PDA

View Full Version : T.T. not looking to trade down this draft...

packers11
02-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Going for the best of the rest
Quality, not quantity might be draft focus
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 24, 2007
Indianapolis - Having brought the Green Bay Packers back to respectability in two years on the job mainly by amassing draft picks, general manager Ted Thompson could very well be thinking about hitting a home run this time.

The Packers enter the off-season with more players under contract than any team in the National Football League. They were the youngest team in the NFL a year ago, the residue of Thompson's drafting philosophy of trading down almost whenever possible.

In 2005, Thompson turned seven selections into 11 by trading down three times. Last year, he turned seven choices into 12 by trading down four times and dealing Javon Walker.

From the Packers' league-leading haul of 23 players, a total of 17 players remain on the roster, including six starters.

As Mike Holmgren's top personnel man in Seattle from 2000-'04, Thompson traded down six times without even once trading up.

The Packers desperately needed bodies in recent years because Mike Sherman traded up eight times in his last three drafts and then didn't use the picks wisely.

Now, however, the Packers have ample manpower across the board with an abundance of developing players and 12 veterans due back from injured reserve. So it might be time for Thompson to emphasize quality over quantity when the draft arrives nine weeks from now.

"That's a valid point," Thompson said. "We did add a lot of core players and people we think are going to be contributors. We haven't worked all that out yet, (but) there's maybe a little less need for more picks. But you'd always like to have a bunch of picks."

Green Bay will have its own selection in all seven rounds plus a seventh-round choice from the New York Jets in the September 2005 trade for tackle Steve Morley. The club is unlikely to receive any compensatory picks for free-agent losses.

Thompson and his scouts put in 12-hour days for 16 consecutive days before leaving for the scouting combine at the RCA Dome. The Packers talked about hundreds and hundreds of players, but in the back of everyone's mind was what would be available when it's their turn to exercise the No. 16 pick.

"Some years it's really strong maybe 1 through 8 or 9 and then it peters down," Thompson said. "But this year it looks like it's going to be strong enough. I think we'll get a good player if we know what we're doing."

Ron Wolf commissioned a study in the mid- to late 1990s, according to Thompson, that revealed players selected 1 to 17 turned out to be remarkably similar in longevity and production. To a lesser degree, picks 18 to 42 were about the same, too.

But based on the last decade of selections, the Packers better keep their fingers crossed if they sit tight at 16.

Five of the last 10 players taken in that position already have made the Pro Bowl, including defensive end Jevon Kearse, linebacker Julian Peterson, wide receiver Santana Moss, safety Troy Polamalu and guard Shawn Andrews.

On the opposite end of the spectrum were wide receiver Reidel Anthony and running back William Green, who were busts; wide receiver Kevin Dyson, a keen disappointment; and the last two No. 16 picks, defensive tackle Travis Johnson and defensive back Jason Allen, who have done next to nothing.

The last time the Packers had the 16th pick was 1994, when they wound up with guard Aaron Taylor.

If Thompson had his druthers, he'd probably like to find at No. 16 a pass-receiving tight end; a franchise running back; a big, speedy wide receiver with return ability; a dynamic safety, a shut-down cornerback; or a dominating defensive lineman.

Whatever you do, say those who associate with Thompson, don't typecast the man.

"Who's the best player?" he said. "If it's an offensive lineman, we'll take an offensive lineman. I've done it before. We draft based on long-term."

The Packers come off a season in which they ranked 31st in red-zone efficiency, by far their poorest finish in more than a decade. The problem is that no tight end appears worthy of even the 25th to 30th pick, let alone the 16th, and the running back pool has almost no depth after Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson and California's Marshawn Lynch.

Perhaps Thompson would entertain thoughts of trading up for Peterson, projected as a top-eight pick, or even Lynch, who figures to be taken in the middle of the round if some character issues are resolved.

Green Bay still needs a running back even if Ahman Green is re-signed before the start Friday of the unrestricted signing period.

