PDA

View Full Version : Jenkins extension finalized!

cuqui
02-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Thought this merited it's own thread ... sounds like another sound deal by TT, Andrew Brandt and company....

MONDAY, Feb. 26, 2007, 12:27 p.m.
By Tom Silverstein

Packers, Jenkins agree on 4-year extension

The Green Bay Packers have reached an agreement with defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins on a four-year, $15 million contract extension, a National Football League source said today.

Jenkins, who was scheduled to become a restricted free agent Friday, had been seeking the security of a long-term deal. The Packers, in turn, were hoping to lock up the promising young lineman before free agency started so that they didn't have to worry about other teams pursuing him.

The $15 million deal includes a signing bonus of around $6 million and will pay Jenkins $6.8 million in 2007. At most, Jenkins would have received around $1.3 million this year had he signed a tender offer submitted by the Packers.

Jenkins had a breakout year last season, emerging as the starting right end the final month of the season. Seeking better play against the run, the Packers benched pass-rushing end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and inserted the bigger Jenkins into the lineup.

The play of the defense improved almost immediately and Jenkins continued to have an effect as a pass rusher, both at end on early downs and at tackle on passing downs. Because Jenkins can play inside, the Packers were able to put their three best pass rushers - KGB, Aaron Kampman and Jenkins - on the field at the same time in passing situations.
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=2/26/2007&id=19676

woodbuck27
02-26-2007, 01:02 PM
That contract was pretty well predicted by some posters here at PACKERRATS. :)

Nice to have him wrapped.

Tony Oday
02-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Damn nice work

red
02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
not bad

sounds like a fair deal that doesn't have a lot of risk involved

look at there, i guess it wasn't an insane idea that he shouldn't get 5 million a year

Joemailman
02-26-2007, 01:08 PM
That contract was pretty well predicted by some posters here at PACKERRATS. :)

Nice to have him wrapped.

Good to know TT is listening to us.

Partial
02-26-2007, 01:10 PM
not bad

sounds like a fair deal that doesn't have a lot of risk involved

look at there, i guess it wasn't an insane idea that he shouldn't get 5 million a year

Most of us were saying 4 to 4.5 a year...

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Love the deal, great job TT.

Now bring back Ahman.

wist43
02-26-2007, 01:33 PM
We can put this debate to rest... good signing.

Contract came in right around where it should have... keeps a good young player in the fold at a reasonable number.

The Jenkins/KGB combo at RDE is a pretty good one... KGB is a completely different player when he's fresh. Fresh, he's a very quick upfield rusher - I would expect that his numbers will go up.

MJZiggy
02-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Great news. Glad to see a good one staying around. I bet he's like Kampman last year and will only get better and work harder after the payday. Love that.

Packnut
02-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I can live with this one. If it turns out a mistake, it's not one that is gonna ruin us.

BooHoo
02-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Yes, good job getting this done prior to Friday. Okay, who is next? Maybe we can sign Green within the next few days and then go after a TE and Safety in FA.

red
02-26-2007, 02:21 PM
i'd like to get green done before he hits the market

gbpackfan
02-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Yes! I love that this deal got done. It is always good to see guys like Jenkins, Kampman, Driver and Harris get rewarded. Sounds like the deal was fair for both sides. I am impressed.

pbmax
02-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Love the numbers, even lower than the rumors, but I hope the full $6 million is not just a signing bonus. At least part of it needs to be roster bonus for this year.

Cheesehead Craig
02-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Very reasonable numbers. Well done TT.

red
02-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Love the numbers, even lower than the rumors, but I hope the full $6 million is not just a signing bonus. At least part of it needs to be roster bonus for this year.

i don't think TT would do that, he seems to like the roster bonus game

i'd expect a 2 million roster bonus, and a signing bonus of 4 million

thats a nice manageable PRSB number, just in case for some reason you have to let him go down the road, and its a nice cap number for this season (around 3.7 million)

ND72
02-26-2007, 04:39 PM
all i have to say is Yahoo! Good for everyone!

CaliforniaCheez
02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Tom Silverstien did not report how much of the up front money is a roster bonus and how much is signing bonus. It would be best if most of it was a roster bonus.

BobDobbs
02-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Definintely good news. We'll see how good Jenkins can be. I don't think he'll pull a Cletidus. Even out of college Hunt was known as a guy who didn't work very hard. I haven't seen Jenkins taking plays off, so it just seems to be a question of talent and getting him to study film with Kampman.
I'm also betting that KGB will accept a pay cut as a part time player, which means this signing may end up saving us more money. Although if KGB can get back up to double digit sack totals he's probably worth the money.

Good off season so far!

RashanGary
02-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Good news. I think he'll slightly out play that deal in the long run. Even if we find a superstud DE, Jenkins is so versitile and effective that he'll get on the field for his 70% of the snaps anyway. This is a good move IMO.

It also relieves some of the pressure we had to use our cap money on overpriced FA's.

The best you can hope for with any UFA like Pickett, Manuel and Woodson is that they play up to their contracts. They get paid so much that you never dream of getting a "bargain" and if you do it is so rare. This signing is of the RFA type and was signed with team friendly tenders in mind. This is a contract taht you look at and think "well, this could be a really friendly contract if he plays up to his full potential". You never say that with a UFA.

Scott Campbell
02-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Funny. The reaction to this deal is pretty unanimous. Everybody is pretty much saying good work Ted.

When Sherman used to extend guys, the reaction was pretty unanimous too - "He gave him how much??????"

the_idle_threat
02-26-2007, 11:30 PM
This signing is great news. A great deal for a relatively young, ascending player.

Kiwon
02-27-2007, 03:29 AM
Agreed. Jenkins has earned this extension. Hopefully he will have a breakout year like Kampman did.

packrulz
02-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Jenkins is worth that because he can play DT or DE. I still think KGB will get over 10 sacks playing on passing downs, he'll be more effective that way. Montgomery should hopefully give Kampman a breather now and then too.