PDA

View Full Version : Is Ahman Green worth 23 million over 3 years??!!

gbpackfan
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Fred Taylor just signed a three year extension worth 23 million dollars. His numbers the last three years were:

2004 - 1224 yards in 14 games with 2 TDs
2005 - 787 yards in 11 games with 3 TDs
2006 - 1146 yards in 15 games with 5 TDs

Now compare Taylor's numbers with Green's:

2004 - 1163 yards in 15 games with 7 TDs
2005 - 255 yards in 5 games with 0 TDs
2006 - 1059 yards in 14 games with 5 TDs

Hmmm. It's pretty close. Even if Green doesn't get 23 million over 3, he certainly looks like he is line for 15 million over 3. Oh yeah, Green is a year younger then Taylor. These guys are getting crazy money for average production.

red
03-01-2007, 04:21 PM
no, sadly no, green is not worth that much money anymore. and taylor isn't either

if thats what green is looking for, then i think we've seen the last of him

and we have big problems

BF4MVP
03-01-2007, 04:23 PM
23 mil for 3 years?! GOD NO..

falco
03-01-2007, 04:26 PM
its my understanding Taylor's contract is set to be a year-to-year kind of deal.

A league source tells us that the Jaguars have extended the contract of running back Fred Taylor. His current contract was set to expire after the 2007 season.

Under the new deal, Taylor's $2.55 million salary and $40,000 per-game roster bonus are replaced by a $4.2 million roster bonus and a salary of $800,000.

In 2008, Taylor is due to receive a $1 million roster bonus and a salary of $4 million. In 2009, Taylor is scheduled to receive a roster bonus of $1 million and a salary of $5 million. In 2010, he is set to get another $1 million roster bonus and a salary of $6 million.

gbpackfan
03-01-2007, 04:26 PM
I don't think Green is worth 23 million either. That being said, I think it is a damn good comparision and if someone is willing to pay Taylor that much, someone is going to pay Green!

Rastak
03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't think Green is worth 23 million either. That being said, I think it is a damn good comparision and if someone is willing to pay Taylor that much, someone is going to pay Green!

Exactly.....what a guy is worth is strictly based on how mach cap room you have versus need....period.

That's my view.

red
03-01-2007, 04:29 PM
ok, PFT has the break down. and even though it was a 3 year extension. he's really getting 23 million over 4 years

so its really a 4 year 23 million dollar deal, which is a lot better

and its really cool how its set up

taylor gets a 4.2 million dollar roster bonus this year plus a 800,000 salary. then every year he has a 1 million dollar roster bonus plus his salary. in 2008 its 4,000,000 and the salary goes up 1 million every year plus the million dollar roster bonus.

there is no signing bonus

so if he turns to crap next year, they just cut him and take no cap him

RashanGary
03-01-2007, 04:32 PM
That's pretty close to Greens worht. It's essentially a year to year deal at about 4 per year in the beginning.

Green should get about 3.5 per year on a deal that he can be cut at any time as well.

Partial
03-01-2007, 04:42 PM
its my understanding Taylor's contract is set to be a year-to-year kind of deal.

A league source tells us that the Jaguars have extended the contract of running back Fred Taylor. His current contract was set to expire after the 2007 season.

Under the new deal, Taylor's $2.55 million salary and $40,000 per-game roster bonus are replaced by a $4.2 million roster bonus and a salary of $800,000.

In 2008, Taylor is due to receive a $1 million roster bonus and a salary of $4 million. In 2009, Taylor is scheduled to receive a roster bonus of $1 million and a salary of $5 million. In 2010, he is set to get another $1 million roster bonus and a salary of $6 million.

Yep, my guess its a one or two year deal with a huge backloaded roster bonus or something to that general effect.

woodbuck27
03-01-2007, 04:59 PM
This isn't good news for those of us that want Ahman to stay in Green Bay.

MJZiggy
03-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Actually, Buck, it might be. Now they have a contract for a fairly similar player to compare to and work off of. Could speed things up considerably.

Freak Out
03-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Will Taylor ever get 23 million from the Jags? Doubtful.

HarveyWallbangers
03-01-2007, 05:29 PM
To me, it looks more like 1y/$5M or 2y/$10M--because there is no way he'll last until those final year or two. The Jags will be able to cut him without affecting their cap. I say offer Ahman a similar deal.

motife
03-01-2007, 05:57 PM
it's reported to be a 4 year not a 3 year deal :

2007 : 5.0m
2008 : 5.0m
2009 : 6.0m
2010 : 7.0m

4 years, $23 million is $5.6 million per year.

averaging 5 million the first 2 years,
6.5 million the last 2 years.

gbpackfan
03-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, it still sounds like Green is in line for 5 mill. a year. The Packers, according to the MJS, don't want to pay him that much. At this point, it would surprise me if Green was a Packer next year.

imscott72
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, it still sounds like Green is in line for 5 mill. a year. The Packers, according to the MJS, don't want to pay him that much. At this point, it would surprise me if Green was a Packer next year.

They'll get it done. The Packers would be in a real jam if Ahman left. I also think a front loaded deal would be a good fit. Hopefully come tomorrow morning, Green is re-signed.

Partial
03-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I think you guys underrate Morency but yes, I think they'll get it done.

Joemailman
03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Although I don't have the numbers in front of me, I believe the 10th highest paid RB last year made about 4.5 million. It would not be out of line for Ahman to get between 5-6 million, given that salaries are going up with the increased salary cap. The only way TT shouldn't offer that kind of money is if he feels Ahman is not good enough to be the Packers #1 running back.

falco
03-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, AG will be a free agent in 8 minutes...

red
03-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Well, AG will be a free agent in 8 minutes...

i'm still waiting for a last minute deal

otherwise i think its bye-bye ahman

MJZiggy
03-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Man is it gonna be hard sitting around waiting for something to happen on this.

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 07:47 AM

be sure to find a comfortable chair ...lol

swede
03-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Who do you think Ahman will visit first?

My guess is Minnesota.

red
03-02-2007, 08:04 AM

My guess is Minnesota.

i think i've seen where the jets are willing to throw a ton of money at him

so i say jets, but i could see the queens getting him, and vastly overpaying for him

just to piss us off

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 08:10 AM

I came to the Forum the past two days just to read that TT has signed Ahman Green and of course he hasn't.

Am I impressed?

Rastak
03-02-2007, 08:12 AM

My guess is Minnesota.

so i say jets, but i could see the queens getting him, and vastly overpaying for him

just to piss us off

I'm pretty sure the NFL didn't put the Vikings in the league just to piss off the Packers. :lol:

It's pretty unlikely Minnesota has any interest in Green.

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 08:17 AM

My guess is Minnesota.

just to piss us off

I'm pretty sure the NFL didn't put the Vikings in the league just to piss off the Packers. :lol:

It's pretty unlikely Minnesota has any interest in Green.

Sorry but, I'd hate to see him on your side. :)

MadtownPacker
03-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Well they sure didnt put them in the league to win Super Bowls either. :P

Rastak
03-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Well they sure didnt put them in the league to win Super Bowls either. :P

I love the new Viking sig Mad.....

MadtownPacker
03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
I had to put Moss in purple because that is when he said that quote.

Even then he knew his team sucked.

wist43
03-02-2007, 08:44 AM
- Green is still a hell of a back.

- TT has plenty of cap space.

- There really aren't any other FA's out there he has to get into a bidding war for.

- 4 mil/yr isn't unreasonable... 2 yrs, plus an incentive 3rd year???

However you structure it, signing Green isn't going to strain the cap; but, losing his production out of the backfield could be fatal for the offense.

Everything points toward paying the guy... Just when you think TT has his act together???

red
03-02-2007, 08:49 AM
hmmm, i agree with wist on something

i feel very dirty all of a sudden

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 08:51 AM
- Green is still a hell of a back.

- TT has plenty of cap space.

- There really aren't any other FA's out there he has to get into a bidding war for.

- 4 mil/yr isn't unreasonable... 2 yrs, plus an incentive 3rd year???

However you structure it, signing Green isn't going to strain the cap; but, losing his production out of the backfield could be fatal for the offense.

Everything points toward paying the guy... Just when you think TT has his act together???

You can't change the stripes on a tiger (pussy).

retailguy
03-02-2007, 09:02 AM

It took SIX years for Ted & Holmgren to field a good competitive team in Seattle.

