PDA

View Full Version : Article: Favre tried to recruit Arrington

MadtownPacker
04-25-2006, 04:04 AM
Favre's sales pitch not good enough (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=418499)
Arrington had talk with QB
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
Posted: April 25, 2006

It's easy to assume that quarterback Brett Favre's uncertain status played a role in free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington's decision to reject the Green Bay Packers' offer and sign with the New York Giants.

And indeed it ultimately may have.

But Arrington told the Washington Times last weekend that Favre intervened on the Packers' behalf late in the process to strongly encourage the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker to sign with the Packers. Arrington told the newspaper that Favre nearly swayed him to accept an offer from Green Bay that was thought to be for more money than what the Giants offered.

One of Arrington's agents, Kevin Poston, confirmed that Arrington didn't take the best offer on the table, telling the Newark Star-Ledger that one of the teams offered slightly more, although he declined to name the team. The Packers and Giants were thought to be the two finalists in the Arrington sweepstakes, with Miami and Jacksonville making pitches as well.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson said he had no knowledge of Favre playing a role in recruiting Arrington. Neither Poston nor Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, could be reached for comment.

But the Times reported that Arrington received a sales pitch from Favre before he made his decision and thought hard about it.

Thompson remained vague about Favre's status for next season and said he, like everyone else, was waiting to hear whether he would return this season. Meeting with reporters at a pre-draft news conference Monday in Green Bay, Thompson seemed at ease with the possibility that Favre would wait until after the draft to make his decision and indicated that it wouldn't affect his plans for this weekend.

"He has reached a certain position in this game and the respect we all have for him, he's trying to make this decision and is trying to do it in the best way he can for him and his family," Thompson said. "You wished we had it earlier. We had this so-called timeline, but it was always throwing the dart at the calendar. We'd like to know but I'm sure he'd like to know."

Asked if he expected to hear something before the draft, Thompson said: "I've gotten to the point where I'm not necessarily anticipating, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if we got some sort of answer. I'm probably the same as you guys."

If Favre was playing recruiter for the Packers it would seem to indicate a strong desire to return, but he has said in various interviews that he's feeling the itch to play but doesn't want to endure another 4-12 season. Arrington expressed to the Times that the fact the Packers were 4-12 last season and that Favre might play only one more year were factors that weighed on his mind.

Now that Arrington has gone to New York, the last big-name free agent out there is cornerback Charles Woodson, who remains high on the Packers' wish list. Talks with Woodson and his agent, Carl Poston, Kevin Poston's brother, continued Monday. The Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the front-runners for Woodson's services and it's possible the veteran cornerback will make a decision on his new home before the draft.

The fact the Packers are coming off their first losing season since Favre became the starter in 1992 and Favre is nearing the end of the road probably isn't doing the Packers many favors in free agency. Add in the uncertain status of wide receiver Javon Walker, who has vowed never to play for the team again, and Green Bay has lost a lot of its cachet.

Arrington listed factors such as remaining in the NFC East where he could play against his old team twice a year, staying close to his home in Annapolis, Md., and playing in a big city as factors that led him to the Giants. But he also identified the Giants as "a winning team, a team heading in the right direction," in the Times interview.

If the Packers are able to sign Woodson it would certainly be an argument against Green Bay returning to the barren northern outpost it was in the 1970s and '80s. The Packers are going up against a Buccaneers team that features Woodson's old Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden, whose persuasiveness can lead players to take less money to play for him.

However, Thompson reiterated that he is not going to engage in profligacy to build his football team.

"We will continue to make efforts to do some things," Thompson said.

"We do try to make certain what we do is not just fantasy football. We're investing in a player that has to come in here and play a particular role. If we don't think that player can perform to that contract it doesn't make sense for us to do it just to say, 'Look at what we spent.' "

Tarlam!
04-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Excellent stuff! I raised this issue on a thread yesterday, wondering if Favre's negative influence turned LaVar to NYG. I am most relieved to read the opposite is true.

This is great medicine!

Fritz
04-25-2006, 05:38 AM
"an offer from Green Bay that was thought to be for more money than what the Giants offered.

One of Arrington's agents, Kevin Poston, confirmed that Arrington didn't take the best offer on the table, telling the Newark Star-Ledger that one of the teams offered slightly more"

I would like to add that the above section of the article suggests that TT is not the lowballing penny pincher that so many of the anti-TT crowd like to claim. His offer was higher. So stop with all the "TT doesn't want to spend any money" talk, please.

Rastak
04-25-2006, 06:20 AM
"an offer from Green Bay that was thought to be for more money than what the Giants offered.

One of Arrington's agents, Kevin Poston, confirmed that Arrington didn't take the best offer on the table, telling the Newark Star-Ledger that one of the teams offered slightly more"

I would like to add that the above section of the article suggests that TT is not the lowballing penny pincher that so many of the anti-TT crowd like to claim. His offer was higher. So stop with all the "TT doesn't want to spend any money" talk, please.

