PDA

View Full Version : Good-Bye Mr Green?

Packnut
02-28-2007, 09:33 PM
This ain't good. Pack and Green are not even in the same state let alone same ball-park...

"Green is thought to be seeking a deal worth more than $5 million a year and the Packers appear to be offering much less."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=571947

b bulldog
02-28-2007, 09:35 PM
I'll back TT here. I don't think Green is worth $5mil per season.

Packnut
02-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I'll back TT here. I don't think Green is worth $5mil per season.

We agree on this one. I love Green but I was thinking a 3 yr deal at 2 million per with a mill signing bonus. I wonder if some team out there is gonna give him what he wants?

GBRulz
02-28-2007, 09:41 PM
It's a tough call. I guess if he's looking for $5 mil a year, letting him test his value in FA is probably the best thing. He's not an every down back, so I think that hurts his marketibility quite a bit.

I sure hate to see him go, though.

BF4MVP
02-28-2007, 09:42 PM
5 mil a year? Are you FREAKING kidding me?! Let him walk.

b bulldog
02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
With all the talk about Moss and his issues, they are warranted, doesn't Green have a few issues of his own?? I could never respect a man that likes to batter his women :oops:

RashanGary
02-28-2007, 09:45 PM
I think Green is worth 2 years 7 mil with 3 up-front and incentives to earn another mil per year if he makes the probowl. If he made the probowl he'd be worth it but I doubt he would so 3.5 per year is about fair.

digitaldean
02-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I think Green is worth 2 years 7 mil with 3 up-front and incentives to earn another mil per year if he makes the probowl. If he made the probowl he'd be worth it but I doubt he would so 3.5 per year is about fair.

That seems to be more of a realistic set of numbers than what Ahman wants.

Partial
I think the Giants will throw a lot of money his way for a year or two until they can find another lightning to compliment brandon jacobs.

CaptainKickass
Pay the man a deal just like - or similar to the Jenkins deal. That shows you he's worth at least as much as someone they consider a rising star, and it also locks him out of free agency for what would likely be the rest of his career. This also gives one advantage, one very intangible advantage and that advantage is quite simply - the comfort level of of Brett Favre.

If you want Favre to have 1 last shot - he has to feel more than comfortable with his supporting cast. He more than trusts Green to block for him, and he also trusts that he can catch, particularily out of the backfield, or on the - lately very occasional - screen pass.

That trust alone is worth giving Ahman green 5 mil per year.

Regards,

The Captain

b bulldog
02-28-2007, 09:48 PM
I agree Nick but I wouldn't give him more than two years.

gbpackfan
02-28-2007, 09:53 PM
3 year deal at 10 mill. Structure so they can cut him after two and not take a huge cap hit. There, it's done.

CaliforniaCheez
03-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Green made over 3 million last year. 2.5 million was his base and he did make some extra incentives. I know 500K was earned for surpassing 950 yards rushing.

I suspect the dispute is over the length of the contract and not the financial terms.

pittstang5
03-01-2007, 09:30 AM
It'll be interesting in the next couple days to see what other teams will offer Green. Maybe Green is thinking the Pack is low balling him and he wants to see what other teams will offer. I just don't see any team giving him 5 mil a year. But if someone does - congrats to Green. I'd hate to see him go, but I personally don't think 5 mil a year is worth it.

On the other hand, losing Green is going to hurt. You lose a decent starting back who knows the system and really have no one on the current roster to step up and fill in. (Maybe Green knows this and is using it against TT) Having Favre come back is huge, but without a decent running game, Favre is going to struggle again. IMO, Green is an important cog in this year's offense to establish a good running game. Granted Green didn't have a monster year last year, but I figured he'd be better this year - one year after the surgery. The leg will be stronger and he could push it a little more than he did last year.

What a sticky situation. I really thought they'd have this hammered out before FA. I hope they can come to terms.

wist43
03-01-2007, 09:33 AM
My number for Green is somewhere around $4 mil/yr for 2 years...

He's an every down back, but does need to spelled every third series...

At $4mil and healthy, he's worth every penny... still a damn good back.

VermontPackFan
03-01-2007, 10:49 AM
TT would be crazy to let Green test the open market, if he does, he is as good as gone. Someone will pay him big dollars...
TT is not crazy, a last minute deal will be signed sometime tonight.

Tony Oday
03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
7 mil contract 3 up front 2 years with bonuses for 16 games played in, 10 total TDs, Probowl, 50 catches and over 1000 yards. Every time he hits one he gets a milion bonus. If he hits those he is productive and worth the extra cash, if not then he is worth the base 7 million. JMO

red
03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
i'd hate to see him go, not just because it would completely screw up our RB situation, but because he's been a good packer

but i can completely see why he wants to test the market. this is a guy who's been one of the top rb's in the nfl. yet he has never once gotten that blockbuster deal that many lesser rb's have gotten. so if green bay only offered up another one or 2 year deal worth 3 million or so a year, i could see why he would try and find more, a lot more

Freak Out
03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
We do not want to lose Green right now. With Green this team is close...more so than some folks think. If TT lets him go who does he replace him with? Not with a rookie.

Tony Oday
03-01-2007, 12:40 PM
worked for the colts this year :)

If we get a stud Rookie well heck ya let him go but man its AG!!! He is Green and Gold all the way through!

Freak Out
03-01-2007, 01:21 PM
worked for the colts this year :)

If we get a stud Rookie well heck ya let him go but man its AG!!! He is Green and Gold all the way through!

They had a very good Vet running with him. Remember?

Fritz
03-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Hate to see him go, but 5 mil per sounds steep. But I wonder if Mike Sherman's going to bring him down to Packer South. He did like to overpay aging vets when he was GM.

MadtownPacker
03-01-2007, 02:08 PM
It would be a shame to see Ahman go anywheres else. I dont think anyone would really mind if TT overpaid a lil to keep a loyal, hardworking Packer on the team. Its not like the RB position is has any depth at this time.

BooHoo
03-01-2007, 03:07 PM
This is a tough call for me. In one way, $5 mil a season seems like a lot of money for Green. On the other hand, it would be risky not having him all signed up. Who would replace him? We would have to look outside of the organization in FA or draft and then it would be a crap shoot whether they could compare with Green. This is a tough one and glad I am not making the call.

Guiness
03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
$5mil does seem a little steep - I don't know what the market is for RB's right now.

Seems like I stand alone here, but my knee jerk is to give him the money, and consider it for services rendered. We've go the cap, and we're not going to spend it anyways. Give him a deal that amounts to two 1yr $5mil deals so we can cut him after this year if we need to.

MJZiggy
03-01-2007, 03:57 PM
$5mil does seem a little steep - I don't know what the market is for RB's right now.

Seems like I stand alone here, but my knee jerk is to give him the money, and consider it for services rendered. We've go the cap, and we're not going to spend it anyways. Give him a deal that amounts to two 1yr $5mil deals so we can cut him after this year if we need to.

Sounds very familiar, like what everyone said last year before he came back and performed...I also happen to agree with it. Let the man finish his career here.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 03:58 PM
RB isn't a real premium position anymore. However, there's only four RBs available that have been solid staters (Ahman, Chris Brown, Jamal Lewis, and Dominic Rhodes), and Ahman is the best of the bunch. Brown is injury prone. Rhodes isn't as good as he's looked in the Indy offense, and he's injury prone also. Lewis has to be in the right system to be effective.

woodbuck27
03-01-2007, 04:17 PM
There is no way in that Ted Thompson can allow Ahman Green to test the FA market or we will see him go. Then what are OUR options that doesn't include a load of pressure?

If the rumor of Moss coming to us is true, then TT must sign Ahman Green. Besides that Ahman is a Packer and he will run the ball better in 2007 or in his second season coming off that horrid injury.

Ted Thompson has to and will get this done to set up 2007 otherwise we are behind the 8-ball.Mike McCarthy keeps talking of the impotance of the running game and we have to get that back to set up the pass.

Acquiring Randy Moss comes hand in hand with retaining Ahman Green.

I'm intrigued that Willis McGahee is rumored to be available for a third rd. pick. I really hope that we retain Ahman Green.

Guiness
03-01-2007, 04:52 PM
RB isn't a real premium position anymore. However, there's only four RBs available that have been solid staters (Ahman, Chris Brown, Jamal Lewis, and Dominic Rhodes), and Ahman is the best of the bunch. Brown is injury prone. Rhodes isn't as good as he's looked in the Indy offense, and he's injury prone also. Lewis has to be in the right system to be effective.

Damn what Chris Brown did to us in the fall of '05...