PDA

View Full Version : Vikings brass has lost their minds...

imscott72
03-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe's new contract pays $18.2 million over five years. It includes $7 million in guarantees.

Insanity. He has 35 total receptions in four seasons and has averaged 7.2 yards-per-catch. Coach Brad Childress must see something that we and the NFC East haven't. He'll clearly be Minnesota's starter in 2007.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

jack's smirking revenge
03-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Brad Childish is the bomb, yo. How dare you quesstion his signings.

Pack_Attack88
03-03-2007, 11:54 PM
never heard of the guy!! lol......

esoxx
03-04-2007, 12:50 AM
I thought the Vikings had changed their approach to free agency and weren't going to throw it around like they have in the past.

Could've fooled me.

billy_oliver880
03-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Any info on this guy whatsoever? How does one get so much? :shock:

CaliforniaCheez
03-04-2007, 03:15 AM
This guy could break out and have 20 receptions this this season.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 03:17 AM
This guy could break out and have 20 receptions this this season.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rastak
03-04-2007, 04:39 AM
Brad Childish is the bomb, yo. How dare you quesstion his signings.

Jack's back! What up?

As for the dude they signed whose name I can't spell, I never heard of him either...LOL. He's been stuck behind Shockey on the depth chart. What I read was he has good hands and is pretty fast for a TE. That isn't really that big of a contract by the way. My understanding was Seattle and Minnesota both were trying to get this guy. Anyone who can hang on to the damn ball makes me happy......

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Thought this was funny. This is from Fanball--a site based out of the Twin Cities.

The News
The Vikings won a bidding war against themselves for the right to grossly overpay tight end Vinsanthe Shiancoe. ESPN reported on Saturday that he signed a five-year deal, worth $18.5 million. The deal includes $7 million in guaranteed money, and will pay him $8.2 million in the first season.

Our View
In four NFL seasons Shiancoe has 35 catches for 253 yards. He has scored one touchdown since 2004. The longest catch of his career is for 17 yards. He better be an AMAZING blocker.

Fritz
03-04-2007, 07:13 AM
The Queens are once again looking like clowns. A new owner doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Rastak
03-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Thought this was funny. This is from Fanball--a site based out of the Twin Cities.

The News
The Vikings won a bidding war against themselves for the right to grossly overpay tight end Vinsanthe Shiancoe. ESPN reported on Saturday that he signed a five-year deal, worth $18.5 million. The deal includes $7 million in guaranteed money, and will pay him $8.2 million in the first season.

Our View
In four NFL seasons Shiancoe has 35 catches for 253 yards. He has scored one touchdown since 2004. The longest catch of his career is for 17 yards. He better be an AMAZING blocker.

That's a good line......I guess any team that signs a guy before he makes other visits is bidding against themselves using that line of thinking though. The guy did have more trips lined up. I don't know much about the guy other than he ran 4.62 at the combine, not bad for a 6'4" guy.

Scott Campbell
03-04-2007, 08:08 AM
That's a lot of dough for a decent 40 time.

Rastak
03-04-2007, 09:41 AM
That's a lot of dough for a decent 40 time.

yea, it seems a bit high to me also. I did read that they front loaded it which makes perfect sense in a weak free agent year and having almost 30 mil in cap space.

imscott72
03-04-2007, 11:29 AM
That isn't really that big of a contract by the way.

:shock:

Rastak
03-04-2007, 11:33 AM

Yea, once I looked at it a little closer I'll admit it looks alittle high....but put it in context. You have 30 millions and you give this guy 8 this year and spread out the rest over 4 more it really isn't that big of a deal.

imscott72
03-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Yea, once I looked at it a little closer I'll admit it looks alittle high....but put it in context. You have 30 millions and you give this guy 8 this year and spread out the rest over 4 more it really isn't that big of a deal.

Yeah I totally agree you guys have the cap room, but that doesn't mean you unload a good chunk of it to some dude that hasn't done anything..Not saying it's a bad signing either, just a grossly high contract for an unproven.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2007, 11:49 AM
So they gave Kleinsaucer the boot for this dude?

Rastak
03-04-2007, 12:12 PM
So they gave Kleinsaucer the boot for this dude?

Most likely,.....they want him to reduce his cap number and if he doesn't he'll probably get the boot.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I have always hated how Kleinsaucer always seems to come up with big plays at the worst time (for the Pack). This new guy is gonna have some big shoes to fill.

b bulldog
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I'd take a long look at Wiggins. The guy looks like crap body wise but he moves the chains better than any TE we have.

MJZiggy
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Elmer Fudd moves the chains better than any TE we have.

Rastak
12-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe's new contract pays $18.2 million over five years. It includes $7 million in guarantees.

Insanity. He has 35 total receptions in four seasons and has averaged 7.2 yards-per-catch. Coach Brad Childress must see something that we and the NFC East haven't. He'll clearly be Minnesota's starter in 2007.

