PDA

View Full Version : Clements to San Fran. DONE DEAL! HUGE MONEY!

gbpackfan
03-02-2007, 06:32 PM
CLEMENTS BLOWS OUT THE CURVE

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Francisco 49ers have signed cornerback Nate Clements.

It's a mind-boggling eight-year, $80 million deal, with $22 million in guaranteed money, and it makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

A league source tells us that, as a practical matter, it's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year.

Clements was expected to be pursued by several teams. But he never got out of San Fran.

chain_gang
03-02-2007, 06:35 PM
CLEMENTS BLOWS OUT THE CURVE

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Francisco 49ers have signed cornerback Nate Clements.

It's a mind-boggling eight-year, $80 million deal, with $22 million in guaranteed money, and it makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

A league source tells us that, as a practical matter, it's a six-year deal worth $7.25 million per year.

Clements was expected to be pursued by several teams. But he never got out of San Fran.

Damn that's nuts. Wasn't it a couple years ago the 49ers were trying to get out of cap hell? Well I guess they don't learn, and my guess is soon it'll be biting them in the ass again.

Works out great for Clements, and I'm glad we have the GM we have after seeing a deal like that on the first day.

BF4MVP
03-02-2007, 06:57 PM
I'd much rather have Woodson at 39M than Clements at 80M

Come to think of it, I'd rather have Woodson than Clements period...

J-Rok
03-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Ridiculous. These contracts are becoming so bloated.

Kiwon
03-02-2007, 07:14 PM
The FA spending in Baseball and Football this year is crazy.

I thought the economy was horrible, going down the tubes. Never believe politicians or the mainstream media.

gbpackfan
03-02-2007, 07:16 PM
It truly is amazing that football players make so much money to entertain us for 3 hours roughly 16 times a year. And the people that are suppose to protect out lives and the lives of our families, cops, firemen and soldiers, are paid so little. Kind of sad.

Okay, I'm off my soap box. The market pays what the market pays I guess.

RashanGary
03-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Stay out of this market TT. A signing like that is not worth the money at all.

pbmax
03-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Its a stupid total, but ignore the hyped numbers. If its under $8.0 mil per year, its not a record setter. A Guaranteed money record might be closer, if the guarateed numbers are correct.

RashanGary
03-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Its a stupid total, but ignore the hyped numbers. If its under $8.0 mil per year, its not a record setter. A Guaranteed money record might be closer, if the guarateed numbers are correct.

It's horrible no matter how you phrase it. 22 mil up front is awfull for a good but not superstar player.

I really hope TT stays out of this market. The way it ties you down is not worth the short term gain of improvign 1 of 24 positions on the field.

red
03-02-2007, 07:35 PM
come one people look at the real numbers here

he will never see that 80 million. thats a fluffed up number to make it seem like he has a huge cock

they say in six years he averages 7.25 a year. thats 43.5 million over 6 years

that means 36.5 million come in the last two years

he will never see half that money. he will be cut no later then after year 6. at which point the team would take no cap hit for cutting him

a good chunk of that 22 million dollar bonus should hit this year, maybe as much as half, because they can take that kind of hit this year. meaning a signing bonus of around 10 million, spread over 5 or 6 years isn't that bad.

this deal might not actually last more then 4 or 5 years. at which point they cut him and take a few million dollar hit

don't let the big flashy numbers fool you. in reality its not much different then what we gave woodson

motife
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Good luck with that.

Nate Clements play has not been all that great the last 2 years.

Packnut
03-02-2007, 08:18 PM
come one people look at the real numbers here

he will never see that 80 million. thats a fluffed up number to make it seem like he has a huge cock

they say in six years he averages 7.25 a year. thats 43.5 million over 6 years

that means 36.5 million come in the last two years

he will never see half that money. he will be cut no later then after year 6. at which point the team would take no cap hit for cutting him

a good chunk of that 22 million dollar bonus should hit this year, maybe as much as half, because they can take that kind of hit this year. meaning a signing bonus of around 10 million, spread over 5 or 6 years isn't that bad.

this deal might not actually last more then 4 or 5 years. at which point they cut him and take a few million dollar hit

don't let the big flashy numbers fool you. in reality its not much different then what we gave woodson

Some people here do tend to get caught up in that total dollar amount don't they?

Brando19
03-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Unbelievable. The 49ers are REALLY building their team up in just one day!

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Of course, well over 50% of big name FA signings turn into busts.

Fritz
03-03-2007, 08:05 AM
So if Nate Clements is that good, which Packer corner would he replace? Harris or Woodson?

Scott Campbell
03-03-2007, 08:11 AM
So if Nate Clements is that good, which Packer corner would he replace? Harris or Woodson?

Good point - Dendy.

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 10:12 AM
I'd much rather have Woodson at 39M than Clements at 80M

Come to think of it, I'd rather have Woodson than Clements period...

Thanks that means alot :lol: