PDA

View Full Version : Favre Finally has Ankle Surgery

oregonpackfan
02-27-2007, 03:09 PM
I am glad Favre finally had his ankle surgery. I was concerned he was not going to have it as he seems to have the procrastinator mindset to me.

Favre undergoes surgery
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 26, 2007
It only took four years, but the Green Bay Packers finally got quarterback Brett Favre to go under the knife.

Favre kept putting off surgery to remove painful bone spurs from his left ankle until finally agreeing to allow team physician Patrick McKenzie to operate on him Monday in Green Bay.

According to general manager Ted Thompson, the surgery went as expected and Favre is expected to be able to take part in his normal off-season conditioning regimen before the start of training camp. Rehabilitation has been estimated at eight to 10 weeks, and barring a setback Favre should be ready to take part in the full-team minicamp beginning May 20.

"It should be a lot better," Thompson said. "It will alleviate a lot of the problem he has had to deal with. It was more than they thought. There was legitimate stuff that needed to be done. I'm just saying it wasn't like putting a Band-Aid there. There was stuff there that was significant."

The surgery was scheduled for the week after the season ended, but Favre canceled it because he wanted to do work around home in Hattiesburg, Miss., while he contemplated whether to play another season. Favre maintained that he could play with the pain, but his wife, Deanna, pushed him to have the surgery and get rid of the discomfort.

Favre originally injured the ankle during the 1995 season and had surgery in the off-season to repair minor damage. Over the years, the ankle flared up, and for the last few seasons he has had to deal with discomfort.

RashanGary
02-27-2007, 07:03 PM
The way he limped around, I thought it was serious.

If he can move better he might be better than a year ago.

Zool
02-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Brett Favre’s Surgeon Breaks 10 Scalpels Trying to Pierce His Iron Exterior
DJ Gallo

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre underwent surgery on Monday to remove bone spurs on his left ankle, but the procedure took eight hours longer than expected due to the surgeon repeatedly breaking his scalpel trying to cut into Favre’s iron exterior.

“The man – if he even is a man, and not some kind of robot or superhuman from the future – is built like no one else I’ve seen,” said Dr. Frank Matthews, the surgeon who did the procedure. “It was like trying to cut through a diamond coated in stainless steel. After I broke all of my scalpels, I had to call in a guy with a metal saw. And even he wore out five blades before he could break through.”

Dr. Matthews said that what he found the most remarkable at the procedure, though, was that Favre was awake throughout the entire thing.

“The nurses tried to give him anesthesia, but he refused and said he doesn’t feel pain because pain is for wimps,” said Dr. Matthews. “And he clearly didn’t feel pain. Even when we were going at him with the metal saw, he didn’t wince. Not once. He just sat there shaving his face with an 8-inch buck knife. And then, when he was done that, he had an alligator delivered so he could wrestle with it to pass the time. Once he got bored with that, he broke its neck with one hand and then ate a snack of nails and glass shards. So, yeah, I’m pretty sure that Brett Favre does not feel pain. That, or he’s addicted again to painkillers. Regardless, he’s amazing and more of a man than I’ll ever be. Or that any of us will ever be.”

Even though the surgery was difficult, Dr. Matthews says conducting it was an honor.

“It was great just to be close to Brett Favre for that long. He’s a true hero,” said Dr. Matthews. “Plus, it will be great for my career. I can’t wait to get this published. I’m sure I’m the only surgeon in history to close an incision with a spot welder.”

GBRulz
02-28-2007, 01:29 PM
LOL - that's great, Zool !!

swede
02-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Good one. Zool!

Reminds me of the time an assistant came running up to Holmgren during a game and said, "Brett's throwing up blood!"

Holmgren looked over at his backup quarterbacks, turned back to the assistant and said, "How much blood?"

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-28-2007, 01:35 PM
:lol: Good Stuff!!!!

Zool
02-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Ohh crap...forgot to credit that one. I cant take it. It was DJ Gallo.