After a rough first year the dudes been outstanding. I thought it was a mistake last year but he gets some nice mismatches.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-12262008-1643731.html

"We are really happy for him," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. "He is a guy that had outstanding talent and abilities. ... When he had an opportunity to be the number one guy and have some things focused around him, well, he has obviously responded."

With 582 yards receiving entering Sunday's regular season finale against the Giants, Shiancoe is fourth among NFC tight ends. He's third in the NFL with seven scores, behind Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez and San Diego's Antonio Gates , the gold standards at this position over the past decade.

DonHutson
12-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Damn shame after a good season he'll just be remembered as the locker room penis guy.

MJZiggy
12-27-2008, 09:43 PM
You have to admit, it was memorable...

digitaldean
12-27-2008, 09:47 PM
You have to admit, it was memorable...

Glad that was you saying that and not Skin.

Noodle
12-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Damn shame after a good season he'll just be remembered as the locker room penis guy.

What?

A lot of guys have had brief fame for having a good year at TE.

But there's only one Locker Room Penis Guy.

I know which label I'd rather be known by.

MJZiggy
12-28-2008, 11:06 AM

What?

(only if it were impressive...you don't want to be known as that OTHER locker room penis guy. I was IN THE POOL!)

Noodle
12-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Fair point, Ziggs.

Having seen the uncensored photos, I'd be pretty comfortable with my place in the pecker order if I were Shiancoe.

DonHutson
12-28-2008, 06:54 PM

What?

That's another way to look at it. I stand corrected.

Bretsky
12-28-2008, 07:01 PM
As it turns out, this seems to be a decent signing

Everybody thought the Vikings were nuts for doing it

It's alright to overpay for a free agent............as long as you pick the right player

Teams that pick the duds are the ones that get burned by free agency

esoxx
12-28-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't think the Vikings make the playoffs without making the Jared Allen trade. What an impact he had on that defense.
The Vikings have actually hit nicely on some FA's, including Pat Williams, Winfield, Longwell, Leber, and Hutchinson.

imscott72
12-28-2008, 08:24 PM

After a rough first year the dudes been outstanding. I thought it was a mistake last year but he gets some nice mismatches.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-12262008-1643731.html

"We are really happy for him," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. "He is a guy that had outstanding talent and abilities. ... When he had an opportunity to be the number one guy and have some things focused around him, well, he has obviously responded."

With 582 yards receiving entering Sunday's regular season finale against the Giants, Shiancoe is fourth among NFC tight ends. He's third in the NFL with seven scores, behind Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez and San Diego's Antonio Gates , the gold standards at this position over the past decade.

Dusting off an old thread eh? Yeah in hindsight the signing turned out good, but at the time even you thought it was too much. Like esoxx said though, the Allen trade was huge for that team and put them over the top imo.

Noodle
12-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Dusting off an old thread eh? Yeah in hindsight the signing turned out good, but at the time even you thought it was too much. Like esoxx said though, the Allen trade was huge for that team and put them over the top imo.

That's the problem with FA. I bet nearly everyone on this board would have said the Vikes were idiots for paying what they did for Allen.

This attitude has always made me scratch my head -- the goal is to win, right, it's not to see who has the most cap room at the end of the year.

Zool
12-28-2008, 08:52 PM

That's the problem with FA. I bet nearly everyone on this board would have said the Vikes were idiots for paying what they did for Allen.

This attitude has always made me scratch my head -- the goal is to win, right, it's not to see who has the most cap room at the end of the year.

The difference is, when you swing big in a trade like this, you can lose even bigger. This wasnt a FA pickup at all. Viking fans have to be happy this wasnt Hershel Walker redux.

Also you might want to check the Packers cap room at the end of the last 4 years.

Bretsky
12-28-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't think the Vikings make the playoffs without making the Jared Allen trade. What an impact he had on that defense.
The Vikings have actually hit nicely on some FA's, including Pat Williams, Winfield, Longwell, Leber, and Hutchinson.

free agency :idea:

didn't we do that thing three years ago :lol:

Noodle
12-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, yeah, ya sackless pedant, I know the Allen deal was a trade, but the same thinking applies -- we are quick here to jump on any team for "overpaying," whether in draft picks (trade) or in cash (FA).

The comment "but you could lose" fits perfectly in the TT regime. Is this really the kind of thing you want on your tombstone?

Why risk to be great when you can be middle of the pack -- yeah, I could see Lombardi or Starr getting behind that.

But at least we have lots of cap room (we do) and draft picks (want to argue about that?).

Zool
12-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah, yeah, ya sackless pedant, I know the Allen deal was a trade, but the same thinking applies -- we are quick here to jump on any team for "overpaying," whether in draft picks (trade) or in cash (FA).

The comment "but you could lose" fits perfectly in the TT regime. Is this really the kind of thing you want on your tombstone?

Why risk to be great when you can be middle of the pack -- yeah, I could see Lombardi or Starr getting behind that.

