PDA

View Full Version : Bly traded to Denver for Tatum Bell and draft pick

Spaulding
03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
NFLFans listed this trade as reported. Basically a plus for the Packers as outside of Shaun Rogers, Bly was the Kittycats best defensive player.

Makes sense on both sides as Kevin Jones might not make it back this year and Bly wanted out anyways.

digitaldean
03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
NFLFans listed this trade as reported. Basically a plus for the Packers as outside of Shaun Rogers, Bly was the Kittycats best defensive player.

Makes sense on both sides as Kevin Jones might not make it back this year and Bly wanted out anyways.

What a pair of DBs... Champ Bailey and Dre Bly.

Broncos are setting themselves up pretty nicely on D.

GoPackGo
03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784408

great! now we have Tatum Bell's fumbles to look forward to twice a year!

Rastak
03-01-2007, 12:50 PM

They sure are, isn't Bates the DC now?

ND72
03-01-2007, 12:50 PM
I think this is also a way for detroit to get away from having to draft a RB,...bring in Bell, see if Calhoun can produce..and go with what you got.

digitaldean
03-01-2007, 12:51 PM

They sure are, isn't Bates the DC now?

You are correct, sir.

ND72
03-01-2007, 12:52 PM
AND....Greg Foster was the Broncos starting RT last season...maybe this signals they won't draft Thomas either......

And Bates is NOT the DC. He is the Defensive Consultant. Slowick is the DC in Denver.

Partial
03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Tatum Bell is a better version of Morency. He'll have a decent year in Martz O.

BF4MVP
03-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't know how Bell will do in Detroit..But Denver got a good deal..

red
03-01-2007, 01:20 PM
i'd say detroit got a good deal. they now have 2 pretty good RB's, if kevin jones is ready to go like he said he will be. and they get a starting OT

Fritz
03-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Anybody know what draft pick Detroit got?

Is Tatum Bell really a fumbler? I don't know much about him.

ND72
03-01-2007, 01:47 PM
they got a draft pick with this as well?

red
03-01-2007, 01:48 PM

i don't think there was a draft pick, i think that was a typo

espn news is saying its bly, for bell and foster

GoPackGo
03-01-2007, 01:49 PM

he fumbled 7 times in 13 games last year. Denver lost 5 of those

MadtownPacker
03-01-2007, 01:49 PM
I wonder if millen is OK, this seems so intelligent and unlike him.

Fritz
03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
If they got Foster than maybe Detroit will actually do something smart in the draft and draft Calvin Johnson. But I hope not.

red
03-01-2007, 01:56 PM
ok, PFT says that they have confirmed its

bell, foster AND 5th round pick

for bly

Rastak
03-01-2007, 01:58 PM
ok, PFT says that they have confirmed its

bell, foster AND 5th round pick

for bly

I think Detroit did ok on that deal.....

Is it possible for a guy that fumbles to stop?

Cough "tiki and ahman" cough cough.

ND72
03-01-2007, 02:00 PM
I think detroit did very well with this trade...except now there is a GLARING hole on their defense.

Rastak
03-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I think detroit did very well with this trade...except now there is a GLARING hole on their defense.

Indeed......maybe a FA or a 2nd round pick could be used to fill that hole.....

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Pretty even trade. Detroit has no CBs and has Kevin Jones at RB though, so that perplexes me. You know any move Millen makes is going to blow up in his face.

ND72
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Pretty even trade. Detroit has no CBs and has Kevin Jones at RB though, so that perplexes me. You know any move Millen makes is going to blow up in his face.

again...Kevin Jones MIGHT not be back right away next season. He had that major foot injury, they are hoping he can recover in time to play next year...BUT. Millen is just covering his butt.

Rastak
03-01-2007, 02:13 PM

again...Kevin Jones MIGHT not be back right away next season. He had that major foot injury, they are hoping he can recover in time to play next year...BUT. Millen is just covering his butt.

