View Full Version : OFFICIAL- AHMAN GREEN A FREE AGENT

Bretsky
03-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Out in the open
Green a free agent after he can't reach deal with Packers
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: March 1, 2007

The clock struck midnight Thursday night without the Green Bay Packers announcing a contract agreement with running back Ahman Green, making the club's second all-time leading rusher an unrestricted free agent.

Even though Ahman Green envisions returning to the Packers next season, he will test the free-agent waters to determine his value.

But it by no means ruled out Green's return.

By this morning, the Packers will have either negotiated a new deal with Green or they will be officially competing against the rest of the National Football League for his services. Even if it is the latter, the Packers have as good a chance as anybody of signing Green.

As of late Thursday night, representatives for Green did not report a meeting of the minds with the Packers on a deal and had the option of shopping their client around. Free agency in the NFL began at 11 p.m. Thursday (midnight Eastern time) and many pre-arranged deals were expected to become official.

Green, however, wants to remain in Green Bay and might wind up using free agency to prove to the Packers that he's worth more than they think. In a best-case scenario for him, Green gets several teams bidding for his services and forces Green Bay to meet his price tag.

But at 30 years old and a year and a half removed from a torn thigh tendon, it remains questionable whether Green has that much value on the market. Running backs who are younger and probably more attractive to free-agent buyers include Baltimore's Jamal Lewis and Indianapolis' Dominic Rhodes.

Coming off a year in which he made $2.75 million, $750,000 of which came via incentives, Green is seeking the security of a long-term deal worth upwards of $5 million a year. The Packers don't seem inclined to pay him that much even though they have unproven Vernand Morency and Noah Herron as alternatives. The draft is not particularly strong at running back and the Packers can't assume they'll be able to get a starter there.

The club did submit a one-year, $435,000 qualifying offer to Herron, according to the running back's agent, meaning Herron will be on the roster this off-season. But last year he was used primarily as a third-down back and Morency as Green's relief on other downs.

The length of the deal might seem like a matter of contention between the two sides but if the numbers are right over the first two seasons, the Packers probably won't object to a long-term deal. After two years, the Packers would be able to evaluate the deal and see whether it was worth continuing on.

Green isn't the only free agent the Packers were trying to keep Thursday night.

Tight end David Martin looked to be headed for the free-agent market and possibly a big payday. The Packers want Martin back despite his injury-filled past, but hadn't come close to meeting his financial demands in the weeks leading up to free agency.

Teams all around the NFL are looking for pass-catching tight ends in the mold of Martin, and it appeared that New England's Daniel Graham was going to lead the way for the free agents with a big-money deal in the early hours of free agency.

Martin, who turns 28 on March 13, would probably be able to draft off Graham's big contract and reap a fairly lucrative deal even though he has missed 16 games over the past three seasons.

His size and speed combination make him an attractive option for teams trying to stretch the field with their tight ends. For the Packers, he could be their starter next season given the huge drop-off by starter Bubba Franks last season.

Of the Packers' five other unrestricted free agents, linebacker Ben Taylor and defensive tackle Kenderick Allen appear highest on the priority list.

Agent Bob Lattinville said he was told the club would like to re-sign Taylor.

Lattinville said Taylor would listen to offers from other teams but said Taylor's preference was to play for the Packers. Taylor played in only 10 games because of a hamstring injury suffered against Philadelphia in Week 4. He played mostly on special teams, ranking tied for third with 13 tackles.

The 6-foot-5, 328-pound Allen played in only two games last season before suffering a season-ending foot injury.

As for their exclusive free agents, the Packers submitted one-year, qualifying offers to all four players, each based on years of service.

Nose tackle Colin Cole's offer was for $595,000, receiver Carlyle Holiday's and Herron's were for $435,000 and tight end Tory Humphrey's was for $360,000.

Bretsky
03-01-2007, 11:32 PM
My view is 3.5-4MIL per year over three years would be a fair deal and MIGHT get it down.

Pondering thoughts tell me we are in trouble if we dont' get er done with Green.

If we're going to sit on cap money anyways it really does not matter if he makes 3.5MIL or 5MIL this year.

Green Bay should structure something similar to Fred Taylor that would assure us of having him in 2007 and give us the ability to cut him if we choose without huge penalty later.

Get er done TT....my favorite Turtle.