By then, Ahman Green won't matter, so why should he matter now?

Better get comfortable, you are NOT on the bullet train, you is on the Stagecoach....

red
03-02-2007, 09:04 AM
he's still better then sherman. even if he does suck and runs this team into the ground

MadtownPacker
03-02-2007, 09:13 AM
It took SIX years for Ted & Holmgren to field a good competitive team in Seattle.Yup and then SEA got to the SB.

I took Sherm 6 years to deplete the Packers.

wist43
03-02-2007, 09:13 AM

Welcome to the dark side, Red...

red
03-02-2007, 09:20 AM

Welcome to the dark side, Red...

when do i get my red light saber?

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 12:58 PM

It took SIX years for Ted & Holmgren to field a good competitive team in Seattle.

Better get comfortable, you are NOT on the bullet train, you is on the Stagecoach....

Six years to field a competitive team? What are you talking about? He joined Seattle in 2000. They were coming off a 6-10 season. They went 9-7 in 2001, and then made the playoffs in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006. It took him five years to field a Super Bowl caliber team. I'd say they were competitive long before 2005.

Partial
03-02-2007, 01:11 PM

Six years to field a competitive team? What are you talking about? He joined Seattle in 2000. They were coming off a 6-10 season. They went 9-7 in 2001, and then made the playoffs in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006. It took him five years to field a Super Bowl caliber team. I'd say they were competitive long before 2005.

Thats exactly right!

retailguy
03-02-2007, 01:25 PM

Oh for heaven's sake. Harvey this is BULLSHIT. Holmgren started in Seattle in 1998. Yes, Thompson joined later, but doesn't alter the point. 2001 they "lucked" into the playoffs with Kitna at QB, who was RELEASED after the playoff blowout. 2003 & 2004, when they beat up on poor teams did not make this team competitive. I saw three home games each year and those teams WERE A JOKE. Playing in the NFC West, against SF & AZ doesn't make them any more competitive than Green Bay in the North.

2004 might have been competitive, HOWEVER, the playoff loss to the RAMS was a joke. I was at that game, and LEFT at the beginning of the 4th quarter.

Keep writing your "revisionist" history.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Holmgren started in Seattle in 1998. Yes, Thompson joined later, but doesn't alter the point.

This makes NO sense.

retailguy
03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Holmgren started in Seattle in 1998. Yes, Thompson joined later, but doesn't alter the point.

This makes NO sense.

Ok, let me walk you through this VERY slowly. The "philosophy" of building through the draft kept Seattle from being TRULY competitive for multiple seasons. If you look closely at the team, the defense could have benefitted from a COUPLE of players that they did not pursue. The 2004 team had serious defensive problems because the guys they had DID NOT keep the team competitive.

My point was that the PHILOSOPHY slowed the development of the team. I don't give a SHIT who was making the decisions, they DIDN'T WORK. Clear?

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
What about New England and Pittsburgh. They had similar philosophies. Pittsburgh rarely signs big name FAs, and often let's their big name FAs walk. New England didn't build through FA. They got a couple of guys in trades, but Brady, Branch, Givens, Light, Wilfork, Seymour, Samuel, Bruschi, Vinatieri, McGinest, etc. were all guys they drafted.

retailguy
03-02-2007, 01:58 PM
What about New England and Pittsburgh. They had similar philosophies. Pittsburgh rarely signs big name FAs, and often let's their big name FAs walk. New England didn't build through FA. They got a couple of guys in trades, but Brady, Branch, Givens, Light, Wilfork, Seymour, Samuel, Bruschi, Vinatieri, McGinest, etc. were all guys they drafted.

Harvey, it remains to be seen that some holes won't be filled. HOWEVER, considering his history, it is UNLIKELY. I would hate to see this team begin the season with a "few" holes. Some "lower tier' free agents probably works on offense, PROVIDED they pan out. I still have vivid memories of some turnstile guards who didn't work out as planned. Gambling with Ahman Green is just STUPID. There is no other word for it. Not that much money at risk here. If not Green, then get someone in here. Why no interest there?

