PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News : Tom Silverstein 02/25

motife
02-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Packers Team Report
Posted: February 25, 2007
Tom Silverstein For Sporting News

CAP STATUS: With roughly $25 million in cap space, the club could make a big free-agent splash. But G.M. Ted Thompson prefers to use the draft to stock his roster and is more likely to target midlevel players.

MOVING ON: It's unlikely the club will suffer any big free-agent hits. RB Ahman Green has threatened to test the open market but likely will return. Even though David Martin has passed Bubba Franks as the Packers' top tight end, the club is leery of spending big money to keep him because of his injury history. OLB Ben Taylor probably will leave; he was solid on special teams but didn't play much on defense.

TARGETS: There aren't many free agents who would give the Packers what they need most: playmakers on offense. Eagles WR Donte' Stallworth has the speed the club is looking for, but he's an injury risk who would be an option only if his price were modest. The club could pursue Titans WR Drew Bennett, who would be a solid No. 2, but adding a No. 2 isn't a priority. Tight end is more of a need, and the Patriots' Daniel Graham and the 49ers' Eric Johnson are options. Thompson believes in building up the defense first, and signing Ravens OLB Adalius Thomas could be the type of big move that would put the team in the playoffs. Thomas would play end for the Packers and pair well with LE Aaron Kampman. But signing Thomas would be out of character for the frugal Thompson. It wouldn't be surprising to see the club make a run at Seahawks S Ken Hamlin, Colts OLB Cato June or Eagles OLB Shawn Barber.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments
Strategy
Posted by Dana Grubb on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:35 am
Here's thought on priorities for our Packers.

Tight end should be the first order of business, whether a free agent or draftee. How many times in 2006 would have a reception, or no fumble, kept the team in a game with an opportunity to win? The answer is frequently. The tight end position needs to have a reliable and healthy player.

Adalius Thomas is young and good, but where does that leave Cullen Jenkins? Aren't there other defensive priorities like safety, or a young corner? The conventional wisdom says resigning Jenkins costs less and you keep an important piece of a young improving defense. I like Hamlin and think he's a definite upgrade over last year's free agent bust Manuel.

More linebackers, other than for depth, doesn't make sense to me. We've been told the team is set with Hawk, Barnett and Popinga. Let them meld as a unit, and extend Barnett's contract.

On offense, draft the running back of the future, or a wide receiver who looks like he'll produce in the red zone. Build depth on the line, since both tackles are around 30 years old.

Resign Green, who with Morency and a drafted back, can secure the team's short and long term futures.

Draft for depth and sign free agents judiciously.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Strategy
Posted by 68md on Mon Feb 26, 2007 05:46 pm

Your very close, but Green is asking for some heavy money, the pack is acting like there going RB in the first round, but if a top notch receiver or TE is there expect them to pull the trigger, If they can go down a few notchs and pick up another 2nd round pick I wouldn't hesitate, they could then get a RB, TE and another solid DB before round 3 !

CaliforniaCheez
02-27-2007, 06:10 AM
This is likely a very mild offseason with little news or controversy.
It really is a positive situation.
When looking for negatives:

Free agent losses. I mean possible free agent losses.

RB Ahman Green Who values him more than the Packers??
DT Kenderick Allen The Packers can sign if they want him.
LB Ben Taylor He wants to start. He will sign elsewhere
QB Todd Bouman Not likely to be resigned
TE David Martin Gone with the Wind
T/G Tyson Walter Commands the little bucks. Not a priority
LB Tracy White If no one better is signed he could be back

The Packers would likely only get a supplemental pick in 08 for Ahman Green signing with another team.

Cap Casualties

I don't forsee any prior to August. Even unlikely then I would put them in this order of being cut. All subject to offseason acquisitions at their positions.

1) Ferguson
2) Manuel
3) KGB
4) Clifton

Bretsky
02-27-2007, 07:07 AM
I would strongly disagree on Clifton; I don't see any way GB cuts him this year. He's still more than adequate and we don't have his replacement.

red
02-27-2007, 08:09 AM
lets not forget that theres a minimum cap number too. i'm not sure what it is, but i'd say at 25 million we are a ways away from it

will maybe eat up for million on the draft, plus maybe as much as 5 if we keep green

that still leaves us with 15 million left

TT HAS to spend money somewhere on something

prsnfoto
02-27-2007, 08:37 AM
lets not forget that theres a minimum cap number too. i'm not sure what it is, but i'd say at 25 million we are a ways away from it

will maybe eat up for million on the draft, plus maybe as much as 5 if we keep green

that still leaves us with 15 million left

TT HAS to spend money somewhere on something

Last year's draft number was about 6 million,Jenkins just got 6.8 in up front money(though we don't know how it is allocated TT's MO is it is a roster bonus) so we are down to 12 already,Green is not signed yet, so there is only money for two big moves at most or one with several small ones. If I was TT I would free up another 5-7 million by ditching KGB and Faguson, but I doubt he will.