Bretsky
02-25-2007, 01:18 AM
JS ONLINE: SPORTS: PACKERS: E-MAIL | PRINT
THIS STORY

2007 draft preview
By BOB McGINN
bmginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 24, 2007

Indianapolis - Based on interviews with executives in personnel from several NFL teams, it is possible to narrow down somewhat the pool of players who might be considered by the Green Bay Packers regardless of position if they exercise their current 16th pick in the first round of the NFL draft April 28-29.

Prospects are divided into three categories: As Good As Gone - barring negative developments, these players have no chance of lasting until the 16th pick; Probably Gone - players who have no better than a 50-50 chance of remaining on the board by the 16th pick; and The Next Level - players who figure to be taken next.

Here is an early look at the players who appear to fit into those categories (* - Denotes underclassmen who declared early for the draft):

AS GOOD AS GONE (6)
Calvin Johnson*, WR, Georgia Tech: 6 feet 5 inches, 239 pounds. Cross between Randy Moss and Keyshawn Johnson. "If you just did it as a player he could be the first pick," one scout said. "He's kind of got Keyshawn Johnson body control but he's got top speed. I don't think there's been one like this in a long time." Declared a year early after catching 76 passes for 1,202 yards (15.8 average) and 15 TDs in 2006. "You can scout him," another scout said. "He's sort of a strider who gains speed. He can run routes, he can catch, he can take balls away. He needs to work on his blocking, but he can destroy people when he wants to."

Joe Thomas, :worship: T, Wisconsin: 6-6 1/2, 311. Came back from a torn knee ligament suffered in January 2006 to establish himself as a top-five pick. "He's a level better than Paul Gruber," one scout said. "I've never seen a lineman do the things he does downfield. He's a little tight-hipped. In pass pro he doesn't sink well. He'll get pushed in pass pro some but not to the point where you're concerned about it at our level." Smart, committed and confident. "I don't think he's a great, great one," another scout said. "But he's good. He will be a left tackle and he'll be fine. He's the same type of guy as Gruber."

JaMarcus Russell*, QB, Louisiana State: 6-5, 265. Expected to weigh 255 but showed up at the combine carrying 10 extra pounds. "He's (Daunte) Culpepper strong with a Culpepper arm," one scout said. "Not as athletic as Culpepper when he came out running. If you're looking at what Vince Young did, he's going to be a tough guy to pass." Completed 67.8% in '06 and had an NFL passer rating of 114.3. "I think he's legit, but that's without talking to the kid and seeing how smart he is," another scout said. A natural-born leader a la Byron Leftwich with arm strength comparable to Doug Williams. "I just think reading coverages will be extremely difficult for him," said a third scout. "He'll throw a lot of picks and make a lot of bad decisions. If you try to confuse him with coverages, you can do that."

Adrian Peterson*, RB, Oklahoma: 6-1 1/2, 217. Bothered by ankle and shoulder problems during spectacular three-year career. "He runs upright, like Chris Brown in Tennessee," one scout said. "Which is conducive to getting the hell knocked out of you." Compared by many scouts to Eric Dickerson, by others to Steven Jackson. "You see what the Larry Johnson's have done," another scout said. "The big, fast backs. He's in that mold." Hard worker with exemplary work habits. "He's super-tough and a heck of a football player," a third scout said. "But it's a weird thing. When he gets tackled he falls bad. His legs get all tangled up. Every other play, you wonder if he's going to get up. I'm just really, really concerned about his injuries and the way he runs."

Jamaal Anderson*, DE, Nebraska: 6-6. 280. Amassed 13 1/2 sacks as a junior and declared. "You could make some comparisons to Mario Williams," one scout said. In high school, he played wide receiver and was a tremendous basketball player. "He's a freak," another scout said. "He's got a (expletive) of potential. He has feet, he can play the run and the pass." Didn't become a starter until mid-2005. "He's a very bright kid," a third scout said. "I know he has a lot of talent. I just wish I saw him flying to the ball more. I don't know what drives or motivates him."

Alan Branch*, DT, Michigan: 6-5 1/2, 324. Compared on Friday by Detroit coach Rod Marinelli to Shaun Rogers. "Looks the part," one scout said. "He will run fast. You'll see him just killing people on tape." At other times, he disappears. "When did he have a good game?" another scout said. "Against Wisconsin he played over a guard that's not very good. He stinks. He's not a quick-twitch guy. He can run once he gets off blocks but I never see him defeat people one-on-one. Never." Hails from Albuquerque, N.M. "He's a different type of bird," a third scout said. "You've got to deal with that. Like (Marshawn) Lynch. He's got that group of friends that aren't going away."

