PDA

View Full Version : Anyone worried?

Brando19
03-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Is anyone else worried that the Packers have not done a thing since Free Agency began? I keep reading about all the other teams signing players or offering contracts to players or even scheduling visits, but nothing from the Green Bay Packers! I don't know...I guess it's too early to be worrying since FA began yesterday, but I wish our GM was more active.

TennesseePackerBacker
03-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Spending now usually means you overpay, and it's obvious the Packers don't think anyone out there is worth overpaying for right now.

Don't worry though, free agency is a long process, the Packers will make some moves with 20+mil

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm not worried, would you really want the packers to pay the type of contracts that have been given out the last couple days? If we only sign Griffin (FB) an Hamlin (S) in free agency, that’s to new starters and then you still have the draft. If every year you can get one or two solid starters from free agency that’s more than enough, I would rather build through the draft. Plus if you only sign one or two guys you will never be in cap trouble and can keep your own guys when there free agents, that why am so mad at TT right now. SIGN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Is anyone else worried that the Packers have not done a thing since Free Agency began? I keep reading about all the other teams signing players or offering contracts to players or even scheduling visits, but nothing from the Green Bay Packers! I don't know...I guess it's too early to be worrying since FA began yesterday, but I wish our GM was more active.

YES I'm worried

Brando19
03-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I understand what you guys are saying right now. Packfan...you bring up another reason I'm worried...they're letting Green go to a meeting in Houston! For crying out loud...Sherman has orgasms over Packers players...of course he'll get offered a high dollar contract and will probably be a Texan next year b/c we didn't resign him b/f FA began.

Rastak
03-03-2007, 03:17 PM

There aren't too many blockbuster free agents, maybe none, so waiting makes a certain amount of sense. It might make sense to strike fast if you want the one or two guys at the top, or to grab a specific guy you feel fits what you are trying to do.

I'm not one to worry worry worry that a guy might cost 2 mil more than he's worth. If you have the cap space who cares. They key is not to get tied down to a guy that turns out to be crap. There are ways around that.....see one Charles Woodson and one Fred Smoot (guys that got big deals but didn't carry a huge burden going forward if they sucked). You can guess which is which....LOL

Rastak
03-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I understand what you guys are saying right now. Packfan...you bring up another reason I'm worried...they're letting Green go to a meeting in Houston! For crying out loud...Sherman has orgasms over Packers players...of course he'll get offered a high dollar contract and will probably be a Texan next year b/c we didn't resign him b/f FA began.

Now that one you should feel free to worry about. They probably should have cut him a deal before it all began.

gbpackfan
03-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Worried? No. Who has been signed so far?

M. Lewis - pass
A. Thomas - he would have been nice, but we resigned Jenkins.
K. Brady - pass
Wes Welker - pass
Clements - pass (we have two good starters at CB)
Steinbach (sp?) - pass (like our young corp. of O linemen)

I really haven't seen anyone signed that I really wanted. I do hope they make some moves though.

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 03:22 PM

There aren't too many blockbuster free agents, maybe none, so waiting makes a certain amount of sense. It might make sense to strike fast if you want the one or two guys at the top, or to grab a specific guy you feel fits what you are trying to do.

I'm not one to worry worry worry that a guy might cost 2 mil more than he's worth. If you have the cap space who cares. They key is not to get tied down to a guy that turns out to be crap. There are ways around that.....see one Charles Woodson and one Fred Smoot (guys that got big deals but didn't carry a huge burden going forward if they sucked). You can guess which is which....LOL

Good points Rastak; it's not about if you overpay or underpay in the novice fans eyes.

It's about signing the "right" players.

BobDobbs
03-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm not too worried. I'm not really reading about ALL the other teams being super active in free agency. There are a select group of teams who have chosen to be very aggressive early. Most teams have not signed anyone yet.
The two teams that seem to be jumping in the ring big time are the 49ers and the Patriots. The Patriots have a lot in place, so they are the prototype team that uses FA to make a title run.
The 49ers are mismanaged at the ownership level. John York, the owner, is known to fans out here as Dr. DeYorkian, because of what has happened to the team under his guidance. He wants a new stadium. So he's threatening to move the team to Santa Clara and now he's spending big in free agency to get the fans (sometimes known as taxpayers) to cough up public money to subsidize a new stadium.
He gives out some TV revenue money, he gets us to pay for a new stadium which will bring him more revenue or make the team more attractive to sell. He's a punk, this is not a long term strategy. This is short term to win a few more games and a ballot initiative.
Other than that teams are looking at need. Tampa needs a QB. Denver needs a RB. Who knew? I do wish we were chasing down a safety that could actually run. That is something that could be addressed now.
It isn't a bad idea to build a team with financial intelligence mixed in with an occasional risky venture.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2007, 03:27 PM

I have never seen a guy as loyal as Green, that's why if we don't sign him TT should be criticized on this one. For God sake he going to our fan fest and he's not even on our team right now. 3 years 15 mil is not going to ruin us, sign the guy. Is he going to do this with our other free agents down the road? THIS TYPE OF MOVE BY TT REALLY WORRIES ME!

The Shadow
03-03-2007, 03:28 PM
What, me worry?

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Why worry.

TT waiting a couple weeks at the most is the best thing ANY GM can do. Have you even payed attention to the contracts out there on the table? There is NO ONE IN FA worth what Adailus got with NE. Not to mention Clements with SF as well as all the other offers laying on the table.

Teams have a lot of money to spend this year so let them go blow there wads and over pay for players that wont even come close to living up to there contracts.

FA market is very weak. So what if we let Green shop around. Green assured the packers he will not sign without giving the pack a chance to counter offer.

Aparently, Green has not gotten any favorable offers yet. Green will be back in green and gold because I bet we may make one FA signing for a sleeper like the FB out there.

Why not a Safety? Rumor has it there gonna try Blackman at Safety. Also, Underwood who has looked amazing isn't injured anymore and Tyrone Culver showed some promise.

Bassically, I think our answer at Safety is already on the Team.

BallHawk
03-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm perfectly fine with what TT is doing. He's doing what any smart GM would do.

Let's make this a fire analogy.

All of the GMs in the league are firefighters and there is this HUGE fire called Free Agency. Now, all the bystanders, we'll came them fans, want their firefighter to do something about the fire. So all these "firefighters" are rushing into the "fire." Only problem is that the firefighters forgot their equipment, also known as "common sense." The firefighters are so caught up trying to put out the fire early, that they forgot their equipment. Now there's this one firefighter, we'll call him "Ted." Now Ted looks at all those firefighters trying to do something about the fire, and just stands there and smiles to himself. You see, Ted is going to watch all these firefighters fight the fire, not accomplishing much except making the "fans" cheer. Now, once they are all dead, he's going to do something about the "fire" himself. That way he has less work to do and he isn't going to die in the "fire."

Does this make any sense to anybody or did I have too many?

Fritz
03-03-2007, 03:37 PM
All signs point to Green wanting to test the waters - if the Texans are stupid enough to throw five mil a year for five or six years at a 30 year old with an injury history and asthma, let them. That kind of panicky "ooh-we-better-throw-money-at-them" thinking was what got Mike Sherman into trouble in the first place.

And lots of the posters here who are clamoring to sign Green no matter the cost will be the first ones to join the mob that would form in four years if TT overpays and ends up owing a broken-down 34 year old running back five million for a season in which he can in no way carry the burden.

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Why worry.

TT waiting a couple weeks at the most is the best thing ANY GM can do. Have you even payed attention to the contracts out there on the table? There is NO ONE IN FA worth what Adailus got with NE. Not to mention Clements with SF as well as all the other offers laying on the table.

Teams have a lot of money to spend this year so let them go blow there wads and over pay for players that wont even come close to living up to there contracts.

FA market is very weak. So what if we let Green shop around. Green assured the packers he will not sign without giving the pack a chance to counter offer.

Aparently, Green has not gotten any favorable offers yet. Green will be back in green and gold because I bet we may make one FA signing for a sleeper like the FB out there.

Why not a Safety? Rumor has it there gonna try Blackman at Safety. Also, Underwood who has looked amazing isn't injured anymore and Tyrone Culver showed some promise.

Bassically, I think our answer at Safety is already on the Team.

I never trust the "we'll give you a chance to match/one last shot" motto.
Remember Allen Rossum ? He went into FA to explore under that premise.

If the numbers on Bennett are accurate that deal was fair IMO.

No excuse for going into next year with the safeties you mentioned above as starters.

I do like Culver
Blackmond has never played safety
Underwood, how is he not injured ?? He tore his ACL; speaking from experience he won't be back to 100% til his second year back from injury. He'll be working through a lot of kinks and pains next year. Lee Evans...Willis McGahee....and others provide examples of that

I'm not pleading for TT to go full bore; but would it hurt to make some visits happen and talk numbers with a few top guys ?

We have a lot of holes to fill

B

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2007, 03:46 PM
I think your kepping your sig for a little while B. :D

packerbacker1234
First off, your wrong sir.

We have VERY FEW HOLES on this team.

The DL is solidified. The OL is Solidified. Our Linebacking Core is solid. Our starting CB's and one safety is solid.

I think personally Underwood is our answer at safety.

Offense: Sure RB is a ?, but in the end I see green getting back with us.
QB: Favre and two young guys, good to go.
WR: There is a decent Core here. One more to take up a more solid 3 wr slot or possibly a number 2 would be nice, but not required.

There is no solid FA's in the market this year. The best one out there is prolly injury prone Stokely or Over the Hill Joe Horn. WHich, btw, TT did call Joe Horn if you must know.

I think we have most of hte pieces already in place. A few upgrades is always welcome, but there isn't much out there int he market thats better then the personel we already have,

Lurker64
Worry? It's been free agency for about 41 hours now. How many teams have signed anybody? I'm a little disappointed we didn't snag Graham, but there's not really anybody worth going after hard this year.

Also, really a lot of this "panic" is brought on by an issue of reporting. If the Giants schedule a visit to try to bring in a 3rd string LT? ESPN is all over it. If the Packers do? We're lucky if we hear about if before he's signed. Part of this is the reporting bias, and part of this is that Thompson really, really doesn't tip his hand.

Brando19
03-03-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm perfectly fine with what TT is doing. He's doing what any smart GM would do.

All of the GMs in the league are firefighters and there is this HUGE fire called Free Agency. Now, all the bystanders, we'll came them fans, want their firefighter to do something about the fire. So all these "firefighters" are rushing into the "fire." Only problem is that the firefighters forgot their equipment, also known as "common sense." The firefighters are so caught up trying to put out the fire early, that they forgot their equipment. Now there's this one firefighter, we'll call him "Ted." Now Ted looks at all those firefighters trying to do something about the fire, and just stands there and smiles to himself. You see, Ted is going to watch all these firefighters fight the fire, not accomplishing much except making the "fans" cheer. Now, once they are all dead, he's going to do something about the "fire" himself. That way he has less work to do and he isn't going to die in the "fire."

What the hell?!? I feel like I just listened to a trailer for the movie Ladder 49! :lol:

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2007, 03:51 PM

The DL is solidified. The OL is Solidified. Our Linebacking Core is solid. Our starting CB's and one safety is solid.

WR: There is a decent Core here. One more to take up a more solid 3 wr slot or possibly a number 2 would be nice, but not required.

There is no solid FA's in the market this year. The best one out there is prolly injury prone Stokely or Over the Hill Joe Horn. WHich, btw, TT did call Joe Horn if you must know.

I think we have most of hte pieces already in place. A few upgrades is always welcome, but there isn't much out there int he market thats better then the personel we already have,

I agree with not going crazy in free agency, but we still have some holes.

Pop.
Manuel
williams (good but not a starter IMO, either way need depth)
3rd Corner
WR
TE
RB

That's a lot of holes IMO.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Exactly Lurker. There is no worth while FA's this year. Most of them would be considered BARELY BETTER then the players on our roster as it is. Most of those FA "upgrades"being older players.

S we didn't make a run at Grahmn? So what. I think he got over payed as well and obviously if he signed to hsi first deal he wanted to go there all along anyways.

The FA market is very bare this year with any good upgradeable talent.

Those safties out there I don't feel are better then Underwood, and hell, Manuel could still be better then those safties out there.

Manuel had a good year before we took him too. He just doesn't fit our system. He is too damn slow and does not break on the ball. He is a run stopping saftey and we need a Pass stopping one.

FA Market is weak. Take the fullback for cheap for insurance incase Henderson isn't back and just live with it.

Use the extra cash to wrap up AG.

Brando19
03-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah...Packerbacker is certainly optimistic. There's a few holes to fill on this team. The Packers have a few positions that could use serious upgrading.

BallHawk
03-03-2007, 04:00 PM

What the hell?!? I feel like I just listened to a trailer for the movie Ladder 49! :lol:

That's how I got the idea. My brother is watching Ladder 49 in the other room right now! :D

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Honestly, the major thing I'm worried about is Ahman. The rest not so much. Hamlin or Grant or Stallworth or Eric Johnson would be nice. Hopefully, Ted's plan works. Seriously, most of these FAs aren't going to make a huge difference. I think Adalius to New England makes the most sense and should work out the best. Drew Bennett? Kevin Curtis? Daniel Graham? Jeff Garcia? Not a lot of these guys are difference makers. Steinbach is a very good player, but asking him to play OT might be much.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 04:01 PM

I agree with not going crazy in free agency, but we still have some holes.

Pop.
Manuel
williams (good but not a starter IMO, either way need depth)
3rd Corner
WR
TE
RB

That's a lot of holes IMO.

I don't see TE as a hole. What was the TE's main job last year? Block. What did we excel at with Bubba? Blocking. SO he had had drops late in the year and some fumbles. It wasn't like we used him AT ALL DURING THE SEASON until those moments.

I think it was all about how we used bubba. Had little to do with him not having the ability to catch and hold on to the ball. This year the line is more solid so I exspect to see Bubba stretch the field.

Besides, there is no upgrade over him in the FA or draft.

Corey Williams not starter material? Please. Cullen plays inside on Pass downs and DE on run Downs. KGB for pass downs, Kampman for every down. Picket. And we got some good depth behind those guys that don't see the field much. Johnny Jolly for one. He played solid every chance he had. We have good Depth and DL.

3rd Corner.Maybe we have that already Move Blackmon to 3rd Corner and put Dendy at 4th. Remember Blackmon was gonna be that third guy till injury. Lets see what he can do before I start screaming for us to spend big to get someone. Remember, were not going to overpay a 3rd CB. Those CB's out there will get bigger offers elsewhere.

WR. I am very happy with our core of WR's. ALthough I'de like another one out there for Play making ability, like McCarthy said we have the play makers already on this damn team. They proved it last year at many times.

RB: Assumign we get AG back were solid. Even without AG what is wrong with Morency/Herron? I mean really Morency looked good last year and Herron looks solid every time he touches the ball. In fact, with AG gone I'de want Herron to start.

Like McCarthy said, we can move between the 20's.True. Inside the 20 we sucked ass on 1st down. We can fix that with what we currently have. Things like underneath passing and TE's over the middel fix's that. During hte year, TE's were mostly blocking when we passed in the redzone.

Mix in the fact that Jennings could still be special and you get the point.

There are very few FA's that are upgrades over our current roster.

esoxx
03-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Manuel had a good year before we took him too. He just doesn't fit our system.

I'm just curious, what teams are playing a system that is suitable for a slow-footed, poor ball skills safety that's a below average athlete?

I don't want Manuel anywhere near the starting lineup when this team breaks camp in late August.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I also have to note, as it has been proven in previous posts on sites across the net, FA's rarely if ever make a damn difference to the outcome of the season.

Most of the Super Bowl Team rosters has 19/22 starters all being draft or trade. No FA's.

and the FA people on those teams starting are not big names just "ok".

Not saying like Woodson didn't make a difference for us last year, but really did we make playoffs? No.

FA's wont make or break this team and i am sick of everyone acting like they will.

There is no one is this FA poll worth shit except getting AG back.

RashanGary
03-03-2007, 04:09 PM
No need to panic. The youngest team in the league probably has the most room for improvement. Just everyone gettign a year better should bring up a notch.

RashanGary
03-03-2007, 04:10 PM
I agree. Lock AG up. 3 years at 5 per year seems about right after seeing what has gone down.

ND72
03-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I only read the first post, so sorry if this has been said a lot...but why is anyone concerned that we haven't signed anyone yet? Are there guys we could have used? sure...but 8 years $80 million for Clements? are you kidding me. I say good job Ted Thompson. You're signing quality guys the past 2 years and not over paying for many if any, and keeping our cap looking good. Give us osme good drafts, and we'll be contenders.

hawaii50
03-03-2007, 04:13 PM
i'm not panicking, but i do admit i'm antsy. i don't mind thompson's style because he has gained my trust, but at some point if you really want a player you're going to have to make an attempt early to get him.

i don't care about big names, but one guy i really do hope we land is justin griffith. if he gets away i'd be disappointed b/c ovie is already gone. i think griffith could really help our team, even though he might not be the "big name" guy. i think he could make an impact, and we have enough money to sign him to a fair deal.

Bretsky
03-03-2007, 04:15 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree; if there isn't much better than the personnell we have apparently we must be an outstanding team already :roll:

I'm fine with our DL; we'd agree there
Our OL is young; I think we need a solid vet but I may be being nitpicky here
We have two very good LB's are Poppinga is debateable

We have two competent CB's; it's silly to say we are set with the rest there

We have one competent S and guys who have proven nothing; to say we are set there is using blind faith. Underwood had a torn ACL for gosh sake; any research on playes who tore their ACL's will show you he can get back to 100% but it does not occur right away.

We have two starting caliber WR's; we are not set there

TE was horrible for us last year; we are not set there

We don't have a starting RB; I'd hope to sign Green too but until it happens I'm not banking on it

By your logic we are undoubtedly a playoff team as opposed to a team who beat one over .500 team last year in a meaningless game

I feel we have holes to fill and if you look at the list of available free agents you'll see many potential upgrades.

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 04:17 PM

wasnt a good analogy.

The thing is, in this age of Free Agents, your going to have to overpay. So instead of looking at there salary look at the player and say, Do we need this guy?

the_idle_threat
03-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Herron looks solid every time he touches the ball. In fact, with AG gone I'de want Herron to start.

While I agree with the general proposition that free agency is fool's gold and there are few (if any) guys out there worth overpaying for, you have abdicated a lot of your credibility with the statement above.

Herron has no business being on an NFL roster and he absolutely must be replaced. Whenever he touches the ball, it's painfully apparent that he is incredibly slow and has no burst. He was an unfortunate downgrade from Tony Fisher, who was no starting-caliber player either for the same reason.

Rastak
03-03-2007, 04:32 PM

wasnt a good analogy.

The thing is, in this age of Free Agents, your going to have to overpay. So instead of looking at there salary look at the player and say, Do we need this guy?

And what is an overpay? Someone mentioned ebay in another thread....great point. If I have a wallet full of cash and something I want and I bid what I can afford is it overpaying? If I'm poor as hell, then YES, I should be worried. If it's within my means, then who the hell cares!

I know some people worry about salary cap hell.....earth to fans, the teams in the NFC North are NOT teetering on it.

But if we overpay, we will land in cap hell! NOPE. Unless you structure the deals like an idiot you're fine.

Packnut
03-03-2007, 04:34 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree; if there isn't much better than the personnell we have apparently we must be an outstanding team already :roll:

I'm fine with our DL; we'd agree there
Our OL is young; I think we need a solid vet but I may be being nitpicky here
We have two very good LB's are Poppinga is debateable

We have two competent CB's; it's silly to say we are set with the rest there

We have one competent S and guys who have proven nothing; to say we are set there is using blind faith. Underwood had a torn ACL for gosh sake; any research on playes who tore their ACL's will show you he can get back to 100% but it does not occur right away.

We have two starting caliber WR's; we are not set there

TE was horrible for us last year; we are not set there

We don't have a starting RB; I'd hope to sign Green too but until it happens I'm not banking on it

By your logic we are undoubtedly a playoff team as opposed to a team who beat one over .500 team last year in a meaningless game

I feel we have holes to fill and if you look at the list of available free agents you'll see many potential upgrades.

I'm glad at least someone here lives in reality. Reading some of these insane posts make ya forget how bad the Jets and Pats kicked our FREAKIN fannies. I guess living in la la land and ignoring the facts make people feel better so what the hell.............

When ya read things like Manuel will get better or Underwood will be fine or Herron can start, it's like what the hell are these people smokin?

GrnBay007
03-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Not concerned about the rest right now.............SIGN GREEN!! :!:

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 04:46 PM

explain this

With the 2nd easiest schedule we only managed to pull off wins on

-Wins: Detroit Miami Arizona, Minnesota San Fransisco Detroit Minnesota Chicago.

-Loses: Chicago, New Orleans, Phili, Saint Louis, Buffalo New England Seattle, New York.

Times we blew someone out (more than 10 points): 4 times, Detroit, Miami, Arizona, Chicago

Times we got blown out by someone (more than 10 points): 6 times, Chicago, Phili, Buffalo, New England, New york.

Its just that we had the secound easiest schedule and we won most of the easy games. But theres deffinetley a problem when you get blown out 6 times. Chicago was the only team that we beat that was over .500. I think that stat alone sums up our need for more talent. Yes i recognize that we are a building team, we werent suppose to win that many games last year and we deffinetly exceded my expectations for this team last year but as a building team we still need to add players that didnt perform well last year. TE and Saftey are the largest ones. There are TE's that can upgrade that position and there are safetys that can upgrade that position.

DannoMac21
03-03-2007, 04:50 PM
I just hope something's getting done with the Moss deal.

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 04:51 PM

me too. Id be happy with Deion Grant, Justin Griffin, and the TE from SF in FA's and Moss. Thats All i ask for

hawaii50
03-03-2007, 04:55 PM

me too. Id be happy with Deion Grant, Justin Griffin, and the TE from SF in FA's and Moss. Thats All i ask for

That would be great. grant or hamlin, either or.

motife
03-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Ted Thompson did the same thing last year. Didn't jump in Free Agency until all the big names were signed. Then sifted through the remains for "value".

Rastak
03-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Ted Thompson did the same thing last year. Didn't jump in Free Agency until all the big names were signed. Then sifted through the remains for "value".

So what wins games? Talent or "value"?

Not picking on ya Motife, I love your posts and insight. It's just that unless a team is flush against the cap I'm not sure "value" is the be all end all.

If you ignore it all the time you get into trouble of course. But thet shouldn't drive your every move..in my humble opinion of course.....

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2007, 05:58 PM
I think last year worked out fine. The mistake was Manuel. Otherwise, pretty good. I just hope it works out the same way this year. I'd roll into the season with 2 good, new starters from FA--and hopefully the draft takes care of the other needs. I just hope the 2 good, new starters are at TE and possibly S. We really need a veteran S. There is only one standout TE in the draft. The problem is he isn't worth the #16 pick and won't be available in the mid-2nd. My wish list is TE, S, possibly Moss, resign Ahman, and hopefully find some CBs and WRs in the draft.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Herron looks solid every time he touches the ball. In fact, with AG gone I'de want Herron to start.

While I agree with the general proposition that free agency is fool's gold and there are few (if any) guys out there worth overpaying for, you have abdicated a lot of your credibility with the statement above.

Herron has no business being on an NFL roster and he absolutely must be replaced. Whenever he touches the ball, it's painfully apparent that he is incredibly slow and has no burst. He was an unfortunate downgrade from Tony Fisher, who was no starting-caliber player either for the same reason.

No buisness eh? I guess one start last year, 22 carries, and 120+ yards is no reason to be in the NFL.

No he doesn't have burst, but considering that AG used his burst ONE TIME last year it's a mute point in running back by committee.

motife
03-03-2007, 06:10 PM

So what wins games? Talent or "value"?

Not picking on ya Motife, I love your posts and insight. It's just that unless a team is flush against the cap I'm not sure "value" is the be all end all.

If you ignore it all the time you get into trouble of course. But thet shouldn't drive your every move..in my humble opinion of course.....

Was just stating the facts, not implying that I agree with what Ted did, or that it works. It's just what I remember happened.

How many times has he reiterated over and over that he thinks signing big name free agents is dangerous, not a long term strategy and he believes in building through the draft? No one should be surprised he hasn't done anything yet.

I doubt he does anything until the 3rd week of March, if we go by last years timing.

Again, I'm not endorsing this strategy. Just trying to state what it is. What he plans on doing with the $20 million is an open question though.

In his defense, New England went from 7-9 to winning a Super Bowl plugging holes with no names.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 06:19 PM
this is true.

Also to note, most of the "elite" teams in the NFL were built via trades and draft, not FA.

I tend to agree, especially this year, then big FA signings will not help us long term.

You know what would be a big FA signing for us? Prolly the onlin FA he is seriously looking at,

AHman Green.

jmbarnes101
03-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Re-sign Ahman, trade for Moss, and sign Justin Griffith. Bring in some street free agents or other free agents cheap and take your chances in the draft. Your young guys now have experience and will get to work in more camps. Those are the things that will improve this team.

wist43
03-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Not worried... the two best guys available either didn't fit the scheme (Thomas), or played a position that we're set at (Clements).

A guy like Griffith would be nice, but it's not like we're going to have to break the bank for him... TE would also be nice, but again, not a position that TT has to hotly pursue.

I would like to see him be active in upgrading the OL, however... I know everyone is giddy thinking that the interior three guys will soon be all-pros, but even if they improve by leaps and bounds, that will only get them up to average.

Those guys were brutal last year... was especially disappointed in Wells.

Also, improved depth at T would be nice. When Clifton went down for a couple of games, Colledge had to move out there... if Clifton went down for any length of time, we'd be in big trouble there.

That said, I know nothing is going to happen there... just a personal preference.

the_idle_threat
03-03-2007, 06:44 PM

No buisness eh? I guess one start last year, 22 carries, and 120+ yards is no reason to be in the NFL.

No he doesn't have burst, but considering that AG used his burst ONE TIME last year it's a mute point in running back by committee.

OK, I'll admit that "no business" might be overstating it a little, but lack of physical talent at that position is never a moot point. The team needs to get better at that spot.

And I disagree that Green used his burst only once. Burst is not the same thing as breakaway speed. Burst is the ability to accelerate quickly in the hole. It's what turns a small gain into an 8 or 10 yard gain. Green did a lot of that last year, and so did Morency. I never saw it from Herron. From what I have observed, Herron has pretty good vision and will get what he can when the blocking is there. But he doesn't accelerate through the hole and run downhill the way Green and Morency can, and he's not shifty enough to make people miss. With his talent, he can be no better than a below-average backup. The team can do better, and it should do better.

RashanGary
03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Nice post Idle. I agree with everthing from top to bottom. Burst, not speed is the most important qualtiy in a RB IMO and obviously yours. Herron has none.

Morency has a very nice Burst. If he wsa more durable, he'd be a very good back.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 06:57 PM
He got one start and did more with that start then most of our backs did all year.

Not saying he is an amazing runner, but I seem to remember Morency getting BENCHED for herron because when Morency actually got touched not only did he go down fast, he dropped the ball from arm tackles.

Herron does not have "explosion". He has good vision and he breaks tackles very well. Most of herron's runs in his career are 5+ yards. He is a tough runner. We don't need two of hte exact same back out there on the field. It's running back by committee. Aka: two different styles in one scheme for a good one two punch.

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 07:05 PM
NAME ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST

Ahman Green 266 1059 4.0 70 5 2 2
Vernand Morency 91 421 4.6 39 2 2 1
Noah Herron 37 150 4.1 19 1 0 0

Actually Morency had a better average. Herrons longest was 19 being beat by at least 20 yards on morencys longest. Personally from the stats its easy to see that Morency is better via that he got more playing time.

pbmax
03-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Patler was commenting on this in another thread, but timeframe is an issue here. Manuel was signed right away, but the date I have for Pickett:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2369817

was that it hit the papers on the 15th of March. What day did FA start in 2006?

Give this two weeks, then start to panic if you wish.

And I agree with the list of holes Bretsky assembled. I disagree that prime, first week FA is the place to look for the patch.

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Herron does not have "explosion". He has good vision and he breaks tackles very well. Most of herron's runs in his career are 5+ yards.

Thats why he has a 3.1 career average

Stat Overview Rushing Receiving Fumbles
SPLIT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
2006 150 4.1 19 1 29 211 7.3 16 2 1
Career 85 273 3.2 19 3 29 211 7.3 16 2 1

BooHoo
03-03-2007, 07:08 PM
It is to early to begin to worry.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
*sigh*

Thanks for proving my stat wrong.

Morency got his yards as a change of pace back from AG. AG pounded the rock. Morency slipped through the hole.

My issue with morency is I don't trust him. He fumbles worse then AG and doesn't fight for yards.

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 07:16 PM
*sigh*

Thanks for proving my stat wrong.

Morency got his yards as a change of pace back from AG. AG pounded the rock. Morency slipped through the hole.

My issue with morency is I don't trust him. He fumbles worse then AG and doesn't fight for yards.

Okay so can we agree that neither should be starting I like morency as a number 2. Herron would be extremely lucky to land a number 3

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Herron would be a lock in GB for number 3. He provides that solid guy who knows the system.

plus he proved if he has to be "the guy" for entire game he can temporarily fill that roll and do it well.

I also don't want a damn rookie starting for us either. 1st round RB's turn into a bust more often then a star. I am still sold on us locking up AG.

Charles Woodson
03-03-2007, 07:20 PM

Also he didnt get 120+ yards his season high was 106 on 20 carries
Please get your facts straight

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I apologize, i was throwing around his all purpose yards that game.

Forgive me.

Anyways who really cares.

This debate is on slowness in FA

Fact is this: we are 48 hours in. Way too soon to worry about anything.