PDA

View Full Version : Moss to Packers Talk Heating Up

motife
03-04-2007, 10:25 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

"POSTED 11:22 a.m. EST, March 4, 2007
MOSS-TO-PACKERS TALK HEATING UP

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the Oakland Raiders and the Green Bay Packers are continuing to work toward a trade that would send Randy Moss to the place at which he pretended to moon the home fans two years ago.

As we reported a few days ago, the Raiders wanted a first-round pick. The Packers offered quarterback Aaron Rodgers. The talks were on hold while the Raiders courted Jeff Garcia. Now, the talk has resumed, and we're told that it will likely be either Rodgers or a second-round pick that goes to Oakland for Moss.

Stay tuned. Other teams still possibly in the mix are the Jags and the suddenly Redskinesque Patriots."

Note : The Jaguars just signed WR Dennis Northcutt.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Please be Rodgers. I want all our draft picks this year.

Brando19
03-04-2007, 10:41 AM
I CAN'T TAKE THE ANTICIPATION ANYMORE!!!!!!!!! Something needs to go down!

packers11
03-04-2007, 10:44 AM

I hope its Rodgers too... I just don't see "it" in him...

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 10:47 AM

I hope its Rodgers too... I just don't see "it" in him...

Neither do I, I have a feeling that if we trade Rodgers for him it may turn to be a steal for us.

ND72
03-04-2007, 11:32 AM
yeah it'll be a steal for us....Moss will play probably 2 more years, of which he won't be any good. And Rodgers will be in the league for at least 10 more years, and who knows what he'll be like. If he's not any good, then advantage push, but if he turns out, we get shot in the ass, cause then when Favre retires, we have no replacement. And the fact is, Rodgers is the replacement even you guys don't like it, cause it's not any of our decision. One more guy, namely Randy Moss, for 2 season maybe, isn't gonna do shit for us. What are you all gonna say when him and Favre are both gone? then what? I'm sorry, but I don't wanna give up Rodgers, or a 2nd round pick, for hopefully 2 years of "okness".

imscott72
03-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Lets think about this for a second. If we unload Rodgers, does this mean Brett plans on playing for a few more years? He can't hardly be done this year. What would we have? Assuming we draft a QB with our first, assuming we don't trade up, what are we going to get? We'd have to trade for someone. The cupboard would be extremely bare if Brett were to hang it up after this season. Aaron's been around for a few years and knows the system. Thoughts?

Rastak
03-04-2007, 11:38 AM
From the boston globe:

Meanwhile in Oakland, many people believe Moss tanked much of last season because he didn't like quarterback Aaron Brooks. At one point, Moss asked to be traded, and when that didn't happen, the Raiders believe he went through the motions the rest of the year.

If true, that calls into question Moss's professionalism. Whatever the reason, according to Stats Inc., Moss dropped eight of 97 targeted throws last year or 8.5 percent of the passes thrown to him. In his three previous seasons, he dropped just 14 of 381, or 3.7 percent.

He sat out the final three games with an ankle injury of disputed severity. Now the Raiders are trying to unload him for a second-round pick.

Chiefs president Carl Peterson said, "It's everyone's fault except his. I thought Art [Shell] really tried to work hard this year to make him a leader, but that's not his personality.

"He's never done anything to hurt the Chiefs. He was a great talent but you can't play at that [current] level for a while and come back."

In other words, at least one team that has seen Moss play regularly the past few years believes he's finished. A goodly portion of the personnel men in the Raider organization -- although not all -- believe Moss has lost a step and will never again be the explosive touchdown-maker he once was.

KYPack
03-04-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm in ND's corner on this one.

I have my doubts about Rodgers, ya just don't know about that guy.

Moss, I have NO doubts that boy's on the downslope of his career. I saw him live last season & I was real underwhelmed. He took off plays, rounded, and quit on routes, and sulked like a little bitch when he didn't get the ball.

This is a great trade in '03. We aren't "one player short" anymore. We need more players to fill the holes. Yeah there is a hole at # 3 reciever.

But is the answer Randy Moss? An older player who'e been a #1 reciever most of his career and really can't play spec teams anymore?

I say No.

pbmax
03-04-2007, 11:46 AM
No Moss. No how. No way. Even if McCarthy is convinced Rodgers is a dog, I don't want Moss in return.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Lets think about this for a second. If we unload Rodgers, does this mean Brett plans on playing for a few more years?
I say all sign point towards two more years. The surgery, all the new endorsements he signed last season, and oldest daughter off to college.

