View Full Version : JOHN STOCCO REPORT

Bretsky
02-26-2007, 08:50 PM
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES JOHN, AND NICE JOB AT THE COMBINE

Notes: Badgers' Stocco gets passing grade
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 25, 2007

Indianapolis - Quarterback John Stocco didn't melt in the biggest games for the University of Wisconsin nor did he back down Sunday in his workout at the NFL combine.
Stocco threw the ball better than he ran the 40-yard dash at the RCA Dome but overall appeared to solidify his status as a mid- to late round draft choice.

"It looked like he was fairly good today," said T.J. McCreight, assistant director of player personnel for the Cleveland Browns. "He's smart. Gets rid of the ball fairly good. I'd say fourth or fifth round."

Four other scouts all predicted Stocco would be drafted. Two called him a late pick, one said he would go between the fifth and seventh rounds and Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson guessed he could go as early as the third but probably would last to the second day.

"Hey, the kid's won, and that's important," said Jesse Kaye, a scout for the New York Jets. "(Brooks) Bollinger was more of an athlete who's developed as a passer. (Jim) Sorgi was maybe a little more advanced as a passer. And this guy is a combination of the two."

Before the combine, a personnel director for an NFC team said he preferred Stocco to Bollinger and Sorgi, both of whom carved out careers as backups.

"I think this guy has more talent," the scout said. "I don't think he'll ever be a great quarterback or anything, but we do like him. I think he's got something."

Stocco, 6 feet 1½ inches and 207 pounds, completed 15 of 22 passes (68.2%) to wide receivers Sunday with no defense in the way. His 40 time of 5.11 seconds was one of the two worst among the quarterbacks who ran, meaning the pressure on him next month in Madison to run faster will be intense.

"Some of the early throws when he was just doing the drops, I thought he was really mechanical," said offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell of the Minnesota Vikings. "He was better in just the throwing to receivers. He threw accurately. He had a nice career. Tough kid. He's a winner."

Based on the NFL passer rating system, Stocco registered 97.0 in 2006. His record as a starter was 29-7.

Not much there: Top quarterbacks JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn elected not to work out, although Quinn did set an unofficial record for quarterbacks in the bench press by lifting 225 pounds a total of 25 times.

Toby Korrodi of Division II Central Missouri State appeared to be the brightest surprise, whereas another lefty, Tyler Palko of Pittsburgh, seemed to be the biggest disappointment.

"I think it's a (expletive) group, to be honest with you," one scout said. "Russell has the most potential, Quinn is the best today and then I don't know where the hell you go. Take a chance."

Fingers crossed: All but $250,000 of the $4 million in roster bonuses that cornerback Al Harris received in his restructured contract and two-year extension from the Green Bay Packers is contingent upon his continued good health.

Harris, 32, has played 144 regular-season and 10 post-season games without a miss during his nine-year career.

In 2007, Harris gets a $250,000 roster bonus next month. Another $250,000 roster bonus is payable upon Harris being healthy enough to make the 53-man roster in early September. And a $1.1 million roster bonus will be paid in increments of $68,750 for each game he's active.

In '08, Harris has a roster bonus of $1.2 million broken down by weeks on the active roster. In '09, he has the same $1.2 million payable by weeks.

The Packers also increased his incentive clause for making the Pro Bowl from $100,000 to $200,000 in '07, '08 and '09. Plus, he was given workout bonuses of $56,720 each of the next three years.

Harris' base salaries of $2.2 million in 2007, $2.85 million in '08 and $3.0 million in '09 remained the same. The two-year extension includes base salaries of $2.5 million in '10 and $1.75 million in '11, plus $1 million roster bonuses each year.

His cap salary for '07 is $5.232 million, up from $3.575 million.

b bulldog
02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
The Badgers have huge momentum going into 07 but Stocco will be missed. The guy never made mistakes.

Bretsky
02-26-2007, 09:29 PM
No he didn't. The spitting image of Bollinger but a better passer.