PROBABLY GONE (6)
Dwayne Jarrett*, WR, Southern California: 6-4, 215. Came out a year early after dominating the Rose Bowl and setting a Pacific 10-record with 41 touchdowns in 38 games. "He might somehow get a good time, but he's not fast and he doesn't play fast," one scout said. "But he's so damn big and physical. They just throw it up to him and he makes a ton of plays." Still, he's faster than Detroit's Mike Williams, another former Trojan. "Very instinctive receiver," another scout said. "More of an intermediate route runner. Good hands and body control."

Levi Brown, :x T, Penn State: 6-5, 323. Four-year starter. "He's every bit as athletic as Joe Thomas," one scout said. "Left tackle. He just has to be a little more consistent." Will coast against inferior opponents. "Mature and serious," another scout said. "You can see some inner grit in him. He will need some work in pass pro."

Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame: 6-3 1/2, 232. "He had so much pub so you're expecting this great, great guy," one scout said. "He's not a Peyton Manning coming out. :shock: :shock: He's a very similar (prospect) to Aaron Rodgers. People are questioning how good this guy is going to be. I think he'll start somewhere and you can win with him." Posted an NFL passer rating of 104.4 in '06 and scored 29 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. "He's got the arm strength, the size, the mobility," another scout said. "He definitely improved since Charlie Weis showed up there. He's just an inconsistent player." Tends to get flustered under pressure.

Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson: 6-4, 258. Played the run better as a senior and also registered 12 1/2 sacks. "When you see him he looks like the first pick in the draft, physically speaking," one scout said. "He's that 'wow' guy. But he's a hot and cold type player. You wish he had a little more glass in his diet." Other scouts have reservations about his effort and toughness. "He is a very casual, laid-back person," another scout said. "You've got to question mental toughness. But he has got all the ability you want." Added a third scout: "Not a dog by any stretch of the imagination but not always a top effort guy. Most likely he'll be a right end in a 4-3. He's going to rush the passer."

Lawrence Timmons*, LB, Florida State: 6-1, 234. Backed up Ernie Sims for two seasons before blossoming in '06. "This kid may be the most explosive hitter of all the defensive players," one scout said. "He plays all three positions. Puts his hand down, stands up, angles in. Sometimes on passing downs they move him into a three-technique. He can run." Could have used his senior season to hone unrefined skills. "Height-weight-speed guy," another scout said. "Not as productive as some of the players that played there in the past. (Buster) Davis made all the plays and Lawrence was standing around by the pile."

Leon Hall, CB, Michigan: 5-11, 193. Does a lot of things well but lacks burning speed and great ball skills. "He's along the lines of Ty Law," one scout said. "He will have to fit a system. He will start." Just not very dynamic. "You know what you're getting with the guy," another scout said. "Good tackler. He's tough. He gets his hands on balls. Great kid. Smart. He's going to be a 4.50 guy, maybe."

THE NEXT LEVEL (38)
Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State: 6-0, 180. One of the fastest players in the draft. "He's not going to be that guy that goes across the middle," one scout said. "He is your down-the-field vertical guy. Joey Galloway. Terry Glenn." Dropped too many passes in '06. Averaged 11.1 yards per punt return and 24.4 per kickoff return. "What's wrong with him?" another scout said. "I can live with timid. I think he just jumps out at you."

Robert Meachem*, WR, Tennessee: 6-2, 214. After a disappointing '05 season came back as a junior to catch 71 passes for 1,298 yards (18.3) and 11 TDs. "A lot of his yards are after the catch," one scout said. "Very strong runner. Very consistent player." :shock: Compared by another scout to Michael Irvin. "And he has speed," the scout said. "He's a really good kid. I'd take him after Johnson."
Anthony Gonzalez*, WR, Ohio State: 6-0, 193. Ran most of the inside patterns opposite Ginn and surprised some people by coming out early. "Not quite as fast as Ginn but he's fast," one scout said. "Very bright kid. And he isn't small." Always looking to improve. Sleeps in an oxygen-deprivation tent. Also could be a returner.

Sidney Rice*, WR, South Carolina: 6-3 1/2, 200. Had 72 catches for 1,178 yards (15.1) and 10 TDs as a third-year sophomore and came out. "He's silky smooth," one scout said. "Played on an awful, awful team. The quarterback was terrible. He's a tall, slender guy with a lot of talent." Often, coach Steve Spurrier just told his quarterbacks to put the ball up to Rice. Regarded as somewhat hard to coach. "He's not a real polished route runner," another scout. "But I don't think his character stuff is too bad."

Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU: 6-2, 221. Best senior wideout. "He's more of a possession tough guy," one scout said. "Does the dirty work. Really good body control. You love the competitor. He has his drops, too." Underwent corrective eye surgery before the '06 season and caught the ball much better. "He always will have to monitor his weight," another scout said. "He knows his limitation, which is his lack of speed. Great route runner. Strong hands. He'd be fun to coach."

Greg Olsen*, TE, Miami: 6-5 1/2, 258. Latest in the line of Hurricanes tight ends that includes Bubba Franks, Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow. "Good receiver but he won't block anybody," one scout said. "And he knows it, too. I talked to him at the Senior Bowl. First thing out of his mouth was, 'I know I need to block better.' " Picked a good year to come out because senior crop of tight ends is so weak. "He has quickness and speed to stretch the seams," another scout said. "He will provide matchup problems."

Ben Grubbs, G, Auburn: 6-2 1/2, 311. Followed strong senior season with impressive Senior Bowl. "There won't be a more athletic offensive lineman than him," one scout said. "I'm not saying he's Randall McDaniel athletic, but he's pretty damn good. And he's big." A tenacious battler who is eager to learn. "You want a safe pick, you take Ben," another scout said. "He's the best guard. I'd love to have him."

Arron Sears, G, Tennessee: 6-3, 319. Played left tackle in '06 but has played guard and is projected inside by most teams. "Big, thick wide-body," one scout said. "Got a little road-grader to him." Durable. Plays with pain. "He's got explosion, power," another scout said. "He'll get movement on the football."

Ryan Harris, T, Notre Dame: 6-4 1/2, 305. Started since the middle of his freshman year. Played as low as 275 in '06 but was 303 at the Senior Bowl and 305 at the combine. "He's not a naturally big guy," one scout said. "But he's athletic and smart and tough and all those other things." Added another scout: "He could play left tackle. But in year three or four you're going to say, 'We've got to get better.' "

Justin Blalock, G, Texas: 6-3, 320. His body lacks definition. "He is dumpy," one scout said. "Power guy. Stays on his feet. Thing about him, he plays heavy." Generally played right tackle but figures more as a guard. "We think he's tough," another scout said. "Some people there (Texas) didn't think he was that tough."

Ryan Kalil, C, USC: 6-3, 299. Not rated as highly as Ohio State's Nick Mangold a year ago but clearly the No. 1 center. "He's just an ultra-talented Jeff Faine, LeCharles Bentley type," one scout said. "Just a solid player." Added another scout: "He's just not going to be real big. He played his (expletive) off at the Senior Bowl and helped himself drastically down there. Everybody was saying he was going to have trouble with big people. Down there, you didn't notice it very much."

Joe Staley, T, Central Michigan: 6-6, 305. A former tight end with remarkable speed (4.75 seconds in the 40-yard dash) and agility. "The Senior Bowl sort of showed some chinks in his armor, but you don't want to rule him out because of that," one scout said. An athletic project with tremendous tools to mold. "Any time you get a guy as big as he is who can bend and slide. . . . He's not going to let himself fail because of his personality," another scout said. "He doesn't have the mass yet but he has some squareness in his play."

Tony Ugoh, T, Arkansas: 6-4 1/2, 305. More than athletic enough to be an NFL left tackle but has a long way to go. "He didn't play very well in the Senior Bowl, either," one scout said. "Talent-wise, he's got it all. Long arms. Smart kid. He's got what you're looking for." Member of the Razorbacks' track team and missed a lot of spring ball. "A lot of guys rave about him," another scout said. "But he's an edge blocker, not a square blocker. Great athlete, but I don't know if it will all come together."

Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan State: 6-3, 235. Fell apart in the second half of the Notre Dame game early in the season and completed a down senior season with an NFL passer rating of 80.3. "Then he looked like (expletive) at the Senior Bowl," one scout said. "But he's a big kid that's athletic. He's got everything." Scored 35 on the Wonderlic. Time and again, he was willing to play hurt. "His receivers couldn't catch helium-filled balloons," another scout said. "He lost both running backs. The defense was awful. What chance did he have? He has first-round ability. You've got to figure out why he was inconsistent."