Cheers,
B

red
03-01-2007, 11:35 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

this sucks

i agree about 3.5 to 4 mil a year

the_idle_threat
03-01-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't even have a problem with 5 million per year if it's structured right. Dammit, TT, pay the man already.

red
03-02-2007, 12:10 AM
anyone think theres a chance we let green walk so we could trade our 3rd to the bills for wil-mac?

the_idle_threat
03-02-2007, 12:39 AM
I hope there's zero chance of that.

Something smells really bad about McGahee. The free agent market for RBs is pretty much a bare cupboard, and the Bills have no successor on the roster with his level of talent. With tens of millions in cap space, they aren't in a position where they can't afford to pay him, so money is not the issue. Why are they so willing to part with him?

Rastak
03-02-2007, 07:04 AM
I hope there's zero chance of that.

Something smells really bad about McGahee. The free agent market for RBs is pretty much a bare cupboard, and the Bills have no successor on the roster with his level of talent. With tens of millions in cap space, they aren't in a position where they can't afford to pay him, so money is not the issue. Why are they so willing to part with him?

I think he'll be an UFA next year and has said he'll walk so I think they want to get something for him now.......they could draft a RB this year as a replacement.

the_idle_threat
03-02-2007, 07:15 AM
McGahee's (apparent) mercenary attitude makes me appreciate Ahman Green's Packer loyalty all the more. Pay the man, TT!

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Ted Thompson can't very well sit back on his haunch's over a discrepency of say $1.5 Million when it comes to a player such as Green has been with us.

Yet, that's exactly what we are seeing.

Ahman Green deserves to get his last payday with the Packers. Our situation at RB is precarious, to say the least if Ahman Green goes elsewhere

There is a matter of pride and loyality at stake here as well.

I am disappointed that Ted Thompson has decided to play games here. Unless TT makes a quick move in another direction fast at RB, I fear we are in really deep trouble in 2007.

Talk talk talk.Ted Thompson wants to keep players that will have little impact on any real success ie TE's D. Lee and D. Martin and LBer B. Taylor. These players should be cut; money saved there used for a legitimate playmaker in Ahman Green.

It's really sad if we lose Ahman after all he's done to rehab last season and then to play as well as he did, given the condition of OUR OL.

Ted Thompson appears to be looking bad in this situation.I expect in his third season as OUR GM that Ted Thompson will have his table fully in order as we begin Free Agency.

Zool
03-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Ted Thompson can't very well sit back on his haunch's over a discrepency of say $1.5 Million when it comes to a player such as Green has been with us.

How lopsided has society become when this is considered a reasonable assessment of the situation?

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 08:15 AM

How lopsided has society become when this is considered a reasonable assessment of the situation?

Yup. This isn't merely a case of deal or no deal.

We are talking Ghman Green here. If he goes elsewhere and does well, that would crap all over Ted Thompson.

I just don't get it.

Zool
03-02-2007, 08:17 AM
No we're talking about 1.5 million dollars. Say that number again then look at your bank account.

I think I've grown tired of players whining about money. The whole FA market is getting to be as bad as baseball.

retailguy
03-02-2007, 08:17 AM
So, now WHO HERE thinks Thompson LEARNED ANYTHING from the Walker situation....

This is life on Ted's watch people. NO ONE is expendable. You do it Ted's way, OR, you hit the highway....

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 08:19 AM

This is life on Ted's watch people. NO ONE is expendable. You do it Ted's way, OR, you hit the highway....

Yes, it appears that way.

red
03-02-2007, 08:25 AM

lets not forget he's boring as hell

you're right he is stubborn, and its his way or no way. he won't pick up the phone for a week or two, because he has it in his mind he won't talk to any free agents right now.

what does it hurt to pick up the phone and find out whats going on? why not play the screw your rival game, where you bring in a guy the rival wants and up the price and interest in him so the rival ends up having to pay more?

wasn't it last year when a guy wanted to come in to talk, and TT would pick up the phone, was it witherspoon?

there are 2 te's that i can see that would be an improvemrnt for a position that needs a complete overhall. how are we not trying to talk to these guy? you don't have to sign them to a huge deal right there, just talk to them

do something

do what i said earlier and said last year. get a head start on the second tier guys while everyone else is fighting over the top guys

MacCool606
03-02-2007, 08:26 AM
It seems that everyone thinks that Green would sign a fair contract. How do we know that a fair contract wasn't offered? Maybe it's Green that's being unreasonable at this point, thinking that he can get more than anything Green Bay offers. It could be just a game for him to get the best offer then come back for us to match. Maybe the numbers are there but the up front money isn't.

(I'm not sure I even believe this - but it could be the case.)

