drools...............

they just said it on espn nfl live

kind of a shocking move. he said they'll also cut their fullback

red
03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
espnnews says he has been cut now

Partial
03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Wow, he is one of the best pass-rushers and most intense guys in the league. Bring him in!!!

red
03-01-2007, 03:15 PM
from PFT

POSTED 4:12 p.m. EST, March 1, 2007

STEELERS CHOP PORTER

The Pittsburgh Steelers have released veteran linebacker Joey Porter.

Porter spent much of 2006 griping about his contract, which in his view didn't pay him fairly. Now, Porter will be able to reel in whatever payday the market might bear.

Drafted by the Steelers in 1999, Porter spent eight years in Pittsburgh. He was scheduled to earn $4 million in base salary in 2007.

The Steelers also have released running back Verron Haynes.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Joe Horn was released also. I think I'd rather have him than Moulds. I guess bringing anybody at low cost wouldn't hurt.

MJZiggy
03-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Why do we think these guys are gonna be low cost?

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 04:02 PM
They are old. Both are in or approaching their mid-30s.

red
03-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Why do we think these guys are gonna be low cost?

i don't think they will

theres way too much free cap room out there right now

someone will pay these guys big

MJZiggy
03-01-2007, 04:09 PM
I agree. I have a feeling that teams are feeling like they have a whole lot of money to throw around. I sense some major bidding wars coming up.

red
03-01-2007, 04:10 PM

horn is 35 (old)

but porters is only about to turn 30 in 3 weeks

it makes you think. barnett wants top dollar, but is not a top LB. and porter is a top lb

barnet is a lot younger, but porter has that "it" factor, and brings a certain meanness that this team lacks.

i'd probably have to go with porter, if i had a choice

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 04:10 PM
I bet neither gets a big contract. It may look big, but it will be backloaded, and they'll be long gone by the time the deal ends. Horn might get more. Moulds was fading in Buffalo, and he had a poor year last year with Houston. Horn is still good when healthy, but he's 35-years-old and has missed several games the last two years. Moulds will be 34-years-old by the start of the season, and he's average 10.1 and 9.8 yards/catch the last two years.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 04:11 PM

horn is 35 (old)

but porters is only about to turn 30 in 3 weeks

it makes you think. barnett wants top dollar, but is not a top LB. and porter is a top lb

barnet is a lot younger, but porter has that "it" factor, and brings a certain meanness that this team lacks.

i'd probably have to go with porter, if i had a choice

I wasn't talking about Porter. I was talking about Moulds. Porter will get nice money--although he's not a top LB anymore. Well, at least he wasn't this year. The Steelers were very disappointed in his play.

RashanGary
03-01-2007, 04:13 PM
He's probably one of those guys gettign pepped up on HGH from that doc and now that they know he's going to be off the stuff they figure get rid of him becuase he'll drop off.

red
03-01-2007, 04:17 PM
He's probably one of those guys gettign pepped up on HGH from that doc and now that they know he's going to be off the stuff they figure get rid of him becuase he'll drop off.

you could very well be right

everyone coming out of pittsburg is pretty toxin right now i would think

update

SMOOT HAS BEEN CUT

and i want no part of him

would porter be better then pop?

RashanGary
03-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Ahman Green is probably the first guy we get. I think the TE from SF is the next most obvious pick up for us. After that, Hamlin would be next. Jamal Lewis would be another.

Those are the good players that we could use that might come reasonably enough priced to be worth the deal.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I don't see Jamal fitting a one-cut system.

RashanGary
03-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't see Jamal fitting a one-cut system.

He can't cut more than once. He's more of an up and down type of guy I guess but I think he has one cut in him.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 09:24 PM
He can't cut more than once. He's more of an up and down type of guy I guess but I think he has one cut in him.

Have you seen him? He doesn't cut at all. He has happy feet. Like Jerome Bettis at the end of his career. Big dude, feet bouncing all over the place, looking for somebody to run into. He's not about hitting the hole quickly. I think he's the anti-thesis of a one-cut RB. Sort of like Najeh.