PDA

View Full Version : Packers Indeed Interested In Moss?

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Well, at least some exploratory interest.

Packers have interest in Moss, but receiver would bring lots of baggage
By BOB McGINN

Indianapolis - The Oakland Raiders are trying to dump Randy Moss and the Green Bay Packers definitely are interested if the former all-pro wide receiver would agree to a restructured contact in order to play with a better team and Brett Favre.

Sources close to the situation said the Packers had explored trading for Moss, the temperamental former Minnesota Viking who once pretended to moon the crowd at Lambeau Field.

The two teams have had preliminary dialogue but at this point the Packers consider Moss to be an economically unfeasible solution to their need for another receiver alongside Donald Driver and Greg Jennings.

Moss has two years left on his contract, including base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in '08. Moss' business agent is Tim DiPiero, but some of his affairs are handled by James "Bus" Cook, the only agent Favre has ever had. Mindful of tampering rules, general manager Ted Thompson and Packers coach Mike McCarthy have carefully avoided talking about Moss. Yet, neither has denied interest in him, either.

"You have the opportunity to obtain players for your program through the draft and free agency, and he's another part of free agency," McCarthy said last week. "That's where I stand on that."

The trading period opens Friday. New England and Jacksonville reportedly also are interested in Moss.

Several Raiders sources at the NFL combine indicated that Moss wasn't expected back in '07.

"Moss quit on us last year," one Raiders employee said. "My feeling is he wants to go someplace where they can win. He knows he only has X number of years left and he's never, ever won at any level."

The Raiders were last in just about everything in 2006 and are starting over with a novice head coach, Lane Kiffin, and what might be a rookie quarterback, JaMarcus Russell.

It can be safely assumed that owner Al Davis will start out seeking a first-round draft choice for Moss, who cost the Raiders the seventh overall pick in the 2005 draft and linebacker Napoleon Harris to obtain him from the Vikings just more than two years ago. But, in reality, the Raiders have almost no hope of getting one.

Moss is viewed by many in the league as a declining player, having turned 30 earlier in the month and coming off his poorest season. And with new NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell gung-ho about cracking down on poor behavior by players, some teams say they wouldn't touch Moss.
"I don't think that works," a personnel director for an AFC team said. "I'd develop other guys. You don't want him. It will be a big story. The story will be him, not your team."

There are general managers who wouldn't even consider adding Moss or any player regardless of ability if his character is questionable. But Thompson, who last September signed wide receiver Koren Robinson when he had one foot out of the league for off-field issues, isn't one of them.

Scouts also left the RCA Dome on Sunday afternoon enthusiastically endorsing the number of big, talented wide receivers in the draft.

Kiffin and the Raiders already have made up with wide receiver Jerry Porter, who will be back wearing Tim Brown's old jersey number (81). Ronald Curry led the team with 62 receptions last season and also should return.

Over the years, Davis has relished putting one over on teams in trades, but with Moss he might well end up just taking what he can get.

"I think he's got second-round value but I don't know if anybody would give a two," another AFC personnel director said. "I think clubs will know he's not happy there and he wants to move on. They'll wait it out and say, 'We'll get him at our number.' A three, a four, maybe with conditions."

McCarthy has indicated in the past month that he is in on board with Thompson's philosophy of accumulating picks and building through the draft. He's also well aware what a motivated Moss might mean for an offense that has a receiving void at tight end and little depth at wide receiver.

"You watch the tapes, he can still make you pay if you screw up," said Frank Bush, senior defensive assistant for the Houston Texans. "If he can just have an open area to run, if you don't press him and do some things to screw the route up, when he starts going he can still run and make a big play."

Last season, a Raiders source said Moss didn't like quarterback Aaron Brooks from Day 1 and at one point asked to be traded. When the trade didn't happen, Moss basically went through the motions.

"When we didn't trade him he was like a little kid who threw a tantrum when his parents wouldn't give him something," the source said. "So his tantrum was dropping passes."

According to STATS, Moss dropped eight of 97 targeted throws, or 8.5%. In his three previous seasons he dropped just 14 of 381, or 3.7%. He sat out the final three games with an ankle injury of disputed severity.

"Unfortunately for Randy, it's everybody else's fault except his," said Carl Peterson, president of the Kansas City Chiefs. "I thought Art (Shell) really tried to work hard this year to make him a leader, but that's not his personality.
"He's never done anything to hurt the Chiefs."

