PDA

View Full Version : Packer's Best Bets At #16 (as of now)

The Shadow
03-03-2007, 01:14 PM
If I were Ted, I would be targeting these 3 players (all possibly on the board, in no particular order)at #16.
If all 3 were gone, I'd look to trade down.

- Lynch (we are going to need a longterm solution)
- Okoye (a young, smart, disruptive tackle to bring pressure up the middle)
- Landry (in reality, likely to be gone) - (would make the secondary really
formidable)

Players I'd like to consider later :
- Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee (the WR needed to stretch the field)
- Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan (tackle insurance)
- Eric Weddle, S, Utah (the instinctive type, downrated because of computer
measureables)

Lurker64
03-03-2007, 01:17 PM
If Landry is gone, I sure would like to take Reggie Nelson.

I think my top three in this draft are:
1) Okoye.
2) Landry
3) Nelson

That is, eliminating all of the guys that there is no earthly chance they drop to us (e.g. CJ.)

The Shadow
03-03-2007, 01:20 PM
It's been reported that Reggie Nelson is not the brightest of players.
A safety tandem of Nick Collins (also regarded as not the sharpest pencil in the box) and Nelson might invite trouble.....

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 01:30 PM
A safety tandem of Nick Collins (also regarded as not the sharpest pencil in the box) and Nelson might invite trouble.....

It depends what type of smart? School smart? If its that why does it matter so much, look at his tapes and you can see that this kid has talent and CAN play football. If he wasnt then he wouldnt have played on a D-1 national championship team

The Shadow
03-03-2007, 01:50 PM
True, but I worry about the mental aspects, as opposed to flat-out talent.
I'd like a SS with instincts & football smarts to avoid those pesky 'communications breakdowns' that so plagued us earlier in the year.

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 01:51 PM
True, but I worry about the mental aspects, as opposed to flat-out talent.
I'd like a SS with instincts & football smarts to avoid those pesky 'communications breakdowns' that so plagued us earlier in the year.

Okay well thats different than saying hes just not smart. i mean like i said its different to not be school smart and not be football smart.

The Shadow
03-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I've always liked the players with outstanding natural instincts, aka 'football smarts', and great college production, who get downgraded because they don't have the computer-ideal measureables.
Mike Brown of the Bears was such a player. Most likely John Lynch, now of the Broncos, was another. Going back in history, the Packers own great safety, Willie Wood, was a nobody until catching the coaches' eyes.

The Shadow
03-03-2007, 03:30 PM
I know have acquired 2 draft mags.
1. Pro Football Weekly
2. Lindy's
3. Sporting News

Anyone have a different one?

BallHawk
03-03-2007, 03:38 PM

They could always play "Where's Waldo?" together. That stimulates your brain. At least that's what my teacher told me.

superfan
03-03-2007, 03:39 PM
1. Pro Football Weekly
2. Lindy's
3. Sporting News

Haven't gotten any yet, but plan to get at least one. If you had to keep one and pitch the other two, which one would you keep?

Fritz
03-03-2007, 03:39 PM
My top three would be Landry or trade down.

BallHawk
03-03-2007, 03:40 PM
1. Pro Football Weekly
2. Lindy's
3. Sporting News

Haven't gotten any yet, but plan to get at least one. If you had to keep one and pitch the other two, which one would you keep?

I'd get Sporting News, they always produces great mags. I use their Fantasy Baseball Magazine and it's the best out there.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Dude forget Okoye.

We have like 10 DL on the team and several of them are solid players.

Our OL is also solid with a little bit of depth.

*sigh*.

No linemen please unless it's a late 6th or 7th round pick. No way you waste round one for a guy who will ride the pine.

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 04:03 PM

IMO Landry will be gone by pick 12

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 04:05 PM

IMO Landry will be gone by pick 12

Landry will most likely be gone by 16. Very slim chance hes here at 16. Id say ethier theres a good chance Nelson will be there and most likely Lynch will too. With Green gone i wouldnt mind lynch but i wouldnt mind nelson ethier

ND72
03-03-2007, 04:13 PM
These are my personal top 3....Marshawn Lynch, Okoye, and Ted Ginn. Telling you...all I've heard is we need offensive playmakers, and I'll fight you to the death, cause Ted Ginn is a playmaker. He'd instantly be our starting KR/PR guy, and easily be our #3 reciever, and a guy like him in the slot, against a LB or S...thank you very much.

RashanGary
03-03-2007, 04:20 PM
You're really warming me up to Ginn, ND.

He's just as explosive as Bush. He's not as big and there is even more durability concern, but he's equally explosive and dangerous. As long as he's healthy, he changes the game.

Lurker64
03-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Dude forget Okoye.

*sigh*.

No linemen please unless it's a late 6th or 7th round pick. No way you waste round one for a guy who will ride the pine.

Yes we have a lot of defensive linemen, but for all the DTs we have on this team:

1) Nobody is a special player or a playmaker. They're not bad, but a lot of them are just bodies that rotate.
2) There's not a pass rusher in the bunch, since we moved Jenkins outside.
3) We're still not that great against the run.

If you have the chance to snag a player who has the strong potential to be special and a difference maker, you take that player no matter how loaded you are at a position. Okoye is young, driven, talented, and really smart. He wreaked havoc against NFL caliber just at the senior bowl who were three or four years older than him. Give him a couple of years to develop and grow, and you might have on your hands a dominant physical talent, a la Reggie White.

Now I'm not saying that he's going to be like the minister of defense, but it would have been a shame to pass on White because you already had a couple of decent DEs.

I don't evaluate talent professionally, and neither does anybody on this board, but if what I've seen from him pans out upon deeper scrutiny, if I were TT I would trade up for Okoye.

The Shadow
03-03-2007, 04:32 PM
superfan :
Of the 3, oddly enough Pro Football Weekly is the weakest. I think they really rushed the thing out - before the Combine info was really digested.

KYPack
03-03-2007, 06:06 PM
These are my personal top 3....Marshawn Lynch, Okoye, and Ted Ginn. Telling you...all I've heard is we need offensive playmakers, and I'll fight you to the death, cause Ted Ginn is a playmaker. He'd instantly be our starting KR/PR guy, and easily be our #3 reciever, and a guy like him in the slot, against a LB or S...thank you very much.

Well ND, I agree in part.

You'd have to take any of those 3 with our pick.

Ginn's a big time return man and would solve a several year old problem at that spot.

"easily be our #3 reciever"

Ah no.

They might put him in that spot, but Ginn will need a lot of seasoning to be a Pro wideout.

I'd say they work with him at #5 WR, but give him all he can eat at both return jobs.

He's very green in his route running and general mechanics at WR, espec for the NFL,.

But if that guy is there at our pick, pull the trigger.

jmbarnes101
03-03-2007, 06:16 PM
My top three:

L. Landry
A. Okoye
M. Griffin

I know Griffin is rated lower than people like Nelson and Hall but I think he's the 2nd best DB in the draft behind Landry.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Dude forget Okoye.

*sigh*.

Yes we have a lot of defensive linemen, but for all the DTs we have on this team:

1) Nobody is a special player or a playmaker. They're not bad, but a lot of them are just bodies that rotate.
2) There's not a pass rusher in the bunch, since we moved Jenkins outside.
3) We're still not that great against the run.

If you have the chance to snag a player who has the strong potential to be special and a difference maker, you take that player no matter how loaded you are at a position. Okoye is young, driven, talented, and really smart. He wreaked havoc against NFL caliber just at the senior bowl who were three or four years older than him. Give him a couple of years to develop and grow, and you might have on your hands a dominant physical talent, a la Reggie White.

Now I'm not saying that he's going to be like the minister of defense, but it would have been a shame to pass on White because you already had a couple of decent DEs.

I don't evaluate talent professionally, and neither does anybody on this board, but if what I've seen from him pans out upon deeper scrutiny, if I were TT I would trade up for Okoye.

We did fairly well against the run last year. We didn't even have jenkin's most of the season. Ryan Picket did a great job and corey williams and Johnny Jolly also did well. DT's are not known for there pass rush, they exist for the run. The sacks they occasionally get are a bonus.

I just think waisting a first round pick on a position thats very loaded with guys That I feel are better and may make it so the man doesn't even make the roster past practice squad is a waste.

The Shadow
03-03-2007, 06:56 PM
If you find a player you feel can be a rare talent - you take him

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm leaning towards one of the WRs--if we don't get Moss, Lynch if Ahman leaves. Or a safety.

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm leaning towards one of the WRs--if we don't get Moss, Lynch if Ahman leaves. Or a safety.

Meacham really fits our offense.

I really like Landry, but he'll be gone.

Rastak
03-03-2007, 07:59 PM

Meacham really fits our offense.

I really like Landry, but he'll be gone.

Meacham is the guy I'd like to see the Vikes trade down for.....maybe 2 or 3 spots to allow someone to get Quinn.....that's my current dream draft scenario anyway......

motife
03-03-2007, 08:21 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net./si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0702/gallery.nfl.draftcombine/images/Mandarich_890424.jpg

BallHawk
03-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Son of a bitch, Motfie, why do you torment us?! Why? Oh, the humanity!

:wink:

BTW, somebody check if Red still has a pulse. He probably went into shock when he saw that.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 01:17 PM
This year, I'm finding it rather hard to completely 'root' for a single player for the Pack to get at 16.
Last year, Hawk - for me, at least - was the one player I believed (and still do, more than ever) was exactly right for the team.
This year, I find my opinion windsocking a bit.....