PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 FA's. Where would Barnett fit? Kampman?

RashanGary
03-03-2007, 06:37 PM
1. Nate Clements, CB, Buffalo Bills: The Bills would love to keep him, but he's on his way out. The value is here, but he will cost a bunch.

2. Eric Steinbach, G, Cincinnati Bengals: He's started 62 games in four years, which is a lot of experience for a player his age. He isn't a power player, which would mean he needs to go to a team that throws the ball as well as it runs it.

3. Kris Dielman, G, San Diego Chargers: He plays with an aggressive style that makes him good in the run game. He will get scooped up early in this period, maybe even the first day.

4. Adalius Thomas, DE-LB, Baltimore Ravens: He has wonderful athletic skills, but they have to be used correctly. He probably can't be a full-time defensive end. But somebody will pay out big bucks for him.

5. Derrick Dockery, G, Washington Redskins: He is a young player who is coming off his best season. He is strong and physical and is just now hitting his peak.

6. Dewayne White, DE, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: With all the top pass rushers tagged with franchise tags, White will get a big-money deal. He is the right age (26) and played well in place of Simeon Rice last season.

7. Kevin Curtis, WR, St. Louis Rams: He's been a third receiver most of the time in St. Louis, but he has the one thing teams love: Deep speed. Look for Detroit to make a strong push.

8. Donte Stallworth, WR, Philadelphia Eagles: He has deep speed (averaging 19.1 per catch last season), but he has hard time staying on the field. He has 44 starts in five seasons, missing four games last season. He did have four 40-plus catches last season.

9. Ken Hamlin, S, Seattle Seahawks: This hard-hitting safety played 16 games in 2006 after suffering a serious head injury in a fight late in 2006. Teams will check his medical closely, but he didn't show any affects last season.

10. Tony Pashos, T, Baltimore Ravens: If a team is looking for a rising player on the offensive line, this guy is it. He played well at right tackle for the Ravens in 2006.

11. Patrick Kerney, DE, Atlanta Falcons: At 30, he is getting up in the years. That's a concern. Plus, he's coming off a torn pectoral muscle. But he's a great teammate and he plays hard. With a shortage of pass rushers, he will get paid.

12. Daniel Graham, TE, New England Patriots: In a league where a lot of teams are searching for tight ends, Graham is bound to hit it big. He is a good player, but not a great one.

13. Leonard Davis, Arizona Cardinals: He has the tools to be a dominant player -- especially at guard -- but it just doesn't show up. Some team will be lured by the potential and give him a nice deal. It's risky.

14. Cato June, Indianapolis Colts: June is a run-and-chase linebacker who had a big 2005 season, but didn't play as well in 2006. The Colts would like to keep him, but it will be tough.

15. Joey Porter, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: He isn't the player he was a few years ago. He didn't play that well in 2006, which is why the Steelers let him go. Plus, if they use more 4-3 under new coach Mike Tomlin, he doesn't fit.

16. Deon Grant, S, Jacksonville Jaguars: This rangy safety is getting up in the years, but he keeps his body in tip-top shape. He would prefer to return to the Jaguars, but only for the right money.

17. London Fletcher-Baker, LB, Buffalo Bills: He's getting up in the years, but he's still a solid middle linebacker. The Bills would like to re-sign him, but there is talk he has deals already lined up with other teams.

18. Luke Petitgout, T, New York Giants: He played well last season before going down with a fractured fibula. The Giants thought he was too expensive to keep around. Some team will pay him.

19. Drew Bennett, WR, Tennessee Titans He's never been a real speed guy, but he knows how to play the position. He will be 29 in August, so you have to wonder when he slows down some. He did average a career-best 16 yards per catch last season, which would mean not yet.

20. Shaun O'Hara, C, New York Giants: He came to the Giants as a free agent in 2000 and has played well. He isn't big, but he knows how to get the job done. He's feisty.

What if Barnett hits the market next year?

Did we get a steal on Kamp?

RashanGary
03-03-2007, 06:42 PM
I say lock Barnett up now. He's a very good player and would make so much more if we let him get to UFA. We do have the franchise tag and I'm sure we'd use it if it got that far but the best thing IMO is to lock him up now. If he wants 6 years 40 mil; give it to him. It's a bargain compared to Clements 70 million dollar deal.

wist43
03-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Actually, as much as I hate the guy, I think he'd be fairly high up the list...

Who knows, if he can to the level he did last year, I might even say resign him - I doubt it, but maybe.

RashanGary
03-03-2007, 06:47 PM

Who knows, if he can to the level he did last year, I might even say resign him - I doubt it, but maybe.

Holy crap Wist,

This list is pathetic isn't it. I was all about letting Barnett go because he'd want 40 mil but my god....That 40 mil looks like a bargain when you look at this list of duds.

the_idle_threat
03-03-2007, 06:55 PM

When the Franchise tag comes up in discussions regarding Barnett, I chuckle at the thought of you gettin in the jeep and driving up to Green Bay so that you can slap TT across the face. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barnett as one of the top-five compensated linebackers in the game? :shock:

Guiness
03-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Ouch! I would NOT want to be paying Kampman on the FA market this year. For my money, he's as good as D. White, who's the top ranked DE out there.

What's with three guards in the top 5?

One guy I'd stay away from is Porter. Always seems to be that when Pitt dumps a defensive player, they're done. There's a string of top performers there that have been mediocre elsewhere when it seems they should have something left.

justanotherpackfan
03-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Ouch! I would NOT want to be paying Kampman on the FA market this year. For my money, he's as good as D. White, who's the top ranked DE out there.

What's with three guards in the top 5?

One guy I'd stay away from is Porter. Always seems to be that when Pitt dumps a defensive player, they're done. There's a string of top performers there that have been mediocre elsewhere when it seems they should have something left.
Speeking of which, what ever happened to Kendrell Bell? He was pretty good but now it seems he's fallen off the face of the earth.

b bulldog
03-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Doesn't everyone who plays on the Chiefs D

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Looking at that list, Barnett would nail a 5 year 57 million dollar deal.

They may be waiting till next year for a couple of reasons.

If they lock AG up he will be around till he retires. If the Moss trade goes through our cap is cut in half. Pkus AG gives us just enough to lock up our draft pics. No money left for Barnett.

Then suddenly, cap increases, favre retires freeing up 10 mil. and we nail barnett with a franchise tage and snag him for a 4 year deal worth 5 mil a year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Good topic:

I say we re-sign Barnett right now also. A middle linebacker in this type of market will not get less than 8 mil a year. I say we give him a six year 40 mil dollar deal, front load it, and just be happy we have him.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I think in the end he will get it extended before next year. The pack just want to keep there options open right now with the most amount of cap space they can have.

With Moss still in the picture and potentionally having to give AG a bit of money it's best just to keep the cap friendly till the season gets underway then resign him. Barnett is not threatening to hold our or anything. He just wants to get payed and stay a packer. I am sure we will lock him up before 2008.

the_idle_threat
03-03-2007, 07:18 PM
According to this post:

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=5055&start=0

... the franchise number for linebackers is $7,206,000. That's before the new outrageous salaries from this free agency period. If Barnett gets tagged, he's probably looking at almost $10 million per year.

RashanGary
03-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I doubt it would be 10 mil. No LB's are really getting big deals this off season. I suspect it would still be around 7.5

7.5 for one years pay isn't that great when Barnett could be getting 20 mil up front on the UFA market. Clements got 22 up front.

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2007, 07:52 PM

Good thread. AK is 10 times the player that White is.