"We're having good conversations with Ahman," Thompson said. "Whether anything gets done or not, I don't know. But that's free agency. It brings a little angst to your off-season."

Thompson said there were "a couple of players" that he would like to select at No. 16.

Several could be wide receivers, a position that ranks with safety and defensive end as the best in the draft.

After Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, wide receivers such as Southern California's Dwayne Jarrett, Ohio State's tandem of Ted Ginn Jr. and Anthony Gonzalez, Tennessee's Robert Meachem and South Carolina's Sidney Rice all could warrant the 16th pick.

Asked if he needed a player to fill one of the top three wide receiver berths, Thompson replied, "Not necessarily. But if it works out that way, that would be OK, too."

The top three safeties appear to be Louisiana State's LaRon Landry, Florida's Reggie Nelson and Miami's Brandon Meriweather. It's unlikely more than one will be gone by No. 16, but all have first-round ability.

"I think you can always use skill people, and I think all things would say we could use some more playmakers," Thompson said. "But it's way too early to start predicting that. I didn't even think about that fifth pick last year until we got through al the medicals and things like that. Some guys can fall off the world with a bad physical."

BallHawk
02-24-2007, 10:15 PM
TT being TT. He's doesn't have his mind set on anything, he's just throwing stuff out there and seeing what happens with it.

ND72
02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
I loved the question to Ted on NFL Network today, "Ted, what is your plan going into this years draft?".....before he even said anything, my buddy and I laughed, and said, "Like he's gonna tell you guys that. He won't even tell McCarthy what he's thinking right now for the possibility he might say something."

HarveyWallbangers
02-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Several could be wide receivers, a position that ranks with safety and defensive end as the best in the draft.

Encouraging.

RashanGary
02-24-2007, 11:25 PM
WR, DE and Safety as the deepest. I also like the tune of that Harv...

I'll take one of each please.

BallHawk
02-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Craig Davis, Reggie Nelson, and Charles Johnson?

That'd be nice.

PackerPro42
02-25-2007, 07:52 AM
I want Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Nelson, or Laron Landry, in that order.

VermontPackFan
02-25-2007, 10:17 AM
I want Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Nelson, or Laron Landry, in that order.

Really PackPro? I didnt realize you liked Lynch???????? :shock:

PackerPro42
02-25-2007, 10:19 AM
I gave some other options too. I'm not one minded and I'm open to other options. But Lynch is by far my favorite prospect at the #16 spot.

Fritz
02-25-2007, 10:31 AM
I love reading this stuff, but we've got to remember that McGinn - or any writer - knows what TT's gonna do or not do as much as you or I do. The premise of the article is that according to McGinn it would make sense not to trade down.

MadtownPacker
02-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Regardless of who he picks the team is now in good hands.

But he should get Fresno ST WR Paul Williams in the 2nd round if he is still available.

Fritz
02-25-2007, 11:57 AM
This is a good point Mad. I guess if TT drafts Ginn or Jarrett I can assume Ted has done more research on it than I have, and has shown an ability to hit on good players.

BooHoo
02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
blah, blah, blah. More general talk about nothing. Why do they even ask him these questions when we all know he's not going to show his hand to anyone? :)

Partial
02-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I gave some other options too. I'm not one minded and I'm open to other options. But Lynch is by far my favorite prospect at the #16 spot.

I'd like any of the safeties and would be fine with Lynch, but would prefer them to look at a receiver in the first. I like Lynch as a player but not as a person, and thus he's not my first choice.

Bring on Reggie Nelson. Kid is a baller!

Lurker64
02-25-2007, 09:48 PM
This is Thompson raising the price for anybody who wants to trade up to his spot this year.

SD GB fan
02-25-2007, 09:56 PM
i wouldnt mind TT trading at all. this year's 1st round is crowded with good players. pick up extra picks for later rounds. im also not sold on the projected lynch pick according to mock drafts and rumors. id like to have him, but TT has said that RB is a position that can be drafted later and still have an impact. DB or dline would be my preferred positions for the 1st round. but again, id would support lynch or whoever TT drafts.

