PDA

View Full Version : Green IS NOT A BRONCO!!!!! I WAS WRONG THANK GOD!!!!

Tony Oday
03-02-2007, 06:51 PM
It was fun man good luck

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Where is this stated

Kiwon
03-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Whoa.....

BF4MVP
03-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Some caller on the radio this afternoon said he had heard that..I wasn't sure if it was true or not because there was nothing concrete and he was just a regular guy..

Tony Oday
03-02-2007, 06:57 PM
It was in the interview with Champ Bailey on NFL network just saw it.

J-Rok
Bummer. One of my favorite Packers this millenium.

If it's true, good luck, Batman.

MJZiggy
There's nothing in the news about it yet. Can't get to kffl, though.

Tony Oday
03-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Man I am looking to...maybe Champ was Champing on some green stuff? I know he said he was excited to have them.

Packnut
03-02-2007, 07:03 PM
The man is a class act and played his ass off for us. I wish him the best of luck and hope he has a great season.

Tony Oday
03-02-2007, 07:04 PM
HEll Im hoping Im WRONG!! I mean Champ said he was excited to have Ahman on the team he is a guy that has a history of winning.

pbmax
03-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I can't find this anywhere, PFT, kffl, NFL.com

Any confirmation?

gbpackfan
03-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I have checked Broncos boards, no news of this. However, when there is smoke, there's usually fire. Uh oh.

MJZiggy
03-02-2007, 07:17 PM
HEll Im hoping Im WRONG!! I mean Champ said he was excited to have Ahman on the team he is a guy that has a history of winning.

Are you sure he wasn't speaking hypothetically? As in 'he would be excited?"

RashanGary
03-02-2007, 07:23 PM
I would hope Green would call us and give us the chance to match before he signed.

If we lose him, that make Lynch dropping so much more important.

green_bowl_packer
03-02-2007, 07:35 PM
If this were true it makes our draft needs pretty obvious and quite possible that someone like the Giants or Jets could trade up and snatch Lynch in front of us. FA other than Ahman and Dillon there ain't much out there.

gbpackfan
03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Travis Henry is an interesting option.

Ballboy
03-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Broncos signing Green would surprise me. They were somewhat happy with the rookie last year, and yeah, they got rid of Tatum....but why would you trade Tatum when you couldn't have possbily known Green would be a FA?

I can see Green going to Houston.

Freak Out
03-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Speaking of the Bronco's...I heard Jake the Snake broke up the trade with the Bucs and might retire.

red
03-02-2007, 07:59 PM
i can't find anything about green signing

but this came out 2 hours ago

Report: Broncos seriously pursuing McGahee

The Broncos are seriously pursuing Willis McGahee, according to the Denver Post.
Keeper league owners cross your fingers. The Broncos will also host Ahman Green this weekend. He was earlier reported to be in Denver. The Broncos are also reportedly "determined" not to let Patrick Kerney leave town without signing. Mar. 2 - 6:55 pm et
Source: Denver Post

GrnBay007
03-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I sure hope this is not true. :(

SD GB fan
03-02-2007, 08:10 PM
i wud be surprised if green signed with another team w/o checking on GB's response first. he has said he wants to end his career as a packer. maybe denver gave him a great deal. also, broncos has been a borderline team year in and out. green might be able to help them out. but i want him back =/

GBRulz
03-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks for changing the subject, Tony :lol:

I guess I don't have much of a sense of humor about losing Green :cry:

BallHawk
03-02-2007, 08:42 PM

I don't think many of us do.

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I just got home and saw this thread. I was pissed when I saw the topic, but even more pissed that it's not even true. (that anyone can find)

He was on Satellite Radio today; didn't sound like a guy who expected to be playing in GB

gbpackfan
03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Green is a Packer. It should stay that way.

packinpatland
03-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Come on TT!!!! Do the right thing!!!!!!Sign the man!!!!!!!!!!!!

BallHawk
03-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I just got home and saw this thread. I was pissed when I saw the topic, but even more pissed that it's not even true. (that anyone can find)

He was on Satellite Radio today; didn't sound like a guy who expected to be playing in GB

What'd he say?

GBRulz

Green was? What did he say?

Seriously though, WTF is TT sitting on this pile of cash for? After seeing what these mediocre FA's are getting, i say give Green his $5 mil and be done with it.

