PDA

View Full Version : Lynch out; Henry in?

Brando19
02-27-2007, 07:50 PM
From foxsports:

Dropped a little ...Marshawn Lynch

Another who came to Indy as his position's number two and faltered a little. This is the time of year when teams start poking holes in players and Lynch, who could be a splendid receiver at his position in the NFL, slipped a little because he trailed guys like Henry and Auburn's Kenny Irons in several categories.

There is no question that Lynch may fit some team's west-coast offense, but he doesn't look like a Top 20 player today. His up-right running style is being criticized now, too.

Secure....Chris Henry

A junior, Henry left school early because he was listed as the team's third-string running back after starting only six games in a three-year career. In Lindy's draft magazine, Henry wasn't ranked among the top 25 runners because in three seasons, he rushed for 859 yards and scored only nine touchdowns.
But teams will definitely go back and look at some of his game tapes after he wowed the scouts with an impressive workout. Henry, who is 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds, was a former 100-meter track champion in Stockton, Calif. and he ran the 40 in 4.43 seconds. Henry had a better 10-yard time (1.51 to 1.54) than Peterson, plus he bench-pressed 225 pounds 26 times, a number that was better than Penn State's Paul Posluszny, probably the best linebacker in the draft.

MadtownPacker
02-27-2007, 07:59 PM
I saw Lynch's 40. He got off to a real bad start but still hit a 4.5.

retailguy
02-27-2007, 07:59 PM
you better delete this before packerpro sees it, he's liable to leap from the bridge... :shock:

TennesseePackerBacker
02-27-2007, 08:01 PM
you better delete this before packerpro sees it, he's liable to leap from the bridge... :shock:

:lol:

MadtownPacker
02-27-2007, 08:02 PM
you better delete this before packerpro sees it, he's liable to leap from the bridge... :shock:I dont think he has posted today.... :shock:

Joemailman
02-27-2007, 08:10 PM
So a guy who started 6 games in 3 years in college is better than a guy who accomplished what Lynch did at California? Sure, and Samkon Gado is better than Tomlinson.

gbpackfan
02-27-2007, 08:11 PM
This happens every year. I'll take on field production over combine numbers any day of the week. Lynch is a damn good running back.

MadtownPacker
02-27-2007, 08:12 PM
So a guy who started 6 games in 3 years in college is better than a guy who accomplished what Lynch did at California? Sure, and Samkon Gado is better than Tomlinson.THAT'S ITTT!!! You are no longer a member of Sam's Clu... oh well I guess it doesnt matter anymore. :(

red
02-27-2007, 08:17 PM
see, THIS, is people getting carried away with combine numbers

they downgrade a guy thats had a great college carrer and a good combine, and think the world of a guy thats no better then third string on his own team but had a little bit better combine

green_bowl_packer
02-27-2007, 08:23 PM
His nickname is the "mutant" You'd have to think if he were any good he would have played more than he did at Arizona. I give him credit though, he's getting his name out there and creating a buzz.

Looks like Tarzan ... Plays like a scrub?

http://media.scout.com/media/image/24/240635.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2007, 08:39 PM
So a guy who started 6 games in 3 years in college is better than a guy who accomplished what Lynch did at California? Sure, and Samkon Gado is better than Tomlinson.

Yeah, Leshon Johnson, Curtis Enis, and Ron Dayne were ridiculously good in college. Terrell Davis and Dorsey Levens did very little.

It's why guys get paid to scout.

RashanGary
02-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Honestly, I'm a little relieved that Lynch ran that 4.5 40. He's a hell of a player and IMO is going to be one of the top 7 in this draft.

Brando19
02-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm just glad Lynch is getting downgraded...hopefully downgraded all the way to #16.

Lurker64
02-27-2007, 09:36 PM
This happens every year. I'll take on field production over combine numbers any day of the week. Lynch is a damn good running back.

Yeah, but the NFL doesn't necessarily think so. Good players with quality production often slip because "questions" get raised in the months running up to the draft (c.f. Leinart falling to 10 last year.)

RashanGary
02-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Yeah, and players like Anquan Boldin get picked up in the second and then go to the probowl multiple times.

Lynch is a very effective football player and has all the #'s to be successfull in the NFL from size, to explosion to speed. He's not off the charts in anything, but he's good enough in everything. My opinion is that explosion is more important and he has that quick burst that all good RB's have.

He is better than #16. After CJ, Thomas, Russell, Quinn, Anderson and Peterson, he comes in at #7 on my board. I'd take him over Branch, Landry, Adams and anyone else predicted from 6-16

b bulldog
02-27-2007, 09:56 PM
If the Bills trade Willis, Lynch should be gone.

Joemailman
02-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Here's what Sporting News says about Henry. They have him being drafted in the 3rd round.

