PDA

View Full Version : Ahmad Carroll tendered $850K

CaliforniaCheez
03-02-2007, 06:51 AM
http://www.jaguars.com/news/Article.aspx?id=5871

JAGUARS TENDER SIX PLAYERS

The Jaguars have tendered contract offers today to six restricted free agents: CB Ahmad Carroll, LB/DE Jorge Cordova, QB Quinn Gray, DE Bobby McCray, PK Josh Scobee and WR Ernest Wilford. The Jaguars also tendered two exclusive right free agents: DE Kenny Pettway and RB/KR Derrick Wimbush.

Carroll, 23, played in one game with the Jaguars after being waived by the Green Bay Packers on October 3. The 5-10, 190-pound cornerback was originally drafted in the first round of 2004 out of Arkansas. He has started 28 of 35 career games with 104 tackles (95 solo), three sacks and three interceptions.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/030207/jag_8337322.shtml

Carroll will receive $850,000 next season in base salary. If they're extended offer sheets, the team can match them or receive draft-pick compensation.

His cap number with the Packers was 1.4 million.

His salary is now worth about 1/5th of undrafted Cullen Jenkins.

the_idle_threat
03-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Maybe they're fishing ... hoping some team will make the grave mistake of signing him away and giving up a 2nd-round pick (according to the article) in compensation. If it doesn't pay off, they can cut him in training camp.

The 2nd round compensation is confusing to me. Since Jacksonville signed him off the street, I'm surprised that there would be any compensation at all to them. But if compensation is due, wouldn't it be a 1st-round pick, since that was the round in which he was drafted?

:?: :?: :?:

CaliforniaCheez
03-02-2007, 07:20 AM
It is a 1 year deal for 850K.
It will be close whether he counts more against the Jaguar cap or the Packer cap in 07.
If Ted could have received a second round pick for Carroll he would have taken it.

Fritz
03-02-2007, 08:57 AM
yeah, that is kind of confusing. The article didn't say he'd gotten a second round tender (Gray and wilford did), yet it said later they'd get a second rounder of someone signed Carroll. However, I don't think 850,000 is the second round tender, is it? Earlier, the article said they'd tendered Carroll at a "low round" level.

Who the hell would want to sign him anyway, and why would you tender a guy at second round price when the dude played in maybe two games last year for them?

red
03-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Maybe they're fishing ... hoping some team will make the grave mistake of signing him away and giving up a 2nd-round pick (according to the article) in compensation. If it doesn't pay off, they can cut him in training camp.

The 2nd round compensation is confusing to me. Since Jacksonville signed him off the street, I'm surprised that there would be any compensation at all to them. But if compensation is due, wouldn't it be a 1st-round pick, since that was the round in which he was drafted?

:?: :?: :?:

it depends what tag that is

i think its the lowest tag where you get a pick in the round a guy was drafted, but i'm not sure how that works with cuts

the next tag up is the one where a team gets a second as compensation

now, if any of what i said is true. then it would look like they're fishing. carroll would deserve the lowest tender, if any, but the team knows no one would be willing to give up a #1. so they lowered the bar a bit by giving him the higher tag

edit. agree agree with you fritz. i think something like 1.3 million is the second round tender. making all this very confusing

woodbuck27
03-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Maybe they're fishing ... hoping some team will make the grave mistake of signing him away and giving up a 2nd-round pick (according to the article) in compensation. If it doesn't pay off, they can cut him in training camp.. . .the_idle_threat

No problem, because then Ahmad Carroll can make that career change. . .

boxer. :)

Zool
03-02-2007, 09:18 AM
That flushing sound you hear is $850k of hard earned dollars from Jax fans going down the toilet.