Carefully emphasizing his choice of tense, Peterson added, "He was a great talent. You can't play at that (current) level for a while and come back."

Some but not all Raiders employees say Moss has lost a step since his halcyon days in Minnesota, when almost no cornerback in the league could run with him. He didn't participate in the Raiders' off-season program and hasn't always taken good care of his body.

His longest reception in 2006 was 51 yards, when he tied for 78th in the NFL with 42 receptions and ranked 73rd in receiving yards with 553. He scored three touchdowns, giving him 101 in eight seasons, and averaged 13.2 per catch.

"He's a one-dimensional guy who has kind of gone downhill," said a secondary coach for an Oakland foe in '06. "He's going to try to take you deep but he doesn't finish plays. You know when he's going to get the ball just by the way he comes off the line of scrimmage."

His lackadaisical effort as a secondary receiver and blocker was brought up by four defensive coaches for teams that faced Moss last year.

"He still has the ability," Cincinnati defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan said. "It's just a question whether he will lay it on the line for you and buy into it."

An executive for an AFC West team has major reservations if Moss' heart still is in football.

"Does he have the desire to do the types of things he did with (Daunte) Culpepper and Denny Green?" the personnel man said. "Does he really still want to play, or is he in it for the money?"

The Raiders say Moss does have a strong mercenary side to him. One of their employees described him as "mischievous" and "playful," but not loud or disruptive.

"He's been allowed to get away with things in life so he will push you as far as he can possibly push you," one of the Raiders said. "On our team there was nobody to play the role of a player Randy respected.

"If he had respect for Brett, then he could bust his tail for him."

GrnBay007
02-27-2007, 11:45 PM
"Does he have the desire to do the types of things he did with (Daunte) Culpepper and Denny Green?" the personnel man said. "Does he really still want to play, or is he in it for the money?"

"If he had respect for Brett, then he could bust his tail for him."

This is where we have to "Trust in TT". If he believes Moss still has heart and will play to win, I'm all for it. I can put the past behind.

OS PA
02-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Here's what i'd offer Moss.

1 Year - $2,500,000 Base - $1,500,000 Signing Bonus - $500,000 for 10 TD's, $500,000 for 1,000 Yards, $500,000 for a full season, and finally $500,000 for a Pro-Bowl Start.

With a voidable

3 extra years at $4,500,000 Avg. per year with same pro-bowl and TD incentives.

Pacopete4
02-28-2007, 12:28 AM
i'd offer him some weed..

Kiwon
02-28-2007, 02:05 AM
No, no, no!

I was open to T.O. last year and it would have been a mistake. At least T.O. is over the top. A whining and pouting Randy Moss would be too much for Packer fans to take. Things would get ugly and fast. Send in the riot police.

swede
02-28-2007, 07:36 AM
No, no, no!

I was open to T.O. last year and it would have been a mistake. At least T.O. is over the top. A whining and pouting Randy Moss would be too much for Packer fans to take. Things would get ugly and fast. Send in the riot police.

Agreed, Kiwon.

MadtownPacker
02-28-2007, 07:55 AM
I want the Pack to win and if that means Moss then thats how it has to be. There is currently no FA available that could make the impact Moss can if he plays to his potential. There is risk but it is worth the reward.

BooHoo
02-28-2007, 08:01 AM

1 Year - $2,500,000 Base - $1,500,000 Signing Bonus - $500,000 for 10 TD's, $500,000 for 1,000 Yards, $500,000 for a full season, and finally $500,000 for a Pro-Bowl Start.

With a voidable

That would be a great way to structure the contract. Lot's of incentives.

Cheesehead Craig
02-28-2007, 08:32 AM

With a voidable

I think all contracts should be structured like this with performance incentives.

That said, Moss would never take it. No way would he take this big of a paycut. He'll make 60% of the total of this 4 yr deal in just base salary in one year of current deal. Moss would likely take this as an insult and start believing he's not really wanted here, then the pouting begins.

red
02-28-2007, 08:33 AM

With a voidable

they said he would have to restucture, not a take a 40% pay cut

he's suppose to make 9.75 this year. if you restructure his deal, you usually find a way to give him that 9.75 million this year, but find a way to spread out the cap hit. like a 4 million dollar salary for this year, with a 5.75 million dollar signing bonus. or something like that

you're saying give him a pay cut, players rarely if ever do that

why would you give up half the money you're suppose to make that year? the only way we could sign him to your type of deal, is if he is cut, not traded, then his old contract and the money he was suppose to make this year would go away

Packnut
02-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Moss plays for the cash and I don't see him taking a pay cut. He's not worth 9.75 mill. On the other hand, Jackson makes 4 mill and does'nt have the baggage. Also his production is better than Randy's is. I'd give a #2 pick for Jackson. Can you imagine how Driver would do against single coverage?