Marshawn Lynch :pack: *, RB, California: 5-11, 215. "He has great vision as opposed to Peterson, who uses his speed," one scout said. "The key on him is how fast he is." Gained 1,356 yards (6.1) in '06. "Good toughness, smooth runner, got hands out of the backfield, secure ball carrier, has the skills to be a kick returner," another scout said. "I don't worry about him on the field. It's off the field that I worry about." Nagged by injuries and behavioral questions. "I think he's just kind of a pain in the (expletive)," a third scout said. "Nothing real bad but you're just getting a different type of guy. You just have to know there's some things there."

Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State: 6-1 1/2, 233. Rushed for 1,386 yards (5.0 average) as a senior, finishing his career with more carries than any back in school history. "He's just not going to be a speed guy," one scout said. "He's good. He's tough. He's not a bad guy at all but he's a little different. He doesn't say two words." Added another scout: "He has wonderful power."

Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville: 6-2, 302. Spent first 12 years of his life in Nigeria, began college career at 16 and won't turn 20 until June 10. "He reminds me of Danny Saleaumua, who became an all-pro in Kansas City," one scout said. "He's athletic, he's strong, just not a real bulky guy. Teams that move guys, he will fit." Made himself a ton of money with a big week at the Senior Bowl. "He's quick, athletic and young," another scout said. "Somebody will stick him in one of those Tampa 2 defenses."

Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska: 6-6, 308. Will play left end and possibly three-technique tackle in a 4-3 but also has the size to play end in a 3-4. "He's a lot like (Aaron) Kampman but he's a 300-pounder," one scout said. Not a great pass rusher but uses his brute strength to push blockers back and has adequate speed, too. "Everything that a Nebraska lineman has come to symbolize, he's got all those traits," another scout said. "Did you see 'Rocky 3?' " This guy looks exactly like the Russian. Drago."

Jarvis Moss*, DE, Florida: 6-5 1/2, 250. "He's a speed rusher," one scout said. "It would have behooved him to stay in and get stronger. He's an explosive edge rusher who will struggle against the run until he gets stronger." Projected to linebacker by some 3-4 teams. "Like Jevon Kearse, when he puts his hand on the ground he's way better," another scout said. "He was a better player than (Shawne) Merriman coming out."

Victor Abiamiri, DE, Notre Dame: 6-4, 268. Put up 10 1/2 sacks as a senior despite dealing with loads of double teams. "He'll be a better pro because they'll just let him go upfield," one scout said. "He can play the run well. Good pass rusher. He's a nice package."

LaMarr Woodley, DE, Michigan: 6-1, 269. Played with great effort and was more than respectable in '06 meeting against the Badgers' Joe Thomas. "He's such an intense, high-motor guy," one scout said. "But I'm not crazy about him." That's because he's short. Compared by another scout to Detroit's James Hall, another former Wolverine. Some say he'll be able to play linebacker in a 3-4. "He plays with good leverage, he uses his arms and hands well, he's got strength and pop," a third scout said. "But he is only a pass rusher."

Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia: 6-4 1/2, 250. Went from 6 1/2 sacks in 2004 and 11 1/2 in '05 to 3 1/2 in '06. "He's probably my biggest disappointment all season," one scout said. "He plays like a basketball player. I don't think he's a physical guy. He will have problems with size." Still, he's a special athlete who did play hoops for the Bulldogs as a freshman. "He's an athlete but he's scary as hell," another scout said.

Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue: 6-2 1/2, 262. Unlike Moses, he ascended as a senior after leading Division I-A in tackles for loss (26 1/2). "A bigger version of Woodley," one scout said. "He sure is a good player." Played hard and well week after week. "He's intense, kind of like Shawne Merriman intensity," another scout said. Registered 10 1/2 sacks. "He's a little short but he made a ton of plays and plays his (expletive) off," a third scout said. "He might not be a top, top athlete but he knows what he's doing as a pass rusher. Not just a pass rusher, either. He makes a lot of tackles where some guys don't."

Charles Johnson*, DE, Georgia: 6-2, 270. Led Bulldogs in sacks (9 1/2), tackles for loss (19) and passes broken up (10). "It was really strange," one scout said. "I just don't know if he knows what he's doing all the time. He doesn't play the run very well. I think he is really talented and he's a good kid and he plays hard. You just wonder why he wasn't as productive as you think he should be."

Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee: 6-4 1/2, 300. Suffered a torn biceps early in '06 and missed most of the season. "He's quicker than he is fast," one scout said. Projected as a left end in a 3-4 or a three-technique in a 4-3. "A lot of guys will compare him to John Henderson in terms of his person," another scout said. "Very country. He is the last person at Tennessee to wear 92, Reggie White's number. Now they will retire that number."

