PDA

View Full Version : OT: NFL suspends Williams for 2006 season

CyclonePackFan
04-25-2006, 07:14 PM
What a waste of talent...

From SI.com:

MIAMI (AP) -- Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams was suspended for the 2006 season by the NFL on Tuesday for violating the league's substance abuse policy for the fourth time.

The league announced the suspension after Williams' appeal of his latest positive drug test was denied. Williams met with NFL counsel Jeff Pash on April 10 in an attempt to have the league overturn the test.

"I'm disappointed with the decision, but I respect it," Williams said in a statement released by the Dolphins. "I'm proud of my association with the National Football League and look forward to returning to the Dolphins in 2007."

Previous positive tests were for marijuana, which Williams acknowledged using. The latest test apparently involved a drug other than marijuana.

The 1998 Heisman Trophy winner and 2002 NFL rushing champion, Williams retired and sat out the 2004 season, then returned last year to play for new Miami coach Nick Saban.

He served a four-game suspension at the start of the 2005 season for his third violation of the drug program, then ran for 743 yards and averaged 4.4 yards a carry while sharing playing time with rookie Ronnie Brown.

News that Williams had failed another drug test surfaced in February, while he was in India studying yoga and holistic medicine.

Saban repeatedly has praised Williams' conduct and performance last season and supported him in the appeal process.

"This is a league decision, and we are disappointed in what it means for Ricky and the team," Saban said in a statement. "Ricky did an outstanding job for the Dolphins, not only as a player but also what he added as a person to the team's chemistry and to our overall success."

The suspension represents a financial blow for Williams, who owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he retired in 2004. His return to the NFL was motivated partly by the need for a paycheck.

It's possible the suspension could mean the end of the mercurial running back's career. If he tries to return in 2007, he'll be 30 years old and will have played a total of 12 games in the previous three seasons.

oregonpackfan
04-25-2006, 07:18 PM
This is indeed a sorry waste of athletic talent. I hope he gets into a treatment program to help him turn his life around.

Oregonpackfan

Charles Woodson
04-25-2006, 07:22 PM
I can already tell you that miami (the city) is pissed off. My neghbor, a huge fins fan, i heard scream when he read it

Kiwon
04-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Fourth violation of the NFL's drug policy......Gee, I wonder which vocation Ricky will turn to in order to make money while he's suspended?

GrnBay007
04-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Fourth violation of the NFL's drug policy......Gee, I wonder which vocation Ricky will turn to in order to make money while he's suspended?

You silly.....yoga and holistic medicine of course!!!!! lol :razz:

billy_oliver880
04-25-2006, 08:26 PM

He's going to join the circus silly!

Partial
04-25-2006, 08:58 PM
I wonder what it was since it was pot?

my guess is it was something that he didn't use to get high. My guess is he took some "performancer enhancer" that the olympics bans like sudafed or some shit like that. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm thinking that if he was in India studying holistic medicines, there actually is a legit chance--albeit a small one--that he was studying herbs and used one in a tea or compound that either he didn't know to be banned or gave off a byproduct that was banned.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2006, 09:15 PM
my guess is it was something that he didn't use to get high. My guess is he took some "performancer enhancer" that the olympics bans like sudafed or some shit like that. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

He claimed it was some herb, not marijuana, and it apparently had some sort of narcotics or stimulants. His coach, Saban, says he believes him. Really, just a detail. Drugs are drugs.

Ricky Williams likes to dabble in drugs, seems like he needs them. I don't think his "character" should be any more in question than that of alchoholic Ray Nitschke. Or Brett Favre. Same deal.

potsdam_11
04-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Geez Harlan...

Are you suggesting that Alcohol is a drug too? .. That's really cold.. you've just condemned the Packer Nation to rehab.. :D

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Is alchohol a drug? It is if it's used right. (sorry, woody allen)

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 09:33 PM
The difference between Williams and Favre is that Favre rehabbed and cleaned up. Favre never abused again and was never censured. Was there even a substance abuse policy in place when Nitschke played? It's not his character that's in question. It's his career.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I doubt that Ricky William's drug problem is severe compared to an alchoholic or vicodin addict. And yes, many people have attacked Ricky William's character because he didn't resist the temptation.

He was especially foolish, he probably guessed that whatever drug he was taking would not be tested for.

Guiness
04-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Did he ever have to pay back that $8mil to the 'Fins? I know they won the judgement, but then he 'un' retired, and I never heard any more about it.

Partial
04-25-2006, 09:41 PM
When are these league's going to stop being ridiculous and stop testing for weed?

Nothing positive comes from it. All it does it put publicity about role models doing it and making a lot of money and being "successful". Dumb dumb dumb.

If they didn't test for it, it would NEVER be mentioned and have a much better impact on our youth.

CyclonePackFan
04-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Did he ever have to pay back that $8mil to the 'Fins? I know they won the judgement, but then he 'un' retired, and I never heard any more about it.

Yes, he still owes Miami $8 million.

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Williams got high?

I don't buy it. Not that guy.