I remain unconvinced that the defense is up the task. I do think a "name" free agent would help. Thomas, perhaps, however, his price tag is ridiculously high. We need an experienced safety desperately, and I don't understand the lack of interest in Hamlin either. It makes little sense, and just confirms for me that we're in this REBUILDING for several more years.

red
03-02-2007, 02:11 PM
What about New England and Pittsburgh. They had similar philosophies. Pittsburgh rarely signs big name FAs, and often let's their big name FAs walk. New England didn't build through FA. They got a couple of guys in trades, but Brady, Branch, Givens, Light, Wilfork, Seymour, Samuel, Bruschi, Vinatieri, McGinest, etc. were all guys they drafted.new england is a myth

they got a lot of players through free agency

i've done threads on it before. and the nfl did a run down the other day of guys they brought in to help them start their little dynasty. they muct have rattled of 12 names of guys the signed that either became starters or played a large part in their rise

they drafted a lot of good talent. but went they needed to, they went out and got guys. they didn't shun it and see it as something evil like TT does

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Who did New England get in FA?.

Look at some of their key players in the Super Bowl years:

QB Brady - drafted
WR Branch - drafted
WR Givens - drafted
WR Brown - drafted
TE Graham - drafted
TE Watson - drafted
OT Light - drafted
OC Koppen - drafted
OC Woody - drafted
OG Neal - rookie FA
DL Warren - drafted
DL Wilfork - drafted
DL Seymour - drafted
LB Vrabel - drafted
LB Johnson - drafted
LB Bruschi - drafted
CB Samuel - drafted
CB Law - drafted
S Jones - drafted
S Milloy - drafted
K Vinatieri - drafted

There were no more than a handful of FAs on any of those teams. And many were sort of bit parts or FAs that were not big names--like Antowain Smith, Roman Phifer (at his age), Ross Hochstein (street FA), and Joe Andruzzi. Harrison and Colvin are two of the few big name FAs that the Patriots had. The guys that stuck around for multiple Super Bowls (the core players) were mostly drafted. Green Bay had as many FAs as New England had most of those years.

esoxx
03-02-2007, 04:32 PM
No, the New England "myth" is that they win despite having no talent. It's just b/c Belichick is a genius and outschemes the other teams.

Except this past year when they chocked away a 21-3 lead to the Colts in the AFC Championship game. He must have forgot to be a genius that day.

red
03-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Who did New England get in FA?.

Look at some of their key players in the Super Bowl years:

QB Brady - drafted
WR Branch - drafted
WR Givens - drafted
WR Brown - drafted
TE Graham - drafted
TE Watson - drafted
OT Light - drafted
OC Koppen - drafted
OC Woody - drafted
OG Neal - rookie FA
DL Warren - drafted
DL Wilfork - drafted
DL Seymour - drafted
LB Vrabel - drafted
LB Johnson - drafted
LB Bruschi - drafted
CB Samuel - drafted
CB Law - drafted
S Jones - drafted
S Milloy - drafted
K Vinatieri - drafted

There were no more than a handful of FAs on any of those teams. And many were sort of bit parts or FAs that were not big names--like Antowain Smith, Roman Phifer (at his age), Ross Hochstein (street FA), and Joe Andruzzi. Harrison and Colvin are two of the few big name FAs that the Patriots had. The guys that stuck around for multiple Super Bowls (the core players) were mostly drafted. Green Bay had as many FAs as New England had most of those years.

they didn't draft vrabel, he was a FA from the steelers

Mike Compton was a big free agent pickup for them

bryan cox was a part of the 2001 team and co-d captain

antowain smith was more then just a bit player, he was brought in and was the starter for a few years

more then half their team in 2001 were brought in through FA (i'm sure some of that number is undrafted FA like AV

in 2002 more then half that team was made up of former FA

here instead of me taking all day to type this out just go here

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=2002Roster

sure, they drafted a lot of good talent, but they also signed quite a few FA's to help them get to that elite level

GrnBay007
03-02-2007, 05:12 PM
No, the New England "myth" is that they win despite having no talent. It's just b/c Belichick is a genius and outschemes the other teams.

Except this past year when they chocked away a 21-3 lead to the Colts in the AFC Championship game. He must have forgot to be a genius that day.

He was thinking about his expensive girlfriend that day! :P :wink:

Scott Campbell
03-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Girlfriends aren't nearly as expensive as wives.

