PDA

View Full Version : You Pick The Draft...Pick #2 Detroit Lions

ND72
02-26-2007, 05:50 PM
With the first selection, the Oakland Raiders (and the Members of PR) Selected JaMarcus Russell.

Now on the clock, the Detroit Lions.

ND72
02-26-2007, 05:52 PM
as much as I think they SHOULD take Brady Quinn...they are the Lions...they need everything, so why not start with a for sure LT to build with.

Joemailman
02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Given we're not talking trades, I agree it is Thomas. On draft day though, I think they will try to work out a trade with Arizona.

ND72
02-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I can see the next 2 picks being traded, real life....I think Detroit will try to trade down. Arizona gets their guy in Thomas, Detroit gets some more picks, and probably grabs any number of need positions.

BallHawk
02-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I think Matt Millen comes around and gets Calvin. If not, all hell breaks loose.

ND72
02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
in a year he should, I just donno if he will. but with the lions, I guess it wouldn't suprise me. If I'm them, here's what I do. Round 1, Calvin Johnson. Round 2, Drew Stanton. Round 3, OL or RB. Day 2...OL & Defense.

BallHawk
02-26-2007, 06:47 PM
When you think about it, the Lions could do a lot of damage in this draft. Pick up an All-star WR in Calvin in the 1st, to start opposite Roy Williams. In the 2nd pick up Drew Stanton who, IMO, is going to be the best QB of this draft. In the 3rd pick up an OL like Yanda or Beckman. They're still a year or two away, but with a good draft they could set themselves up as contenders in the near future.

ND72
02-26-2007, 06:49 PM
agreed with that. Obviously everyone likes to point out my love for Quinn...but I think Stanton could be very very good. I think he has the best "tools" of anyone if an NFL coach can find them and use them correctly. But the Lions really could set themselves up for a good future...which is why they'll mess it up.

BallHawk
02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
agreed with that. Obviously everyone likes to point out my love for Quinn...but I think Stanton could be very very good. I think he has the best "tools" of anyone if an NFL coach can find them and use them correctly. But the Lions really could set themselves up for a good future...which is why they'll mess it up.

Most probably, yes.

BallHawk
02-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Hell, I doubt it, but if we could pick up Stanton at #46, I'd love it.

Joemailman
02-26-2007, 06:57 PM
# OT changes at top of draft board… It probably doesn’t have much to do with the outstanding performance Wisconsin OT Joe Thomas turned at the scouting combine in Indianapolis over the weekend, but both Oakland and Detroit, which have the first and second picks overall this year respectively, made announcements about their particular LT situations. Oakland, for example, has moved incumbent LT Robert Gallery, the second player taken overall at the 2004 draft, from the left side to RT; in his place, the Raiders will pencil in veteran journeyman Barry Sims at LT. Meanwhile, the consensus around the NFL is that Detroit would take Thomas with the second pick overall and then slide Jeff Backus, their returning starter at LT, over to the right side. Lions’ head coach Rod Marinelli is being quoted as saying that Backus will stay at LT no matter what Detroit does with the pick as it would be too unnatural of a move for Backus, who is signed through 2011. Neither move may say much about what either the Raiders or Lions have planned for the second pick, but Thomas certainly made the case that he is pick worthy when the 6-7, 311-pounder showed impressive athletic skills at the combine this weekend where he ran a 4.92 40.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

ND72
02-26-2007, 06:59 PM
interesting...and I must have missed that on gbnreport.com ( I love that site by the way).

Partial
02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
The Lions are retarded if they are going to move Joe Thomas. Why not let your best linemen play the most important position? You don't draft a right tackle #2 unless your QB is a lefty..

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Who we think they will draft or who we'd draft?

Johnson should have went #1.

ND72
02-26-2007, 07:43 PM
"stipulations" are no trades, so it's all what we think will happen on for that team on that pick....the "polls" choose Russell #1.

ND72
02-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Joe Thomas holding a "small" lead over Calvin.

red
02-26-2007, 09:16 PM
calvin

the most sure thing in this draft, and maybe the best wr prospect to ever enter the draft

sure the lions drafted 3 wr's in the first round for 3 straight years, but only one of those is still a part of the team (i think mike williams will be gone before the season). of course they did sign whats his face to a big deal recently, the white guy. and they have roy, so they aren't in desperate need for a WR

IMO, calvin is the best player in this draft

what about adrian peterson here? kevin jones will probably miss this whole year because of the foot injury he suffered last year, they need a running back

that would shake things up

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2007, 09:16 PM
If it's what I think will happen, then I'd switch from Johnson to Thomas. Millen will definitely blow this one. Takes WRs three years in a row. Two of them busts. When he should take a WR, he'll pass on the best WR prospect in a decade.

red
02-26-2007, 09:20 PM
If it's what I think will happen, then I'd switch from Johnson to Thomas. Millen will definitely blow this one. Takes WRs three years in a row. Two of them busts. When he should take a WR, he'll pass on the best WR prospect in a decade.

well, if this is about what millen would do

then i change mine to dwayne jarrett

he will go WR, but he'll make a huge reach and draft the slowest WR in the draft

b bulldog
02-26-2007, 09:22 PM
CJ is the best player in this draft and Stanton will not get out of the first round. Some scouts like him better than Quinn.

