PDA

View Full Version : Niners hit again... Sign lewis

packers11
03-02-2007, 07:48 PM
LEWIS SIGNS WITH NINERS

Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat reports the the 49ers have signed safety Michael Lewis, and that the Niners are close to signing nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin.

The Niners also have signed cornerback Nate Clements, arguably the top free agent on the market.

Ballboy
03-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Guess the Niners are serious about bettering the "D"

Packnut
03-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Guess the Niners are serious about bettering the "D"

D wins

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 08:06 PM
This is a guy I wanted the Packers to look at.

gbpackfan
03-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Hmmm, don't know what to think. Lewis lost his starting job last season. I wasn't really thinking the Packers were going to sign him. I would rather see them address TE, vet. RB and WR in FA. Read my signature and you'll see who should be starting at S next to Collins next season.

red
03-02-2007, 08:18 PM
This is a guy I wanted the Packers to look at.

i'd like to see these numbers to see if they're "blockbuster"

if these are modest numbers, i'll also be upset

he's one of the guys i thought would be an upgrade, but not a cap killer

packers11
03-02-2007, 08:19 PM
I like Hamlin / Grant better anyway... or hopfully pick up a good Saftey in the draft... (Thats why I want green to stay so rb is not the main focus)...

motife
03-02-2007, 08:19 PM
If Michael Lewis can beat out Mark Roman, both SF's safeties will be named Lewis, the other one being Keith.

BallHawk
03-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Hamlin is my Most Wanted FA. Hopefully, TT gets him.

The_Dude
03-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Micheal Lewis isn't that great in coverage which is why I didn't want the packers to sign him. He is more of an "In the box" safety.

falco
03-02-2007, 09:24 PM
POSTED 10:19 p.m. EST, March 2, 2007

NINERS SPENDING LIKE DRUNKEN SAILORS

On the same day that the San Francisco 49ers handed out more than $20 million in guaranteed money to cornerback Nate Clements, the team coughed up $10 million in guaranteed money to safety Michael Lewis.

Nancy Gay of the San Francisco Chronicle reports on the guaranteed money, and observes that Lewis hauled in this payday despite being benched during the 2007 season.

gbpackfan
03-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Christ did they over-pay for Lewis. Yahoo.com is calling Lewis a player who isn't even a starter anymore. Not that they know all, but damn!

red
03-02-2007, 09:44 PM
ok, thats too much for him

TT was right not to get into that mess

i shouldn't say that, because i would have liked to see TT at least try and see about him

but i'm glad we're not the ones paying that money for him

RashanGary
03-02-2007, 09:47 PM
FA is a mess almost top to bottom. Do any of the peopel on this site ever read the articals on how badly teams who spend big in FA do?

It's becoming a well documented fact that FA is not something that should be used extensively.

We're on teh right path. It's much like the tortus and the hair. We'll win but it will be a slow, consistant pace that gets us there.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 09:48 PM
very solid post

gbpackfan
03-02-2007, 10:01 PM
I still would like to see the Packers add:

FB Justin Griffith
TE Eric Johnson or TE Jeremy Stevens
A vet. WR
A vet. RB

This list really isnt over the top. The Packers need some help on O.

I don't really see the Packers going after a S. They are high on Underwood, believe Manuel got better and have Culver on the roster. Also, they may add Nelson or Landry via the draft.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Underwood is my starter opposite Collins next season unless we land a player via the draft or UFA.

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Underwood is my starter opposite Collins next season unless we land a player via the draft or UFA.

Coming off a Torn ACL, we'd be idiots to count on him being back at 100% the first year.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't know how anybody could feel good about Underwood starting. He looked okay in some preseason games. Big deal. Now, he's recovering from a serious injury. We have to get somebody to compete at that spot, or it can very well be a sore spot again. We're not going to be able to fill every need with the draft. We need to get a couple of good FAs. I still think Thompson will get it done, but it's a little discouraging. As long as Johnson, Hamlin, Grant, and some of these other guys are on the market, I'm not going to worry too much.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 10:14 PM
That is why we will draft a S in the draft and let the two of them compete. Hamlin is liked by many but has issues with injury. Do you want to pay him $7 mil per year tio get him here?

