PDA

View Full Version : Todd McShay Chat

motife
04-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Kevin (Westampton, NJ): What are the chances of one of the top three Quarterbacks falling to the Rams at #11? Do you think that Linehan is bluffing to make a deal? Who do you see them taking?

Todd McShay: There's a decent chance. Leinart and Young should be off the board in the first seven picks. The Cardinals are leaning towards Cutler with the 10th pick, but they seem to flip-flop on an almost daily basis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
will dallas,tx: who you think 49ers would get with #6 and #22...do you think they will take hawk and cb if hawk fell to them or davis and a lb.??

Todd McShay: I think by trading back into the first round (pick No. 22), the 'Niners have given themselves the flexibility to draft TE Vernon Davis at No. 6. Davis is a freakish athlete with 4.38 speed. He should become a terrific weapon over the nmiddle of the field in the passing game, which will help Alex Smith's development.

Todd McShay: That means, with the 22nd pick the 49ers will address the defensive side of the ball. It could be any of the top DB's (Hill, Cromartie, Joseph, Whitner, etc.) or it could be NC State DE/OLB Manny Lawson, who is skyrocketting up the draft board and would be a perfect fit as a rush linebacker in the 3-4.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Travis (Canada): Todd, Is A.J Hawk not just another overrated Ohio State linebacker similar to N.E Andy Katz from a few years ago?

Todd McShay: Not a chance. I think Hawk is one of the safest prospects in this draft. Katz lacked instincts, which is Hawk's greatest strength.

Daryl Houston: Is there another team wanting Bush enough to offer the Texans a multiple pick trade for the #1 pick?

Todd McShay: No. The Jets showed some early interest but have since backed off. I don't think we'll see a trade in the top five picks.

Todd McShay: If anywhere, it will be at No. 2 with the Saints, who are still attempting to shop that pick. After that, there are rumors of the Ravens fielding calls for the 13th pick. They pick ahead of the Eagles, who like USC OT Winston Justice. Some teams interesting in trading ahead of Philly for Justice include Dallas (18) and Tampa Bay (23).

Todd McShay: Back to the Ohio State question regarding Katz and Hawk... for every Katz there has been a P. Johnson, Spielman, and Vrabel that OSU has produced. I think that's an unfair tag.

Frank (GB): If A.J. Hawk and Super Mario are off the board at 5 who do the Packers take. Is it Vernon Davis or Huff because the tackle position in Green Bay is fine we really don't need D'Birck.

Todd McShay: If that's the case then D. Ferguson would likely be the best value. The Packers seem to have more interest in shopping that pick recently, too. They could get some interesting phone calls if Young or Leinart is on the board when they go on the clock on Sat.

Henry (NY): I heard a rumor of the Raiders and the Jets trading picks so that the Jets can draft Ngata? Any truth to this?

Todd McShay: It's a definate possibility. Everyone is talking about the Jets moving up, but they are also looking to move down. They own 7 picks in the top-117 (first four rounds). By moving down they could add even more picks, which could equate moving up later in the first or in the second/third rounds. Regardless, the Jets need help at OT, RB, QB, DT/NT and OLB, so they can use all the pick they can get.

Carl (Memphis): Once and for all - which QB do the Titans take at 3?

Todd McShay: I know that the popular choice is Vince Young but I'm still sticking with Matt Leinart to the Titans at No. 3. The coaching staff (especially Norm Chow) is obviously leaning towards Leinart. I know that GM Floyd Reese makes the final decision but he needs to take into account that Steve McNair isn't coming back. Even though Reese may believe Young's upside is greater, it's obvious that Leinart can play sooner -- particularly with his former O-Coordinator (Chow/USC) as the team's current O-Coord.

John (Kingston, ON): Todd, what would it take for the Cowboys to trade up with the Ravens so that they are able to take OT Justice?

Todd McShay: According to the Trade Value Chart, the 13th pick is worth 1,150 points and the 18th pick is worth 900 points. That means the Cowboys would need to offer up a pick worth at least 250 points. It would likely cost them a 3rd round pick this year and maybe another 3rd next year or a fourth rounder this year.

Ryan, Houston, TX: Todd, what do you think the Texans will do with the 33rd pick? Any chance that they take a corner or an OT, such as Eric Winston?

Todd McShay: Assuming Bush becomes a Texan at pick No. 1, then the Texans could go after LOT Winston with the first pick in Round 2 -- as you suggest. They also could go after a DE like Tamba Hali (PSU) or Mathias Kiwanuka (BC) if one or both fall out of the first round.

Jon (Brooklyn, NY): There's been alot of speculation about K. Wimbley to Cleveland, but is #12 a little high to be taking him?

Todd McShay: I know he has risen up the draft board in a hurry but Wimbley is a perfect fit as a rush-LB in the 3-4 and his market value has been adjusted b/c of so many NFL teams looking for this year's Shawne Merriman (10 sacks as a rookie last year) or Demarcus Ware (8 sacks as a rookie).

Todd McShay: If Ngata falls, though, I think the Browns should take him ahead of Wimbley. At 338 pounds, he is a perfect fit as a NT in the 3-4. He could spell Ted Washington as a rookie and he also could be the future replacement for the aging Washington.

Chris, CT: Todd, now that the Giants got an unbelievable deal with LaVar done, do you see them still drafting a LB (Bobby Carpenter?) or going DT, OT (Gabe Watson or Eric Winston)?