Driver, Jackson and Jennings would give Brett some targets and make us a play-off team.

retailguy
02-28-2007, 08:40 AM

With a voidable

I'll take you with me when I try to buy that brand spanking new Mercedes for 20K....:roll:

WHY would Moss take LESS money? He's got a contract to pay him 9.75mil and he'll make 9.75 mil, one way or another. He's NOT getting cut...

oregonpackfan
02-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Here's what I would offer Moss--minimum wage salary and an autographed poster of Brett Favre. If he won't take it, too bad.

POLISHHAWK
02-28-2007, 01:09 PM
They will be talking about the topic on the Dan Patrick Show (Radio).

superfan
02-28-2007, 01:16 PM
I like the Darrell Jackson angle. Is the $4 mil his current salary, or are we just projecting his value?

Driver, Jackson, Jennings should be a very productive WR corps. Three solid guys, none of which are particularly flashy, but get the job done.

Plus, Jackson can hook up with former teammate KRob. :roll: 8)

Packnut
02-28-2007, 01:25 PM
I like the Darrell Jackson angle. Is the $4 mil his current salary, or are we just projecting his value?

Driver, Jackson, Jennings should be a very productive WR corps. Three solid guys, none of which are particularly flashy, but get the job done.

Plus, Jackson can hook up with former teammate KRob. :roll: 8)

Yep, 4 mill for 2007, 4.25 for 2008 and I believe 4 mill for 2009

Partial
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Moss plays for the cash and I don't see him taking a pay cut. He's not worth 9.75 mill. On the other hand, Jackson makes 4 mill and does'nt have the baggage. Also his production is better than Randy's is. I'd give a #2 pick for Jackson. Can you imagine how Driver would do against single coverage?

Driver, Jackson and Jennings would give Brett some targets and make us a play-off team.

Jackson is good but when you have a HOF qb you can get a guy put up Jackson's numbers for half the price. What you need is a guy who can create plays with the playmaking QB and you'll have something special. Is that still Moss? Who knows. I do know that Javon would look really, really great in green and gold right now.

prsnfoto
02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
If everyone was smart they would tell Al Davis to stick it, because he is going to cut him if they are willing to ante up the rest of his PRSB and trade him they are willing to eat his PRSB and cut him to save 20 million over the next two years. This is where teams need to be smarter then let the bidding begin at most he is a 6-8 million dollar receiver. Then I could see us make a run at him,Jackson would be OK too but I think he is basically DD lookalike.

retailguy
02-28-2007, 02:08 PM
If everyone was smart they would tell Al Davis to stick it, because he is going to cut him if they are willing to ante up the rest of his PRSB and trade him they are willing to eat his PRSB and cut him to save 20 million over the next two years. This is where teams need to be smarter then let the bidding begin at most he is a 6-8 million dollar receiver. Then I could see us make a run at him,Jackson would be OK too but I think he is basically DD lookalike.

Al Davis is NOT going to cut Randy Moss. This is nuts. Randy Moss will either be traded or playing for Oakland. He will NOT be cut... Nothing about Al Davis suggest this is a possibility.

prsnfoto
02-28-2007, 02:18 PM

Al Davis is NOT going to cut Randy Moss. This is nuts. Randy Moss will either be traded or playing for Oakland. He will NOT be cut... Nothing about Al Davis suggest this is a possibility.

And you base that opinion on what inside knowledge? Teams cut players for cap reasons all the time Oakland has no money and Randy is getting paid more than C. Johnson,T.O. and about 40 other receivers that are better than him. I am sure someone will be dumb enough to give a third round pick and 20 million to get him but if they don't we will see who is right after June 1st.