But at least we have lots of cap room (we do) and draft picks (want to argue about that?).

Without the actual numbers in front of me, we have less than 800k every year leftover. I'm not saying you dont play in FA, but as far as fans are concerned, front office people are screwed no matter what they do. If they go for broke, some fans call them stupid. If they play conservative some fans call them stupid.

Thankfully they never listed to armchair GM's who would be lost from day 1 in the job and shitting their pants at the pressure.

Noodle
12-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Actually, Zool, I agree with you that GMs are in an impossible position. I'd like us to be a little more forgiving about chances taken that didn't work out. I never cracked on Sherman for signing Joe Johnson. If it had worked, there's a good chance the Packers would have had an SB shot.

So I promise, if TT drops some coin or draft picks on an FA/trade, you won't hear one word of complaint from me.

Oh, and about the cap room, I think the Pack will end up about $7 mil under this year. Check out http://cappage.timesfour.com/.

Bretsky
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM

Without the actual numbers in front of me, we have less than 800k every year leftover. I'm not saying you dont play in FA, but as far as fans are concerned, front office people are screwed no matter what they do. If they go for broke, some fans call them stupid. If they play conservative some fans call them stupid.

Thankfully they never listed to armchair GM's who would be lost from day 1 in the job and shitting their pants at the pressure.

Noodle hits it on the head of the "you could lose" or "overpay" fits right into any the TT regime so far

As Patler has pointed out, GM's can push money forward to the next season with loopholes and TT is a master o fit.

We normally enter the season with a shitload of Cap space before a frontload or two occur followed by some cap manipulation.

So Noodle is correct if he's saying we often go into each year with a load of cap space and a TT follower will be quick to point out it always gets used.......but often leave out part of it is finding loopholes to use it so you have more next year.........and then again next year..........and then again next year

BZnDallas
12-28-2008, 11:18 PM
this may sound a bit absurd (sp?) and i might not explain it the way i'm thinking it, but with the manipulation of the cap space that TT does and since he doesn't spend all of the money is it possible that he is trying to save some of that money (not cap space but actual $) for when the nfl has the un-capped years of play?... i guess what i'm trying to say is since the organization is not spending all the money, even though it may be available, can he bank some and wait until there is no cap?...

does that make any sense?

Bretsky
12-29-2008, 12:39 AM
this may sound a bit absurd (sp?) and i might not explain it the way i'm thinking it, but with the manipulation of the cap space that TT does and since he doesn't spend all of the money is it possible that he is trying to save some of that money (not cap space but actual $) for when the nfl has the un-capped years of play?... i guess what i'm trying to say is since the organization is not spending all the money, even though it may be available, can he bank some and wait until there is no cap?...

does that make any sense?

He can't push it years ahead; a good portion of the time he tries to extend contracts and count a big chunk in the current year's cap. For instance, this year we extended AROD and since going into the year we didn't have close the cap spent he structured the deal so a lot of it would hit this year's cap. If you are thinking he's going conservative for the long term interest that might be. But he does usually end up spending about all of it

Noodle
12-29-2008, 12:59 AM
I read BZ as saying that maybe TT isn't really worried about cap space as much as he's worried about cash on hand, which he'll need a ton of in case we go to a capless world.

In a cap world, saving money would not make sense, given revenue sharing and the Pack's revenue streams. If we go capless, then any nickles and dimes that TT may have saved won't be near enough to save us.

It's an interesting question. I really think that TT is simply conservative and hates, and I mean HATES, the thought of other people thinking he spent too much money or draft picks on a guy. It's not like he never ponies up -- he has, a number of times, but he does not come with overwhelming force.

Partial
12-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Not trying to stir anything up, but this thread makes me think of A-Rods big contract. Hopefully they get their money's worth like the Vikes have outta Shianco.

BZnDallas
12-29-2008, 01:12 AM
thanx noodle, thats what i was trying to get across... but i think it is more than nickles and dimes... i mean millions here and millions there is better than nothing... and with lambeau being redone that should help... if it gets down to it the pack could always sell those stock certificates like they did a number of years ago which always stay the same no matter what the economy does... just a way of getting more money... who knows!...lol... just one mans opinion

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Shiancoe was a bust last year and the early part of this season, but he's played really well the second half of this year. Having AP opens things up for a guy like Shiancoe, and he's taking advantage.

Rastak
12-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Shiancoe was a bust last year and the early part of this season, but he's played really well the second half of this year. Having AP opens things up for a guy like Shiancoe, and he's taking advantage.

It's because he's hanging on to the damn thing. AP helps because teams commit safeties to the run and he outruns most linebackers and has developed a feel for seams in coverage. He's really done a great job hanging on to the ball, even in traffic.

imscott72
12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Not trying to stir anything up, but this thread makes me think of A-Rods big contract. Hopefully they get their money's worth like the Vikes have outta Shianco.

Well if Arod performs every year like this one I think we'll get a nice return on the investment.