Todd McShay: DT and OT are possibilities, but the value might not be available. Don't count out Miami WR Sinorice Moss. He could be a good weapon for QB Eli Manning, especially with his explosive speed after the catch.

Josh (North Carolina): Todd, any chance the Steelers take Mathias Kiwanuka with the 32nd pick?

Todd McShay: I don't like that fit. Kiwanuka is too tall and stiff to play the OLB spot in a 3-4. I think the Steelers are better off going with a FS (Jason Allen?) to complement Polamalu, a WR (Moss?) as a No. 3 in the slot or even a center (Mangold?) to eventually replace J. Hartings.

Todd McShay: And oh, by the way, if USC RB LenDale White slips to the Steelers he would be a perfect fit and a true steal at 32 -- similar to the steal they got with TE Heath Miller last year after his sports hernia.

Todd McShay: What is Sports Hernia, by the way? Is it just a Hernia but named Sports Hernia b/c he plays sports? I've always wondered that and nobody seems to give a clear explanation.

preston texas: what do the seahawks do?

Todd McShay: Load up on pizza and cross-word puzzles b/c they'll have about 5 hours to kill before they pick at No. 31. No, seriously, I think they'll be looking for the best available OLB or DC. Some possibilities include Miami DC Kelly Jennings, Fresno State DC Richard Marshall, OSU OLB Bobby Carpenter and Alabama OLB DeMeco Ryans.

Joe (Gainesville): Which Gator comes off the board after Chad Jackson?

Todd McShay: Probably DC Dee Webb -- third round. This isn't a good FLA class. DE J. Mincey is another possibility. I think OC Degory will slip to the middle of Day 2.

Jon (Buffalo, NY): Todd - Any chance the Bills trade down a few spots and pick up Winston Justice?

Todd McShay: I just don't hear of many teams interested in moving up to that area of the draft. If we have a QB like Leinart or Young start to slip, then maybe. If not, I think the Bills will stay at No. 8 and make a tough decision between OT Justice and DT's Ngata and Bunkley. Justice fills the biggest need but he has character issues that M. Levey won't like and he's a bit of a reach at No. 8. Bunkley is a better fit from a scheme standpoint (one-gap penetrating DT) but Bunkley has character issues as well, and the Bills worry about a DT from FSU handling the winters in Buffalo. That's why I've put Ngata in the No. 8 spot to Buffalo even though I like Bunkley more.

Jason (Tx): Where does VYoung go? Please don't say Oakland

Todd McShay: OK. How about Tennessee at 3? Or Arizona at 10? Those are the best and worst case scenarios, respectively.

Jerome (Detroit): Todd, what are the chances of a Miami (Ohio) University reunion of Big Ben & WR Martin Nance in Pittsburgh? Would the Steelers take him in the 3rd or 2nd round if available?

Todd McShay: I think it's a possibility. The Steelers are looking for a bigger WR and Nance fits the description.

Jude (The Big Easy): Todd, what do you see the Saints doing in the 2nd round if they are stuck getting Mario Williams in round 1, not like that would be so horrible?? Maybe Nick Mangold if he is still there??

Todd McShay: That's definately a possibility. The Saints also would have needs to address at OT, OLB and DC, so Miami OT Eric Winston, Alabama OLB DeMeco Ryans and Fresno State DC Richard Marshall would be some good options, as well.

Logan (indy): Sports Hernia is a groin injury caused by twisting injury to the inguinal canal. A regualr Heria is the protrusion of any organ through the muscle or membrane which normally holds it in place. I'm not a doctor, but i know the two are different injuries.

Todd McShay: Wow. Impressive work, Logan. Can anyone confirm this info? Any doctors in the house?

Tim (Orlando): Do you think theres anyway Chad Greenway falls to the Patriots at 21, or them making a move to get one of the top defensive players?

Todd McShay: I would be surprised at this point. Greenway was slipping for a while (especially after poor combine showing), but he has regained momentum recently. Teams love Ernie Sims' upside but worry about his lack of discipline and history of concussion(s). Greenway might not come off the board before Sims, but he's gaining ground right now.

Todd McShay: Belichick has a history with Kirk Ferentz, so he would love to get an Iowa LB like Greenway. NE could also get Abdul Hodge in the 2nd or 3rd round, which would fit a big need.

Todd McShay: As for the first round, the Pats are near the top of what promises to be a run on DB's. Some good fits could be FSU DC Antonio Cromartie and OSU DB Donte Whitner. Drafting a RB like DeAngelo Williams isn't out of the question if he falls to them at 21.

Eric (CA): What do you see SF doing with 22nd pick? Thanks

Todd McShay: Either a DB or OLB Manny Lawson (NC State).

Joe:(NJ): Todd, aside from Lendale White, are there any other big backs to consider on day 1.

Todd McShay: Minnesota's Laurence Maroney (6-feet, 217) isn't small. LSU's Joseph Addai is just about the same size. But otherwise, the answer is no. Most of the Day 1 RB's are smaller, including Bush, D. Williams, B. Calhoun, M. Drew, J. Harrison, etc. The next one in line would be Tennessee's Gerald Riggs Jr.... But he is too slow and is coming off an injury. I think Riggs Jr. will slip to Day 2.

Todd McShay: Wow! 2,100 questions in one hour. Good work. That's all for today. Thanks again for all the questions. I'll be joining Mike & Mike on ESPN Radio for Day 1 draft coverage (11am-7pm est), but I'll also be popping in for some chats on ESPN.com throughout the day. Everyone enjoy Draft Weekend 2006.