PDA

View Full Version : Packers drafting 0-line in the 1st?

red
02-24-2007, 09:25 AM
i don't think any of us has mentioned this

but would we do it?

we need depth, and clifton might be starting to lose it. and there might be some nice talent right around where we draft like justin blalock and levi brown

blalock is a guard and brown is a tackle, both are beasts

moll and colledge were both tackles coming out of college, so if we take blalock one of those two could move outside to add depth and maybe be a replacement for cliftom down the road. or if we draft brown he could be a backup for a year or two behind clifton before taking over

theres some very nice o-line talent right around where we're picking, and i'm not sold yet on the guys from last year. if we can get better talent this year, i wouldn't mind it

BallHawk
02-24-2007, 09:27 AM
I'd be open to the possibility of an OL. There aren't any "dominant" OL guys in this draft, but there are some good ones. Also, we could trade down and still get the guy we want.

red
02-24-2007, 09:41 AM
heres a write up on blalock from footballsfuture

Click here for NFL Draft News and Rumors
Justin Blalock OG 6'4 329 Texas
By: Robert Davis

Blalock earned freshman All American honors in 2003, and things have just taken off from there. A fixture at RT for the Longhorns, he has gone on to 1st Team Big 12 honors as a sophomore and junior, and also collected All American honors as a junior. Splitting time at right tackle and right guard as a senior, Blalock managed to dominate again and repeated as an All American.

As far as guards go, it is tough to draw up a better specimen than Justin Blalock. He is a very good athlete for an interior lineman, and is very good in pass protection. He can adjust to a defenders moves, and keep his quarterback clean. In the running game, he has the power and strength to drive players off the ball and open up major running lanes. Blalock may also bring the versatility to play at guard or right tackle in the NFL.

Even though Blalock has played tackle his entire career at Texas, he seems to be a better fit inside at the next level. He is only listed at 6'4, so he is short for a tackle, but his height is not a concern inside.

Justin Blalock may be able to play right tackle in the NFL, but he has the look of a dominant guard prospect. He has the talent to be a pro bowler inside at guard, and most teams will draft him with that idea in mind.

---------------

he also put up the most reps yesterday at the combine with 40

Brando19
02-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I'd be open to the possibility of an OL. There aren't any "dominant" OL guys in this draft, but there are some good ones. Also, we could trade down and still get the guy we want.

Did you forget that guy from Wisconsin, Joe Thomas? I know he's waaaay out of our reach and will probably go to Detroit at #2...but this is as dominant of an OL guy in the draft as you'll get.

PackerPro42
02-24-2007, 09:47 AM
There are a lot of solid O-line men in the draft this year, but I don't think that any of the first round prospect are great for the zone blocking scheme. A guy I hope the Packers try to pursue is Joe Staley OT from Central Michigan. He's 6-5 300 pounds and runs a 4.75 40. That's just the guy that is needed in the ZBS. He big strong and fast, if we could get him in the second or third round I would be extremely happy.

red
02-24-2007, 09:54 AM
There are a lot of solid O-line men in the draft this year, but I don't think that any of the first round prospect are great for the zone blocking scheme. A guy I hope the Packers try to pursue is Joe Staley OT from Central Michigan. He's 6-5 300 pounds and runs a 4.75 40. That's just the guy that is needed in the ZBS. He big strong and fast, if we could get him in the second or third round I would be extremely happy.

i think they were just saying that staley did well yesterday at the combine, and with a decent showing today he could move into the first round. he might be out of our reach in the second, and too much of a reach for our 1st

PackerPro42
02-24-2007, 09:56 AM

i think they were just saying that staley did well yesterday at the combine, and with a decent showing today he could move into the first round. he might be out of our reach in the second, and too much of a reach for our 1st

Possibly, all we can do is hope. He's probably my favorite OL prospect in this draft, or at least for the ZBS prospect.

red
02-24-2007, 09:56 AM
BTW

OL and TE's are about to start their combine drills on the nfl network

red
02-24-2007, 09:58 AM

Possibly, all we can do is hope. He's probably my favorite OL prospect in this draft, or at least for the ZBS prospect.

staley isn't going to do the drills, he just "tweaked" his hamstring

maybe he will be there at our 2nd

PackerPro42
02-24-2007, 10:01 AM
BTW

OL and TE's are about to start their combine drills on the nfl network

God I wish I had NFL Network, stupid cable.

VermontPackFan
02-24-2007, 10:09 AM
I think taking an offensive lineman in this years draft is a very good idea. You can never have enough depth. Kevin Barry may or maynot adapt to the ZB scheme. I dont think we will be taking one in day 1 of the draft however. We have too many other needs...

But who knows? It all depends on what the team does in FA, and Im sure TT will take the best athlete aproach...

BallHawk
02-24-2007, 10:54 AM

Did you forget that guy from Wisconsin, Joe Thomas? I know he's waaaay out of our reach and will probably go to Detroit at #2...but this is as dominant of an OL guy in the draft as you'll get.

Actually, yeah I did forget about him. But as you said, way out of our range.

Patler
02-24-2007, 11:15 AM

but would we do it?

we need depth, and clifton might be starting to lose it. and there might be some nice talent right around where we draft like justin blalock and levi brown

Ah come on red! Just one week ago in explaining why I didn't want a running back in Round 1, I wrote:

I want a first round pick invested in a DB (either corner or safety, doesn't matter) WR, OT, DL (tackle or end, I don't care) even another LB or QB if a real good one falls to #16. I want a real good player at a position where he can be expected to be there and play well for the next 10 years.

