PDA

View Full Version : Another Mother-of-the-Year

Kiwon
02-27-2007, 06:33 PM
This one's got Britney beat for sure.
.................................................. ....................

A Vancouver woman admitted Monday that she coached her two children — beginning when they were 4 and 8 years old — to fake retardation so she could collect Social Security benefits on their behalf.

Rosie Costello, 46, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to conspiracy to defraud the government as well as Social Security fraud. Her son, Pete Costello, 26, pleaded guilty earlier this month, but the U.S. Attorney's Office in Seattle said Monday that authorities had not located her daughter, Marie.

According to the plea agreement, Costello began coaching her daughter at age 4, and later used the same ruse with her son. He continued to feign retardation into his mid-20s — picking at his face, slouching and appearing uncommunicative in meetings with Social Security officials.

The scheme came to light last year after Pete Costello got a traffic ticket while driving away from the administration's Vancouver office, then was videotaped acting normally when he contested the ticket in court.

Rosie Costello admitted that she collected more than $280,000 in benefits, beginning in the mid-1980s. Most were paid by Social Security, but the state Department of Social and Health Services paid $53,000.

Pete Costello is scheduled to be sentenced May 11 and faces a standard sentencing range of six months to one year in prison, as well as $59,000 in restitution. Rosie Costello is scheduled for sentencing May 17; her standard sentencing range was not immediately available, but in the plea agreement she agreed to repay the government.
.................................................. ......................................

Those SSI "crazy checks" as they're known, are popular in certain locales. Mothers coach their kids to act mentally challenged in order to qualify for extra benefits. This mom kept it going for 20 years!!! $280,000!

"Petey, Marie, now listen, Mommy is going to teach you how to act so that we can have extra money. Petey, during the interview when I scratch my head, you wet your pants and don't blink. Just stare straight ahead.

Marie, you look down and don't say a word. If someone asks you a question just don't respond. If you do good, Mommy will buy you something special. Okay?"

red
02-27-2007, 06:40 PM
wow, i can't believe they got away with it for over 20 years

oregonpackfan
02-27-2007, 06:56 PM
I wonder how the government plans to recoup the money or if they plan to do it at all.

Bretsky
02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I wonder how the government plans to recoup the money or if they plan to do it at all.

Jail and Judgments

Kiwon
02-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm surprised she only had the two kids. I guess coaching the two as they grew up was all she could handle.

That's our uncaring, insensitive, so easily scamed welfare system at work.

Remember yesterday's AP article?:

Welfare state growing despite overhauls

It begins, "The welfare state is bigger than ever despite a decade of policies designed to wean poor people from public aid. The number of families receiving cash benefits from welfare has plummeted since the government imposed time limits on the payments a decade ago. But other programs for the poor, including Medicaid, food stamps and disability benefits, are bursting with new enrollees.

The result, according to an Associated Press analysis: Nearly one in six people rely on some form of public assistance, a larger share than at any time since the government started measuring two decades ago."
.................................................. .........................................

Yeah and how many of these are "relying" on public assistance in the way that Rosie Costello did?

MadtownPacker
02-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Wow, I didnt know Korea had welfare. :roll:

Kiwon
02-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Wow, I didnt know Korea had welfare. :roll:

Ha, ha. A lot of Koreans don't think it's good enough and would like to try the American one.
.................................................. .....................................

BTW, Mad, I was disappointed that you did not comment on the ingenuity of our friends south of the border smuggling in Chinese in their cars.

I posted this link on another thread. These guys are incredible. They could redefine what the word, "utility" means in SUV. Detriot needs to hire these guys!

http://www.nbc11.com/slideshow/news/10946938/detail.html

MadtownPacker
02-27-2007, 07:55 PM
BTW, Mad, I was disappointed that you did not comment on the ingenuity of our friends south of the border smuggling in Chinese in their cars.

I posted this link on another thread. These guys are incredible. They could redefine what the word, "utility" means in SUV. Detriot needs to hire these guys!

http://www.nbc11.com/slideshow/news/10946938/detail.htmlI dont think I saw that. Not a shocker to me at all. I remember a while back when someone had fake floorboards and put some guys in there.

The one you mention is not that impressive cuz asian dudes aint that big. :lol: