PDA

View Full Version : OL Dielman to stay with Chargers

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2007, 04:42 PM
SAN DIEGO (March 3, 2007) -- Kris Dielman seemed all but gone from the San Diego Chargers once free agency opened, with big bucks beckoning elsewhere for the left guard.

Hours after being wooed by the Seattle Seahawks, though, Dielman agreed to return to the Chargers in a surprise move that took one of the most sought-after offensive linemen off the market.

The deal is worth $39 million over six years, with $17 million guaranteed in the first two years, according to a person with knowledge of the terms. He spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had yet to be finalized.

Dielman wasn't immediately available for comment. He was scheduled to attend a late-afternoon news conference.

Pro Bowl center Nick Hardwick said he was "pumped up, man," after getting a call from Dielman.

"I thought he was gone," Hardwick said. "I didn't think we were going to get him back. He called me and said, `Are you ready to make a run at the Super Bowl?' He was pretty excited."

The deal apparently came together quickly Saturday morning. General manager A.J. Smith didn't immediately return a call seeking comment.

Dielman, who made a trip to Seattle when free agency began, had said all along that he would like to return to block for LaDainian Tomlinson. Dielman's agent and the Chargers had last spoken in November. Smith had said the team wanted to see what kind of offers the 310-pounder would get from other teams.

"I want to stay here," Dielman said Wednesday. "They gave me my opportunity. I want to be loyal. But they've had a year to do it."

Dielman joined the Chargers in 2003 as an undrafted defensive lineman from Indiana. He was converted to guard in his rookie season and became a starter early in the 2005 season. He has quickly blossomed into a top offensive lineman.

Along Eric Steinbach, who left Cincinnati and signed with Cleveland, Dielman was considered one of the two top guards on the market. Leonard Davis of Arizona is thought to be the premier tackle.

Dielman's reputation was enhanced by the MVP performance of Tomlinson, who set league records with 31 touchdowns and 186 points. He also won his first rushing title with 1,815 yards.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer, who was fired Feb. 12 despite the team going an NFL-best 14-2, described the Chargers' line last season as "snarly."

Dielman certainly added to that image.

"He's the enforcer," Hardwick said. "He's our intimidator. No one really wants to mess with him too much. We're glad to have him back."

Lining up between Hardwick and rookie tackle Marcus McNeill, Dielman said he was proud when Tomlinson ran behind the left side of the line.

"Oh yeah. That's football. You against me. Let's go," he said.

Dielman has watched as several teammates have received long-term contracts, including Hardwick and right tackle Shane Olivea.

"Those guys are my friends and I'm happy for them," Dielman said this week. "I figured I did everything I needed to do."