Plus all the nice records that await him.

For those hating on Moss, think about it like this. Favre has given the team his all for 15 years. The team never brought in a big name WR, hell did they ever bring ANY big name player on O? Is it so wrong to throw him a bone as his incredible NFL journey comes to a finish?

I dont like the Moss idea for Moss the person, I like it for what it is. Favre's last chance to go out on top. He deserves at least that.

packers11
03-04-2007, 11:51 AM
He's only 30... I can't see him on the downside of his career yet... Donald is 32...

Randy Moss's QB got sacked 72 FUKIN TIME!!! 72!!!
Green Bay with its "ok" line got sacked 24 times...

YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE... WHO THE HELL WANTS TO RUN routes when their qb can't even get the play off...

No matter who you put at WR ... Donald or Randy in Oakland, after awhile trying your hardest running out for nothing will soon just tear you self esteem down... If that was me?? I would have quit just like him, not because i'm not a team player... But its a waste of time trying 100% when your not getting the ball when your supposed to...

Oakland has more problems than we can imagine... I say take Moss and he will look like the "good old moss" we all know...

BF4MVP
03-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm so anxious for a deal to get done! Randy Moss and Brett Favre? I think if we got a player like Moss who can actually "go up and get it" when Favre chucks it deep into double coverage, then not only should we expect playoffs, but we should expect to make a playoff run..I'd be one of the first ones to order a Moss Packers jersey if this happened..

Mad, your sig is awesome! :D

DannoMac21
03-04-2007, 12:01 PM
I hope this deal gets done soon.

BF4MVP
03-04-2007, 12:02 PM
PS I'd rather give up our second round pick than Rodgers..I like Rodgers a lot..I would still do the trade if we had to give up Rodgers though.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2007, 12:04 PM
You are spot on Packer11. I caught some of the raider games like I do every season (have to be informed so i can talk smack to their nutjob fans).

In the beginning of the season Moss was going full steam and would always be waving for the ball but it never founds it way to him because the QB was usually picking himself off the ground by that time. Was it OK for him to give up? No, but their season was hosed by week 6. Im sure more players then just Moss was mentally down by the end of the season.

b bulldog
03-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm leaning towards liking this trade but was wondering why Moss would only play two more years?? I think Brett will play two more but with Moss being 30 and never really hurt, he has 3-5 in him if he wants it. That is a HUUUUUGE IF but that's what makes this trade possible. A HOF talent who is 30 for an unproven QB???

BF4MVP
03-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Im sure more players then just Moss was mentally down by the end of the season.
I remember when Jerry Porter was laughing and clapping on the sidelines when Aaron Brooks was sacked for like a sixth time that game..

Moss sure as hell wasn't the only one who was pissed off...

son of a vic
03-04-2007, 12:06 PM
yeah it'll be a steal for us....Moss will play probably 2 more years, of which he won't be any good. And Rodgers will be in the league for at least 10 more years, and who knows what he'll be like. If he's not any good, then advantage push, but if he turns out, we get shot in the ass, cause then when Favre retires, we have no replacement. And the fact is, Rodgers is the replacement even you guys don't like it, cause it's not any of our decision. One more guy, namely Randy Moss, for 2 season maybe, isn't gonna do shit for us. What are you all gonna say when him and Favre are both gone? then what? I'm sorry, but I don't wanna give up Rodgers, or a 2nd round pick, for hopefully 2 years of "okness".

Well said my friend. I just don't understand this lovefest with Moss. He will tear apart a young team like ours, faster than Brittany Spears walks in and out of a rehab clinic door.

b bulldog
03-04-2007, 12:10 PM
If we had a youngt QB I would agree 100% but we don't and that is what makes this more interesting.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure about this.
Maybe a few meatloaf dinners at Applebee's, a fish fry or two, and a tour of several paper mills will get that boy's head cleared up and his mind right.

motife
03-04-2007, 12:14 PM
He's only 30... I can't see him on the downside of his career yet... Donald is 32......

Joe Horn 35
Terrell Owens 33
Isaac Bruce 34
Torry Holt 30
Terry Glenn 32

MadtownPacker
03-04-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm so anxious for a deal to get done! Randy Moss and Brett Favre? I think if we got a player like Moss who can actually "go up and get it" when Favre chucks it deep into double coverage, then not only should we expect playoffs, but we should expect to make a playoff run..I'd be one of the first ones to order a Moss Packers jersey if this happened..

