PDA

View Full Version : WR deep in Draft

LL2
02-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Five of the six top-rated receivers are between 6-2 and 6-5 and they weigh between 205 and 239 pounds. Robert Meachem of Tennessee was particularly impressive Sunday. The 6-2, 214-pounder ran a 4.39 40-yard dash, caught just about everything thrown his way and positioned his feet after most catches to be able to break runs after the catch.

Overall, eight receivers ran sub 4.4 40s. Jason Hill of Washington State had a 4.32 (he's 6-1, 204).

"We're all tall, big and physical and we each do our own thing," Meachem said.

Said Rams coach Scott Linehan, "This is the biggest and fastest group of receivers I've ever seen."

Notes from around the Combine

Unless TT is sure one of the WR available is a sure fire playmaker then draft him, but since word is that WR is such a deep position I think TT should try to grab one in the second round. I'm sure a couple will drop into the second round. Hopefully Lynch is there at 16, but sounds like he has moved into the top 10. If Lynch is gone TT should pick a safety like Landry or get Okoye if available. Our D-line will be set for the next 4 years.

MadtownPacker
02-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Im gonna say it again and come the 2007 season you are all gonna say, "damn the SOB was right!".

Paul Williams WR - Fresno St.

Mark my post he will be a playmaker and can be had in rd 2.

Tony Oday
02-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Last year we needed defense and a big need was LB and it was a DEEP LB draft we got Hawk and Hodge.

This year its a DEEP WR draft with big guys with speed. We need a big guy with speed to help stretch the field for DD and Jennings.

Everything is falling into place!

Partial
02-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I am almost of the believe of getting two receivers and trying to land a tight end in free agency while resigning green. I am all four going 4 wide with a running back like green and creating match-up problems.

BlueBrewer
02-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I would love to see Lynch in the 1st and Meechum in the 2nd. That would make my feakin day.

retailguy
02-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Im gonna say it again and come the 2007 season you are all gonna say, "damn the SOB was right!".

I'm gonna say it now, mark my words.... Ahmad Carrol is a great cornerback.... :wink:

Rastak
02-27-2007, 05:52 PM

I'm gonna say it now, mark my words.... Ahmad Carrol is a great cornerback.... :wink:

Damn, now that was uncalled for..... :lol:

Charles Woodson
02-27-2007, 06:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DwGkqG5b4

His highlight tape

The only thing with him is he wasnt playing at a Large school. And most of his highlights came from SJSU or low schools i mean if you look at when he tried to bulldoze through usc he didnt go anywhere, Although he would prove to be a great Redzone threat. What are his measurables?

MadtownPacker
02-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm gonna say it now, mark my words.... Ahmad Carrol is a great cornerback.... :wink:Yeahhh and what great GM drafted him??? :wink:

Carroll was ruined by Schott, notice the Pack hasnt developed any CBs while he has been DB coach.

MadtownPacker
02-27-2007, 07:32 PM
The only thing with him is he wasnt playing at a Large school. And most of his highlights came from SJSU or low schools i mean if you look at when he tried to bulldoze through usc he didnt go anywhere, Although he would prove to be a great Redzone threat. What are his measurables?He is 6'2 210 and fast.

He wasnt playing at a large school but they play large schools and always on the road. He did have a good game vs USC, if you recall Fresno St almost upset then undefeated USC on a ESPN night game. He was a big part of that and while this highlight only shows a few games I can tell you first hand he got his yards against everyone.

Charles Woodson
02-27-2007, 07:39 PM
The only thing with him is he wasnt playing at a Large school. And most of his highlights came from SJSU or low schools i mean if you look at when he tried to bulldoze through usc he didnt go anywhere, Although he would prove to be a great Redzone threat. What are his measurables?He is 6'2 210 and fast.

He wasnt playing at a large school but they play large schools and always on the road. He did have a good game vs USC, if you recall Fresno St almost upset then undefeated USC on a ESPN night game. He was a big part of that and while this highlight only shows a few games I can tell you first hand he got his yards against everyone.

4 receptions for 62 yards with a 15.5 avg and 1 TD for the game against USC. And since he was injured most this year shouldnt he be a later pick?

Joemailman
02-27-2007, 08:18 PM

Paul Williams
WR, Fresno State

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a great athlete with the speed to stretch the field. Can make all the catches, including jump balls. Plays bigger than measured size would indicate. Is a strong, dangerous runner after the catch. Runs through arm tackles. Runs good routes, and shows the burst out of cuts to separate from cornerbacks. Shows the quickness and agility to escape jams. Is fluid, and always seems under control. Reaches full speed quickly, and can run past cornerbacks.

Weaknesses: Is not always aggressive. Often disappeared from games as a senior. Does not always fight for jump balls. Can be tackled easily if not running hard. Drops too many passes. Lacks toughness in traffic; will take eyes off the ball to locate the defender. Does not always work hard as a blocker.

Bottom line: Williams is a frustrating prospect. He has the talent to be an elite player but is not productive, tenacious or consistent. When focused, he catches every pass thrown his way, is aggressive and makes big plays. Williams was impressive at the East-West Game and the Senior Bowl, but NFL teams should be wary because of his inconsistent effort. He could become a game-breaker if he works hard. That's a big if.

Career statistics

Receiving Rushing
Team Rec. Yds. Avg. TD Rec./TD Att. Yds. Avg. TD
'03 Fresno St. 3 20 6.7 0 — 0 0 0.0 0
'04 Fresno St. 5 70 14.0 0 — 1 43 43.0 1
'05 Fresno St. 43 729 17.0 7 6.1 9 84 9.3 0
'06 Fresno St. 21 229 10.9 1 21.0 6 55 9.2 0
Totals

He has a lot of talent, but teams will have to decide if he has the desire. He had a down year as a senior, but so did several guys at Fresno State. Something strange was going on there. Sporting News has him going to New England late in 3rd round.