PDA

View Full Version : For Mario Fans

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Williams: It has all led up to this Click here to find out more!

(Defensive end Mario Williams is considered one of the top prospects in the 2006 NFL Draft. As a junior at North Carolina State, Williams helped lead the Wolfpack to a 7-5 record and a shutout bowl victory over South Florida. Williams' 14½ sacks and 24 tackles for loss propelled N.C. State to a No. 8 national ranking in total defense. NFL.com brings you updates from Williams as he approaches the draft.)
Mario Williams video
Mario Williams

First Draft takes a look at former N.C. State DE Mario Williams.
Click here to watch

(April 24, 2006) -- I'm going to remember all the time that was spent for interviews, as far as being at the Combine and all the interviews there; all the tests, like the physicals. Then come a couple weeks before the draft I have seven more interviews. I did a lot of flying. I flew like every day, and I'll always remember that experience.

I can't remember exact dates, but my first visit was with the Detroit Lions. Then about a week after that, which was about two weeks ago, I went to Houston on a Monday and then the Jets on Tuesday, then Buffalo on Wednesday and the Titans on Thursday. This past week on Tuesday, I went to the Saints for two days and Thursday I went to the 49ers. And even though these were different teams in different cities, the visits all seemed the same.

I went from team to team and got a chance to meet everybody, get a sense on how they play the defense and where I fit in. Some teams had me doing physicals. I did a physical for the Jets with some installments, and they had me do the most drastic stuff. Basically I just got a feel for what was offered.

All seven teams that Mario Williams visited with run a scheme he would be perfect for.
All seven teams that Mario Williams visited with run a scheme he would be perfect for.
Everything is still up in the air. The way the business is, I'm not exactly sure what's going on. No one team stands out above the rest as far as a feeling goes, but with the Saints I really liked (defensive line) coach Marion (Hobby). He's a good guy and I think I would fit well into their 4-3 scheme. The one that sticks out is San Francisco. They don't typically run a 4-3. It's a mix of 4-3 and 3-4. But the technique they would have me play would work well.

I think I could do just as well in a 3-4 scheme. I saw with the 49ers that they want their linemen upfield in attack mode. There were a lot of two-gaps, so there was a hit and a shuffle down the line. That would be the biggest adjustment if I went there. At N.C. State, we got upfield and penetrated a lot just like the 49ers' linemen.

I worked out every day I wasn't visiting with teams. So the last time was this past Friday. Every day I was visiting with a team I was just doing that, visiting. I didn't work out. I'm really relaxed and laid back right now. I'm just waiting. I don't have a lot of anxiety or anything like that. Just waiting to see what happens, and that's about it.

I fly out Wednesday to go to New York. As soon as I get in, I am going to see what kind of festivities they have for us and things like that. On Draft Day, I'm just waiting to see what happens, and I'm sure I'll do a press conference with whatever team drafts me. I'm bringing my mom, dad, sister, brother, uncle, grandma -- pretty much the whole family!

-- As told to Seth Polansky

Tarlam!
04-26-2006, 04:57 AM
I say, he's a good 3rd round pick! :cool: