel about him."

Nor will emotions play a role in how the Bears respond to Briggs' contract demands. Briggs' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, reportedly will seek a nine-year deal worth in excess of $63.8 million, but Angelo sounded less than optimistic of heading back to the table.

"When we made the decision, it wasn't with the intention that we were going to [negotiate now]," Angelo said. "I'm not ruling that out or saying that's not a possibility. But we made the decision about our finances that he would be playing under a one-year deal."

Some fans view Garcia, who looked rejuvenated in the second half of the season with the Eagles, as a short-term solution at quarterback. But Angelo rejected that notion by backing starter Rex Grossman, whom Angelo said endured "ludicrous scrutiny," and reminded folks the Bears already have a capable veteran backup.

"I don't really see the win in [signing Garcia], I just see that as running up and down the starting line," Angelo said. "I'm not one to mistake activity for achievement. I have a lot of respect for Garcia and what he did, but we like Brian Griese."

Adding Hester to the offense would make any quarterback smile, and Angelo opened the door to that possibility. Angelo used the term "Hester-ized," to describe the excitement he felt a year ago at the combine after seeing Hester work out.

"That's something our coaches are going to talk about at length," Angelo said of moving Hester from cornerback to receiver. "If they went that way, they wouldn't get an argument from me."

There figures to be less of a consensus at Halas Hall regarding the dependability of Mike Brown, who has missed parts of the last three seasons with leg injuries.

"We'll have to talk through that situation and a few other players like that," Angelo said of Brown.

Another Brown, Ruben, wants to return for a fourth season at left guard. But if the two sides can't agree on terms, Angelo expressed confidence in backup Terrence Metcalf.

Asked about the stability of the defensive line, Angelo didn't hesitate when addressing the status of free-agents Boone and Scott, who has drawn early interest from the Broncos.

"We're planning on moving forward [without them]," he said.

Angelo sounded just as certain about moving forward in the running game behind Benson, despite lingering concerns about his durability and maturity. If Jones indeed leaves town, Angelo said he would have no qualms turning to Benson as his top back.

"Are there still some unanswered questions [about Benson]? Yes," he said. "But when we brought Thomas Jones in here there were some unknowns about him and he answered the bell. It's just part of the business sometimes. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You'd like to know everybody you put out there is tried and tested. But it just doesn't work that way."

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

GoPackGo
02-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Thomas Jones would look good in green and gold imo

PackerPro42
02-23-2007, 05:08 PM
IDK, I would rather the Packers sign Green and get Lynch in the draft. The ultimate one two threat.

BallHawk
02-23-2007, 05:09 PM
IDK, I would rather the Packers sign Green and get Lynch in the draft. The ultimate one two threat.

I'd prefer Thomas Jones. More experience.

PackerPro42
02-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Experience does play a role in the decisions of FA, but if all teams went off of experience there would just be a bunch of over aged over paid players in the league. Yes Jones did look solid this season, but I wouldn't want to give up any form of draft picks for him when there are completely capable backs to be had in the draft.

red
02-23-2007, 05:37 PM

I'd prefer Thomas Jones. More experience.

jones wants out because he isn't the only RB, he wouldn't be the main guy in green bay either if we keep green

plus i just heard that the bears turned down a 2nd and 3rd for him a year or 2 ago, and that it would take a 1st and 2nd to get him. i think clayton said that

i'd rather have lynch plus a second round player instead of jones

Kiwon
02-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Is Matt Millen now advising the Bears?

FritzDontBlitz
02-23-2007, 06:57 PM
ewww, do i smell bear meat burning? pheww!!!! :lol:

Bretsky
02-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Experience does play a role in the decisions of FA, but if all teams went off of experience there would just be a bunch of over aged over paid players in the league. Yes Jones did look solid this season, but I wouldn't want to give up any form of draft picks for him when there are completely capable backs to be had in the draft.

Thomas Jones and Reggie Nelson or Dwayne Jarrett....or Ahman Green and Lynch ?

Those are debateable .

PackerPro42
02-24-2007, 07:42 AM
I'll take the RB duo over Nelson and Jarrett any day. It's already been proven that a dual back threat is the way to go in the league and I think that we need two solid backs in order to do it. Morency was decent last year but we need to bring in someone who can be the future of the franchise ala: Marshawn Lynch.

esoxx
02-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Umm.. I think that was Bretsky's point. You could have a Jones/Green RB duo plus Nelson or Jarrett.

Or you could have a Green/Lynch RB duo.

I'd take the former scenario.

MadtownPacker
02-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Jones is not the way to go because no matter how much we like Ahman he is not the future and neither is Jones. Gotta develop a young RB. If that is Lynch or some 7th rounder, it doesnt matter it just has to be NOW.