Chris Henry
RB, Arizona

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a big, strong back with the size and strength to dominate. Can absorb hard hits and keep on going. Shows a nice stiff-arm to break tackles. Shows the quick footwork to make sharp cuts and bounce runs outside. Shows a surprising burst through the hole, and has the speed to make big plays. Shows good hands to make tough catches. In pass protection, can do a good job when aggressive and blocking with good leverage; can stop pass rushers in their tracks.

Weaknesses: Is unproven -- never started for a full season in college. Does not play with aggressiveness and intensity on every snap. Is a raw and undisciplined runner. Must improve his technique. When there is no hole, always tries to bounce outside and never lowers shoulders and attacks the line for short gains. Does not run with good body lean consistently. In pass protection, uses bad technique too often.

Bottom line: Henry, a junior, is a unique case because he left school early rather than stay and compete for the starting job as a senior. This unwillingness to compete is a major concern. Henry will test well in pre-draft workouts, but NFL teams must be careful not to over-draft him based on athletic ability and overlook his lack of production. If he harnesses his naturally ability, he could become a strong, powerful runner who makes big plays and contributes as a receiver. However, history has shown that similar prospects have failed to be productive in the NFL.

Career statistics

Rushing Receiving
Team Att. Yds. Avg. TD Att./TD Rec. Yds. Avg. TD
'03 Arizona 14 40 2.9 0 — 1 14 14.0 0
'04 Arizona 56 178 3.2 2 28.0 2 -3 -1.5 0
'05 Arizona 34 148 4.4 0 — 2 -3 -1.5 0
'06 Arizona 165 668 4.0 7 23.6 21 197 9.4 1
Totals

Packnut
02-27-2007, 10:27 PM
If Henry is that good, then the coaches at Arizona really suck. I'm not buying the hype.

PackerPro42
02-28-2007, 06:47 AM

I could care less if the guy gets sucked into a scouting report of a work out warrior that was the third string RB on his team. If he wants this guy instead of Lynch then whatever, because he'll be lucky to go in the third round. As far as I'm concerned Lynch had just the work out he needed for him to slip a little bit to the Packers at 16. Like it was mentioned before, I'd take production from the Pac10 offensive player of the year any day, compared to a speedster that looks like he's on roids.

Scott Campbell
02-28-2007, 07:41 AM

I just hope he doesn't go all "Chad Jackson" on us.

MadtownPacker
02-28-2007, 07:59 AM
As far as I'm concerned Lynch had just the work out he needed for him to slip a little bit to the Packers at 16. Like it was mentioned before, I'd take production from the Pac10 offensive player of the year any day, compared to a speedster that looks like he's on roids.Ahh you are OK, I will cancel the milk carton ad. :)

I agree, yesterdays combine results only make the odds of him being there better. He cant be that slow cuz he hit a 4.5 and that is that he stumbled the first ten yards.

Guiness
02-28-2007, 12:03 PM
don't they get a couple of runs?

Someone want to clarify wtf is going on with the Bills wanting to trade Willis M? Did I miss something? Just shy of 1000yds, and a decent avg, right? A lot of fumbles though, I think.

LL2
02-28-2007, 12:12 PM
I know there will be a lot of updated mock draft over the next 8 weeks, but I just saw one on Fox that has GB draft TE Olson at 16 and Lynch dropping to 20. Seems like to some Lynch's stock has fallen.

TennesseePackerBacker
02-28-2007, 12:31 PM
I know there will be a lot of updated mock draft over the next 8 weeks, but I just saw one on Fox that has GB draft TE Olson at 16 and Lynch dropping to 20. Seems like to some Lynch's stock has fallen.

As it should, Lynch did nothing impressive against big defenses, go back and watch the highlight tapes. The 2 games I personally saw him in I was not impressed at all.

The Pack needs to go with either one of the top WR's(unless Landry or Okoye is there) like Meachem or Bowe.

Pittman and Irons both ran 4.3-4.4's at the combine and would be great value picks in the 2nd round, or we could go safety in the 2nd round with Weddle/Merriweather/Wendling.

The fact is we'll be sitting pretty at 16 in the first and second rounds, with a lot of nice options to choose from. Penciling us in at just one pick is absurd.

Partial
02-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I think you see them make an effort to resign green and draft Meachem. For whatever reason, he reminds me of a younger Javon Walker.

BallHawk
02-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Here's a hypothetical question for all of you guys.

If Lynch played in the Big 10 this year, would he of been as successful?

BF4MVP
02-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Here's a hypothetical question for all of you guys.

