PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Released

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2007, 04:08 PM
With so many things happening lately am not sure if someone posted this or not. If someone has, just ignore.

Corey Dillon's request to be released by the New England Patriots has been granted, the team said Friday.

"On behalf of the New England Patriots organization, we respect and appreciate Corey Dillon's significant contributions to our team," coach Bill Belichick said in a statement issued by the team. "Those contributions extend beyond his individual on-field achievements and his integral role in a championship season. They also include three years of veteran leadership and positive relationships throughout the team."

Dillon, the club record-holder for rushing yards in a season, is now free to negotiate with any team.

The Patriots will save more than $2 million by releasing him now. Dillon would have counted $4.4 million against the salary cap had the Patriots retained him.

Dillon, 32, rushed for 812 yards and a career-high 13 touchdowns in 2006. Though he has hinted at retirement, Dillon said he would consider playing elsewhere as the featured back -- a role he lost in New England after the emergence of Laurence Maroney.

]{ilr]3
03-02-2007, 04:29 PM
I have never liked him since he was on the Bengals roster. All he did was piss and whine that everyone else was the problem and he wanted out. Whether any of it was true or not, it left me with a bad impression of him I cannot get passed.

GoPackGo
03-02-2007, 04:40 PM
This should drive down Ahman Green's price a little

Guiness
03-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Not fair ]{ilr]3

Seems to me Dillon was the sane one over there. He kept his mouth shut and ran the ball for some years, and only got fed up and started jawing when he could be considered a 'vet' who should be a team leader. He played for Cincy in the 90's for crying out loud - that would've tested Mother Theresa of Calcutta's patience.

While in NE he was no trouble at all from the day he walked in the door. Even this year, when losing his carries (and eventually his job) to a rookie, he didn't gripe.

I think his character is ok.