PDA

View Full Version : green bay, not the siberia of the NFL anymore

red
03-01-2007, 02:34 PM
long gone are the days when players thought that green bay was the worse team to go to. its not just a place for players go to die anymore like we saw in the 70's and 80's

espn's eric allen gave a list of the top places to play.

Philly tops list of best places to play
Allen
By Eric Allen
ESPN.com
Archive

With free agency set to begin Friday, here are my top five places to play.

1. Philadelphia: I will admit my bias here, but I consider myself lucky to have played in such a great town. There are heavy expectations placed on the players in this city by some of the most knowledgeable fans in the league. It's a great place to play.

2. Green Bay: The Packers' home is where knowledge and tradition meet. It's so much fun walking into this stadium and feeling the tradition wash over you. There aren't many other cities where the fans are as involved.

3. Pittsburgh: Talk about a rabid fan base. There are Steelers fans everywhere and that, in addition to the great ownership, makes this a great place to play.

4. New York: It doesn't matter which New York team you're playing for because the opportunities to have a post-football career are increased exponentially by the presence of the New York media. Is the scrutiny at its highest … yes, but if you can handle it well, you could be set for life.

5. Kansas City: This one might come as a surprise, but everyone I know who has played in K.C. has absolutely loved it. The fans are fantastic, the food is great and the stadium is always filled.

Rastak
03-01-2007, 03:02 PM
long gone are the days when players thought that green bay was the worse team to go to. its not just a place for players go to die anymore like we saw in the 70's and 80's

espn's eric allen gave a list of the top places to play.

Philly tops list of best places to play
Allen
By Eric Allen
ESPN.com
Archive

With free agency set to begin Friday, here are my top five places to play.

1. Philadelphia: I will admit my bias here, but I consider myself lucky to have played in such a great town. There are heavy expectations placed on the players in this city by some of the most knowledgeable fans in the league. It's a great place to play.

2. Green Bay: The Packers' home is where knowledge and tradition meet. It's so much fun walking into this stadium and feeling the tradition wash over you. There aren't many other cities where the fans are as involved.

3. Pittsburgh: Talk about a rabid fan base. There are Steelers fans everywhere and that, in addition to the great ownership, makes this a great place to play.

4. New York: It doesn't matter which New York team you're playing for because the opportunities to have a post-football career are increased exponentially by the presence of the New York media. Is the scrutiny at its highest … yes, but if you can handle it well, you could be set for life.

5. Kansas City: This one might come as a surprise, but everyone I know who has played in K.C. has absolutely loved it. The fans are fantastic, the food is great and the stadium is always filled.

I thought the general consensus was that ESPN writers were morons?

LOL......that's what I've been reading here anyway.....

red
03-01-2007, 03:10 PM
I thought the general consensus was that ESPN writers were morons?

LOL......that's what I've been reading here anyway.....

only when i decide they're wrong about something

Freak Out
03-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Does he mention the worst 5 places to play? Who is the new Siberia? I'm thinking Minnesota......lol

red
03-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Does he mention the worst 5 places to play? Who is the new Siberia? I'm thinking Minnesota......lol

no he just gave those 5, i wished he gave more too

i'd say detroit and oakland have to be two of the worse places, just because the franchises have no clue whats going on

Rastak
03-01-2007, 07:05 PM

If they said that they'd be wrong right? The general concensus is that they are always wrong.....

god this place sometimes cracks me up.....

retailguy
03-01-2007, 07:56 PM

If they said that they'd be wrong right? The general concensus is that they are always wrong.....

give it up, they're only wrong when the masses disagree with them! (Just ask them a Sherman question, it's all a confirmed FACT) Don't you know how it works around here?

LOL... Leave it to Rastak... I've been wondering this for about a year. :wink: :D

red
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM

do you ever here how the players feel about playing over there ras?

personally, i hate watching any game in a dome or texas stadium, just something about it doesn't make it seem quite right to me.

sure its nice to play without the bad weather, but do they like the field, the roof, the locker rooms.

do you hear anything about that? i know its a older place

i honestly don't think minnie would be anywhere near the bottom of the list, they got good fans, and its a nice area. my only knock would be if the players had a problem playing in a garbage bag

MJZiggy
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
They're not ALL wrong. Just most of them. :P

motife
03-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Here's another vote for Brown County :

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=571947

Sentence starts: Wide receiver Koren Robinson was scheduled to report for a 90-day jail sentence Wednesday.