MJZiggy
Well he should have done that before FA even started...

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 08:50 PM
very politically correct interview by Green; indicated througout the season the Packers have been aware his preference was to stay there. But no contract could be reached before free agency and now looks forward to seeing how he's valued on the market. Nothing really said we don't know; just seemed kind of cold.

packinpatland
03-02-2007, 08:51 PM
All this talk of Green not getting signed by the Packers, got me thinking.

What kind of message is the Pack sending? Come resigning time, they tell players to 'go shop'. This just doesn't sound right.

Someone of Green's caliber may not be easily replaced. I say, let's go with a sure thing, he's more than proved himself.

red
03-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Well he should have done that before FA even started...

yes he should have, like a few months ago when green had proven to be healthy

GBRulz
03-02-2007, 09:01 PM
I never blamed for TT letting Wahle, Rivera, Sharper, etc go. I knew we simply didn't have the cap room. I get that. But, IF we lose Green, any kind of faith that I had in TT will be tossed out the window.

We all know the kind of player he is, his work ethic, etc. I just think it sets a bad example for other players who are working their butts off for their big payday someday. The Packers need to take care of their own.

Bub
03-02-2007, 09:01 PM
I'd have to agree with the minority here. Sure having Green back would be ok, but not for anywhere close to 5 mil/yr, expecially for a back who averaged 3.whatever yards a carry last year.
I think GB went on a limb last year and signed him to the contract they did after the injury and how bad AG played before the injury not to mention his legal issues.

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 09:03 PM
I'd have to agree with the minority here. Sure having Green back would be ok, but not for anywhere close to 5 mil/yr, expecially for a back who averaged 3.whatever yards a carry last year.
I think GB went on a limb last year and signed him to the contract they did after the injury and how bad AG played before the injury not to mention his legal issues.

Let's step back a bit

Ahman Green came back from an incredibly serious injury and was working through it last year.

I fully expect him to be more successful this year.

Looking at where this market is going......(and I'm the one who kept saying 3.5-4MIL is fair), and the fact that we have no solid alternative, I have no problems giving Ahman 5MIL per year as long as it's a contract that they can release him from w/o major issues.

B

GBRulz
03-02-2007, 09:05 PM

Normally, I'd agree with you. In fact, just two days ago I thought he was crazy for wanting $5 mil. However, have you taken a look at the contracts these average FA's are getting? I guess it's the new standard now with the cap up so much. Green is a huge asset to this team, we need him here.

falco
03-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Green was good, but not great last year. I don't expect TT would let him go unless he knew he could find near equivalent value for a lower price somewhere else, and I doubt that means the draft.

gbpackfan
03-02-2007, 09:08 PM
You can't let Green walk without someone better waiting in the wings. The Packers don't have that. Is there anyone better available via FA? Not really. The draft is always a crap shoot. The more I think about it, based on the contract Fred Taylor got, a 3 year 15 million dollar deal isn't that unreasonable. Especially based on today's contracts and how high the salary cap is. Damn, TT can't let Green walk. That would be criminal!

Tony Oday
03-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Im watching NFL access and it is looking like Champ mis-spoke I cant find the confirmation at all I have been looking and watching everything.

All I see is that they are persuing him and he was visiting.

Tony Oday
03-02-2007, 09:12 PM
SWEET I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the scroll on the bottom it said he just visited with the Broncs!!!!

Screw you CHAMP you scared the hell out of me!!!!

pittstang5
03-02-2007, 09:16 PM
SWEET I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you learned a leasson? Don't cry wolf.......especially when it involves a Packer we all love.

Tony Oday
I will never listen to Champ again thats for sure!

red
we're not in the clear yet

CaliforniaCheez
03-02-2007, 09:20 PM
It must be true. I read it on the internet.

MJZiggy
03-02-2007, 09:21 PM
we're not in the clear yet

We hope you enjoy your ride on the Ahman Green Free Agency Roller Coaster Ride and enjoy the rest of your day at Six Flags Great America!

Bub
03-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm just saying our rushing attack was pathetic. I don't want to spend 5mil/yr to get that back again next year. Maybe half of that for him to be a second back.

I know we don't have a stud RB behind him, but AG is not that stud from a few years ago. Heck, both Herron and VM had more yards per carry than AG.