Mad, your sig is awesome! :DThanks and I agree, this move has a chance to go real bad but if it goes good then the possiblities are endless.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Luck favors the bold.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2007, 12:20 PM
If we had a youngt QB I would agree 100% but we don't and that is what makes this more interesting.That there is the deal maker. Had Favre not come back then hell no would I be for bringing in Moss.

Even if Moss runs down the field naked at halftime he still wouldnt outshine Favre. #4's status as a Packer and an NFL icon gives the Pack the best chance of any team to keep Moss under control.

Plus Im sure Moss has wet dreams of Favre launching 50+ yd bombs his way. :P

Brando19
03-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Mad, your sig is awesome! :DThanks and I agree, this move has a chance to go real bad but if it goes good then the possiblities are endless.

Hey Madtown...any idea where I can watch that clip that's quoted on your awesome sig where Moss says he has to see Brett Favre?

CaptainKickass
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Plus Im sure Moss has wet dreams of Favre launching 50+ yd bombs his way. :P

I've had that same dream myself.

If only............well - you go dream for yourself.

CaliforniaCheez
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Does this really seem like a move that Ted Thompson would make??
Think about it.

Before anyone says Charles Woodson let me point out that it was a bit of desperation due to exaspiration with Ahmad Carroll.

Aging players is not Ted's style(would not Green be signed).

I live in the Raiders broadcast area. I've seen more Raider games than I care to have seen.

1) If you haven't seen Moss play in the last 2 years, you don't know what you are talking about.

2) His play is declining. I thought he only ran one route before he joined the Raiders.

3) Andrew Walter is the best QB of his year group. He is a better passer than Rodgers, Alex Smith, and Kyle Orton.

4) Al Davis does not make fair deals.

MadtownPacker
03-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey Madtown...any idea where I can watch that clip that's quoted on your awesome sig where Moss says he has to see Brett Favre?Ive been looking for it too but I only have seen it on the NFL Films stuff. It was from a MNF game @ Lambeau in 2000 I believe. I think it was the same game Freeman has the miracle catch in OT.

Guiness
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I think this would work, and personally I have no problem giving up Rodgers if Favre.

Why? Not because of any premonition I have about how good he may or may not be. I say get something for him because if he sits two more years, he'll hit FA before he ever sees the field for us. If he looks good, we've got a Matt Schaub situation on our hands, where we've developed a QB, and risk losing him for nothing. If Favre is going to be around, draft another guy this year, and either he or Martin will turn out...

GrnBay007
03-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Hey Madtown...any idea where I can watch that clip that's quoted on your awesome sig where Moss says he has to see Brett Favre?Ive been looking for it too but I only have seen it on the NFL Films stuff. It was from a MNF game @ Lambeau in 2000 I believe. I think it was the same game Freeman has the miracle catch in OT.

I think it's on the DVD that comes with the book "Favre", isn't it? I know I've seen it on a DVD.

wist43
03-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Don't want any part of Moss... and don't think Rodgers can play. That said...

In a negative sense, you know what you get with Moss, i.e. a locker room cancer, malcontent, airhead, punk...

As for Rodgers, at least you know he hasn't completely failed - only insomuch as he really hasn't had his chance yet; of course, in his very limited exposure, he's shown nothing. Looks like a bust.

GrnBay007
03-04-2007, 12:35 PM

In a negative sense, you know what you get with Moss, i.e. a locker room cancer, malcontent, airhead, punk...

Other than his unhappiness at Oakland there hasn't been as much negative press about him as their used to be....TO took that spotlight. Maybe Randy has matured the last couple years.

Brando19
03-04-2007, 01:02 PM
I can't find that clip of Moss saying how he's got to see Brett Favre, and I've been searching for it on youtube...but I did find this...pretty funny...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w9tmc9_zK6g

packers11
03-04-2007, 02:16 PM
it was on youtube... but I think they took it down when they started cracking down on the NFL license thingy...

oregonpackfan
03-04-2007, 03:11 PM

As for Rodgers, at least you know he hasn't completely failed - only insomuch as he really hasn't had his chance yet; of course, in his very limited exposure, he's shown nothing. Looks like a bust.

I agree completely with Wist on his assessment of Randy Moss.

With respect to Rodgers, I agree with him about 75%. We cannot know the complete view on Rodgers until we see him start and try to complete, a regular season game. Judging him by preseason and/or by "garbage time" during regular season games will not give us a complete picture on Rodgers.

oregonpackfan
03-04-2007, 03:14 PM
3) Andrew Walter is the best QB of his year group. He is a better passer than Rodgers, Alex Smith, and Kyle Orton.