Ray McDonald, DT, Florida: 6-2 1/2, 276. Has had a pair of reconstructive operations on the same knee. "He's way better than (Alan) Branch," one scout said. "He's just not a real big guy. Multi-talented." Has the quickness to rush the passer inside and the power to play the run outside. "He's a base end and a nickel pass rusher," another scout said. "That's his strength. He can go either or. He's not great at either."

Tim Crowder, DE, Texas: 6-3 1/2, 270. Four-year starter at left end. "I'm still waiting for him to have a dominant game," one scout said. "He played pretty consistently and has a lot of natural ability. You'd like to see him dominate at some point." Had 8 1/2 sacks as a senior. "He gets all his sacks against lesser competition," another scout said. "When the real guys are there he don't show up. It scares you."

Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi: 6-1, 242. Middle linebacker for Ole Miss but probably can excel on the weak side, too. "He's fast, productive, smart, high character, got everything," one scout said. "He's the same guy and person as A.J. Hawk." Overcome the drowning death of his brother a year ago. "Little tight-hipped but he can run and he's tough as nails," another scout said.

Jon Beason*, LB, Miami: 6-0, 237. Fought through nagging knee injuries. "He's very tough," one scout said. "Midway through the season he got an MCL sprain and he just braced it up and played. Never missed a game." On the smallish side and probably played better in '05 than '06. "He's the best inside backer in the draft," another scout said. "He's not real big. That's his problem. But he's really got great instincts. He runs all over the field."

Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State: 6-1 1/2, 238. Damaged knee ligaments in January 2006 but didn't need surgery and was back playing in a brace by September. "He is a lot like Rocky Calmus, who came out of Oklahoma a few years ago," one scout said. "Really good college football player whose body isn't made to play in the NFL. He's instinctive and pretty smart and makes plays. At some point, just like Rocky, his body is going to fail him. Chad Greenway has a similar body but is a little better athlete."

LaRon Landry, :pack: S, LSU: 6-2, 205. Better than his brother, Dawan, a fifth-round pick who started at strong safety for Baltimore in '06. "He's like Mike Brown but a level better in talent," one scout said. "Not a leader like Mike Brown. He's a natural. He goes top 15 with a great workout." Not as good as Baltimore's Ed Reed but big, powerful and explosive. "There's some questions about him," another scout said. "I don't know how smart he is."

Reggie Nelson* :pack: , S, Florida: 6-0, 197. Gifted ball-hawk with speed and range. "When they throw the ball up he's all over it," one scout said. "Great athlete." Junior-college transfer who struggled academically, but the Gator coaches vouch for his football intelligence. "It doesn't show up on tape, it really doesn't," another scout said. "He's all over the place. He's not a killer like Landry can be, but he's so much more athletic." His mother died Dec. 28 after a three-year battle with breast cancer.

Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami: 6-0, 195. "He's 195 pounds but he can cover and he's tough," one scout said. "If you wanted to move him down and play him in nickel stuff, I think he could do that. He has played a little corner for them." Dinged by some on character issues, including a one-game suspension for stomping on a Florida International player. "He's got first-round ability," another scout said. "But as soon you draft him that article will be written."
Michael Griffin, S, Texas: 5-11 1/2, 195. Doesn't play as good as he looks. "He's athletic but he doesn't play with his eyes," one scout said. "He lets things go by that he should be picking up in coverage." Two-year starter equally adept at run or pass. "I don't get all lit up about him," another scout said. "He's tough enough. He doesn't do anything real special."

Darrelle Revis*, CB, Pittsburgh: 5-11 1/2, 200. If he runs a fast 40 here Tuesday, he might be the second cornerback taken. "The workout will seal where he will go," one scout said. "Is he going to run a 4.58 or a 4.42? Looks more like a safety. Real good athlete. Punt returner (8.6) for them. Got really good ball skills. Will come up and force. Just a solid football player." Started almost from the moment he stepped on campus in 2004.

Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State: 6-0 1/2, 199. Disappointing senior season might have cost him a berth in the first round. "He's probably the most talented of all the corners," one scout said. "He's big, he's fast, he's not a killer but he's not afraid, either." Fresno coach Pat Hill, a former NFL assistant, has influenced scouts by telling them McCauley quit on the team in '06. "You'll play a lot of bump-and-run or press coverage with this guy and try to rattle the receivers," another scout said.