If someone wants to pay him that kind of loot...good for him. I don't think we'll miss him that much.

red
03-02-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm just saying our rushing attack was pathetic. I don't want to spend 5mil/yr to get that back again next year. Maybe half of that for him to be a second back.

I know we don't have a stud RB behind him, but AG is not that stud from a few years ago. Heck, both Herron and VM had more yards per carry than AG.

If someone wants to pay him that kind of loot...good for him. I don't think we'll miss him that much.

was it his fault, or a rookie o-line that was learning a new system, and sucked in other aspects of their game too (passing blocking)

Bub
03-02-2007, 09:27 PM
and both of our other backs had better yards per carry. Don't use the line as an excuse.

red
03-02-2007, 09:39 PM
and both of our other backs had better yards per carry. Don't use the line as an excuse.

morency was a third down back, he came in on almost all third downs

on third downs the d is usually playing the pass, making it easier to get off a big run

green averaged 4.0ypc

morency had 4.6

and herron had 4.1

Michael Turner averaged 6.3 ypc, thats more then a whole yard more per carry then the guy he backs up. so by your train of though. turner was the better back then LaDainian Tomlinson(5.2). and by a lot

in kansas city larry johnson averaged 4.3 yards per carry, while his backup michael bennett averaged 5.6

in queen land artose pinner averaged more yards then chester taylor (4.4-4.0)

Maurice Morris did better (3.8) then shaun alexander (3.6) and both had worse numbers then green

see a pattern?

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Herron looked like crap for much of the year; he had one great gamt to boost his stats.

Morency was inconsistent at best; a game by game breakdown would show him to be very marginal.

Green was back in year one from a serious injury. He's a much much much better back than the other two.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 09:51 PM
I'd rather have McGahee or try to make a deal for Portis than to have Green back.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 09:52 PM
PackNut posted that Green is a class act???? Do you think battering the wife/girlfriend is classy??

red
03-02-2007, 09:54 PM
PackNut posted that Green is a class act???? Do you think battering the wife/girlfriend is classy??

so it says in a police report somewhere that he beat his wife?

and i guess charges were filed by her?

and i guess she went to the hospital to get fixed up afterwards?

i thought i heard that the cops were called because him and his wife/GF were screaming at each other. and someone said in wisconsin its a rule when the cops get called for a domestic disturbace, someone has to go to jail. so they took ahman

i never heard about him beating his wife, or her pressing charges that he beat her

yet day after day you come on here and say the same thing over and over, that he beats the hell out of his wife

from what i remember about it, it was a loud argument, just like 90% of couples have from time to time

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I'd rather have McGahee or try to make a deal for Portis than to have Green back.

You'd rather give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for those guys than just signing Green ?

McGahee is not a good teammate and will try to absolutely break the bank next year. Portis, sure I like the guy. But I'd rather sign Ahman for money we have than give up picks for Portis.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 09:59 PM
McGahee is thought to be had for a third rounder.

Bub
03-02-2007, 10:00 PM
If you want to make compairisons....Morency didn't even have training camp. He came into a totally new system in week 2.

I can find some examples to prove my point too. All of these starting backs have higer yards per carry than their backups to name a few.

Frank Gore 312 1695 5.4 72 8
Michael Robinson 38 116 3.1 33 2

Willis McGahee 259 990 3.8 57 6
Anthony Thomas 107 378 3.5 19 2

Kevin Jones 181 689 3.8 52 6
Arlen Harris 49 158 3.2 20 1

Tiki Barber 327 1662 5.1 55 5
Brandon Jacobs 96 423 4.4 16 9

Willie Parker 337 1494 4.4 76 13
Najeh Davenport 60 221 3.7 48 1

Brian Westbrook 240 1217 5.1 71 7
Correll Buckhalter 83 345 4.2 20 2

This is beyond my point...I just don't believe AG is worth 5 mil....my opinion....that's all.
You do have some very valid points. This is far from an exact science.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Red, he's been accused at least two times and most battered women do shy away from filing once they can be talked down by their battering partners. Keep sticking up for him, he is real classy!

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 10:05 PM

on third downs the d is usually playing the pass, making it easier to get off a big run

green averaged 4.0ypc

morency had 4.6

and herron had 4.1

Not to mention that Morency got most of his yards in two games. One was against the pathetic Cards when both RBs got over 100 yards. The other was against an Eagles team that was 14th out of the 16 NFC teams in rushing yards allowed. Just 4 of his 91 carries was against the vaunted Vikings defense (4 yards). Stats can be very misleading.

red
03-02-2007, 10:06 PM
i gave all the mvp candidates from the last 2 years

that according to you, are not as good as their backups

mcgahee and a-train aren't a good example, they split a lot of time as the starter (mcgahee was playing hurt all year)

and i'm not positive, but i think buckalter, davenport and jacobs were all their teams short yardage brusiers (the thunder in the thunder/lightning attack)

we didn't use that approach

Bub
03-02-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't mean to make the arguement that Herron or VM are better than Green....they just aren't far off...and they are younger. I'm for spending the money elsewhere.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 10:07 PM
I want Ahman to stay.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 10:07 PM
gREEN IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST rb in Packerland since his arrival.

GBRulz
03-02-2007, 10:14 PM

About as classy as a guy who dumps his gf when she gets pregnant. Then he immediately starts dating someone else.

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't mean to make the arguement that Herron or VM are better than Green....they just aren't far off...and they are younger. I'm for spending the money elsewhere.

I look at it a bit differently. I assume TT will sit on a good 5-8MIL per year anyways so I won't wince if TT overpays him by giving up 5MIL per year.....even thought in my view his value lies in the 3.5-4 range.

I want Ahman back

Bub
03-02-2007, 10:20 PM

green averaged 4.0ypc

morency had 4.6

and herron had 4.1

Not to mention that Morency got most of his yards in two games. One was against the pathetic Cards when both RBs got over 100 yards. The other was against an Eagles team that was 14th out of the 16 NFC teams in rushing yards allowed. Just 4 of his 91 carries was against the vaunted Vikings defense (4 yards). Stats can be very misleading.

Take away Greens 70 yards scamper and his ave would be 3.7...so what. They played pretty much the same games against the same teams. These stats aren't that misleading.

How many games did Herron start? 1? I really don't know, all I know is that he had a 100 yard game that day. Same with VM....99 yards in the one game he started.

Again..i'm not saying that these bench backs are better than AG....they just aren't far off.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Funny, when did I say Brady was classy? Was a real stupid move but man o man does he get the hotties. I guess since you mentioned it, I guess I won't go there in regards to your favorite player. I'll stay above that tonight! :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Take away Greens 70 yards scamper and his ave would be 3.7...so what. They played pretty much the same games against the same teams. These stats aren't that misleading.

How many games did Herron start? 1? I really don't know, all I know is that he had a 100 yard game that day. Same with VM....99 yards in the one game he started.

Again..i'm not saying that these bench backs are better than AG....they just aren't far off.

They didn't get the same carries against the same teams. Morency got half his yards in two games. The Cards game was a small percentage of Ahman's carries. Ahman didn't get carries against the pathetic Eagles rushing defense. What's so hard to understand about that?

swede
03-02-2007, 10:24 PM

I look at it a bit differently. I assume TT will sit on a good 5-8MIL per year anyways so I won't wince if TT overpays him by giving up 5MIL per year.....even thought in my view his value lies in the 3.5-4 range.

I want Ahman back

My thoughts exactly. Even if he hits the wall this year the money would go to a guy who has already earned every penny.
(And I don't think he'll hit the wall.)

red
03-02-2007, 10:24 PM
its division III against the world tonight lol

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 10:25 PM
BTW, I'm not the one who used yards/carry as comparison between RBs. Somebody wisely pointed out that a third down RB should have a better yards/carry--as they are going against defenses prepared to stop the pass. Although Morency wasn't strictly a third down RB.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 10:27 PM
The market will tell us what he is worth, plain and simple.

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 10:27 PM

I want Ahman back

My thoughts exactly. Even if he hits the wall this year the money would go to a guy who has already earned every penny.

I keep thinking last year was Ahman's first year back from a VERY serious injury; he was banged up much of the year.

This year he'll be healthier

Bub
03-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Yea...the only 2 games he had more than 10 carries. What's your point? Green played AZ too and had twice the carries vm did.

I dont' agree with the "he played a weak team" excuse. I suppose Green played against all top notch run D's.

Bub
03-02-2007, 10:37 PM

I want Ahman back

I keep thinking last year was Ahman's first year back from a VERY serious injury; he was banged up much of the year.

This year he'll be healthier

I hope you're right if he resigns.

Good point about him already earning his money with the Packers....he was amazing in his 1800yd + season

well..this has been beat to death...time for some sleep.

Thanks for the debate.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 10:43 PM
For what it is worth :wink: Green is aying that he is in the best shape of his career at the moment.

red
03-02-2007, 10:45 PM
BTW, I'm not the one who used yards/carry as comparison between RBs. Somebody wisely pointed out that a third down RB should have a better yards/carry--as they are going against defenses prepared to stop the pass. Although Morency wasn't strictly a third down RB.

that was me

i'm that wise old man lol :P

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 10:45 PM
The two worst rush defenses that the Packers played this year were St. Louis and Philadelphia. Ahman missed both games. Both Ahman and Morency had 100+ yards against the Cards. So, in the games they were going against bad run defenses, Morency had 42 of his 91 rushing attempts. That's 46.1% of his rushing total. In those three games, Ahman had 21 of his 266 rushing attempts. That's 7.8% of his rushing total. Against bad run defenses.

Conversely, in the five games against the toughest rushing opponents, Ahman had 95 of his 266 rushing attempts. That's 35.7%. Morency had 14 of 91 rushing attempts. That's 15.3%. Against good run defenses.

I doesn't take a math major to figure out why the stats might be the way they were. It's also why yards/carry when comparing a backup to a starter with triple the amount of carries is useless. The backups (Michael Turner and Michael Bennett) for the two leading rushers in the NFL (LT and LJ) had better yards/carry than LT and LJ did.

red
03-02-2007, 10:46 PM
For what it is worth :wink: Green is aying that he is in the best shape of his career at the moment.

thats saying something, cause that guys always in shape

imscott72
03-02-2007, 10:54 PM

Of course he's going to say that. I'd love to have Ahman back too, but not at 5 mill/yr. He's 30 now and might be healthy for now, but obviously all the pounding takes its toll and the older guys get hurt easier. I think 5 mill is too much to risk on a 30+ RB. I'd go 4 with him, but no more. If he truly wants to retire a Packer, then 4 million bucks will be enough for him. 3 yrs, 12 mill...

the_idle_threat
03-03-2007, 01:27 AM

Of course he's going to say that. I'd love to have Ahman back too, but not at 5 mill/yr. He's 30 now and might be healthy for now, but obviously all the pounding takes its toll and the older guys get hurt easier. I think 5 mill is too much to risk on a 30+ RB. I'd go 4 with him, but no more. If he truly wants to retire a Packer, then 4 million bucks will be enough for him. 3 yrs, 12 mill...

With a $109 million salary cap and over $20 million to spend this offseason, it seems kind of silly to trifle over a difference of $1 million per year for a starting running back with Ahman's production, commitment and history with the team.

I still say pay the man the $5 million-per-year in a front-loaded deal and then we can consider the starting RB position wrapped up.

esoxx
03-03-2007, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't get too bogged down on rush defense and who put up what.

With our young o-line last year, any back over 100 yards was a minor miracle. :)

Can't wait to see if those youngsters take a big step in Year 2.

esoxx
03-03-2007, 01:37 AM
And T.O. -

Careful on putting up a thread saying AG is gone. Especially to the flippin' Broncos for crying out loud. Need to source something like that versus an impression from a radio interview from a player.

I know Champ Bailey's a serious baller but I didn't know he also has free reign in the personnel department for such inside information. :whist:

MJZiggy
03-03-2007, 08:32 AM

Maybe they should change your rat name to 'panic rat' for a few days... :P

GBRulz
03-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Funny, when did I say Brady was classy? Was a real stupid move but man o man does he get the hotties. I guess since you mentioned it, I guess I won't go there in regards to your favorite player. I'll stay above that tonight! :lol:

Aww bulldog... are we showing class by not throwing Favre under the bus today? :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Bub
03-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Ferggy is has been in the best shape of his life the last few years too. Maybe they work out together.

b bulldog
03-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I turned over a new leaf until the seaon starts. Everyone is fair game than.

imscott72
03-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Free agent Ahman Green has visits set up with Oakland and Houston.

It's still possible Green will sign with the Broncos, whom he met with on Friday. Denver has also discussed a trade for Willis McGahee, and may look at Travis Henry if he's cut by Tennessee on Saturday, as expected.
Source: Denver Post