I hope that lefty from Kansas State is solid.

b bulldog
02-26-2007, 09:32 PM
He sounds like a very good QB but Badger fans always pissed and moaned that the team and Stocco didn't get any respect and now that he is gone, most think that they won't miss a beat. I think they will be wrong but we'll get to see once autumn arrives. Man, I can't wait till football starts back up.

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2007, 09:37 PM
No he didn't. The spitting image of Bollinger but a better passer.

I hope that lefty from Kansas State is solid.

I think Stocco's arm is pretty similar to Bollinger. Bollinger's a better athlete. I think I read John ran like a 5.2 40 or something. Neither are good enough to be NFL starters.

b bulldog
02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
sOLID BACKUP in the NFL, nothing more.

Bretsky
02-26-2007, 09:42 PM
sOLID BACKUP in the NFL, nothing more.

One of the best jobs in the world; lifetime backup QB. Sure wish I was one

b bulldog
02-26-2007, 09:44 PM
cOULD YOU IMAGINE BEING jIM sORGI? The guy will probably never get any serious PT and he will become very well to do and will never have to take a hit. My hat is off to him.

Bretsky
02-26-2007, 09:46 PM
cOULD YOU IMAGINE BEING jIM sORGI? The guy will probably never get any serious PT and he will become very well to do and will never have to take a hit. My hat is off to him.

One of the best jobs out there; take a couple hits in the pre season, try to imitate being competent, and make hundreds of thousands. Any luck and Indy likes him enough to extend him as well.

Partial
02-26-2007, 10:31 PM
John Stocco, I salute you for all the memories over the years. You'll forever be my favorite badger and I will continue to wear your jersey proudly. May the wind always be at your back and sun in the opponents eyes.

MJZiggy
02-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Unless the opponent is us...

Partial
02-26-2007, 10:38 PM

I dunno, I would have no problem with John Stocco beating us. Any ex-badger has that right to shine once again in front of the great state of Wisconsin.

Especially Jim Sorgi, Matt Schabert, and John Stocco. Oh, and Anthony Davis, PJ Hill, and Brian Cal-HOOOON

Bretsky
02-26-2007, 10:39 PM
What'd we waste a pick on Ingle Martin for anyways

Stocco would've been there for us this year :lol:

Partial
02-26-2007, 10:40 PM
What'd we waste a pick on Ingle Martin for anyways

Stocco would've been there for us this year :lol:

I would LOVE it if we pick Stocco. Kid will be one of the best backups in the NFL. He plays much faster than he clocks and he ALWAYS makes the big plays when the pressure is on him, its his teammates who fold!

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Waste of a pick.

Stocco is a Minnesota kid. How can he be your favorite Badger? At least Bollinger was from North Dakota.

Partial
02-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Waste of a pick.

Stocco is a Minnesota kid. How can he be your favorite Badger? At least Bollinger was from North Dakota.

Tom Brady didn't have great measureables, either :wink: . Stocco's a winner.

RashanGary
02-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Brady has a damn good arm and the height to be a little more effective in the pocket.

He's sort of a "very poor" mans Tom Brady. I'm talkin POOR.

Brady has the arm to go along with his winner mentality. Stocco's arm is OK but he's not Tom Brady physically.

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2007, 11:01 PM

That's laughable. Bevell, Bollinger, and Sorgi were winners too.

Partial
02-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Brady has a damn good arm and the height to be a little more effective in the pocket.

He's sort of a "very poor" mans Tom Brady. I'm talkin POOR.

Brady has the arm to go along with his winner mentality. Stocco's arm is OK but he's not Tom Brady physically.

If Tom Brady was such a premium prospect with such a great combine he wouldn't have lasted 6th round. Also, Tony Romo, who showed a ton of poise, would have been drafted in the first two rounds instead of going undrafted.

The point I am making is that the draft is really a crapshoot. I would say the odds are against Stocco being a starter and a solid one at that, but he is a fighter and has beaten the odds before. Brady and Romo beat the odds. It's possible that Stocco could as well.

Measureables mean nothing. Pennington has a weak arm, isn't mobile, but he still wins ball games.

MJZiggy
02-27-2007, 06:52 AM

I dunno, I would have no problem with John Stocco beating us. Any ex-badger has that right to shine once again in front of the great state of Wisconsin.

Especially Jim Sorgi, Matt Schabert, and John Stocco. Oh, and Anthony Davis, PJ Hill, and Brian Cal-HOOOON

Can he be given troll status for this???

Bretsky
02-27-2007, 07:09 AM

I don't think I'd call Sorgi a winner; his win loss record was over .500. But he didn't do any of the little things necessary to make his team better. To me he was the model QB on paper skill wise; and then he had to take the field.

prsnfoto
02-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Several years ago when I was at the Don Hutson facility I remember laughing that Gilbert Brown's 40 was 4.95 and Brett's was 5.0 some poeple have elusive speed and Brett probably was/is the best of all-time that coupled with his bad mechanics that allow him to always be going backwards when hit have allowed him to stay heathy. I only worry about him when the hit is coming from the side or something is in the way of his followthrough. :D Stocco could surprise some people.

Partial
02-27-2007, 09:19 AM

I am not comparing the two, I am simply saying that Brady wasn't a surefire NFL starter, either. In fact, I am sure 99% of the scouts were thinking career back-up. Oh how wrong they were!

Partial
02-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Several years ago when I was at the Don Hutson facility I remember laughing that Gilbert Brown's 40 was 4.95 and Brett's was 5.0 some poeple have elusive speed and Brett probably was/is the best of all-time that coupled with his bad mechanics that allow him to always be going backwards when hit have allowed him to stay heathy. I only worry about him when the hit is coming from the side or something is in the way of his followthrough. :D Stocco could surprise some people.

Ding ding ding. Stocco isn't fast but he is shifty and very good at avoiding the sack. Big ten has some fast DE's, too.

b bulldog
02-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Man O'man does Brady get some real hotties 8)

RashanGary
02-27-2007, 09:48 PM
I can't believe how much love Stocco gets from Wisconsin now. Everyone hated him and he could do no right for so long. Now everyones all over him.

Partial
02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I can't believe how much love Stocco gets from Wisconsin now. Everyone hated him and he could do no right for so long. Now everyones all over him.

Nah, he was great Junior and Senior year. Lets not forget that team lost one game on the road. I think they could have competed with anyone. That defense is fast and mean, and the offensive is big.

b bulldog
02-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I gained mucho respect for him last season. Was a very cerebral QB.

RashanGary
02-27-2007, 09:52 PM
I gained mucho respect for him last season. Was a very cerebral QB.

I agree. I'm really coming around to smart QB play. Mannings superbowl is what really turned me. He's the most spectacular QB in the game but he won the biggest game of his life by being smart, safe and making good throws.

Stocco is good, but he didnt' ahve alot of fan fare early. Everyone hated him from what I remember.

b bulldog
02-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Look at UW. They usually have stellar special teams, a strong D, a competent running game and a QB who makes the smart play and doesn't make the killer mistakes. If your QB is a good game manager and is heady, you'll be fine. You don't need a rocket arm or LT's legs, just football SMARTS!

oregonpackfan
02-27-2007, 10:12 PM
I always admired Stocco for his leadership, football smarts, toughness, and using the most of his abilities.

That being said, I just don't think he has the physical abilities to make it as an NFL quarterback, even as a backup.

More importantly, I think he has the character attributes to be successful in a career outside of football.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Look at UW. They usually have stellar special teams, a strong D, a competent running game and a QB who makes the smart play and doesn't make the killer mistakes. If your QB is a good game manager and is heady, you'll be fine. You don't need a rocket arm or LT's legs, just football SMARTS!

Funny! Yeah, I suppose you can win with a QB as a game manager IF you have a strong defense, special teams, and running game. Next, you'll tell us that you can win with an average player at RB IF you have a strong passing game, defense, and special teams.
:D