GrnBay007
03-02-2007, 05:38 PM

Girlfriends aren't nearly as expensive as wives.

LOL ....poor Scott! :P

imscott72
03-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Harvey, it remains to be seen that some holes won't be filled. HOWEVER, considering his history, it is UNLIKELY. I would hate to see this team begin the season with a "few" holes. Some "lower tier' free agents probably works on offense, PROVIDED they pan out. I still have vivid memories of some turnstile guards who didn't work out as planned. Gambling with Ahman Green is just STUPID. There is no other word for it. Not that much money at risk here. If not Green, then get someone in here. Why no interest there?

I remain unconvinced that the defense is up the task. I do think a "name" free agent would help. Thomas, perhaps, however, his price tag is ridiculously high. We need an experienced safety desperately, and I don't understand the lack of interest in Hamlin either. It makes little sense, and just confirms for me that we're in this REBUILDING for several more years.

Wow. it sure is a good thing some people in here aren't GM's. My goodness, FA just started less than a day ago and we have some people hypervenalating already...Give the guy a few days or even a week to do something? :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 06:08 PM
That 2001 New England team's best players were guys they drafted. More than half of their starters were guys they drafted, and they were their best players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXVI

True. They did fill them in the roster with FAs. More than I thought, so I'll give you that much. However few were name FAs that you guys are clamoring for. Otis Smith was 35-years-old and nobody wanted him. Roman Phifer was 33-years-old and he wasn't coveted. David Patten had 71 career receptions in 4 years with Cleveland and the Giants. He wasn't coveted. Anthony Pleasant was 33-years-old and on his 6th NFL team. Andruzzi was considered nothing more than average in Green Bay. Mike Vrabel had no more than 18 tackles and 2.5 sacks in any of his 4 years in Pittsburgh. He didn't become a name until he went to New England. I'll give you Antowain Smith and Mike Compton--although those guys weren't even that high profile. Smith had less than 1000 yards rushing combined his two years prior in Buffalo, and wasn't that highly coveted. Compton was a decent starter for Detroit. He might be the most high profile, and he wasn't that highly touted. Belichek did his best coaching job that year. Most of their FAs would bring yawns in this forum if Green Bay signed those types of guys now. Most of the FAs weren't even on the team in 2004. Meanwhile, their best players (Brady, Brown, Light, Woody, Seymour, Bruschi, Milloy, Jones, Law, Bruschi, Vinatieri) were guys they drafted.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 06:13 PM
What about their 2004 Super Bowl team?

17 of their 22 starters were drafted by them or were signed as rookie or street FAs. One was traded for. Three were no name or non-high profile FAs. Rodney Harrison was the only high profile FA on that team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXIX

David Givens - drafted
Matt Light - drafted
Joe Andruzzi - no name FA
Dan Koppen - drafted
Steve Neal - rookie FA
Brandon Gorin - street FA
Daniel Graham - drafted
Deion Branch - drafted
Tom Brady - drafted
Corey Dillon - trade
Patrick Pass - rookie FA

Richard Seymour - drafted
Vince Wilfork - drafted
Ty Warren - drafted
Willie McGinest - drafted
Tedy Bruschi - drafted
Roman Phifer - no name FA
Mike Vrabel - no name FA
Randall Gay - drafted
Asante Samuel - drafted
Rodney Harrison - FA
Eugene Wilson - drafted

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 06:19 PM
How does that compare to the 2006 Packers roster

QB Brett Favre - trade
RB Ahman Green - trade
FB Brandon Miree - street FA
WR Donald Driver - draft
WR Greg Jennings - draft
LT Chad Clifton - draft
LG Daryn Colledge - draft
C Scott Wells - draft
RG Jason Spitz - draft
RT Mark Tauscher - draft
TE Bubba Franks - draft

LE Aaron Kampman - draft
DT Ryan Pickett - FA
DT Corey Williams - draft
RE Cullen Jenkins - street FA
LB Brady Poppinga - draft
LB Nick Barnett - draft
LB A.J. Hawk - draft
CB Al Harris - trade
CB Charles Woodson - FA
S Nick Collins - draft
S Marquand Manuel - FA