Aaron Ross, CB, Texas: 6-0 1/2, 192. The positives include three TDs as a punt returner, good instincts and keen ball skills. The main negative is speed. "You watch him against Ohio State, Kansas State I think it was and Iowa, the fast guys run by him," one scout said. "I like him, too. I just don't know how fast he is. If we're talking about a 4.6 guy, no way."

Chris Houston*, CB, Arkansas: 5-11, 190. Followed in the footsteps and style of Ahmad Carroll. "Same guy," one scout said. Lined up in press coverage on almost every snap. "He really came on the scene this year," another scout said. "Really a very confident type player. He won't work out extremely well. He'll have to be a Cover 2 corner so he's not exposed speed-wise. He had a really good year."

Bretsky
02-25-2007, 01:35 AM
At this point I've marked the three I'm hoping TT chooses from.

I think it's possilbe one of the very talented WR's falls to round 2.

Meecham is very intriguing.

B

pack4to84
02-25-2007, 05:58 AM
With Barber gone, Giants show interest in McGahee
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Buffalo Bills are using part of their time here at the NFL scouting combine this weekend to apprise teams that starting tailback Willis McGahee is available via trade, and it appears they have attracted the interest of at least one potential suitor.

Willis McGahee
Running Back
Buffalo Bills

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD
259 990 6 18 156 0

Jerry Reese, the first-year general manager of the New York Giants, acknowledged Saturday morning that his team has some interest in McGahee, a four-year veteran who has twice posted 1,000-yard seasons.

If Bills trade McGahee then Lynch is going with the 12th pick.

PackerPro42
02-25-2007, 07:37 AM
As of now it's all rumors.

BallHawk
02-25-2007, 07:50 AM

B

I agree, Meecham would be a very solid pick at #46.

PackerPro42
02-25-2007, 07:54 AM
I also agree, Meachem reminds me kind of reminds me of T.O. without the attitude problem or the dropped balls.

packrulz
02-25-2007, 08:13 AM
I think Lynch will be gone, probably Landry, Nelson, and Hall too, 15 picks ahead of the Pack is a lot. I'm not sold on Ginn Jr. The lack of pass rush and weak play at the safety position concern me the most for the Packers. They also need better production at WR & TE. If those guys are all gone I like Meachem, WR, Tenn., because of his size and he gets a lot of YAC, which is important in the Packers offense. Victor Abiamiri, DE, ND, has the size and ability, we need more production from the DE's. Michael Griffin, S, Texas, interests me because he likes to hit and punish WR's & RB's so much, the Pack really hasn't had a safety like that in years. Greg Olsen, TE, Miami would be a nice pick too, they taught Chewy how to block. One dilemma that I wonder about is what if Brady Quinn is still there when TT picks. I think he has to take him because Favre is going to retire in a year or so, Rogers hasn't proven himself yet and might be prone to injuries. TT has to prepare for the post Favre era and Quinn is too good of a QB to still be there at the 16th pick, many boards have him listed as the top QB prospect.

Joemailman
02-25-2007, 08:28 AM
THE COYLE CORNER

by Frank Coyle, editor of the Draft Insider's Digest.

(Ed. note. Frank Coyle, one of the best known and well-respected draft 'gurus' in the business, not to mention one of the top NFL analysts period, has kindly offered to provide some of his insights. Frank is the editor of Draft Insider's Digest now in its 15th season. A former pro scout, Frank also has many radio and television appearances on his resume. Frank's 2006 Draft Monthly Newsletters are now available by calling 1-800-776-1949.)