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2007, 10:19 PM
We aren't going to get a starting TE, 3rd WR, starting RB, DT, LB to challenge Poppinga, two CBs, and a starting S in the draft. Those are the needs. Not every one can be filled in the draft. While I tend to agree with waiting it out, I'd like to see some action. Chris Hope was worth every penny last year. That guy had a sweet year. We miss out on those guys. I wish we'd at least take a sniff. Then again, I'll be patient, but if we don't feel at least three of those needs in FA, I'll be very disappointed.

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 10:19 PM
That is why we will draft a S in the draft and let the two of them compete. Hamlin is liked by many but has issues with injury. Do you want to pay him $7 mil per year tio get him here?

I'd go after Grant and pay him the chunk of change. He'd be a wonderful fit.

red
03-02-2007, 10:21 PM
well said harv

Bretsky
03-02-2007, 10:21 PM
We aren't going to get a starting TE, 3rd WR, starting RB, DT, LB to challenge Poppinga, two CBs, and a starting S in the draft. Those are the needs. Not every one can be filled in the draft. While I tend to agree with waiting it out, I'd like to see some action. Chris Hope was worth every penny last year. That guy had a sweet year. We miss out on those guys. I wish we'd at least take a sniff. Then again, I'll be patient, but if we don't feel at least three of those needs in FA, I'll be very disappointed.

Harvey,

You and I were both enamored with both Will Weatherspoon and Chris Hope.
I completely agree we should be pursing these kind of players.

We could start with Grant.

b bulldog
03-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Youth is great in regards to UFA and that is one reason to stay away from Green. Witherspoon in hindsight would have been a mistake. Who would play the sam? The LB situation is solid and every team does have holes but some realize that spending a high amount in UFA isn't the remedy to all that ails.

Fritz
03-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Let's start calling San Francisco "Washington West."

Spending like drunken sailors - drunken sailors who are also on heroin.

Watch them be in cap hell in about three years, everybody out there complaining about how much they'll owe Clements and Lewis and whoever else they'll sign...

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Youth is great in regards to UFA and that is one reason to stay away from Green. Witherspoon in hindsight would have been a mistake. Who would play the sam? The LB situation is solid and every team does have holes but some realize that spending a high amount in UFA isn't the remedy to all that ails.

Are you kiddding ? Weatherspoon can play every LB position and has successsfully. Him, Hawk, and Barnett would make up possibly the best LB'ing core in the NFL.

MJZiggy
03-03-2007, 10:15 AM
B, I think you need a diversion. Who are the Dragons signing this year? Same rules as last year.

imscott72
03-03-2007, 10:28 AM
B, I think you need a diversion. Who are the Dragons signing this year? Same rules as last year.

Do you still have our team roster somewhere??

MJZiggy
03-03-2007, 10:31 AM
I think this is correct. B?

QB
Daunte Culpepper, Brian Griese, Reggie McNeal

RB
Thomas Jones, Reggie Bush, Mike Bell, Jerome Harrison, William Henderson, Jim Kleinsasser

WR
Terrell Owens, Isaac Bruce, Hank Baskett, Reche Caldwell, Demetrius Williams, Charles Rogers

TE
Eric Johnson, Brandon Manumaleuna, Leonard Pope

OT

Jon Runyan, L.J. Shelton, John St. Clair

OG
Rick DeMulling, Chris Liwienski, Russ Hochstein, Fred Matua

OC
Matt Birk, Greg Eslinger

DE
Brett Keisel, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Greg Ellis, Dwan Edwards

DT
Rocky Bernard, Ryan Pickett, Hollis Thomas, Johnathan Sullivan

LB
Will Witherspoon, David Thornton, Ben Taylor, Dexter Coakley, Isaiah Kacyvenski, Spencer Havner

CB
Charles Woodson, Andre Dyson, Sam Madison, Ashton Youbouty, RET/CB Allen Rossum,

S
Lawyer Milloy, Daniel Bullocks, S Mike Green, S Brian Russell, S Bryan Scott

K Ryan Longwell
P Jason Baker

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 10:33 AM

CAN WE TRADE FOR RANDY MOSS ???? LOL

MJZiggy
03-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Do we need him?