HarveyWallbangers
02-28-2007, 02:35 PM
I think it's unlikey that the Raiders will just cut him. Davis will get something for him. Moss knows he wouldn't get as much as a FA now as his deal is paying him, so I have little doubt that he'd be willing to rework his deal to go elsewhere. If a team really wanted Moss, it's kind of silly to think they should keep from offering him a deal just because you think Davis might cut him. For what? Then, he becomes an UFA (bidding war), and there's a good chance you don't get him. If you want the guy, you talk to his agent and see what numbers he's willing to renegotiate to. Then, you determine how much value you think he brings to the team. The Raiders aren't in a position of strength regarding him, but he's still a valuable commodity for them if his salary isn't issue (e.g. he's willing to rework his deal for another team).

swede
02-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Hello!

This is Randy Moss we are talking about here.

He has some track record of showing flashes of clearly brilliant play, although there has been very little of that in the last two years.

He has a lengthy record of being immature on the sideline, troublesome in the lockerroom, and, worst of all, he is the ONLY professional football player I know who absolutely quits on the field when he isn't happy.

Thank goodness this isn't going to happen.

Merlin
02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Al Davis is clearly a moron and Moss isn't going to want to play for his 4th head coach in as many years. Especially one that hasn't proven he can cut it in the NFL. TT will take a run at him and Moss will jump at the chance to play in Green Bay because Favre is here and Moss knows would be motivated to play for a REAL QB.

prsnfoto
02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
I think it's unlikey that the Raiders will just cut him. Davis will get something for him. Moss knows he wouldn't get as much as a FA now as his deal is paying him, so I have little doubt that he'd be willing to rework his deal to go elsewhere. If a team really wanted Moss, it's kind of silly to think they should keep from offering him a deal just because you think Davis might cut him. For what? Then, he becomes an UFA (bidding war), and there's a good chance you don't get him. If you want the guy, you talk to his agent and see what numbers he's willing to renegotiate to. Then, you determine how much value you think he brings to the team. The Raiders aren't in a position of strength regarding him, but he's still a valuable commodity for them if his salary isn't issue (e.g. he's willing to rework his deal for another team).

I agree Harvey but what if Moss won't take a pay cut and almost no player will take less money to redo a contract he will expept to get his 10 million this year as guarenteed money and then may take an extension for less money per year, but no way is he just going to sign a 5 year 25 million dollar deal which is all he is worth when he already has 20 coming. like I said someone will do this but I wish the NFL collectively would play hardball.

BF4MVP
02-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Gotta get Moss if it's at all possible. I don't even care about the $$..The Packers certainly have enough of that..We have to do it because Moss would elevate us from borderline playoff contenders to a team which not only could make the playoffs, but could make a playoff run as well..

red
02-28-2007, 04:35 PM
PTI has picked up on it, it was the #2 story for them

kornhieser said if he was green bay or new england he'd take moss

BF4MVP
02-28-2007, 04:38 PM
They were talking about Moss on Around the Horn and all four writers thought Green Bay would be a good place for him..Then when Tony told them all to tell him in "one word or less" which team they think Moss will be playing for next season, JA Adonde said "Green" and Woody Paige said "Bay" and Tim Cowlishaw said "Pack" and Jay Mariotti said "OAK"..

Tony on PTI said that he would trade for Moss if he was running either the Packers or the Patriots..He said that if he has any chance of being a good teammate, it would be in Green Bay or New England..Wilbon didn't think that Moss and Belichik would work, and said that he could be a good teammate in Green Bay..

Brando19
02-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Steve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, reports the Green Bay Packers and Oakland Raiders have discussed a possible trade scenario involving WR Randy Moss, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The Packers would be interested in landing Moss if he agrees to restructure his contract. Moss is scheduled to earn a base salary of $9.75 million next season and $11.25 million in 2008, the final year of the eight-year, $75 million contract he signed with the Minnesota Vikings. The Raiders would free up roughly $8 million in cap room for 2007 should they trade Moss, even though they would absorb the remaining $4.04 million of Moss' signing bonus yet unaccounted for.

red
02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
it should be noted, that talks are underway between green bay and oakland

PackerTimer
02-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Some folks on espn just said the asking price is a first round pick. I don't see this deal being done unless the Raiders are willing to lower the price. It's just not in TT's nature to part with that high of a pick.

HarveyWallbangers
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
No way I do it for a 1st. No way! If the crazy old man thinks he can get that, he's nuts.

BF4MVP
02-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I do think Moss will be in Green Bay next year. I don't think we'll have to part with our first round pick to get him though.