Top 100 Pro Prospects for the 2007 Draft

February 25, 2007

* indicates underclassmen
<> 1 * Calvin Johnson WR 6-4, 235 Georgia Tech
2. Joe Thomas OT 6-8, 305 Wisconsin
3 * Adrian Peterson RB 6-2, 220 Oklahoma
4.* JaMarcus Russell QB 6-6, 255 LSU
5. Gaines Adams DE 6-4, 265 Clemson
6. Brady Quinn QB 6-4, 230 Notre Dame
7 * Ted Ginn WR 6-0, 180 Ohio State
8.* Jamaal Anderson DE 6-6, 255 Arkansas
9. LaRon Landry FS 6-2, 205 LSU
10.* Alan Branch DT 6-6, 330 Michigan
11.* Dwayne Jarrett WR 6-5, 210 USC
12. Levi Brown OT 6-5, 325 Penn State
13.* Marshawn Lynch RB 5-10,223 California
14.* Greg Olsen TE 6-5. 255 Miami
15. Leon Hall CB 5-11,195 Michigan
16.* Sidney Rice WR 6-1 190 South Carolina
17. Paul Poluszny LB 6-1, 238 Penn State
18. Amobi Okoye DT 6-2, 290 Louisville
19.* Lawrence Timmons LB 6-3, 230 Florida State
20.* Darrelle Revis CB 5-11,190 Pittsburgh
21.* Zach Miller TE 6-5, 260 Arizona State
22. Daymeion Hughes CB 6-2, 190 California
23. Adam Carriker DE 6-5, 280 Nebraska
24.* Reggie Nelson DB 6-1, 190 Florida
25. Jon Beason LB 6-0, 225 Miami
26.* Jarvis Moss DE 6-6, 255 Florida
27. Aaron Ross CB 6-0, 195 Texas
28.* Charles Johnson DE 6-2, 275 Georgia
29. Michael Griffin FS 6-0, 205 Texas
30. Ryan Kalil OC 6-2, 290 USC
31. LaMarr Woodley DE 6-2, 270 Michigan
32. Justin Blalock OG 6-4, 330 Texas
33. Patrick Willis LB 6-2, 230 Mississippi
34. Marcus McCauley CB 6-0, 210 Fresno State
35. * Brandon Siler LB 6-1, 235 Florida
36. Anthony Spencer DE 6-3, 260 Purdue
37. * Eric Wright CB 5-11, 190 UNLV
38. Dwayne Bowe WR 6-2, 220 LSU
39. Brian Leonard FB 6-2, 235 Rutgers
40. Victor Abiamiri DE 6-3, 260 Notre Dame
41. Quinn Pitcock DT 6-2, 295 Ohio State
42. Drew Stanton QB 6-3, 230 Michigan State
43. Quentin Moses DE 6-5, 250 Georgia
44. Justin Harrell DT 6-3, 305 Tennessee
<>45. Rufus Alexander LB 6-1, 230 Oklahoma
46. Tank Tyler DT 6-0, 330 North Carolina State
47. Brandon Meriweather FS 6-0, 190 Miami
48. * Robert Meachem WR 6-2, 205 Tennessee
49. Joe Staley OT 6-5, 295 Central Michigan
50. Brandon Mebane DT 6-1, 305 California
51. Tony Hunt RB 6-0, 220 Penn State
52. Tony Ugoh OT 6-5, 300 Arkansas

53. Tim Crowder DE 6-3, 270 Texas
54. * Chris Houston CB 5-10, 180 Arkansas
55. Kenny Irons RB 5-10,205 Auburn
56. Prescott Burgess LB 6-3, 245 Michigan
57. Eric Weddle SS 6-0, 200 Utah
58. H.B. Blades LB 6-0, 245 Pittsburgh
59. Fred Bennett CB 6-0, 200 South Carolina
60. Arron Sears OT 6-6, 330 Tennessee
61. Mkristo Bruce DE 6-6, 255 Washington State
62. Earl Everett LB 6-2, 235 Florida
63. * Antonio Pittman RB 5-11, 200 Ohio State
64. Doug Free OT 6-6, 305 Northern Illinois
65. Ray McDonald DL 6-4, 275 Florida
66. Johnnie Lee Higgins WR 6-2, 180 UTEP
67. Dan Bazuin DE 6-3, 270 Central Michigan
68. * Michael Bush RB 6-2, 245 Louisville
69. Troy Smith QB 6-1, 215 Ohio State
70. Aundrae Allison WR 5-11, 185 East Carolina
71. Jonathan Wade CB 5-10, 185 Tennessee
72. * Darius Walker RB 5-10, 200 Notre Dame
73. * Anthony Gonzalez WR 5-11,190 Ohio State
74. Michael Johnson FS 6-3, 215 Arizona
75. Lorenzo Booker RB 5-10, 195 Florida State
76. Aaron Rouse SS 6-3, 220 Virginia Tech
77. Ryan Harris OT 6-5, 295 Notre Dame
78. Jason Hill WR 6-2, 210 Washington State
79. Kevin Kolb QB 6-3, 225 Houston
80. Marcus Thomas DT 6-2, 290 Florida
81. Josh Beekman OG 6-2, 325 Boston College
82. * C.J. Gaddis CB 6-0, 205 Clemson
83. * Rory Johnson LB 6-1, 235 Mississippi
84. Joe Newton TE 6-7, 255 Oregon State
85. David Harris LB 6-1, 245 Michigan
86. Baraka Atkins DE 6-4, 265 Miami
87. Buster Davis LB 5-11, 245 Florida State
88. Jay Moore DE 6-4, 270 Nebraska
89. Tanard Jackson CB 6-0, 195 Syracuse
90. Paul Williams WR 6-1, 210 Fresno State
91. Scott Chandler TE 6-7, 260 Iowa
92. Ben Grubbs OG 6-3 305 . Auburn
93. Juwan Simpson LB 6-2, 225 Alabama
94. Dallas Baker WR 6-2, 205 Florida
95. Kareen Brown DT 6-4, 310 Miami
96. Chansi Stuckey WR 5-10, 185 Clemson
97. Tarell Brown CB 6-0, 200 Texas
98. Stewart Bradley LB 6-3, 255 Nebraska
99. Mason Crosby PK 6-2, 210 Colorado
100. John Wendling FS 6-1, 220 Wyoming

The GREAT BLUE NORTH DRAFT REPORT is a division of SQUITERLAND ENTERPRISES, Ottawa, Ontario,Canada

Keeping in mind that is is a list of prospects and not a mock draft, it is interesting that both Brandon Meriweather and Robert Meacham are rated just below the Packers 2nd round pick placement. TT would have an interesting decision to make if both of those guys were available in Round 2.

red
02-25-2007, 08:42 AM
just looking at all those names that should be there when we pick makes me happy

we will get a great player that will help this team, no matter what

Joemailman
02-25-2007, 09:32 AM
I agree Red. There are a lot of good prospects at positions of need for the Packers, especially Safety and Wide Receiver. Tight End is a little weak, but I've never been crazy about the idea of drafting a Tight End on the 1st round anyway.

Fritz
02-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Just not Ted Ginn. Pleez pleez pleez not Ted Ginn. As Tomlinson wrote, he's another Peter Warrick waiting to happen.

Bretsky
02-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Just not Ted Ginn. Pleez pleez pleez not Ted Ginn. As Tomlinson wrote, he's another Peter Warrick waiting to happen.

Ginn is faster than Warrick. I find him intriguing as a prospect. If he can offer a team some WR help and Jesse Hester like return ability he'll make somebody really happy.

Fritz
02-25-2007, 11:52 AM
We disagree on this. I think he's not all that much. You can get Steve Breaston later in the draft and have the same basic guy. No Ted Ginn, no Dwayne Jarrett, please.

TopHat
02-25-2007, 01:56 PM

B

"Sidney Rice is a better route runner, he has excellent hand-eye coordination and very good hands, is an extremely difficult matchup in the red zone, and is physical. Robert Meacham is a burner that drops passes, isn't a very good blocker, and he is not physical enough to get out of most cornerback jams in college. Imagine him going up a bump and run scheme in the NFL. You guys want speed, well I want height, physicalness, catching ability, smarts, a red zone threat...Sidney Rice."

Fritz
02-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Ummm...whose quote, TopHat?

Bretsky
02-25-2007, 02:15 PM

B

"Sidney Rice is a better route runner, he has excellent hand-eye coordination and very good hands, is an extremely difficult matchup in the red zone, and is physical. Robert Meacham is a burner that drops passes, isn't a very good blocker, and he is not physical enough to get out of most cornerback jams in college. Imagine him going up a bump and run scheme in the NFL. You guys want speed, well I want height, physicalness, catching ability, smarts, a red zone threat...Sidney Rice."

I think Meecham is an option for round two; great ability to run after the catch. Rice will be gone by round 2 IMO; I'm not sure I want him at pick #16. If they trade down to the 21-25 range he's be a great pickup in that area.

B

Fritz
02-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I like it, Bretsky. Trade down, get more second and third rounders. There's lots of NFL players there that we don't know about.

Bretsky
02-25-2007, 02:49 PM
I like it, Bretsky. Trade down, get more second and third rounders. There's lots of NFL players there that we don't know about.

Last year it was a no brainer to go for Hawk.

This year, the depth of decent talent makes it an ideal year to trade down, especially in the first, and pick up three good players out of the top 60.

I think if they trade down in round one they can still get a very good WR like Rice, Bowe, or Meecham, or a very good safety like Merriweather if we aren't terribly afraid of his character.

ND72
02-25-2007, 02:51 PM
This year, the depth of decent talent makes it an ideal year to trade down, especially in the first, and pick up three good players out of the top 60.

I think if they trade down in round one they can still get a very good WR like Rice, Bowe, or Meecham, or a very good safety like Merriweather if we aren't terribly afraid of his character.

TOTALLY 100% without question agree. The depth of this draft is awesome. I think we are in prime position this year to drop down in round 1, grab another day pick (or more) and get some more talent that way.