MadtownPacker
03-02-2007, 08:28 AM
This is life on Ted's watch people. NO ONE is expendable. You do it Ted's way, OR, you hit the highway....Funny, thats what all of Sherman ex-assistants said about him.

red
03-02-2007, 08:28 AM

shouldn't it be, everyone is expendable?

meaning he'll get rid of anyone at anytime is he doesn't like the price?

maybe, you ment no one is exempt?

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 08:42 AM

lets not forget he's boring as hell

you're right he is stubborn, and its his way or no way. he won't pick up the phone for a week or two, because he has it in his mind he won't talk to any free agents right now.

what does it hurt to pick up the phone and find out whats going on? why not play the screw your rival game, where you bring in a guy the rival wants and up the price and interest in him so the rival ends up having to pay more?

wasn't it last year when a guy wanted to come in to talk, and TT would pick up the phone, was it witherspoon?

there are 2 te's that i can see that would be an improvemrnt for a position that needs a complete overhall. how are we not trying to talk to these guy? you don't have to sign them to a huge deal right there, just talk to them

do something

do what i said earlier and said last year. get a head start on the second tier guys while everyone else is fighting over the top guys

Yup. Ted certainly wouldn't make a large impact in PR.

Guiness
03-02-2007, 10:03 AM
No we're talking about 1.5 million dollars. Say that number again then look at your bank account.

I think I've grown tired of players whining about money. The whole FA market is getting to be as bad as baseball.

I hear you Zool, but you have to put it in perspective. Everything is relative, and $1.5mil is about 1.2% of a $110million dollar cap. So you could argue he is quibling over the crumbs.

This number, unfortunately, has nothing to do with MY bank account.

Partial
03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Damnit, I had a marvelous post but my broke ass laptop wigged out and powered down.

Anyway, I'll summarize because it was long.

You guys and your assessment of TT is ridiculous. None of you actually know what he thinks or how he is acting. You are making your judgements based off what he feeds the media which is strategic propaganda and nothing more.

I don't fault TT at all for not wanting to give an aging, injury prone running back more money than he is worth, regardless as how good he has been to the organization over the years. It is his job to take all emotion out of the equation and make smart business decisions. Do you think that if Ahman gets 5 mil per year whatever team that signs him isn't going to regret it?

You guys do understand that just because a general manager offers a contract for X amount of dollars the player does not need to accept it, right? Say he did offer Ahman a encentive laden contract with up to 4 million per year. What if he turned that down wanting more money, with all of it guaranteed. It takes two to tango, my friends.

Lastly, comparing the Ahman Green situation to the Walker situation is beyond comprehension. Nothing is similiar at all about the situations. Nothing. I don't know how that comparison makes sense to anyone. I could go on and explain why it doesn't, but I would rather here why its a fair comparison before I post why its not.

Its the first day of free agency. I don't see any major signings on ESPN yet, so lets just sit back, relax, and see what happens.

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 10:44 AM
In reality Partial, what you and MacCool606 post as a rebuttal and defense of TT is fair.

It certainly wouldn't do Ahman Green any damage to test the FA waters and try to get whatever $ it may offer. It's afterall all about business today, and that certainly applys to the players.

That is a point Partial, in case of your stating that there is a wide difference between the cases of Ted Thompson dealing with Javon Walker and the present cirumstances governing the reasons why Ahman Green is a free agent.

I'm sure that Ted Thompson is agonizing, at least somewhat, over Ahman Green's present position, and it's possible impact on OUR season.

Partial
03-02-2007, 11:07 AM
In reality Partial, what you and MacCool606 post as a rebuttal and defense of TT is fair.

It certainly wouldn't do Ahman Green any damage to test the FA waters and try to get whatever $ it may offer. It's afterall all about business today, and that certainly applys to the players.

That is a point Partial, in case of your stating that there is a wide difference between the cases of Ted Thompson dealing with Javon Walker and the present cirumstances governing the reasons why Ahman Green is a free agent.

I'm sure that Ted Thompson is agonizing, at least somewhat, over Ahman Green's present position, and it's possible impact on OUR season.

I think we are in the position of power here because I think Morency will do just fine as our starting running back. He had far more big plays than Green last year, and if for whatever reason they don't feel he can hold up to the pounding, then they will have to do RB by committee or use short passes to set-up the run. However, I think Morency would do just fine. I am quite convinced he knows how to avoid the big hit ala Brian Calhoun.

CaptainKickass
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
This whole thing sucks. What happened to the priority being "retaining our CORE players"??

When did Green loose the priveledge and become a player who does not fit the definition of "CORE"??

I have no problem with the running back by committee as we saw last year with Green and Morency anyway. The thing that Green brings is both experience at catching the pass out of the backfield, and more importantly - picking up the blitz for Favre. The blocking ability and experience he has is far superior to Morency and anyone else we may draft.

Who had a 1000 yd season again?

And I'll say it again - who does Brett Favre trust to pick up the blitz in passing situations? Green.

Sign him.

There was another thread last year where Ron Wolf was interviewed and asked about Greens injury and if the Pack should keep him - his answer was two words without hesitation:

"Sign Him".

geezus........

Partial
03-02-2007, 11:38 AM
This whole thing sucks. What happened to the priority being "retaining our CORE players"??

When did Green loose the priveledge and become a player who does not fit the definition of "CORE"??

I have no problem with the running back by committee as we saw last year with Green and Morency anyway. The thing that Green brings is both experience at catching the pass out of the backfield, and more importantly - picking up the blitz for Favre. The blocking ability and experience he has is far superior to Morency and anyone else we may draft.

And I'll say it again - who does Brett Favre trust to pick up the blitz in passing situations? Green.

Sign him.

There was another thread last year where Ron Wolf was interviewed and asked about Greens injury and if the Pack should keep him - his answer was two words without hesitation:

"Sign Him".

geezus........

You can't sign a player that doesn't want to sign. If he truly wanted to remain a packer he'd have gotten it done already. He already has more money than he'll ever spend. If playing for the packers was a priority he'd be one right now.

packerbacker1234
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
You ever think maybe because of Green Morency got the big gash's? They defense is prolly more intesified to stop the run with Green in the Morency.

Nothing against Morency, but most of his runs had massive holes and he wasn't even touched. The few times I saw a guy touch him he was on the ground in a second.

Aguytouches green and he keeps those legs pumping for an extra yard or two. Maybe green doesn't make cuts like he use too, but he is very reliable and is exactly what we need for tough yards. Plus if the hole is there green still has a big burst of speed in that tank. Green could well push 1300 yards or more with the improvement in the line. Lets not forget the screen and pass threat green presents out of the backfield as well.

Were trying to get Brett to the playoffs and maybe another ring right?Green is our best option at RB at the moment to get that done.

However, I am sure a preliminary offer was made to Green. Green is playing it smart and seeing what his market value is. He will then turn to the packers and be like "here is what I am being offered. I want to be a packer. So what will you offer to counter this."

I don't see a RB getting a big payday anywhere.

So never fret Green will be back. He'll get offered 3 mil a year plus incentives for some team and the packers will gladly match that offer.

Partial
03-02-2007, 11:41 AM
You ever think maybe because of Green Morency got the big gash's? They defense is prolly more intesified to stop the run with Green in the Morency.

Nothing against Morency, but most of his runs had massive holes and he wasn't even touched. The few times I saw a guy touch him he was on the ground in a second.

Aguytouches green and he keeps those legs pumping for an extra yard or two. Maybe green doesn't make cuts like he use too, but he is very reliable and is exactly what we need for tough yards. Plus if the hole is there green still has a big burst of speed in that tank. Green could well push 1300 yards or more with the improvement in the line. Lets not forget the screen and pass threat green presents out of the backfield as well.

Were trying to get Brett to the playoffs and maybe another ring right?Green is our best option at RB at the moment to get that done.

However, I am sure a preliminary offer was made to Green. Green is playing it smart and seeing what his market value is. He will then turn to the packers and be like "here is what I am being offered. I want to be a packer. So what will you offer to counter this."

I don't see a RB getting a big payday anywhere.

So never fret Green will be back. He'll get offered 3 mil a year plus incentives for some team and the packers will gladly match that offer.

Morency has much better vision and has more shake to him. The reason he was drafted in the third round was because he was hesistant in hitting the whole. I didn't see that from him at all last year.

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 11:43 AM
# 34 Vernand Morency Position: RB Height: 5-9 Weight: 212
Born: 02/04/1980 College: Oklahoma State NFL Experience: 3

Rushing

Year Team G ..GS.. Att.. Yds.. Avg.. Lg.. TD.. 20+... 1st
05 Texans 12.. 1... 46.. 184.. 4.0.. 25... 2..... 1....... 7
06 Packers 14.. 2.. 96... 434.. 4.5.. 39... 2..... 4....... 2

Receiving

Year Team.... G.. GS.. Rec.. Yds.. Avg.. Lg.. TD.. 20+.. 40+... 1st
05 Texans.. 12.. 1... 10.... 87... 8.7.. 16... 0.....0....... 0....... 5
06 Packers... 14.. 2... 17.. 118... 6.9.. 29... 0.... 1....... 0....... 4

VS.