16 draft picks or street FAs, 3 guys traded for, and 3 FAs. Not a whole lot different. Hopefully, Manuel will and Bubba will be replaced by FAs or draft picks. Maybe Ted signs a Ken Hamlin or Eric Johnson. I'll let it play out. I'm a little discouraged that he doesn't seem to be that busy, but I think his moves (except for Manuel) paid off pretty well last year. I'll wait for a few weeks before judging how he's done in this FA period.

chain_gang
03-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Now that's thing about Free Agency, 1 big signing if need be, is nice, but too many anything over 2 seems to disrupt the camaraderie of the team, and I feel that is why NE was so successful over the years, they built mainly through the draft resigned their own players, that they deemed irreplaceable. And made smart veteran FA acquisitions, with few Superstar signings. That's why teams like the Vikes, Skins, Cowboys haven't been in superbowls lately. Too many Me-first FA signings, The key seems to be to draft your own impact players, and bring in role players, and leadership vets via FA and Trades.

imscott72
03-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Now that's thing about Free Agency, 1 big signing if need be, is nice, but too many anything over 2 seems to disrupt the camaraderie of the team, and I feel that is why NE was so successful over the years, they built mainly through the draft resigned their own players, that they deemed irreplaceable. And made smart veteran FA acquisitions, with few Superstar signings. That's why teams like the Vikes, Skins, Cowboys haven't been in superbowls lately. Too many Me-first FA signings, The key seems to be to draft your own impact players, and bring in role players, and leadership vets via FA and Trades.

Now someone is startin to get it... :D

red
03-02-2007, 08:12 PM
i don't like the green thing

i don't like the way it was handled at all. and i think it sends a bad message

either TT lowballed him and he goes out and finds he can get a lot more. or TT told him to go find out what he is worth and we'll match it.

either way it puts us in a very bad spot. and nick barnett is sitting at home right now watching the free agent frenzy going on right now, and thinking to himself, next year i get to do that, and the cap will be a lot higher

he could now decide not to redo his deal, and wait it out ill next year.

then we're screwed

we would have lost our very good vet rb, and our pretty good vet MLB. and since TT does not want anything to do with free agency, we'll be left with nothing to replace them, but draft picks

then would we be better off, or worse then we were last year?

i would think worse. meaning we wouldn't be going in the right direction

this is what happens when you won't resign your top guys when you are suppose to. we could have taken care of barnett and green during the year. but now we will either have to shell out a lot more money for those two, or lose them

the green deal could be TT's 4th and 26 moment

GrnBay007
03-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Ahman Green is just 45 yards short of an all time Packer record.

C'mon TT PAY the Packer faithful that have put their butt on the line for several years and have shown nothing but commitment to the team!! Green needs to retire as a Packer!!

Pay good players that deserve it!!

http://www.packerpalace.com/palace07/bahtman2X.gif

Patler
03-04-2007, 03:23 AM
i don't like the green thing

i don't like the way it was handled at all. and i think it sends a bad message

either TT lowballed him and he goes out and finds he can get a lot more. or TT told him to go find out what he is worth and we'll match it.

I think you missed an obvious alternative. GB is offering a very fair contract, and Green has an unreasonable expectation of his value. He may simply go out and discover the Packers were right all along.

The problem is, it will be assumed by most fans the GB was lowballing him and "came up" to sign him, when in fact Green may be the one who changes if a deal is done.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 04:02 AM
I suspect the answer is in between.

On one hand, it sounds like Green relishes the opportunity to shop himself on the open market ... to get wined-and-dined the way unrestricted free-agents do. Green hasn't been able to do this before now, and it might be this experience he is seeking as much as it is the higher pay. Thus, he may not want to agree to a deal too quickly, however fair it is.

On the other hand, the Packer's offer might be fair at yesterday's prices, and the sides could be apart until they see what the market looks like today. Deals so far indicate that the $5 million avg. Green is seeking is not out of line in this market. We have seen Fred Taylor, who is a year older than Green and very injury prone, sign an extension for $5.75 million per year with $4.2 million guaranteed up front. More incredibly, a no-name blocking fullback just got a $3 million-per-year deal, including a $5 million signing bonus. Green has to think he can do better than $3 or $4 million average.