:D :D :thank: :thank: :thank:

oregonpackfan
02-24-2007, 12:02 PM
With each passing year, I have come to accept the adage, "You take the best player available."

Though the Packers appear fairly well established on the OL and have more pressing needs at RB and WR, you have to choose the most talented player available no matter what the position or how strong the team's current status in that position.

One never knows when you will lose a talented veteran due to injury, free agency, holdout, tragic off the field accident, etc. You just have to take the best college football player available.

red
02-24-2007, 12:28 PM

but would we do it?

Ah come on red! Just one week ago in explaining why I didn't want a running back in Round 1, I wrote:

I want a first round pick invested in a DB (either corner or safety, doesn't matter) WR, OT, DL (tackle or end, I don't care) even another LB or QB if a real good one falls to #16. I want a real good player at a position where he can be expected to be there and play well for the next 10 years.

:D :D :thank: :thank: :thank:

i should have known

i need to remember that if i ever come up with a good idea that i thinks original, chances are, patlers already said something about it

Patler
02-24-2007, 01:01 PM
i should have known

i need to remember that if i ever come up with a good idea that i thinks original, chances are, patlers already said something about it

Only because I spend much too much time posting on here!
At least we have proven the old adage about great minds..... :D

red
02-24-2007, 01:08 PM
At least we have proven the old adage about great minds..... :D

no argument here lol

CaliforniaCheez
02-24-2007, 01:12 PM
The Packers don't have much depth behind Wells.
Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be a good draft for Centers.
The good thing is the Packers are unlikely to choose one the first day.

While Coston has been praised for attitude and work ethic, it may be he just doesn't have the intelligence or the experience to make the line calls.

A Center/Guard in the 5th round would not be unexpected.

SD GB fan
02-24-2007, 01:25 PM
i dont want a oline in the 1st, unless joe thomas somehow lands to us. i think we have more pressing needs at other positions and depth can always be added later in the draft or through the FA (atlanta cast offs)

Fritz
02-24-2007, 03:08 PM
All things being equal, I'd like to see them draft for a playmaker - but only if your playmaker is as good at his position as the offensive lineman is at his. But don't reach - if you can pick a "maybe" wide receiver or a tackle who you feel pretty certain can anchor the line for ten years, take the lineman.

Partial
02-24-2007, 03:27 PM

Joe Thomas isn't dominant? Scouts are saying he is as good as Orlando Pace who is regarded as one of the best linemen prospects ever.

Partial
02-24-2007, 03:30 PM

Poppycock. Don't look at the 40 time ever for a linemen. Look at the 0-10 time and the agility drills. They are a much more accurate representation of what a linemen is supposed to do. With that said, I don't know anything about said prospect.

BallHawk
02-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Joe Thomas isn't dominant? Scouts are saying he is as good as Orlando Pace who is regarded as one of the best linemen prospects ever.

I had forgotten about Joe Thomas when typing that statement. I love Joe Thomas, and without question he is dominant, but no shot at him being in our range.

Fritz
02-24-2007, 04:04 PM

Poppycock. Don't look at the 40 time ever for a linemen. Look at the 0-10 time and the agility drills. They are a much more accurate representation of what a linemen is supposed to do. With that said, I don't know anything about said prospect.

Good point. Not much call for an o-lineman to be running forty yeards downfield on too many plays.

Partial
02-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Good point. Not much call for an o-lineman to be running forty yeards downfield on too many plays.

Yep. I really liked Joe Thomas' response to what he would do at the combine, he said he didn't train for a 40 or anything like that because he really didn't care and doesn't think it should matter. The only time he's running 40 yards is when an interception is thrown which means he didn't do his job well enough.

JT is gonna be a good one. Good Brookfield kid. He seemed very broken up when that Homan kid passed away at La Crosse, whom I guess he was very good friends with. Seems to be that above a football player he has put being a good human, which is a mark of a successful man in my book.

BF4MVP
02-24-2007, 06:01 PM
We need help at the skill positions..Our O-Line will be fine..

LEWCWA
02-24-2007, 07:03 PM
I can't see ol in the first round as they picked up 2 pretty early last season and are pretty happy with them. I do assume they will pick at least 2 in the later rounds though.

BooHoo
02-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Let's pick the best player available. But it wouldn't surprise me to see TT trade down in the first round.

Fritz
02-25-2007, 12:04 PM
The only thing that would surprise me is TT moving up in the first round. By the way, anybody know (with that points for each pick system) how far TT could move up in round one if he gave up his 2nd rounder?

PackerPro42
02-25-2007, 12:06 PM
The only thing that would surprise me is TT moving up in the first round. By the way, anybody know (with that points for each pick system) how far TT could move up in round one if he gave up his 2nd rounder?

Here's a trade value chart.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html

Fritz
02-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Looks like Ted could get up to the #8 spot by giving up his second rounder. But there'll be no one there worth trading up for. Better to trade down and get extra picks in the second or third rounds.

BooHoo
02-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for posting the location of the chart. I lost my last years copy. The chart helps to put a reality check into trading up or down.

The Shadow
02-25-2007, 07:33 PM
I think you target 1-3 players you really like to be possibilities at #16.
If they are gone, you try to move down & pick up picks.

BooHoo
02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi Shadow, how are you this evening?