PDA

View Full Version : what if the Pack offer a nice contract to Walker?

Tony Oday
04-24-2006, 10:37 PM
think he would take it?

CyclonePackFan
04-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Hell no. "I'd rather retire than play another game in Green Bay."

Bretsky
04-24-2006, 10:42 PM
think he would take it?

I think Walker could eventually come back if we gave him some tough love and then made up. Javon Walker is getting bad advice from those around him; he needs to get in camp and then see what happens.

That being said, it would be un TT like to give him an aggressive offer until he sees him excel back on the field. That would require a gamble.

jack's smirking revenge
04-24-2006, 10:53 PM
I think that brings up the argument of "can money buy anything?" For a crazy price beyond what the Pack are willing to spend, I think Javon (and his crazy family) would be willing to change his mind. Heck, I think Javon may even buy a new house in GB to replace the old one that he sold if that were the case. But spending a crazy amount of cash to fix a bridge that's been broken causes more harm than good.

The answer? Yes, Javon would probably return if we paid him an insane contract. Should we? No. He doesn't want to be a Packer. He is resentful of the team. And his family, which is obviously the most important piece of this whole puzzle, DEFINITELY doesn't want him to be a Packer.

Money is the wrong glue to use to fix a relationship.

tyler

GrnBay007
04-24-2006, 11:15 PM
The Walker problems bother me way more than the Mac deal did. I really hate to see Walker leave and it made me sad to hear him trash talking about playing in GB. Having said that, I really don't want to see anyone playing in GB who's heart is not in it. He's already went public with his heart not being in it so I don't want to see him in G&G again. He's now like an unfaithful lover.....GTFO! :razz:

Joemailman
04-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Javon said he would rather retire than play for GB. When he sold his house, he showed he wasn't bluffing. It's a strong draft this year. If Denver will give us a 2nd rounder, TT shouldn't hesitate. I don't think Javon is a strong enough person to handle the type of situation he would have created with his comments if he decided to return. This relationship is over.

Partial
04-24-2006, 11:18 PM
you guys are smoking mary jane too much!

throw walker a deal where he makes some fat bank and he's here in a heartbeat.

give him an long-term encentive based deal and I am not so sure, but if its guaranteed he's here 100% for sure.

The dudes all about the benjamins, baby.

jack's smirking revenge
04-24-2006, 11:23 PM
But money doesn't fix the general fan's resentment of Walker. Beyond a small majority of people who will like him no matter what, I think the public has soured on him. The average Packer fan doesn't have patience for a player that doesn't want to be a Packer. Yes, we could throw lots of greenbacks his way, far more than he deserves, and get him locked up, but what would that really gain? With him and his family's temper tantrums in the media, he's ruined his image--with the majority of fans AND with his endorsers. He dried his own well with his actions.

A vast majority of the Packer populus won't take him back as a matter of integrity. Packer fans are not like Raiders or Cowboys fans, where it don't matter how much you pay a guy so long as he plays. Packer fans, and the Packer team, are big on character. Javon has shown that he lacks strength of character.

Money is always an option, but even if he gets his money, I'm not welcoming him back with open arms. Has Brett ever thrown out a retirement threat? Not that I can remember; he's just indecisive.

tyler

RashanGary
04-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Walker made a mistake. If he came back and T.T. offered him a fat contract shortly after I would support both him and T.T. in the move.

You don't get better by letting your star players go. Wahle got away. I don't want to see Walker get away too.

No Mo Moss
04-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Yeah, why not get him back and front load a contract. I will judge TT on this draft, but will also pay special attention to how he handles Walkers situation. Mike Sherman handled the MM thing terribly, the worst case scenario. He kept him just long enough to disrupt the team chemistry, then dropped him. You can't let pro-bowl players go like that. If TT can get him here and productive I will be even more of a believer.

oregonpackfan
04-25-2006, 12:18 AM
I think Walker has already burned his bridges behind him. It is very unlikely the Packers will offer him a big contract. Even if they did offer the contract, I suspect Walker would turn it down to save face.

Oregonpackfan

GrnBay007
04-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Walker made a mistake. If he came back and T.T. offered him a fat contract shortly after I would support both him and T.T. in the move.

You don't get better by letting your star players go. Wahle got away. I don't want to see Walker get away too.

Wahle wanted to stay. Walker made his bed ..."mistake" or not.