If Lynch played in the Big 10 this year, would he of been as successful?
The Pac 10 is certainly no slouch..

red
02-28-2007, 04:30 PM
i know you're trying to weave this into a "no, he would suck in the big ten because the big 10 is such a better conference" type of thing so you can say again how much you hate lynch

but i think he might have had better numbers if he was in the big ten. i think teams in the big ten run the ball more, so he would have gotten a lot more carries

i don't think you can discount a guy like you're about to try and do because he doesn't play in the conference you think is the best, and does play in a conference that many big ten fans think is inferior

BallHawk
02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Actually, I'm not asking it for a certain answer. I'm just curious as to what the rest of the forum thinks.

Lurker64
02-28-2007, 04:52 PM
I have to admit, the prospect of drafting a RB in the third round is a hell of a lot more attractive than drafting a RB in the first round.

PackerPro42
02-28-2007, 05:48 PM

As it should, Lynch did nothing impressive against big defenses, go back and watch the highlight tapes. The 2 games I personally saw him in I was not impressed at all.

The Pack needs to go with either one of the top WR's(unless Landry or Okoye is there) like Meachem or Bowe.

Pittman and Irons both ran 4.3-4.4's at the combine and would be great value picks in the 2nd round, or we could go safety in the 2nd round with Weddle/Merriweather/Wendling.

The fact is we'll be sitting pretty at 16 in the first and second rounds, with a lot of nice options to choose from. Penciling us in at just one pick is absurd.

Lynch actually ran a 4.46 at the combine, just to let everyone know. IDK if you guys knew that or not so I thought I would clarify.

red
02-28-2007, 05:59 PM
lynch actually did nothing to hurt his standing, if you actually watched the combine.

HarveyWallbangers
02-28-2007, 06:07 PM
lynch actually did nothing to hurt his standing, if you actually watched the combine.

Actually, some disagree with this. He certainly ran well. I read the following article and another I can't find now that said Lynch was a "combine loser."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6512858

Dropped a little ...

2. Marshawn Lynch, Cal, RB

Another who came to Indy as his position's number two and faltered a little. This is the time of year when teams start poking holes in players and Lynch, who could be a splendid receiver at his position in the NFL, slipped a little because he trailed guys like Henry and Auburn's Kenny Irons in several categories.

There is no question that Lynch may fit some team's west-coast offense, but he doesn't look like a Top 20 player today. His up-right running style is being criticized now, too.

red
02-28-2007, 06:11 PM

Actually, some disagree with this. He certainly ran well. I read the following article and another I can't find now that said Lynch was a "combine loser."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6512858

Dropped a little ...

2. Marshawn Lynch, Cal, RB

see, its all from fox sports. i've seen a few people today mention this when talking about lynch sliding. one source says they didn't like lynch, and now everyone jumps on saying he had a horrible combine, and now he's sliding

i don't know, i didn't see this horrible performance that fox sports saw

HarveyWallbangers
02-28-2007, 06:12 PM
No, there was another one from a completely different site.

PackerPro42
03-01-2007, 06:31 AM
I think the only reason they said he slipped a little bit because he came into the combine expecting to run a 4.3 40 time. He came in and ran a tenth of a second slower and everyone said he had a horrible combine. Sure none of his numbers really stuck out like some of these third string RB's but his workout was by no means bad. I was one of the people that got caght up a lot last year in combine results and it sounds that a lot of you are making the same mistake this year.

Partial
03-01-2007, 07:05 AM
He had a fine combine. It didn't boost him but it certainly didn't lower his standing with people. If he ran a 4.7-5.3 then i'd be worried, but I don't think that extra tenth really means a whole lot in the eyes of GMs.

swede
03-01-2007, 07:48 AM
I'd feel better about picking Lynch if we could trade down a few spots to pick up another 3rd or 4th round pick and still get him with a later pick in the first round.

BallHawk
03-02-2007, 12:17 PM
I think the only reason they said he slipped a little bit because he came into the combine expecting to run a 4.3 40 time. He came in and ran a tenth of a second slower and everyone said he had a horrible combine. Sure none of his numbers really stuck out like some of these third string RB's but his workout was by no means bad. I was one of the people that got caght up a lot last year in combine results and it sounds that a lot of you are making the same mistake this year.

I don't think anybody was expecting him to run a 4.3, but I think what hurt him most was people are bringing up the fact more about his upright running style. That could hurt him.

BallHawk
03-02-2007, 12:18 PM
X.

red
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM

I don't think anybody was expecting him to run a 4.3, but I think what hurt him most was people are bringing up the fact more about his upright running style. That could hurt him.

if this was the case, then it would prove that every single "expert" out there doesn't have a clue what they're talking about, because they never watch game film.

this would be something anyone could notice if they ever watched him play one time

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Yup !

Just ask PackerPro42.

He's got more love on for M. Lynch than I have for Brett Favre. :)