Robinson was given the term after violating probation related to a drunken driving conviction in 2005 in Kirkland, Wash. Robinson also will be serving a sentence for leading police on a high-speed chase on his way back to Minnesota Vikings training camp last summer.

Robinson had petitioned to serve the term in Green Bay.

MJZiggy
03-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I'd be petitioning to serve that term in Honolulu, but that's just me.

red
03-01-2007, 08:15 PM

no way, that would be like torture. i'd want to do it in the noth in the middle of winter. then i wouldn't feel bad about being locked up, because i wouldn't want to go outside in this white cold crap anyways

Rastak
03-01-2007, 08:31 PM

do you ever here how the players feel about playing over there ras?

personally, i hate watching any game in a dome or texas stadium, just something about it doesn't make it seem quite right to me.

sure its nice to play without the bad weather, but do they like the field, the roof, the locker rooms.

do you hear anything about that? i know its a older place

i honestly don't think minnie would be anywhere near the bottom of the list, they got good fans, and its a nice area. my only knock would be if the players had a problem playing in a garbage bag

I think GREEN is the main thing Red......warm while playing is just an added bonus.....

Partial
03-01-2007, 08:37 PM

lol, good call! same here!!

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Green is the main thing, but different things are more important to different players. Guys like Bryce Paup, Brett Favre, Aaron Kampman, Corey Williams, Ahman Green, A.J. Hawk like the small town atmosphere. Many are outdoorsman. Others want the bright lights of the big city. Green Bay also appeals to the guys that are all about football. The Packers mean everything, and the fans are knowledgeable. It's a place players can focus on football.

swede
03-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Longwell went to MN and immediately bitched that Applebees was the finest restaurant that GB had to offer.

And he doesn't even have an entourage.

I'll bet the small town atmosphere is a big hurdle for signing a rather high percentage of FAs.

However, the fact that Green Bay has a history of being a classy organization with great fans must be an enormous help.

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 08:36 AM

I'm thinking Detroit is plenty dark, and Arizona isn't really all that hot.

MJZiggy
03-02-2007, 09:43 AM

You're forgetting Oakland...

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 09:53 AM

You're forgetting Oakland...

Ever check out their fan forums MJ?

It's like a great science fiction read. :) SCARY !!

Guiness
03-02-2007, 10:31 AM

shutup squirrel brain :lol: :lol: :lol:

5 wrost - I don't think Minni cracks the list. In no particular order:

I'll agree with others:
Oakland
Detroit

I'll add:
Chicago (absolutely no explanation needed)

Arizona (lifetime futility award, no fan interest outside the wow factor of the new stadium)

Baltimore & Cinnci (surrounded by refugees from Federal 'pound me in the ass' Prison)

Honourable mention
Cleveland, Washington and Tampa, just cause they're all losing so much right now. The first two don't look like they're doing anything right to help that.

MadtownPacker
03-02-2007, 11:17 AM
I will say this, the raiders suck and I hate their fans but they are some of the most loyal, fanatic bastards you will ever meet. They wear their gear year around like Packer backers and win or lose, smile or cry they dont jump ship.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I will say this, the raiders suck and I hate their fans but they are some of the most loyal, fanatic bastards you will ever meet. The wear their gear year around like Packer backers and win or lose, smile or cry the dont jump ship.

Love that sig MTP!

MadtownPacker
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks man, I made it up last night. My way of petitioning for Moss!

Scott Campbell
03-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Longwell went to MN and immediately bitched that Applebees was the finest restaurant that GB had to offer.

The only reason Longwell doesn't like Applebees is because his server held the plate wrong.

MadtownPacker
03-02-2007, 11:51 AM
The only reason Longwell doesn't like Applebees is because his server held the plate wrong.HAHAHAHA!!! Hardcore ZINGGGG!!!

MJZiggy
03-02-2007, 11:57 AM
I will say this, the raiders suck and I hate their fans but they are some of the most loyal, fanatic bastards you will ever meet. They wear their gear year around like Packer backers and win or lose, smile or cry they dont jump ship.

I wasn't referring to their fans, more the lunatic owner they have to deal with...