No Mo Moss
04-25-2006, 12:31 AM
I think we'll find out sooner than later.

RashanGary
04-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Wahle wanted to stay. Walker made his bed ..."mistake" or not.

Javon is a star player who works hard. I'd hate to see him go.

RashanGary
04-25-2006, 12:48 AM
I like to think this can be mended. Walker was upset but he's panicing a bit because he feels he might never make his $$ and he worked really hard to get it.

Guiness
04-25-2006, 12:54 AM
STOP TALKING ABOUT WAHLE!

Why, oh why didn't we pay that man? Oh ya. Guards are easy to replace. Fing stupid idea that was.

Rastak
04-25-2006, 06:58 AM
you guys are smoking mary jane too much!

throw walker a deal where he makes some fat bank and he's here in a heartbeat.

give him an long-term encentive based deal and I am not so sure, but if its guaranteed he's here 100% for sure.

The dudes all about the benjamins, baby.

No it isn't, guys like Eddie George or that former packers gaurd for Cleveland....damn, can't think of his name now...they either quit or took a pay cut on principle. If I looked hard enough I think I would find several examples.I agree it's usually about the benjamins, but not always.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 07:13 AM
Didn't Arrington just PAY $4million to get out of Washington? Was his New York contract worth so much more? He gave up a "slightly better" deal to go there as well.

swede
04-25-2006, 07:22 AM
If he doesn't come back, the sad thing about Javon Walker is that he was on the brink of becoming a true Packer star for the ages--someone to be placed among the second tier of great Packer stars such as Brockington, Lofton, or Butler. The hard work was there; patience is what he lacked.

Now his whole Packer career is about to become, in the words of Ron Wolf, a fart in the wind.

You smell something?

sniff sniff

nope.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Packer fans are having a hard time accepting that Walker is not coming back.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Not all of us.

Partial
04-25-2006, 10:05 AM
No it isn't, guys like Eddie George or that former packers gaurd for Cleveland....damn, can't think of his name now...they either quit or took a pay cut on principle. If I looked hard enough I think I would find several examples.I agree it's usually about the benjamins, but not always.

That's why I specified Walker. Walker is 100% about the benjamins.

Partial
04-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Didn't Arrington just PAY $4million to get out of Washington? Was his New York contract worth so much more? He gave up a "slightly better" deal to go there as well.

Arrington "bought" out of his contract. Remember, that is still being investigated. That is a shiesty situation that put Washington just barely under the cap by the deadline. Arrington is a less shiesty guy than Walker that I honestly believe wanted to play football more than anything.

Chester Marcol
04-25-2006, 10:29 AM
The only thing Arrington did was forego his bonus of 4something million which made him a free agent. Lavar didn't spend one penny out of his pocket.

Rastak
04-25-2006, 10:34 AM

That's why I specified Walker. Walker is 100% about the benjamins.

Well, I don't know him as well as you do but here's my observations. Walker, like many athletes seems to equate money to respect. I don't agree with that myself. They then feel disrepected by a) contract demands not being met b) star player seeming to take managements side.

The battle then stops being about money and turns into a different thing altogether. That's where this has gone from what I've seen. Since I can only go by quotes in the paper and never having spoken to the man, I certainly could be wrong on this....but think I'm right.

FavreChild
04-25-2006, 11:44 AM
The battle then stops being about money and turns into a different thing altogether.

Agree. This has been going on for more than a year, and the situation has definitely deteriorated to a level where Javon's too frustrated to stay, regardless of the paycheck size. A new contract would be like a band-aid on a battle ax wound.

He's mentally checked out of the organization. It's tempting to believe that money will erase the old frustrations that have piled up for 18 months, but it never works in the long-run.

Personally, I won't harbor any ill will against Walker whether he stays or not.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2006, 12:21 PM
The Walker situation really hurts, he was the best player on the team.

Looking back at the McKenzie situation, it would have been best for Sherman to deal McKenzie in March. I didn't think so at the time, but in hindsight, the Packers only continued to lose as time went on.

I wish Thompson & Walker could have worked something out in private in February 2005. Now, again, we have another mutually-destructive public battle. I don't know whether to blame Thompson or Walker, because I don't know what efforts Walker made to settle things privately.

I'm sure the best course is to unload Walker as quickly as possible.