PDA

View Full Version : CB Smoot to return to Redskins

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2007, 08:01 PM
WASHINGTON (March 3, 2007) -- Cornerback Fred Smoot agreed to terms with the Washington Redskins, returning to the team he left two years ago before two tumultuous seasons with Minnesota.

Smoot will sign his deal March 4, when he'll also be formally introduced during a news conference at Redskins Park.

Details of the contract weren't immediately available, but Smoot's agent, Bus Cook, said the cornerback placed a higher priority to returning to a familiar team than working the free agent market for the best deal.

"He may have gotten a better deal by going somewhere else -- we don't know that -- but he's glad to be home," Cook told The Associated Press. "Sometimes that's more important than money."

Smoot tied a career high with 61 tackles last season, and returned his only interception for a touchdown -- in Week 16 for the Vikings' only score in a 9-7 loss at Green Bay. He missed the last game of the season after breaking his jaw in five places in a car accident.

Smoot has 312 career tackles and 19 INTs in six NFL seasons. He spent his first four seasons with the Redskins.

Also March 3, free agent offensive lineman Leonard Davis, wearing sunglasses and a Hawaiian shirt on his massive 366-pound frame, got into a white Mercedes to head to lunch with quarterback Jason Campbell, the man Davis would help protect if he signs with the Redskins.

"The Redskins are in my top two," Davis said. "It's between the Redskins and the Cowboys."

Davis and cornerback Travis Fisher were the two new visitors to Redskins Park on the second day of free agency.

Meanwhile, linebacker London Fletcher made his first official appearance at the prerequisite news conference. Fletcher agreed late March 1 to a five-year, $25 million contract that includes a $10.5 million signing bonus.

"I didn't sleep much last night with all the phone calls," Fletcher said. "I was too excited, because it's finally happening for me."

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I still don't understand how they can sign all these guys. It's unbelievable.

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2007, 10:46 PM
This has to be bumped. Read this:

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports free agent CB Fred Smoot (Vikings) has signed a five-year contract worth a total of $25 million with the Washington Redskins.

FRED FRIGGIN' SMOOT!

He got a huge contract two years ago. It was frontloaded. Two years later, he's cut and then signs this contract. This guy is an average player who is laughing all the way to the bank. We need the Captain Smoot avatar in here.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 08:57 AM
This has to be bumped. Read this:

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports free agent CB Fred Smoot (Vikings) has signed a five-year contract worth a total of $25 million with the Washington Redskins.

FRED FRIGGIN' SMOOT!

He got a huge contract two years ago. It was frontloaded. Two years later, he's cut and then signs this contract. This guy is an average player who is laughing all the way to the bank. We need the Captain Smoot avatar in here.

I know it's unbelievable that he got this deal. But what find more unbelievable is that the Redskins only had like 5 mil cap and they already have given out a couple extenisons and signed two high priced free agents. Were do they get this money from, they haven't released one player that I can remember. Maybe Palter can explain it to me.