LL2
02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
While I'm not sold on Quinn I think they should draft him. I'm no NFL expert but I think you build a team around a QB, not a OL. I think you can build a solid OL with later round picks like TT has been doing. The first round is for trying to get an impact player.

b bulldog
02-26-2007, 09:29 PM
What has Quinn done to make you think he is worthy of being picked at the 2 spot?

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2007, 09:32 PM
CJ is the best player in this draft and Stanton will not get out of the first round. Some scouts like him better than Quinn.

You made this argument last year. There are hundred of scouts... you could say some scouts like player x more than player y for just about every combination of players. It's your way of knocking Quinn down and pumping Stanton up. I don't even like Notre Dame, but I doubt there's many scouts who like Stanton better than Quinn.

Michigan State and Notre Dame play a pretty similar schedule. Both have pretty similar talent levels on the team. One guy threw 69 TDs-14 interceptions the last 2 years. The other guy threw 34 TDs-22 interceptions. Most scouts won't overlook that production--especially when the productive guy is 6'4" 225, strong as hell, and has a more than adequate arm.

ND72
02-26-2007, 09:34 PM
What has Quinn done to make you think he is worthy of being picked at the 2 spot?

hmmm..only carried a team for 2 years. What has stanton done? 1 winning season? if you're going to do the what has he done, be careful cause you're in favor of done nothing stanton.

b bulldog
02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
PFT.com was the place that was reporting it. Personally, I don't know what to think about Quinn. He looks good in shorts ect and he lacked any great offensive personel but he also struggled against better teams and seems to have an attitude. Dylan Tomlinson was on "The Fan" today and he said he wasn't impressed with either Russell or Quinn. Russell looked chubby and Quinn seemed to be full of himself. Did you hear than CJ wasn't even going to run but changed his mind at the last minute and borrowed someone else's shoes and posted the 4.35. 8)

ND72
02-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Quinn is being cocky for a reason....MONEY. If Quinn is taken #1, he probably pockets $50 million plus....if he's taken #2, he would loose money. Plus, he's doing job interviews now. Your job in a job interview is to talk yourself up. So why wouldn't you be cocky in a time like this?

b bulldog
02-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't draft either if I was picking in the top 5.

ND72
02-26-2007, 09:44 PM
I owuld take Quinn if I had to take a QB...especially if I'm running any system at all simlar to a west coast offense. Fact is, Quinn comes in ready to start today. Is he as good as he's gonna be? Maybe. But he'll start for you right away. Russell should not start for you right away. No he is not as good as he potentially could be.....BUT, he also might never reach that potential. Just like everything else. Do you want a guy to come in and play right away, or do you want a project?

red
02-26-2007, 09:47 PM
i've seen too much of both stanton and quinn. i because i tend to root for state from time to time, and quinn, because ND is always on TV

stanyton isn't anywhere close to quinns league IMO

if some scouts are liking stanton now after the combine, i would guess its because stanton did something there, and quinn skipped most eveerything

the quinn free fall, just blows my mind. this was the golden boy for at least the last two years, everybody couldn't wait for him to come out. if he had come out last year, he might have been the top qb taken . then he has a bad game to end is callege career, and people started to doubt him

i think his free fall has more to do with a brain dead media that can't have an original thought. one guys says quinns dropping, and everyone else follows suit. its become the popular thing to say brady is sliding.

the media seems to like to take one guy every year and try and play god with him. last year it was lienert. he should have gone higher then he did, but after the media got a hold of him, he slid and couldn't do anything about it.

i think they got the idea from a-rod. that made for good tv watching a high profile Qb drop that far in the draft

he'll make some lucky team very happy

Bretsky
02-26-2007, 09:48 PM

I'd be shocked if Stanton gets picked in round one

b bulldog
02-26-2007, 09:48 PM
I think Russell may have gotten too big of a bump from the bowl game. LSU was so far superior to ND that imo it was hard to judge both QB's fairly. Russell had first round talent all around him while Quinn clearly did not. I do think that if Quinn was on a different team, he wouldn't be even thought about as a top pick. ND gets so much pub and their star players do also.

ND72
02-26-2007, 09:51 PM
If Quinn was on a team of higher caliber...Quinn might have won a national title. And I hate the "ND gets more pub than everyone else"...BS...ever see ESPN? anyone and everyone gets pub. just cause ND is always on NBC, doesn't mean crap. You can basically see any team at anytime you want.

ND72
02-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Only February and we already have draft disputs! WHOOOOOOOO... :D

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Quinn had 37 TDs and 7 interceptions in 2006. He had 3 TDs-0 ints vs. USC, 5 TDs-1 int against Michigan State, 3 TDs-0 ints vs. Penn State, 2 TDs-0 ints vs. UCLA.

He had 32 TDs and 7 interceptions in 2005. He had 5 TDs-1 int against Michigan State, mint game at Washington, 3 TDs-0 ints against Tennessee, 2 TDs-0 ints against Michigan.

I think to say he sucks in big games basically because he struggled in bowl games vs. LSU and Ohio State the last two years is a little rough. Everybody knew Notre Dame wasn't in the same class as those schools, but because of the flawed BCS system, they get in.

I don't like Notre Dame at all, and Brady Quinn is from Columbus (should have went to Ohio State), but I can't see how this guy is getting knocked so much. His arm strength is good. His accuracy looks good. He's big. Personally, I've been impressed with his interviews. Confident, but not an asshat like Eli Manning.

He won't be as good, but he reminds me of Tom Brady.

red
02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
I think Russell may have gotten too big of a bump from the bowl game. LSU was so far superior to ND that imo it was hard to judge both QB's fairly. Russell had first round talent all around him while Quinn clearly did not. I do think that if Quinn was on a different team, he wouldn't be even thought about as a top pick. ND gets so much pub and their star players do also.

then why can't you find any info on any of their other players at the combine?

b bulldog
02-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Walker wasn't a star by no means and Quinn was a top rated player, playing QB at ND. That position at ND gets a huge amount of pub, watch this fall when Clausen starts getting the pub. He will be a true frosh but he is very, very talented.

ND72
02-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Walker should not have left school early, in no ways is he ready for the NFL...that's why he isn't looked at as a "star".

Charles Woodson
02-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Walker wasn't a star by no means and Quinn was a top rated player, playing QB at ND. That position at ND gets a huge amount of pub, watch this fall when Clausen starts getting the pub. He will be a true frosh but he is very, very talented.

Eh, hes over hyped...Michigan gets the real deal at QB the next year. This guy Ryan Mallet makes clausen look like a little girl. Was watching both of them in the Us Army East-West game and Mallet was much more impressive

wist43
02-27-2007, 04:22 PM
I'd be looking to trade down...

Assuming they stay put... depends on if they think Quinn or Russell is the real deal - can't afford to miss that high (Mandarich!!!!!).

If they're not sold on Quinn or Russell, and they can't trade down, CJ has to be the guy, I guess; but, I'm not sold on him either.

Cheesehead Craig
02-27-2007, 04:37 PM
A team with a very good OL can hide the flaws of a lesser QB and RB. Thing is, there seems to be an awesome QB or 2 every year, and about 3 above average ones that could be very good. How often do awesome, LT's come into the draft? Very rarely. That is whay I think that Thomas is the pick here. OL are not a sexy pick, but when you don't have good ones, you pay for it dearly (see Packers 2005 season).

Partial
02-27-2007, 05:00 PM
i've seen too much of both stanton and quinn. i because i tend to root for state from time to time, and quinn, because ND is always on TV

stanyton isn't anywhere close to quinns league IMO

if some scouts are liking stanton now after the combine, i would guess its because stanton did something there, and quinn skipped most eveerything

the quinn free fall, just blows my mind. this was the golden boy for at least the last two years, everybody couldn't wait for him to come out. if he had come out last year, he might have been the top qb taken . then he has a bad game to end is callege career, and people started to doubt him

i think his free fall has more to do with a brain dead media that can't have an original thought. one guys says quinns dropping, and everyone else follows suit. its become the popular thing to say brady is sliding.

the media seems to like to take one guy every year and try and play god with him. last year it was lienert. he should have gone higher then he did, but after the media got a hold of him, he slid and couldn't do anything about it.

i think they got the idea from a-rod. that made for good tv watching a high profile Qb drop that far in the draft

he'll make some lucky team very happy

His fall has everything to do with the publics love of measureables. He will be Peyton Manning compared to Russell who will be Ryan Leaf

Partial
02-27-2007, 05:03 PM
I hope Quinn falls and TT snatches him up. Life after Favre will be looking up, then. I would have ZERO problems with that.

BooHoo
02-27-2007, 05:22 PM
The Lions always go receiver in the first round. It's a no brainer and makes it easier for them as they sit and eat pizza. Why be like other teams and get all "stressed out" during the first round? They like to save themselves for later rounds and then get to enjoy their annual twister game on day one.