BooHoo
02-26-2007, 08:43 AM
i wouldnt mind TT trading at all. this year's 1st round is crowded with good players. pick up extra picks for later rounds. im also not sold on the projected lynch pick according to mock drafts and rumors. id like to have him, but TT has said that RB is a position that can be drafted later and still have an impact. DB or dline would be my preferred positions for the 1st round. but again, id would support lynch or whoever TT drafts.

Good points. Based upon TT's earlier statements I am doubtful he will go with a RB in the first round.

Joemailman
02-26-2007, 09:26 AM
If TT gets a chance to to pick up an extra 2nd round pick by trading down in the 1st round, he may do so. However, I don't think he will be looking to turn 7 picks into 11-12 picks as he has the last couple of years.

Partial
02-26-2007, 09:46 AM
If TT gets a chance to to pick up an extra 2nd round pick by trading down in the 1st round, he may do so. However, I don't think he will be looking to turn 7 picks into 11-12 picks as he has the last couple of years.

Why? I think he will. Second day picks are crapshoots and there is a pretty good chance that you can get the same guy at 150 and 160 depending on the other teams needs that draft from 151-159. I think he'll do what he did last year, and bring a slew of bodies to camp and see what happens. The more the merrier I say, because the difference in college production generally between a 5th and a 6th rounder is very little. I'm all about the quantity and hope to find some sleepers.

Chester Marcol
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Another thing to keep in mind about whether TT looks to turn 7 into 11-12 again is the fact we don't have as much garbage on the team as we did. Most of Sherman's crap is gone. My point being, I think the average level of talent has come up a bit and there might not be enough room to keep that many rookies. 10 out of 12 picks are still on the team from last year's draft. Maybe TT doesn't see 8-10 open spots for the 2007 roster.

My guess is even TT doesn't know if he'll trade up or down or just stay put until shit starts happening. If there isn't value at thier pick and someone comes a callin, you'll see a trade down or 2. If there is value at a pick a few ahead of us, I think this is the year you see a trade up. I think this draft will give us a hint of where TT thinks this team is at. Keeping 10 rookies this year would surprise me considering how young we already are and that would tell me that TT thinks the core that he help build still needs work.

Partial
02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Another thing to keep in mind about whether TT looks to turn 7 into 11-12 again is the fact we don't have as much garbage on the team as we did. Most of Sherman's crap is gone. My point being, I think the average level of talent has come up a bit and there might not be enough room to keep that many rookies. 10 out of 12 picks are still on the team from last year's draft. Maybe TT doesn't see 8-10 open spots for the 2007 roster.

My guess is even TT doesn't know if he'll trade up or down or just stay put until shit starts happening. If there isn't value at thier pick and someone comes a callin, you'll see a trade down or 2. If there is value at a pick a few ahead of us, I think this is the year you see a trade up. I think this draft will give us a hint of where TT thinks this team is at. Keeping 10 rookies this year would surprise me considering how young we already are and that would tell me that TT thinks the core that he help build still needs work.

No way does he keep 10, but that doesn't mean he won't draft 11 and keep the best 53 players. :D

BooHoo
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Looks like we already have 8 picks. Our 1-7 rounds, plus a 7th round pick I believe from the Jets. If TT trades down only a few positions in the first round, we will pick up a 3rd rounder.

Chester Marcol
02-26-2007, 03:36 PM

No way does he keep 10, but that doesn't mean he won't draft 11 and keep the best 53 players. :D

Competition is never a bad thing. Were we the youngest team last year? If we keep 10 rookies this year, there'll be a college team or 2 older than us.

SD GB fan
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM

Competition is never a bad thing. Were we the youngest team last year? If we keep 10 rookies this year, there'll be a college team or 2 older than us.

almost. but favre is ruining the average. :roll: :wink: