PDA

View Full Version : CBS SPORTSLINE.COM TOP 50 FREE AGENTS

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Man, it must be nice to be an agent for the players in this class -- even if it isn't a good one.

1. Nate Clements, CB, Buffalo Bills: The Bills would love to keep him, but he's on his way out. The value is here, but he will cost a bunch.

2. Eric Steinbach, G, Cincinnati Bengals: He's started 62 games in four years, which is a lot of experience for a player his age. He isn't a power player, which would mean he needs to go to a team that throws the ball as well as it runs it.

3. Kris Dielman, G, San Diego Chargers: He plays with an aggressive style that makes him good in the run game. He will get scooped up early in this period, maybe even the first day.

4. Adalius Thomas, DE-LB, Baltimore Ravens: He has wonderful athletic skills, but they have to be used correctly. He probably can't be a full-time defensive end. But somebody will pay out big bucks for him.

5. Derrick Dockery, G, Washington Redskins: He is a young player who is coming off his best season. He is strong and physical and is just now hitting his peak.

6. Dewayne White, DE, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: With all the top pass rushers tagged with franchise tags, White will get a big-money deal. He is the right age (26) and played well in place of Simeon Rice last season.

7. Kevin Curtis, WR, St. Louis Rams: He's been a third receiver most of the time in St. Louis, but he has the one thing teams love: Deep speed. Look for Detroit to make a strong push.

8. Donte Stallworth, WR, Philadelphia Eagles: He has deep speed (averaging 19.1 per catch last season), but he has hard time staying on the field. He has 44 starts in five seasons, missing four games last season. He did have four 40-plus catches last season.

9. Ken Hamlin, S, Seattle Seahawks: This hard-hitting safety played 16 games in 2006 after suffering a serious head injury in a fight late in 2006. Teams will check his medical closely, but he didn't show any affects last season.

10. Tony Pashos, T, Baltimore Ravens: If a team is looking for a rising player on the offensive line, this guy is it. He played well at right tackle for the Ravens in 2006.

11. Patrick Kerney, DE, Atlanta Falcons: At 30, he is getting up in the years. That's a concern. Plus, he's coming off a torn pectoral muscle. But he's a great teammate and he plays hard. With a shortage of pass rushers, he will get paid.

12. Daniel Graham, TE, New England Patriots: In a league where a lot of teams are searching for tight ends, Graham is bound to hit it big. He is a good player, but not a great one.

13. Leonard Davis, Arizona Cardinals: He has the tools to be a dominant player -- especially at guard -- but it just doesn't show up. Some team will be lured by the potential and give him a nice deal. It's risky.

14. Cato June, Indianapolis Colts: June is a run-and-chase linebacker who had a big 2005 season, but didn't play as well in 2006. The Colts would like to keep him, but it will be tough.

15. Joey Porter, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: He isn't the player he was a few years ago. He didn't play that well in 2006, which is why the Steelers let him go. Plus, if they use more 4-3 under new coach Mike Tomlin, he doesn't fit.

16. Deon Grant, S, Jacksonville Jaguars: This rangy safety is getting up in the years, but he keeps his body in tip-top shape. He would prefer to return to the Jaguars, but only for the right money.

17. London Fletcher-Baker, LB, Buffalo Bills: He's getting up in the years, but he's still a solid middle linebacker. The Bills would like to re-sign him, but there is talk he has deals already lined up with other teams.

18. Luke Petitgout, T, New York Giants: He played well last season before going down with a fractured fibula. The Giants thought he was too expensive to keep around. Some team will pay him.

19. Drew Bennett, WR, Tennessee Titans He's never been a real speed guy, but he knows how to play the position. He will be 29 in August, so you have to wonder when he slows down some. He did average a career-best 16 yards per catch last season, which would mean not yet.

20. Shaun O'Hara, C, New York Giants: He came to the Giants as a free agent in 2000 and has played well. He isn't big, but he knows how to get the job done. He's feisty.

21. Jon Stinchcomb, T, New Orleans Saints: After sitting his first three seasons, Stinchcomb started all 16 games last season. He isn't an overpowering player, but he played better than many expected last season.

22. Ian Scott, DT, Bears At 25, this is a guy teams in need of a defensive tackle should target. He opened the season as a starter, lost his job, then played well when Tommie Harris went down.

23. Robaire Smith, DT, Tennessee Titans: After leaving for Houston as a free agent three years ago, he retuned to the Titans and played well. He had 13 starts and played solid against the run.

24. Kawika Mitchell, LB, Kansas City Chiefs: He's a solid, young player who started all 16 games for the Chiefs last season. Mitchell might never be a star, but he can be a starter for some teams.

25. Justin Griffith, FB, Atlanta Falcons: He can block, catch it and run it when needed. He's one of the more underrated fullbacks in the league.

26. Jamal Lewis, RB, Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens released him this week, rather than pay him a roster bonus. They want him back, but he might test the market.

27. Dominic Rhodes, Indianapolis Colts: The Colts would like to keep him, but if the price gets high he is gone. Rhodes is a good backup, but you have to wonder if he can be a feature back.

28. Marc Colombo, T, Cowboys: He resurrected his career last season. He played well at right tackle for the Cowboys, who want him back.

29. Ashley Lelie, WR, Atlanta Falcons: He opted out of Atlanta after one season and will now test the market. He has big-play speed, and with the right team he can be an effective threat vertically in the passing game.

30. Kyle Brady, TE, Jacksonville Jaguars: He is the best blocking tight end in the league. He plays like a third tackle. But if a team is looking for a pass catcher, forget it.

31. Dennis Northcutt, WR, Cleveland Browns: He has the speed teams want, but he wasn't that productive last season. Word is he tired of the losing ways in Cleveland.

32. Ahman Green, RB, Green Bay Packers: Age is a concern here. But if he checks out medically, he can give a team two more years.

33. Nick Harper, Indianapolis Colts: At 32, his age is a concern. But he has been a solid starter for the Colts. But paying him top dollar could be risky at his age.

34. Cooper Carlise, G, Denver Broncos: Here's another starting guard on the market. He isn't as overpowering as guys like Dielman, but he can work in a Denver style of offense.

35. Jeff Garcia, QB, Philadelphia Eagles: He is a system quarterback who has to play in the West Coast offense. At 37, how much does he have left?

36. Jerramy Stevens, TE, Seattle Seahawks: I thought this kid would be a star when he came out. So far, it hasn't happened. But the ability is there.

37. Jordan Black, T, Kansas City Chiefs: It is a lean market for tackles, so he might get paid. Black has started the past two seasons, playing pretty well in 2006.

38. Reggie Kelly, TE, Cincinnati Bengals: He excels as a blocking tight end, which teams will look to get since there are few in the draft. He won't be a down-the-field pass catcher, but blocking is a valuable commodity.

39. Rod Hood, CB, Philadelphia Eagles: He has been a solid nickel back, but at 25 it might be time for him to get a look as a starter. If not, a team in need of a third corner should give him a look.

40. LaVar Arrington, LB, New York Giants: He played well for the Giants last season before getting hurt. The many injuries have teams concerned, which is why he's down this low.

41. Donnie Edwards, LB, Chargers: Yes, he's a productive player. But he is getting up in the years. At some point, it has to show.

42. Chris Brown, RB, Tennessee Titans: He played in only five games last season -- at one point listed as sitting out because of turf toe -- but is two years removed from a 1,000-yard season. He runs a little high for some teams' liking.

43. Brian Simmons, LB, Cincinnati Bengals: He was released this week for money reasons, but he can still play. He missed five games last season and he is 31.

44. Cosey Coleman, G, Cleveland Browns: He's another in a deep guard class. Coleman is 28, so he has some good years in front of him.

45. Joe Horn, WR, New Orleans Saints: Age is an issue, which is why he's on the market. Horn has slowed down some, which isn't good thing for a guy who isn't a blazing player anyway.

46. Ruben Brown, G, Chicago Bears: He's getting up in the years at 35, but he played at a high level last season. His toughness is big in the run game.

47. Napoleon Harris, LB, Minnesota Vikings: He played well in 2006, but the Vikings can't afford to bring him back. He will be remembered as part of the Randy Moss trade.

48. Michael Lewis, S, Philadelphia Eagles: He is a big hitter who was benched in 2006. But he has starting experience and he's only 26 years old.

49. Kelly Washington, WR, Cincinnati Bengals: He was bothered by a hamstring injury last season, but he has big-play ability. He is the fourth receiver with the Bengals, but could help a team not as deep.

50. Antonio Bryant, WR, San Francisco 49ers: He isn't the best teammate, and he has off-field issues, but he's a good player. Teams will have to decide if he's worth the risk.

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 12:05 AM
I thought that I'd unbold them as they are plucked off the market; plz post as they are signed.

HOW many do you think TT will pluck away ?

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 12:06 AM
special note

in this class it's idiotic to have Ahman Green at 32; he should be in the 15-24 rang IMO

red
03-02-2007, 12:08 AM
keep moving.

go peddle your players somewhere else

we don't need any of "those" types of players on this team

FritzDontBlitz
03-02-2007, 01:20 AM
special note

in this class it's idiotic to have Ahman Green at 32; he should be in the 15-24 rang IMO

i hope the other teams are thinking the same as sportsline, that would help keep him in green and gold. 8)

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 01:38 AM
From ESPN:

Free agency opened with an explosion of phone calls to set up visits for the 308 NFL available players.

Teams couldn't contact agents of free agent players until 12:01 a.m. ET Friday. Once they did, visits were set up for later in the day. The Broncos, Seahawks, 49ers and Browns were among the most aggressive teams.

Bengals guard Eric Steinbach is heading to Cleveland for a visit, with secondary trips set up with Tampa Bay and Seattle. The Seahawks talked Chargers guard Kris Dielman into making Seattle his first stop. Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney will begin his free agency tour in Denver. If no deal is worked out there, Kerney is off to Seattle for a visit.

Patriots tight end Daniel Graham visits the Broncos on Friday and has the Seahawks on his list of visits for later in the weekend. The Vikings persuaded Rams wide receiver Kevin Curtis to visit them first, but there could be weather problems. Most people thought Curtis would go to Detroit. The Vikings are also scheduling a trip for Giants tight end Visanthe Shiancoe for Friday.

Leonard Davis of the Cardinals hasn't scheduled a trip because negotiations were heating up with at least three NFC East teams, including the Dallas Cowboys.

Ravens tackle Tony Pathos scheduled a visit to Jacksonville for Friday. Falcons fullback Justin Griffith plans to go to Tampa Bay. The 49ers are expected to get a visit from Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas. The Redskins were expected to be working on Bills linebacker London Fletcher. Colts halfback Dominic Rhodes plans to visit the Giants. Bills cornerback Nate Clements was talking to the Browns, Titans, 49ers and several other teams.

Steinbach makes sense for Cleveland. Dielman makes sense for Seattle. Graham and Kerney make sense for Denver. Thomas makes sense for San Fran. Fletcher to Washington seems like a foregone conclusion. Not sure that Curtis makes sense in the Vikings system. I hope they, and not Detroit, sign him. Shiancoe? They meant "Pashos". He's a good player. Why isn't Griffith lined up for a visit to Green Bay.

superfan
03-02-2007, 02:08 AM
Leonard Davis of the Cardinals hasn't scheduled a trip because negotiations were heating up with at least three NFC East teams, including the Dallas Cowboys.

This should be interesting. At least three NFC East teams competing for the same guy. Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, etc. By the time he is signed, these owners won't even remember who they were going after, it will be all about outbidding each other.

Davis is gonna get P-A-I-D.

CaliforniaCheez
03-02-2007, 02:14 AM
There are really 2 prices. The long term price and the rental rate.

The younger players will want the long term rate.

Almost all over age 30 are facing the rental rate in a one year contract, maybe 2 years if lucky.

With Ted I think he will be cautious and not make a Joe Johnson deal.

The trouble is these guys are not the best in the league.
Some will set new standards in wage inflation.
Many will wish they just had their old contracts.

Adam Timmerman is not on the list???

the_idle_threat
03-02-2007, 03:30 AM
Many offensive linemen on this list, especially guards. I don't expect to see much interest in them from TT.

packrulz
03-02-2007, 05:29 AM
I like Daniel Graham a lot, TT is also interested in Griffith, interesting they don't have Eric Johnson on there.

MadtownPacker
03-02-2007, 06:19 AM
If TT could get Graham and Hamlin along with resigning Ahman and trading for Moss there would be Emergency rooms full of Kool Aid overdoses nationwide.

chain_gang
03-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Anyone know about #39. Rod Hood, CB, Philadelphia Eagles: He has been a solid nickel back, but at 25 it might be time for him to get a look as a starter. If not, a team in need of a third corner should give him a look.

I don't know much about him, but the last nickel back we got from the eagles turned out to be pretty good, and the plus side this guy is young yet.

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 07:34 AM
From ESPN:

Free agency opened with an explosion of phone calls to set up visits for the 308 NFL available players.

Teams couldn't contact agents of free agent players until 12:01 a.m. ET Friday. Once they did, visits were set up for later in the day. The Broncos, Seahawks, 49ers and Browns were among the most aggressive teams.

Bengals guard Eric Steinbach is heading to Cleveland for a visit, with secondary trips set up with Tampa Bay and Seattle. The Seahawks talked Chargers guard Kris Dielman into making Seattle his first stop. Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney will begin his free agency tour in Denver. If no deal is worked out there, Kerney is off to Seattle for a visit.

Patriots tight end Daniel Graham visits the Broncos on Friday and has the Seahawks on his list of visits for later in the weekend. The Vikings persuaded Rams wide receiver Kevin Curtis to visit them first, but there could be weather problems. Most people thought Curtis would go to Detroit. The Vikings are also scheduling a trip for Giants tight end Visanthe Shiancoe for Friday.

Ravens tackle Tony Pathos scheduled a visit to Jacksonville for Friday. Falcons fullback Justin Griffith plans to go to Tampa Bay. The 49ers are expected to get a visit from Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas. The Redskins were expected to be working on Bills linebacker London Fletcher. Colts halfback Dominic Rhodes plans to visit the Giants. Bills cornerback Nate Clements was talking to the Browns, Titans, 49ers and several other teams.

Steinbach makes sense for Cleveland. Dielman makes sense for Seattle. Graham and Kerney make sense for Denver. Thomas makes sense for San Fran. Fletcher to Washington seems like a foregone conclusion. Not sure that Curtis makes sense in the Vikings system. I hope they, and not Detroit, sign him. Shiancoe? They meant "Pashos". He's a good player. Why isn't Griffith lined up for a visit to Green Bay.

WHO IS GREEN BAY CALLING ?

MJZiggy
03-02-2007, 07:57 AM
TT's never gonna tell us who he's calling! You know that.

retailguy
03-02-2007, 08:21 AM

NOBODY.

pittstang5
03-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Anyone know about #39. Rod Hood, CB, Philadelphia Eagles: He has been a solid nickel back, but at 25 it might be time for him to get a look as a starter. If not, a team in need of a third corner should give him a look.

I don't know much about him, but the last nickel back we got from the eagles turned out to be pretty good, and the plus side this guy is young yet.

I didn't even know Hood was a FA until I saw this list. He's an interesting prospect that I don't think will command a ton of money. He'd be a great nickelback and could fill in as a starter if needed (much better than Dendy). I believe he's got some punt/kick return ability too. I'd like to see the Pack go after him, but I think Hood wants to be a fulltime starter. With the money locked up in Harris and Woodson at the position, I don't think TT is going to look at too many higher tiered CBs.

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 09:04 AM

NOBODY.

TT gets nervous in a press conference, and really nervous on a telephone. :)

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 12:48 PM
I'd love to get Roderick Hood. I seem him almost like Al Harris when he left Philadelphia.

The agents for players "rumored" to interest the Packers have all said that they haven't even gotten a call from the Packers. That's a bit disappointing.

chain_gang
03-02-2007, 04:00 PM
He's not on the list, but

Falcons sign former Ravens FB Mughelli

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=18356

More from Espn.

On Friday, the Falcons reached a six-year, $18 million deal with Ravens fullback Ovie Mughelli that included a $5 million signing bonus. The blockbuster deal is the biggest contract given to a pure fullback.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2785966

Partial
03-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I'd love to get Roderick Hood. I seem him almost like Al Harris when he left Philadelphia.

The agents for players "rumored" to interest the Packers have all said that they haven't even gotten a call from the Packers. That's a bit disappointing.

I would throw starter money and him and Grant. Those would be two excellent acquisitions and we would have an excellent defense.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 04:36 PM
You know contracts are getting whacky when an average FB gets a 6y/$18M contract.

That can't be much more than what Thompson was offering Ahman. If this guy is a $3M/year player, than give Ahman $5-6M/year and move on.

chain_gang
03-02-2007, 05:10 PM
What about a back like T.J. Duckett to pair up with Morency. I think that would be a good 1-2 punch and that should help our short yardage. Duckett shouldn't be too expensive. He's been in the ZBS and was very successful in short yardage in Atlanta, he would instantly help our redzone and short yardage game. Not to mention there's not much wear and tear on his body, from being a PT player.

chain_gang
03-02-2007, 05:30 PM
2. Eric Steinbach, G.

Cleveland Browns John clayton just reported, I believe he said 7yrs 49.5 mil.

Scott Campbell
03-02-2007, 05:36 PM
The first few days of free agency are when all the crazy money usually gets spent.

chain_gang
03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
5. Derrick Dockery, G, reported by John Clayton has agreed to a 7yr 49 mill dollar range contract will the buffalo bills.

Here's a link I found

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4646

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I like Dockery, and felt he should have been higher on the available OGs list. Apparently, Buffalo agrees with me.
:D

chain_gang
03-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah Dockery's a good one that's for sure. Still can't believe the money guards are getting nowadays. Makes Wahle going to Carolina look like a Bargain.

Farley Face
03-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Two years ago we tried to trade for him for Fergy straight up. He would be an upgrade over Dendy and is an ace special teamer. I'd like to see us grab him but he wouldn't want to sign with us to be a nickel when someone else will offer a starting job and more $$.

chain_gang
03-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Two years ago we tried to trade for him for Fergy straight up. He would be an upgrade over Dendy and is an ace special teamer. I'd like to see us grab him but he wouldn't want to sign with us to be a nickel when someone else will offer a starting job and more $$.

Alright, damn was hoping he'd be alright playing nickel at least another year, and then possibly, sliding him in to the starting slot next year.

J-Rok
03-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Um, I wouldn't pay attention to this list. It's obviously biased. I wasn't listed in the top 20, let alone the top 10 like I should be.

BooHoo
03-02-2007, 07:23 PM
He's not on the list, but

Falcons sign former Ravens FB Mughelli

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=18356

More from Espn.

On Friday, the Falcons reached a six-year, $18 million deal with Ravens fullback Ovie Mughelli that included a $5 million signing bonus. The blockbuster deal is the biggest contract given to a pure fullback.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2785966

What was Alanta thinking? Wow, big money for a FB.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Found this on ESPN, but they also have a ? by our team name, so I'm thinking this is conjecture. No way we'll spend what will be needed to sign this guy.

Patriots pursuing Thomas
<Mar. 2> With LB Tully Banta-Cain making visits, the Patriots are feeling some urgency to land Thomas, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton. The Patriots' main competition for the free-agent linebacker is the 49ers. The Packers and Browns are also in the mix.

Thomas, a Pro Bowler in 2006, is a Patriots type of player across the board -- with great size, instincts and love for the game. He had 83 tackles in 2006 and was second on the Ravens with 11 sacks.

chain_gang
03-02-2007, 07:50 PM
17. London Fletcher-Baker

From PFT.

POSTED 8:42 p.m. EST; UPDATED 8:46 p.m. EST, March 2, 2007

FLETCHER IS A 'SKIN

A league source tells us that linebacker London Fletcher has agreed to terms with the Washington Redskins.

Per the source, it's a five-year, $25 million deal. It pays a $10.5 million signing bonus and pays out $12.5 million over the first two years.

Washington was Fletcher's first and only visit. Other teams that were interested in the nine-year veteran were the Bills, Lions, and Patriots.

Also,
48. Michael Lewis, S

LEWIS SIGNS WITH NINERS

Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat reports the the 49ers have signed safety Michael Lewis, and that the Niners are close to signing nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin.

The Niners also have signed cornerback Nate Clements, arguably the top free agent on the market.

red
03-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Adalius Thomas to the pats

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Man, it must be nice to be an agent for the players in this class -- even if it isn't a good one.

1. Nate Clements, CB, Buffalo Bills: The Bills would love to keep him, but he's on his way out. The value is here, but he will cost a bunch.

2. Eric Steinbach, G, Cincinnati Bengals: He's started 62 games in four years, which is a lot of experience for a player his age. He isn't a power player, which would mean he needs to go to a team that throws the ball as well as it runs it.

3. Kris Dielman, G, San Diego Chargers: He plays with an aggressive style that makes him good in the run game. He will get scooped up early in this period, maybe even the first day.

4. Adalius Thomas, DE-LB, Baltimore Ravens: He has wonderful athletic skills, but they have to be used correctly. He probably can't be a full-time defensive end. But somebody will pay out big bucks for him.

5. Derrick Dockery, G, Washington Redskins: He is a young player who is coming off his best season. He is strong and physical and is just now hitting his peak.

6. Dewayne White, DE, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: With all the top pass rushers tagged with franchise tags, White will get a big-money deal. He is the right age (26) and played well in place of Simeon Rice last season.

7. Kevin Curtis, WR, St. Louis Rams: He's been a third receiver most of the time in St. Louis, but he has the one thing teams love: Deep speed. Look for Detroit to make a strong push.

8. Donte Stallworth, WR, Philadelphia Eagles: He has deep speed (averaging 19.1 per catch last season), but he has hard time staying on the field. He has 44 starts in five seasons, missing four games last season. He did have four 40-plus catches last season.

9. Ken Hamlin, S, Seattle Seahawks: This hard-hitting safety played 16 games in 2006 after suffering a serious head injury in a fight late in 2006. Teams will check his medical closely, but he didn't show any affects last season.

10. Tony Pashos, T, Baltimore Ravens: If a team is looking for a rising player on the offensive line, this guy is it. He played well at right tackle for the Ravens in 2006.

11. Patrick Kerney, DE, Atlanta Falcons: At 30, he is getting up in the years. That's a concern. Plus, he's coming off a torn pectoral muscle. But he's a great teammate and he plays hard. With a shortage of pass rushers, he will get paid.

12. Daniel Graham, TE, New England Patriots: In a league where a lot of teams are searching for tight ends, Graham is bound to hit it big. He is a good player, but not a great one.

13. Leonard Davis, Arizona Cardinals: He has the tools to be a dominant player -- especially at guard -- but it just doesn't show up. Some team will be lured by the potential and give him a nice deal. It's risky.

14. Cato June, Indianapolis Colts: June is a run-and-chase linebacker who had a big 2005 season, but didn't play as well in 2006. The Colts would like to keep him, but it will be tough.

15. Joey Porter, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: He isn't the player he was a few years ago. He didn't play that well in 2006, which is why the Steelers let him go. Plus, if they use more 4-3 under new coach Mike Tomlin, he doesn't fit.

16. Deon Grant, S, Jacksonville Jaguars: This rangy safety is getting up in the years, but he keeps his body in tip-top shape. He would prefer to return to the Jaguars, but only for the right money.

17. London Fletcher-Baker, LB, Buffalo Bills: He's getting up in the years, but he's still a solid middle linebacker. The Bills would like to re-sign him, but there is talk he has deals already lined up with other teams.

18. Luke Petitgout, T, New York Giants: He played well last season before going down with a fractured fibula. The Giants thought he was too expensive to keep around. Some team will pay him.

19. Drew Bennett, WR, Tennessee Titans He's never been a real speed guy, but he knows how to play the position. He will be 29 in August, so you have to wonder when he slows down some. He did average a career-best 16 yards per catch last season, which would mean not yet.

20. Shaun O'Hara, C, New York Giants: He came to the Giants as a free agent in 2000 and has played well. He isn't big, but he knows how to get the job done. He's feisty.

21. Jon Stinchcomb, T, New Orleans Saints: After sitting his first three seasons, Stinchcomb started all 16 games last season. He isn't an overpowering player, but he played better than many expected last season.

22. Ian Scott, DT, Bears At 25, this is a guy teams in need of a defensive tackle should target. He opened the season as a starter, lost his job, then played well when Tommie Harris went down.

23. Robaire Smith, DT, Tennessee Titans: After leaving for Houston as a free agent three years ago, he retuned to the Titans and played well. He had 13 starts and played solid against the run.

24. Kawika Mitchell, LB, Kansas City Chiefs: He's a solid, young player who started all 16 games for the Chiefs last season. Mitchell might never be a star, but he can be a starter for some teams.

25. Justin Griffith, FB, Atlanta Falcons: He can block, catch it and run it when needed. He's one of the more underrated fullbacks in the league.

26. Jamal Lewis, RB, Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens released him this week, rather than pay him a roster bonus. They want him back, but he might test the market.

27. Dominic Rhodes, Indianapolis Colts: The Colts would like to keep him, but if the price gets high he is gone. Rhodes is a good backup, but you have to wonder if he can be a feature back.

28. Marc Colombo, T, Cowboys: He resurrected his career last season. He played well at right tackle for the Cowboys, who want him back.

29. Ashley Lelie, WR, Atlanta Falcons: He opted out of Atlanta after one season and will now test the market. He has big-play speed, and with the right team he can be an effective threat vertically in the passing game.

30. Kyle Brady, TE, Jacksonville Jaguars: He is the best blocking tight end in the league. He plays like a third tackle. But if a team is looking for a pass catcher, forget it.

31. Dennis Northcutt, WR, Cleveland Browns: He has the speed teams want, but he wasn't that productive last season. Word is he tired of the losing ways in Cleveland.

32. Ahman Green, RB, Green Bay Packers: Age is a concern here. But if he checks out medically, he can give a team two more years.

33. Nick Harper, Indianapolis Colts: At 32, his age is a concern. But he has been a solid starter for the Colts. But paying him top dollar could be risky at his age.

34. Cooper Carlise, G, Denver Broncos: Here's another starting guard on the market. He isn't as overpowering as guys like Dielman, but he can work in a Denver style of offense.

35. Jeff Garcia, QB, Philadelphia Eagles: He is a system quarterback who has to play in the West Coast offense. At 37, how much does he have left?

36. Jerramy Stevens, TE, Seattle Seahawks: I thought this kid would be a star when he came out. So far, it hasn't happened. But the ability is there.

37. Jordan Black, T, Kansas City Chiefs: It is a lean market for tackles, so he might get paid. Black has started the past two seasons, playing pretty well in 2006.

38. Reggie Kelly, TE, Cincinnati Bengals: He excels as a blocking tight end, which teams will look to get since there are few in the draft. He won't be a down-the-field pass catcher, but blocking is a valuable commodity.

39. Rod Hood, CB, Philadelphia Eagles: He has been a solid nickel back, but at 25 it might be time for him to get a look as a starter. If not, a team in need of a third corner should give him a look.

40. LaVar Arrington, LB, New York Giants: He played well for the Giants last season before getting hurt. The many injuries have teams concerned, which is why he's down this low.

41. Donnie Edwards, LB, Chargers: Yes, he's a productive player. But he is getting up in the years. At some point, it has to show.

42. Chris Brown, RB, Tennessee Titans: He played in only five games last season -- at one point listed as sitting out because of turf toe -- but is two years removed from a 1,000-yard season. He runs a little high for some teams' liking.

43. Brian Simmons, LB, Cincinnati Bengals: He was released this week for money reasons, but he can still play. He missed five games last season and he is 31.

44. Cosey Coleman, G, Cleveland Browns: He's another in a deep guard class. Coleman is 28, so he has some good years in front of him.

45. Joe Horn, WR, New Orleans Saints: Age is an issue, which is why he's on the market. Horn has slowed down some, which isn't good thing for a guy who isn't a blazing player anyway.

46. Ruben Brown, G, Chicago Bears: He's getting up in the years at 35, but he played at a high level last season. His toughness is big in the run game.

47. Napoleon Harris, LB, Minnesota Vikings: He played well in 2006, but the Vikings can't afford to bring him back. He will be remembered as part of the Randy Moss trade.

48. Michael Lewis, S, Philadelphia Eagles: He is a big hitter who was benched in 2006. But he has starting experience and he's only 26 years old.

49. Kelly Washington, WR, Cincinnati Bengals: He was bothered by a hamstring injury last season, but he has big-play ability. He is the fourth receiver with the Bengals, but could help a team not as deep.

50. Antonio Bryant, WR, San Francisco 49ers: He isn't the best teammate, and he has off-field issues, but he's a good player. Teams will have to decide if he's worth the risk.

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm going to try to bold as players are off the board.

Feel free to post any updates if I'm behind.

I want TT to nab a few of these

red
03-02-2007, 08:42 PM
FLETCHER IS A 'SKIN

A league source tells us that linebacker London Fletcher has agreed to terms with the Washington Redskins.

Per the source, it's a five-year, $25 million deal. It pays a $10.5 million signing bonus and pays out $12.5 million over the first two years.

Washington was Fletcher's first and only visit. Other teams that were interested in the nine-year veteran were the Bills, Lions, and Patriots.

esoxx
03-02-2007, 08:57 PM
10. Tony Pashos - signed with Jax

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 08:59 PM
10. Tony Pashos - signed with Jax

Thanks; bolded his tail out

I'll bold and underline anybody TT signs if he does something on time.

red
03-02-2007, 09:02 PM
umm

ok i'll try this again

17. london fletcher baker to the skins

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 09:06 PM
umm

ok i'll try this again

17. london fletcher baker to the skins

dammit I looked through that list twice and missed him. I'll bold him now

Thanks

something tells me this exercise will be depressing.

I WILL BOLD, UNDERLINE, and ITALICIZE ANY NEW FA TURTLE SIGNS.....................hopefully soon.

MJZiggy
03-02-2007, 09:09 PM
We're gonna need some tranquilizer darts over here by the end of the week!

red
03-02-2007, 09:12 PM
We're gonna need some tranquilizer darts over here by the end of the week!

starting tomorrow morning i'll be drunk and away from the computer for the rest of the weekend

thats how i'm dealing with this

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 11:13 PM

I would throw starter money and him and Grant. Those would be two excellent acquisitions and we would have an excellent defense.

Amen; both would be great signings for Green Bay

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 10:42 PM

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 10:43 PM
It appears 1/4 of the top 50 are gone after two days

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2007, 10:50 PM
From 16 down, not many are worth worrying about. Even some above that, aren't worth worrying about.

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 10:53 PM
From 16 down, not many are worth worrying about. Even some above that, aren't worth worrying about.

I'm not as picky; there are a number of those guys I'd be happy to have

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Quite seriously, these are the only guys I think are worth looking at for us:

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Quite seriously, these are the only guys I think are worth looking at for us:

I like all of those, but I'll add a few more

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Curtis
Pettigoat
Coleman

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Curtis
Pettigoat
Coleman

Don't like Curtis for our system. Petitgout isn't going to sign here. I'm cool with letting the youngsters duke it out at OG.

Bretsky
03-05-2007, 07:55 PM

Bretsky
03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
ONE out of THREE are gone

Plz let me know if I missed any

Bretsky
03-06-2007, 07:49 PM

Bretsky
03-06-2007, 07:51 PM
40% of the top 50 are gone after five days of free agency.

I've felt all along Pack would sign Griffin; it's too much of a no brainer.

But I wonder how many of the top 50 TT gets ?

My guess is two.

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:17 AM

Bretsky
03-09-2007, 07:18 AM
ONE WEEK INTO FREE AGENCY AND HALF THE THE TOP 50 ARE GONE

woodbuck27
03-09-2007, 12:38 PM
http://packers.aolsportsblog.com/category/nfl-rumors/

NOTE:

This is fr. a blog.

The Saints looked at the top three free safeties on the market -- Deon Grant, Ken Hamlin, and Kevin Kaesviharn.

Now, the Cincinnati Enquirer is confirming what Adam Schefter reported on the NFL Network a few days ago. Kaesviharn is close to a deal with New Orleans.

Kaesviharn was a situational safety last year for the Bengals, but still grabbed six interceptions in just 14 games. The Saints got a good look at him in November, when he posted nine tackles, 1.5 sacks, and an interception in the end zone.

He was actually an Algebra teacher when he decided to go pro. That probably explains why he's so good at picking off passes -- he's got a keen sense of angles and the quickest path to a ball in-flight (or is that geometry? Trig? Calculus? Christ, I'm stupid). He began his career in the XFL, then played two in the AFL before signing with the Packers, where he lasted two days.

The Bengals signed him right after that.

He'll be 31 when the season starts, but he should still provide a ball-hawking element to the secondary. That was supposed to be Josh Bullocks' specialty after a solid rookie year, but he seemed lost in coverage last year.

swede
03-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Kaesviharn and Hunter Hillenmeyer were two inexplicable cuts by Sherman, and I think they happened in the same training camp.

Bretsky
03-17-2007, 06:03 PM

HarveyWallbangers
03-17-2007, 07:35 PM
For accuracy sake, Robaire Smith, Jordan Black, and Justin Griffith are signed.

Bretsky
03-17-2007, 07:41 PM
For accuracy sake, Robaire Smith, Jordan Black, and Justin Griffith are signed.

Thanks Harv, that means 72% of the top 50 Free Agents have been signed less than three weeks into free agency.

And I was excited March 2nd when I was thinking TT would get at least two of the top 50 with our excess salary cap space.

We better draft well; we have plenty of holes to fill

Bretsky
03-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Not much action this week; the supply is dwindling down as I think the only top 50 FA to come off the board was Hamlin