Exactly...Jones may not come back from what I hear.....or it may be a year from now....

red
03-01-2007, 02:38 PM
the lions came out a few weeks ago and said he might miss the whole season, then jones came out a day or two later and said he had no idea where that came from, because he's on schedule and should be ready to go by camp

so it sounds like no one has a clue whats going on with jones. which should be no surprise considering he's a lion

Rastak
03-01-2007, 02:45 PM
the lions came out a few weeks ago and said he might miss the whole season, then jones came out a day or two later and said he had no idea where that came from, because he's on schedule and should be ready to go by camp

so it sounds like no one has a clue whats going on with jones. which should be no surprise considering he's a lion

Or more likely considering the injury. I'm not sure the color of his jersey factors into this.,...

BooHoo
03-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I wonder if millen is OK, this seems so intelligent and unlike him.

Millen must have step out of the office for a few minutes and the only smart guy in the organization (maintenance worker) made the deal. :)

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Hadn't read that Foster was thrown in. Knowing the injury to Jones is serious and that they got Foster plus a pick, I think Millen did a good job. Foster is young yet, and has started for Denver for awhile. He's a big, not very mobile guy who was an awkward fit for Denver's scheme. In Detroit's system I think he can become a solid starter. Good trade.

digitaldean
03-01-2007, 08:07 PM
AND....Greg Foster was the Broncos starting RT last season...maybe this signals they won't draft Thomas either......

And Bates is NOT the DC. He is the Defensive Consultant. Slowick is the DC in Denver.

I stand corrected. Bates is the assistant head coach/defense and SLOW is the DC. My bad. :oops:

I assume that Shanny won't let the D get as chaotic as GB's was under Slow's tenure, because he has Bates to oversee it.

motife
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Ron Wolf said one of the reasons he quit is because it was impossible to trade anymore, because of the salary cap acceleration of the now obligatory signing bonuses.

It appears with the huge increase in the salary cap, that instead of throwing money at a non-descript free agent pool, with perhaps only 5 blue chip players available this year, trades are coming back.

Teams are using up trading more readily because of cap room, and reluctance to over spend on middle to low range talent.

I think we'll see a lot more blockbuster trades in future.

Fritz
03-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Let me try this from another angle: Detroit gave up a pro-bowl quality cornerback for a running back whom the Detroit radio reporters all said was not expected to carry the full load when Jones got back (supposedly by mid-season), and a right tackle who started 13 games, but did not start three others (but NOT due to injury).

So Tatum Bell will be their change of pace back, the right tackle is huge (338) and not a guaranteed quality starter, and though Deteroit gets a fifth round pick they also give up their sixth.

Maybe that's not so great. Detroit may have gotten some depth but not high quality talent.

the_idle_threat
03-02-2007, 06:29 AM
I can live with that. :twisted: :lol:

Millen strikes again!!!

MadtownPacker
03-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Millen must have step out of the office for a few minutes and the only smart guy in the organization (maintenance worker) made the deal. :)
Haha! Very possible but now that posters have broken down the details it is starting to look like Millen did indeed have something to do with it.

Fritz
03-02-2007, 09:02 AM
If Calvin Johnson is sitting there at the #2 pick, and the Lions don't take him, then Matt Millen should have the word "MORON" tattooed across his forehead. I like Joe Thomas at all, but CJ is a playmaker, the real deal. Thomas would anchor the right side of Detroit's line, sure, but will not have the impact that CJ would have. Now, however, the rumors are that Oakland will take him. They'd be smart to do so. Best player in the draft.

Guiness
03-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't like the deal myself.

CB is a tough position to fill, and you certainly can't do it right out of the draft - it takes a couple of years to develop them, it seems. Did any drafted CB get 8 starts last year? RB is viewed as an 'instant gratification' position. I can think of 3 RBs off the top of my head that got the majority (or close to it) of carries for their team.

I know the stakes are different but...Champ vs Portis...I'm taking Champ.

wrt Millen picking CJ - this is the one year he probably should, but you know he just can't...