PDA

View Full Version : Smoot gone in Minnesota

falco
03-01-2007, 04:09 PM
FROM PFT

SMOOT DONE IN MINNY

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Vikings will be cutting cornerback Fred Smoot.

Smoot was the crown jewel of the team's free-agent class in 2005. But his role in the Love Boat fiasco fueled his demise in Minny, and his inability to convert successfully Tampa Two defense caused him to slip behind Cedric Griffin, a third-round pick in 2006.

Because Smoot received a large roster bonus when he was signed, there will be no cap hit. He was scheduled to earn a base salary of $2.7 million in 2007.

he would be such an awesome nickel CB, we should totally sign him now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Smoot is overrated. I wouldn't like him as a starter--although I agree he could make a nice nickelback. The problem with him is that I don't think his ego would allow him to sign with a team as a backup--although he might not have a choice.

Rastak
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Smoot is overrated. I wouldn't like him as a starter--although I agree he could make a nice nickelback. The problem with him is that I don't think his ego would allow him to sign with a team as a backup--although he might not have a choice.

100% correct Harv.....

gbpackfan
03-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Smoot will not sign in Green Bay because he knows he will not be a starter. A couple months ago Smoot declared himself a starter and will not be happy unless he starts.

falco
03-01-2007, 04:17 PM
my point was meant to be dripping with sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear enough. i was poking fun at the people here who think every big name player on the market need to be joining the packers.

digitaldean
03-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Fred probably will hang probably hang up the cleats and open up his boat charter service on Lake Minnetonka. :wink:

superfan
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM

100% correct Harv.....

Absolutely. He's considered himself a top 5 shutdown corner since he entered the league, and he is alone in that opinion. I thought he was overrated even before the Vikings signed him.

Ras, might be time to bring back the Cap'n avatar. At least for a day or two as a memorial. :D