Actually KFFL reported it to be "slightly" higher which could indicate TT tried not to pay much more than anyone else instead of saying...."Here is where the cash is at". Not that I would have shown Arrington a ton of money, I would have been hesitant to sign him were I GM. I'm only pointing out that TT didn't blow him away with an offer.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2006, 07:39 AM
I've said this before. It's not the fact that he missed out on a specific FA. It's the fact that he waited for the second stage of FA to get good value, and wasn't able to do it. Seems like a flawed plan. This teams has holes, and we've filled it with the same type of FAs that bombed in 2005. Although I like the low-ball signings he did make, I wish he had made more of them. There's little out there now--except a couple of corners. Don't bank on July 1st cuts being of much value this year either. Usually, they are overrated. This year even more so because most teams are in good cap shape now.

GBRulz
04-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Gone are the days when FA's wanted to play here to be on the same team as Brett Favre. In addition to the talent and leadership he brings to the team - this is an area where I feel that we've been spoiled in the past when it comes to recruiting FA's.

It's almost like now we have to overspend to get FA's to come in here and obviously the Packers aren't used to being in that position.

If we have another season like last...do you think when John Jones takes over for Harlan next season there will be another house cleaning?

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 08:39 AM
I think it will still be too soon. I believe he will be looking hard at forward progress over definite wins and losses. If they find themselves in a position where we have the depth back and just need a few pieces to finish the puzzle, I think everyone stays where they are. If by that point we're gasping for breath and nothing has improved (which I really don't see happening), then another change might be in order, but there is something to be said for a little stability.

Rastak
04-25-2006, 12:29 PM
From KFFL:

Giants | Agent says contract terrible for Arrington
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:59:58 -0700

Paul Schwartz, of the New York Post, reports an agent with knowledge of New York Giants LB LaVar Arrington's contract said the contract from Arrington's point of view is terrible. His $5.25 signing bonus is virtually inconsequential when pro-rated over seven-years and the roster bonuses over the first two years are based on playing time.

No Mo Moss
04-25-2006, 02:59 PM
WTF: has he actually physically signed it yet? I know sometimes they break the story once they agree in principal, but before they physically sign it. What an idiot if this is the case.

Patler
04-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I can just hear the conversation between Favre and Arrington:

"Hi, LaVar? This is Brett."

"Hey Brett, how's it goin'?"

"Just great. You know LaVar, you really should sign with Green Bay. Great small town, best fans in the league. The Packers really need you too. You'ld be a perfect addition. We would love to have you there."

"So you're comin' back again next year then, hey Brett?"

"Ah...got go LaVar. Lawn needs mowin'. Nice talkin' to ya!"

I'm sure Arrington found it VERY convincing! :lol:

Bretsky
04-25-2006, 08:07 PM
I've said this before. It's not the fact that he missed out on a specific FA. It's the fact that he waited for the second stage of FA to get good value, and wasn't able to do it. Seems like a flawed plan. This teams has holes, and we've filled it with the same type of FAs that bombed in 2005. Although I like the low-ball signings he did make, I wish he had made more of them. There's little out there now--except a couple of corners. Don't bank on July 1st cuts being of much value this year either. Usually, they are overrated. This year even more so because most teams are in good cap shape now.

THIS SUMS UP TED THOMPSON'S EFFORTS BETTER THAN ANY BLOG I'VE SEEN.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 08:12 PM
What are you going to be saying if by some unexpected chance, they field a winning team this year Wist Jr.?

Bretsky
04-25-2006, 08:25 PM
What are you going to be saying if by some unexpected chance, they field a winning team this year Wist Jr.?

If they field a winning team, we'll all be glorifying Favre for having a wonderful year.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 08:27 PM
And if he retires and a miracle happens?

Tarlam!
04-26-2006, 12:26 PM
And if he retires and a miracle happens?

Too late.

But I wish B woulda answered that question!

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 08:52 PM
LaVar Arrington, the free-agent linebacker who signed with the New York Giants, told NFL Network on Tuesday he nearly signed with the Packers and it was a phone call from Favre that almost made him a Packer.

"It came close to being Green Bay for a little while," Arrington said.

Without specifying, Arrington said he and his family decided what the Giants offered was "a great situation."

But a telephone conversation Arrington had with Favre nearly convinced him otherwise.

"We spoke briefly," Arrington said. "I almost pulled the trigger when he called. I mean, man, how many times do you get one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game calling you on the phone? He basically let me know it would mean a lot to him if I did come to Green Bay to try and help get things turned around. It got me emotionally tied up, man. You know, Brett Favre calling, asking for some help."

jack's smirking revenge
04-26-2006, 08:58 PM
It's Arrington's loss. He'll be kicking himself in a couple of years.

(Actually, can a guy that big kick himself?)

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2006, 09:04 PM
I thought Arrington came across pretty good in a recent interview that I saw of him. I'll predict right now that he makes the Pro Bowl next year. He's going to be a monster there. I would have much rather had him than Woodson, but I'm happy to have Woodson. If you were Arrington, why wouldn't you go to NY? Better team, franchise QB, big market endorsements and hype, the nightlife, revenge twice against old team.

b bulldog
04-26-2006, 09:05 PM
I agree Harv, the Gmen are much closer than the Pack and that area is much closer to home for him.