I agree with the amazing potential of Andrew Walter.

For two years, I saw Andrew Walter from Arizona State, completely pick aprart the secondaries of the Oregon Ducks and the Oregon State Beavers. I remember saying to myself, "This guy has NFL potential yet will probably be a sleeper in the draft."

I think Walter will develop into a legitimate NFL starting QB.

imscott72
03-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm not in agreement with giving up Rodgers. I'd rather give up the 3rd and this is coming from someone who hates to give up draft picks. We'd be caught with out pants down if Brett got his ass kicked this year and said I've had enough. Even if we drafted QB in the 1st, he wouldn't be ready by next year, which means we have to sign some stiff off of another team to make due.
Rodgers hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do yet. We thought Hasselbeck sucked too, until he ended up getting a chance in Seattle.

Rastak
03-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm not in agreement with giving up Rodgers. I'd rather give up the 3rd and this is coming from someone who hates to give up draft picks. We'd be caught with out pants down if Brett got his ass kicked this year and said I've had enough. Even if we drafted QB in the 1st, he wouldn't be ready by next year, which means we have to sign some stiff off of another team to make due.
Rodgers hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do yet. We thought Hasselbeck sucked too, until he ended up getting a chance in Seattle.

I thought they were demanding a 2nd.....

imscott72
03-04-2007, 03:48 PM

He can demand all he wants. He was demanding a 1st not too long ago. I wouldn't give up a 2nd for Moss. Make Davis sweat it out...He'll take a 3rd..

packerbacker1234
03-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Why would they take rodgers? There gonna have Jamarcus Russel anyways.

Brando19
03-04-2007, 04:10 PM
With Rodgers...they could then take Calvin Johnson...the best player in the draft.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't think we will make a move for Moss for quite some time. We will either steal him with a 4th rounder, or wait till he is CUT.

Rastak
03-04-2007, 06:35 PM

He can demand all he wants. He was demanding a 1st not too long ago. I wouldn't give up a 2nd for Moss. Make Davis sweat it out...He'll take a 3rd..

I wouldn't be too sure, he's a senile idiot.

I'm not sure I'd take a 3rd for a guy I paid a 1 for two years ago.

On the flip side, I agree that Moss's ability to loaf when he's not 100% happy is legendary so it might be in the Raiders best interests to take what you suggest and let some other poor slob deal with him.
I know the Vikings loved him but the behind the scenes stuff got worse and worse....and the walk off the field thing was the last straw.

When I say the behind the scenes stuff, I don't mean bad locker room stuff, he's a great teammate from what I've read but he needles management to no end.

red
03-04-2007, 06:55 PM

On the flip side, I agree that Moss's ability to loaf when he's not 100% happy is legendary so it might be in the Raiders best interests to take what you suggest and let some other poor slob deal with him.
I know the Vikings loved him but the behind the scenes stuff got worse and worse....and the walk off the field thing was the last straw.

When I say the behind the scenes stuff, I don't mean bad locker room stuff, he's a great teammate from what I've read but he needles management to no end.

i agree davis is a senile old idiot.

but i don't see how they can keep him. he won't play for them, won't talk to the new coaches, and is going to cost you 12 million this year to watch him not do anything

i think davis HAS to get rid of him before the season, am just not sure if he's smart enough to figure that out.

if we put a 3rd on the table, he might have to take it at some point, or end up cutting moss to free up cap money so they can sign draft picks and get nothing. of course someone else could them swoop in and make a better offer

Rastak
03-04-2007, 07:02 PM

but i don't see how they can keep him. he won't play for them, won't talk to the new coaches, and is going to cost you 12 million this year to watch him not do anything

i think davis HAS to get rid of him before the season, am just not sure if he's smart enough to figure that out.

if we put a 3rd on the table, he might have to take it at some point, or end up cutting moss to free up cap money so they can sign draft picks and get nothing. of course someone else could them swoop in and make a better offer

Red, I think I agree with you here. It' quite the balancing act for Oakland. They f'd it up sending a #7 overall and who knows for sure what they can get now. Randy Moss is like that, he makes you lose your mind with what you see as unliited potential. But you wake up and aren't too damn happy with the reality.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 08:11 PM

Red, I think I agree with you here. It' quite the balancing act for Oakland. They f'd it up sending a #7 overall and who knows for sure what they can get now. Randy Moss is like that, he makes you lose your mind with what you see as unliited potential. But you wake up and aren't too damn happy with the reality.

Is this a change of subject? :lol: