PDA

View Full Version : Thompson's Defining Moments

Packnut
02-26-2007, 01:47 PM
These next 2 months will have a HUGE impact on Thompson and even more crucial, on the future of our team. This will be TT's defining moments.

I still believe the majority of the Packer nation is on the fence with what Teddy has done. No doubt mistakes have been made, but also some positives have been accomplished. No matter whether you see the glass half full or half empty, I think we can all agree that what our GM does over the coming weeks will determine the path this franchise takes for years to come.

First off, there are some free agents that can have an immediate positive impact. I think it's only logical that as fans, we differ on who they are, but I believe it's safe to assume that the over-whelming majority of us agree that 1 or 2 signings will make a huge impact on our future. Our biggest need on defense at saftey can have the largest bearing on how good our D really is. After DE, an arguement can be made that saftey is the next most important part of a defense in today's NFL. Hamlin and Grant might both be available and adding either one imo makes our defense a top 6 or 7 unit.

I would agree that it's slim pickings on the offensive side as far as free agency goes. As much as most of us want Graham, his price tag is rising minute by minute. I've resigned myself to the fact that getting any of the available guys on offense will cost way to much. It just makes spending all available cash on the defensive side of the ball a much more sensible approach to take. I think all of us can stomach over-paying for a guy who will take our D to the next level rather than a guy like Graham or Stallworth who will not have the same impact on the offensive side.

May-be I'm wrong, but it appears to me that this is the deepest draft I've seen in a long time. This draft is Thompson's true litmus test. I think Ted's gotta be feeling pretty good sitting at 16. His options are wide open. In fact with all the choices there will be at that slot, I fail to see how he can make a "bad" pick. With the new talk of Buffalo being so unhappy with their present situation at RB, Lynch more than likely will be gone at 16. TT will then have a choice to make at WR unless 2 things happen. First would be striking out at the saftey position in free agency. Second would be one of the top 2 guys at that position in the nation being available at 16.

Let's say that for whatever the reason, Lynch still being there or going defense, we don't get a WR in the first round. This is where it could get interesting. TT has shown he's not afraid to go to the smaller programs like he did with Jennings. There are a couple of WR's from the small schools that could make Thompson look like a genious if they pan out.

With all the options open to him, this is his make or break time. As much as I'm excited about what he could pull off, I also have this sinking feeling that my first gut impressions of Ted Thompson turn out right. I'm mortified that he actually means it when he has stated Manuel is a good saftey and he is'nt writing him off after 1 season. I also get cold sweats when I picture him trading down. There are just to many good options at 16 to even consider trading down. The very real nightmare of Morency being our #1 RB next season is also reason enough to vomit.

It's all up to you Mr Thompson. Make the right choices now and some day you might be mentioned in the same breath as Mr Wolf. Make the wrong choices and you can send this team spiraling back into the 70's and 80's. The pressure is indeed on. The Packer faithful await..............

Joemailman
02-26-2007, 03:32 PM
The only position in free agency that looks really interesting to me is safety. Hamlin would be an immediate upgrade over Manuel. After all, Manuel only was a starter in Seattle when Hamlin was hurt.

prsnfoto
02-26-2007, 03:41 PM
I think this is the perfect draft to trade down if someone has a hardon for a certain player many"experts" have said the difference between 16 to 50 is little they are solid picks if he could pick up a second or third to move down a few spots it might be worth it, on the other hand if the draft is so deep why would teams want to?

CaliforniaCheez
02-26-2007, 06:00 PM
The only position in free agency that looks really interesting to me is safety. Hamlin would be an immediate upgrade over Manuel. After all, Manuel only was a starter in Seattle when Hamlin was hurt.

Manuel was only a starter in Green Bay when Underwood got hurt.

BobDobbs
02-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Good Thread.

I think the future of Ted Thompson may hang in the balance as well this year. However, I'm not in the camp that thinks we just need one or two more players to be a contender. The team improved last year, but we beat alot of teams that we should have beaten. And our home record was inexcusable. If we get stronger next year that is fine, if we are not competing in the playoffs in 2008 he has failed.

I'm all for continued team development and signing free agents only at the right price. We've got plenty of holes and almost no depth.

I don't think that Safety is the second biggest impact position after DE. Their relatively low salary numbers attest to that. However, it is the biggest hole on our defense and if we could get a strong playmaker there, we can start talking about trying to dictate games with our defense. If we can get a top young safety with our first rounder and go into camp with say Landry, Underwood, and Manuel competing for the Safety spot I wouldn't be crying. The main reason I like a free agent signing is that salaries are going to shoot up in the next few years. The deals signed this year will seem big, but will be dwarfed by 2009.

On Defense: after safety we need to find a nickel back, maybe we have him(Blackmon) maybe not. Then Poppinga has to face competion to earn his spot. He merely improved for bad to OK last year. He needs to keep getting better or be replaced.

On offense we need to score. Shocking analysis I know. It's obvious we need to bring in a young running back. A receiver who is both big and fast would be great. I think a Tight End who is effective in the Red Zone might be the #1 thing we can do to improve scoring. Then again It may be improved run blocking. I'm hoping the rookies get their weight room on this off season. No matter what, we need many more O lineman. Who is Tauscher's backup? We need an actual Left Tackle to back up Clifton not a guard and I'm not sold on Chris White. None of the rookies have earned the crown yet either another Guard to compete would be nice, but it is really not priority.

In order I see priorites as

1) Some one who scores TOUCHDOWNS (RB, TE, WR, cheerleader I don't care)
2) Safety -either FA or Draft-
3) TE -go FA-
4) RB -draft and sign Green-
5) Nickel -draft-
6) WR -either-
7) SLB -draft-
8 KR -draft-
9) Oline depth - both-
10) NT -draft-
11) Punter -either-

pbmax
02-26-2007, 07:54 PM
IMHO, Free Agency will not likely determine the future of this franchise this year. We are still below playoff quality from a talent standpoint (Favre being the difference making exception) and there isn't another player in FA who will push this team over the hump.

Maybe next year, but not this year.

Scott Campbell
02-26-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't think you define a guys entire body of work over a couple of months. How his previous picks and FA signings continue to develop have to be considered just as much as anything that happens between now and the draft.

The GM job is a marathon, not a sprint.

The Shadow
02-26-2007, 10:29 PM
"These next 2 months will have a HUGE impact on Thompson and even more crucial, on the future of our team. This will be TT's defining moments.
I still believe the majority of the Packer nation is on the fence with what Teddy has done."

Please don't include me in this 'majority'.
I think he's done a great job in making the hard decisions that needed to be made. 100% effective all the time? Of course not.
But the team is FINALLY on the rise after years of good seasons - but playoff mediocrity.

Packnut
02-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Good Thread.

I think the future of Ted Thompson may hang in the balance as well this year. However, I'm not in the camp that thinks we just need one or two more players to be a contender. The team improved last year, but we beat alot of teams that we should have beaten. And our home record was inexcusable. If we get stronger next year that is fine, if we are not competing in the playoffs in 2008 he has failed.

I'm all for continued team development and signing free agents only at the right price. We've got plenty of holes and almost no depth.

I don't think that Safety is the second biggest impact position after DE. Their relatively low salary numbers attest to that. However, it is the biggest hole on our defense and if we could get a strong playmaker there, we can start talking about trying to dictate games with our defense. If we can get a top young safety with our first rounder and go into camp with say Landry, Underwood, and Manuel competing for the Safety spot I wouldn't be crying. The main reason I like a free agent signing is that salaries are going to shoot up in the next few years. The deals signed this year will seem big, but will be dwarfed by 2009.

On Defense: after safety we need to find a nickel back, maybe we have him(Blackmon) maybe not. Then Poppinga has to face competion to earn his spot. He merely improved for bad to OK last year. He needs to keep getting better or be replaced.

On offense we need to score. Shocking analysis I know. It's obvious we need to bring in a young running back. A receiver who is both big and fast would be great. I think a Tight End who is effective in the Red Zone might be the #1 thing we can do to improve scoring. Then again It may be improved run blocking. I'm hoping the rookies get their weight room on this off season. No matter what, we need many more O lineman. Who is Tauscher's backup? We need an actual Left Tackle to back up Clifton not a guard and I'm not sold on Chris White. None of the rookies have earned the crown yet either another Guard to compete would be nice, but it is really not priority.

In order I see priorites as

1) Some one who scores TOUCHDOWNS (RB, TE, WR, cheerleader I don't care)
2) Safety -either FA or Draft-
3) TE -go FA-
4) RB -draft and sign Green-
5) Nickel -draft-
6) WR -either-
7) SLB -draft-
8 KR -draft-
9) Oline depth - both-
10) NT -draft-
11) Punter -either-

Great article about how important the saftey position is again in the NFL.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2780030

Packnut
02-26-2007, 11:27 PM
IMHO, Free Agency will not likely determine the future of this franchise this year. We are still below playoff quality from a talent standpoint (Favre being the difference making exception) and there isn't another player in FA who will push this team over the hump.

Maybe next year, but not this year.

As usual, we dis-agree. A saftey like Grant or Hamlin COULD make a big difference this season. No not super bowl difference but making the play-offs difference.