# 30 Ahman Green Position: RB Height: 6-0 Weight: 218
Born: 02/16/1977 College: Nebraska NFL Experience: 10

Rushing

Year Team ...G GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 1st
98 Seahawks 16 0 35 209 6.0 64 1 2 8
99 Seahawks 14 0 26 120 4.6 21 0 1 12
00 Packers... 16 11 263 1175 4.5 39 10 10 61
01 Packers... 16 16 304 1387 4.6 83 9 11 57
02 Packers... 14 14 286 1240 4.3 43 7 7 54
03 Packers... 16 16 355 1883 5.3 98 15 15 96
04 Packers... 15 15 259 1163 4.5 90 7 6 55

*05 Green Bay Packers 5 5 77 255 3.3 13 0 0 11
** 06 Green Bay Packers 14 14 266 1059 4.0 avg 70 (long) 5TD and 3 X 20+ runs and 55 X 1st downs

* injury

** rehab. fr. injury

Receiving

Year Team G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ 1st
98 Seahawks 16 0 3 2 0.7 3 0 0 0 0
99 Seahawks 14 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0
00 Packers... 16 11 73 559 7.7 31 3 2 0 29
01 Packers... 16 16 62 594 9.6 42 2 5 1 24
02 Packers... 14 14 57 393 6.9 23 2 2 0 19
03 Packers... 16 16 50 367 7.3 27 5 4 0 19
04 Packers... 15 15 40 275 6.9 48 1 3 1 17

* 05 Packers..... 5 5 19 147 7.7 20 0 1 0 8
**06 Packers... 14 14 46 373 yards 8.1 avg. long of 20 and 1 TD and 1 X 20+ and 0 X 40+ and 14 1st downs.

I believe a careful analysis of the statistical comparison bet. V.Morency and A. Green certainly favors Ahman Green and Ahman is only 3 years his senior but with 7 years more NFL experience.

I have no reason to establish faith in V. Morency, based on what he's done in the NFL to date. The same goes for all of OUR RB's with the exception of Ahman Green.

Wait a second.

Are we still re-building?

packerbacker1234
03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
You also must of missed his fumbles from someone arm tackling him as well last year hmm?

Green > Morency.

If Morency was this all great back no one would be talking Lynch in the draft or even care if Green was resigned or not.

MadtownPacker
03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm sure that Ted Thompson is agonizing, at least somewhat, over Ahman Green's present position, and it's possible impact on OUR season.Then he isnt as stupid as some claim.

Like some have said, maybe TT is letting Ahman set his price in the market and then TT will try to match it. Kinda like eBay, get the best deal you can. It is fair to Green and fair to the team.

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 12:04 PM

Sign him.

"Sign Him".

geezus........

You can't sign a player that doesn't want to sign. If he truly wanted to remain a packer he'd have gotten it done already. He already has more money than he'll ever spend. If playing for the packers was a priority he'd be one right now.

Not if Ted Thompson offered him less than he believes he's worth.

Sometime this week:

Ahman's Agent : Hi Ted what's your offer for your long time loyal running back.

Ted Thompson: Well I don't, errrr, ahhhh, really know but ahhhhh maybe somethin' like last season and we'll negotiate on the bonus clauses. How's that uhhhh, pretty good, sound OK, uhhhhh?

Ahman's Agent : We'll no Ted as Ahman has specifically stated to me that he wants something very close to three seasons with $12 Million guranteed.

Ted Thompson: We'll ahhhhh, errrrrr, I see.So why don't I get back to you on that maybe around mid March. Tell Ahman I said hello.

Ahman's Agent : Flips Ted . . . ' the Bird '.

Just having some fun and of course it's really about this:

“We’re having conversations,” Thompson said of team negotiator Andrew Brandt and Green’s agent, “and again you never know when that last conversation takes place that you have a deal. But we’re trying, and we’ve made clear all along we’d like to have him back.”

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm sure that Ted Thompson is agonizing, at least somewhat, over Ahman Green's present position, and it's possible impact on OUR season.Then he isnt as stupid as some claim.

Like some have said, maybe TT is letting Ahman set his price in the market and then TT will try to match it. Kinda like eBay, get the best deal you can. It is fair to Green and fair to the team.

Is it that or that?

red
03-02-2007, 12:08 PM
you gave tt way to much emotion in that story

here try this

Ahman's Agent : Hi Ted what's your offer for your long time loyal running back.

Ted Thompson: ..........blank stare

Ahman's Agent : We'll Ted Ahman has specifically stated to me that he wants something very close to three seasons with $12 Million guranteed.

Ted Thompson: ............i will not be forced to discuss these kinds of deals at this time the year. now get the hell out of here

Ahman's Agent : Flips Ted . . . ' the Bird '.

Partial
03-02-2007, 12:29 PM
You also must of missed his fumbles from someone arm tackling him as well last year hmm?

Green > Morency.

If Morency was this all great back no one would be talking Lynch in the draft or even care if Green was resigned or not.

He's not great, but he's servicable. Lets put it this way, I would rather have Morency for a year than have a 10 million dollar cap hit when Green gets an injury next year and is forced to retire.

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 12:41 PM

Green > Morency.

He's not great, but he's servicable.

Sounds like an advertisement for really cheap toilet tissue. :idea:

retailguy
03-02-2007, 12:59 PM
http://www.benmaller.com/nfl_rumors_notes

The move for Dre Bly is just the first of several Denver will attempt to make as they continue trade talks, including a deal for Buffalo running back Willis McGahee. It could take around a third-round pick to get the former University of Miami star. In addition to McGahee, running backs who might be available in a trade include Chicago's Thomas Jones. The team also could look at Jamal Lewis, cut by the Ravens. Travis Henry could be another option if he is cut by Tennessee. One player who might visit is Green Bay's Ahman Green.

Partial
03-02-2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.benmaller.com/nfl_rumors_notes

The move for Dre Bly is just the first of several Denver will attempt to make as they continue trade talks, including a deal for Buffalo running back Willis McGahee. It could take around a third-round pick to get the former University of Miami star. In addition to McGahee, running backs who might be available in a trade include Chicago's Thomas Jones. The team also could look at Jamal Lewis, cut by the Ravens. Travis Henry could be another option if he is cut by Tennessee. One player who might visit is Green Bay's Ahman Green.

How is denver not over the cap? I feel like they make a slew of big moves every year.

retailguy
03-02-2007, 01:51 PM
How is denver not over the cap? I feel like they make a slew of big moves every year.

A different philosophy of cap management, perhaps?

red
03-02-2007, 01:52 PM
the green bay press has said green is going to denver for a visit

according to pft

Partial
03-02-2007, 04:15 PM

You can have a philosophy of managing the cap well or whatever, but when you consistently add 5+ million a year players, it is going to catch up with you eventually.

retailguy
03-02-2007, 04:23 PM

You can have a philosophy of managing the cap well or whatever, but when you consistently add 5+ million a year players, it is going to catch up with you eventually.

Really? Shanahan has been doing this for what 11 years? Maybe longer.

Partial, there is NOTHING wrong with being tight against the cap. It's just a different philosophy. Ole' Theo might be employing a better one, however, the other one works just fine too. Can it catch up with you? Sure, Tennessee is a perfect example....

Oh, and Green Bay's Sherman induced "cap hell" was resolved with the release of THREE players, Rivera, Wahle & Sharper. Big Crisis.... LOL

Tennessee's been fighting it for the past FOUR seasons, I believe and at last count released about 20 players....

Partial
03-02-2007, 04:29 PM

Really? Shanahan has been doing this for what 11 years? Maybe longer.

Partial, there is NOTHING wrong with being tight against the cap. It's just a different philosophy. Ole' Theo might be employing a better one, however, the other one works just fine too. Can it catch up with you? Sure, Tennessee is a perfect example....

Oh, and Green Bay's Sherman induced "cap hell" was resolved with the release of THREE players, Rivera, Wahle & Sharper. Big Crisis.... LOL

Tennessee's been fighting it for the past FOUR seasons, I believe and at last count released about 20 players....

I am not opposed to free agency because in two years the players look underpaid after two years or at least in line with what others are paid. I just question how the broncos can be tight against the cap year after year. Seems fishy.

FritzDontBlitz
03-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't fault TT at all for not wanting to give an aging, injury prone running back more money than he is worth, regardless as how good he has been to the organization over the years. It is his job to take all emotion out of the equation and make smart business decisions. Do you think that if Ahman gets 5 mil per year whatever team that signs him isn't going to regret it?

ahman misses one season due to injury and now he's injury prone?