PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy??

ND72
04-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Just looking for some names of some sleepers you see in the draft...fire some names out.

I see a guy from Northwestern..MLB Tim McGarigle

that's one name to kick this off...how bout Frostee Rucker, DE USC

give me a few of yours.

b bulldog
04-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Max jean Gilles, cool name for a road grader.

ND72
04-24-2006, 09:57 PM
he's not really a sleeper pick though

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Check out the prospect thread. I posted about three or four guys on there

CyclonePackFan
04-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I still say Nick Leaders, DT, Iowa St.

No Mo Moss
04-25-2006, 12:33 AM
I think Brandon Williams and Owen Daniels will be great Pros.

oregonpackfan
04-25-2006, 12:33 AM
I still say WR Mike Hass of Oregon State and Brett Elliot of Linfield College.

Oregonpacikfan

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2006, 07:32 AM
QB Tarvaris Jackson
RB Mike Bell
WR Todd Watkins
OG Chris Kuper
DE James Wyche
LB James Anderson
CB David Pittman

ND72
04-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Harvey, you mentioned him, and I was reading about him today. Chris Kuper from North Dakota. the more i read about him the more i like. ESPN lists him as the potential best lineman in this draft, and potentially the best zone blocker in this draft at the guard position. he's 6'4 310, as a junior he was 6'2 290, so he's still growing. i just think he's going to be a good one down the road.

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Chris Kuper

Summary from CBSsportsline.com

Kuper was an extremely frustrating player to grade because he no doubt has the physical tools to be a good starting guard in the NFL, but because of his inconsistent effort and laziness as a blocker, he was not even a good guard at North Dakota. He is remarkably quick-footed and agile for such a big guard and can get through the line of scrimmage to the second level quickly. When he keeps his feet under him and stays after his blocks, he can be a good blocker in space. The trouble is that, more often than not, he stops his feet right before making contact, leans and reaches to make contact and ends up overextending and falling off his blocks. Overall, Kuper is the type of offensive linemen that is all too common -- he has all the physical tools, but has not played up to his ability. He was impressive at the East-West Shrine Game because he consistently improved throughout the week. He raised his competitive level because he knew the man he was blocking was clearly much more talented. He might need a season or two to improve his technique and consistency, but eventually will become a good starting guard in the NFL.

ND72
04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
tough to not be a good guard when he was a 2 time D2 all american and 3 time all conference in maybe the best D2 conference in america.

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2006, 11:55 AM
I think he will be alright, but teams can't take him and think they have just drafted a starter for the 2006 season, they are going to be disappointed.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't buy the underachiever label, at all. The dude is from Alaska, so nobody recruited him out of high school. He dominated at the Division II level (and that is the big question with him). Most of the kids that come out of UND and NDSU are try hard guys that wouldn't be labeled underachievers. Guys like Jim Kleinsasser and Phil Hansen. Maybe it's true, but I haven't seen other bios saying he's an underachiever.

He's got decent size, and very good athleticism. One of the best athletes among the OGs, and that's why I like him for the zone blocking scheme.

From ESPN:

CHRIS KUPER

Strengths: Shows a lot of upside because of his size-potential/athleticism combination. He is tall, has adequate bulk and continues to get bigger. He shows good quickness and athleticism. Seems to be at his best on pulls and traps. He does a good job of reaching the second level and hitting the moving target as a run blocker. He has absolutely dominated his small-school level of competition. He shows the ability to knock defenders back off their feet when he connects on the move in space. He has the feet, balance and body control to develop into a very good zone blocker in the running game. He shows a quick set in pass pro. A natural knee bender with the lateral movement skills to mirror and slide at the NFL level. His long arms and wide frame make him difficult to get around as an interior pass rusher.

Weaknesses: Must develop better muscle tone and explosive power. He runs over small-school defenders when he has a running start, but he does not show the initial pop or hand punch to knock NFL defenders back. He is more of a position and wall-off type of blocker than anything. He lacks ideal lower body strength and will struggle to anchor versus the bull rush in the NFL. His footwork and hand-placement are just decent. He gets away with a lot at the DI-AA level that he won't get away with in the NFL.

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Ha Harvey, my reporting source said almost the same thing as your's.

It seems to me that he lacked a little ambition playing against smaller schools and under-talented opponents.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2006, 05:00 PM
ESPN didn't have this blurb though.

"but because of his inconsistent effort and laziness as a blocker, he was not even a good guard at North Dakota."

He wasn't a good guard at North Dakota? He was only a time-time All-American. To me, if a person leads off with that, it's hard to take them seriously.

Charles Woodson
04-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Willie Reid-FSU