PDA

View Full Version : Why A Trade For Moss Is Intriguing

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Ok, forget for a moment the reasons the Pack should NOT acquire Moss -
his troubled past, his immaturity, age, etc.
These are all very valid concerns, and would have to be closely considered and balanced - potential good vs potential bad -before pulling the trade trigger.
Why DOES a trade for him hold such interesting possibilities?

Think like the Packers braintrust for a moment.
Remember what Lovie Smith said when hired by the Bears? He made a very big deal about beating the Packers, who were then the cream of the NFC North, as a top goal.
Thr first goal of any team is to win their own division.
Therefore, Thompson must devise a way to defeat the Bears, now on top in the division.
The Bears strength is their defense. They have believed that their defense -if played correctly - can stymie ANY offense.
The Carolina Panthers & Colts provided evidence to the contrary.
Yet, I think they still believe the notion (and under Smith, they have shown stubborn resistance to change/adjustment; Riviera was fired largely because he was in favor of adjusting the def. philosophy) and Lovie Smith simply is unwilling to admit that his glorious Tampa defense is not infallible.

The addition of Randy Moss to the Packer offense would provide a terrifying wild card to the whole mix for Lovie Smith. Remember what Steve Smith did to the Bears in the playoffs? Also remember that Smith made NO ADJUSTMENTS (pride? arrogance? stupidity?), even when it was painfully obvious that the fielded defensive plan was not working!
Fast forward to the Super Bowl vs the Colts. Manning quickly realized that the Bear safeties were playing WAY off the ball - and the linebackers were also taking deeper drops - and so calmly picked the secondary apart with the short passes and dump-offs.
AGAIN : Lovie Smith did NOT adjust. He doggedly stuck with the same plan and netted the inevitable result. And Riviera, who apparently realized that Emperor Lovie was wearing no clothes, wound up being the fall guy.
This is rather instructive - it would seem the most effective way to win the division while taking down the Bears is to throw an offensive monkey wrench into his perfect little defense.
Randy Moss, love him or hate him, is (if the talent is still there) the ultimate gamechanger.
At best, he is a terrifying weapon everywhere on the field, and a touchdown jackpot.
At the very least, his threat would require the safeties to play back, and take that dreaded extra def. player out of the box.
His presence would have a MAJOR impact on the coming season, and might make his addition extremely worthwhile.

packers11
03-04-2007, 02:32 PM
I agree 110%... All the bears did was double / some time triple driver... Then the packers were screwed... Therefor having Moss would put them in some deep trouble... You can't double each WR, that leaves major gaps in other places...

packers11
03-04-2007, 02:56 PM
double covered....

packers suck in redzone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zP0nu5MooU

enough said... toss it up...

esoxx
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
The thing is, if Moss just makes a couple of those deep plays early it's going to affect coverages and game plans going forward. The D's going to have to put a safety over the top which opens up the middle. It also allows DD to have more single coverages and Jennings to operate against a nickel back.

I like our odds of offensive success in this scenario.

GrnBay007
03-04-2007, 03:21 PM
The thing is, if Moss just makes a couple of those deep plays early it's going to affect coverages and game plans going forward. The D's going to have to put a safety over the top which opens up the middle. It also allows DD to have more single coverages and Jennings to operate against a nickel back.

I like our odds of offensive success in this scenario.

Yes!! ...and to compliment this, SIGN GREEN! :D

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Moss, Driver, Jennings, Favre and an improved Oline.

I'd say the odds are good that we get a hell of alot better. All that's left is either; drafting Lynch, resigning Green or getting Travis Henry.

If we get Moss, our offense will be top 5 IMO.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Moss, Driver, Jennings, Favre and an improved Oline.

I'd say the odds are good that we get a hell of alot better. All that's left is either; drafting Lynch, resigning Green or getting Travis Henry.

If we get Moss, our offense will be top 5 IMO.

We would have top 5 potential, but a lot depends on the o-line. I think a lot of people give them to much credit b/c they only gave up 24 sacks. People forget that we max protected almost every play, a reason why Brett's picks were high even though he was trying to cut them down.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Now, more than ever.

packers11
03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Now, more than ever.

TOMORROW BETTER BE THE DAY...

The packer community needs some good news...

Brando19
03-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Now, more than ever.

TOMORROW BETTER BE THE DAY...

The packer community needs some good news...

I'll second that my man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Shadow
03-05-2007, 09:33 PM
I still think the Moss deal is in the works.

pbmax
03-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Yet, I think they still believe the notion (and under Smith, they have shown stubborn resistance to change/adjustment; Riviera was fired largely because he was in favor of adjusting the def. philosophy) and Lovie Smith simply is unwilling to admit that his glorious Tampa defense is not infallible.
I agree with your analysis of the Bear's D coaches.

The line that made the papers, that Rivera refused to alter the scheme, wouldn't blitz or adjust in game seemed bogus. Rivera learned as a coach from Johnson the D coord from Philly, not Tony Dungy. Johnson played much more man to man and blitzes like a crazy man.

The D would seem to have been Lovie's, not Rivera's scheme. We'll see this year I suppose.

Merlin
03-06-2007, 10:07 AM
The Bears lost because of their inability to stop the run in the Super Bowl. Manning was throwing check downs before he made his first read because of the Bears pressure early in the game. He didn't torch anyone. Had the Bears stopped the run, they would have still lost because they had no offense, however the score would have been closer. If anything the Colts won despite Manning's poor performance. You can say the Bears didn't adjust all you want to but the fact remains that they couldn't stop the run because the Colts line took it to them.