View Full Version : Robinson preparing to return

esoxx
02-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Robinson preparing to return, agent says
Receiver working out, attending AA meetings
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 23, 2007
Indianapolis - Wide receiver Koren Robinson, one-third of the way through a one-year suspension from the National Football League, is on track for a return to the Green Bay Packers early next season.

His agent, Alvin Keels, said Friday at the NFL combine that to his knowledge Robinson hasn't consumed alcohol or been in any trouble since his first season with the Packers came to a halt after four games.

"He's going through counseling and being with his family," Keels said, adding that Robinson regularly attended Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. "He's excited about coming back and playing with Brett (Favre) for another year."

Robinson, who will turn 27 next month, his wife and child have been living outside Raleigh, N.C., since NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell banned him Oct. 17 for violations of the league's substance-abuse policy.

Shortly after the suspension started, Robinson underwent arthroscopic surgery to alleviate a knee problem.

"Actually, he's about the same size that he was in Green Bay," Keels said. "He's been working out hard. He hasn't put on any additional fat or anything like that. Koren's around 207 right now."

Next week, Robinson will begin serving a 90-day jail sentence for leading police in Minnesota on a high-speed chase last August. He also was placed on probation for three years, fined $1,500 and given 80 hours of community service.

Upon completion of jail time, Robinson plans to work with noted trainer Tom Shaw in Orlando, Fla., according to Keels.

"Obviously, we hope he's able to get through his process," coach Mike McCarthy said Friday. "He had a very positive experience in his time here."

Under terms of the suspension, Robinson was banned from the club facility. Keels, however, said he had spoken with the Packers, usually personnel analyst John Schneider, about twice a month.

"He hasn't been forgotten," Keels said."

With little behind Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, general manager Ted Thompson has said he'd like to add another veteran wide receiver. It could be Robinson, whose modest two-year contract with the Packers would have two years left if his application for reinstatement, which can't be made before Sept. 18, is approved.

Robert Ferguson, Ruvell Martin, Carlyle Holiday, Shaun Bodiford, a possible draft choice and other veteran acquisitions all could render Robinson's return moot even if he is reinstated.

If the Packers didn't want Robinson, he would then be free to sign with another team.

"There are no guarantees," Keels said. "He understands that. But when Koren Robinson devotes his mind and his body to the game of football, you can't tell me that he can't take a roster spot on any team. There's not too many No. 3 or No. 4 receivers that are better than Koren at his very best."

Precedent tells Keels that "players who clean their act up" are treated fairly by the NFL in the reinstatement process.

"Barring any new incidents, I don't see it being a problem having him reinstated," he said.

Whether Robinson can successfully control his misuse of alcohol and not run afoul of the NFL's random drug and alcohol testing probably will determine if the former first-round draft choice (ninth pick overall in 2001) has a future in football.

"That's been a problem," Keels said. "But it's been a problem that he has recognized and taken the time and the effort to correct.

"It's all on him. If he wants it, then I'm sure there will be a spot available for him. But he has to handle his business off the field, continue to work hard and be prepared to step in and help a team when he's able to come back."

Signed Sept. 12, Robinson caught seven passes for 89 yards and returned 12 kickoffs for a 21.1-yard average in four games.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like he's on the right track but he seemed that way last off-season too. He's got a problem he's going to have to fight every day the rest of his life. Hopefully it all works out for him.

Joemailman
02-24-2007, 06:29 AM
I hope he makes it back, but it would probably be a while before he can contribute. He cannot practice or attend any team meetings until he is reinstated. Because of his appeal, his suspension didn't start until October 17. The league could wait until then to reinstate him. Best case scenario is he would be in a position to contribute by early October. It could be later than that.

MJZiggy
02-24-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't remember. How much practice time and meeting time did he have before he began to see some action last season? An offseason program would have been nice, but it seems that if they bring him back, he will be worked in somehow.

Scott Campbell
02-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I think he can contribute in the return game immediately.

I still think it's a long shot that he makes it back though. It's hard to lay off the sauce.

RashanGary
02-24-2007, 09:52 AM
If he's not in tip top shape, get rid of him.

oregonpackfan
02-24-2007, 12:11 PM
At this point in his life, Robinson needs to work on these priorities:

1. staying sober and emotionally healthy

2. physically working out with a trainer to keep himself in top shape

3. developing an alternative career should no team have an interest in him come October.

A recent article in the JSOnline about the Packers' Willie Davis of the 60's shows how Davis have the foresight and drive to prepare himself for life after football. While still a contributing member of the Packers, Davis was earning is MBA at the U. of Chicago. His teammates ribbed him about still going to school.

After his pro career was over, Davis financially thrived in the radio and beverage industry. He became a multimillionaire.

Robinson, and other pro players for that matter, need to prepare for a career after football. While a few may be able to financially make it on their pro football salaries(if they have saved and invested wisely) most will need to seek other jobs/careers. Robinsin needs to prepare himself for that day be it next mid-October or several years from nowl.

MadtownPacker
02-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Great post OPF.

I think KRob got off easy and better open his eyes and realize that it wont happen again.

He was able to join the team late and contribute last season so I dont see why he cant do it again. His legal troubles will be settled and his last golden ticket will be waiting for him. If he spits on it then too bad for him.

But imagine what him, DD, Jennings, and Moss could do........ :idea:

packerbacker1234
02-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Hell, i just imagine him with DD and Jennings

He may only make a big difference come december, but hey I'll take it. If we can position ourselves for the playoffs how can we not want that extra weapon for favre. DD will be starting to get tired, Jennings may get in a slump again, and even with moss he is unreliable.

KR comming back could be huge at that point in time.

HarveyWallbangers
02-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Is he really worth the trouble? He's just not that great. In Seattle he couldn't catch the ball. He's a nice 3rd or 4th wideout. Hopefully, we can find one of those in the offseason.

Partial
02-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Great post OPF.

I think KRob got off easy and better open his eyes and realize that it wont happen again.

He was able to join the team late and contribute last season so I dont see why he cant do it again. His legal troubles will be settled and his last golden ticket will be waiting for him. If he spits on it then too bad for him.

Moss, Driver, Jennings, Robinson, Bowe/Meachem.

Best receiving core in the league.

Fritz
02-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Hey, with 90 days in the slammer maybe he'll have access to a weight room, and opportunity to work on his reflexes trying to keep everybody out of his nether regions.

FritzDontBlitz
02-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Great post OPF.

Moss, Driver, Jennings, Robinson, Bowe/Meachem.

Best receiving core in the league.

moss, driver, robinson, jennings, ruvell martin.

and people will still whine about javon leaving......... 8)