PDA

View Full Version : Pete Dougherty Chat

motife
04-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Andy, Hastings, MN: Pete, with the overall depth of the linebacker position, do you think the Packers would be better off grabbing V.Davis or even a guy like Ngata with the number 5 and waiting until the top of the second round to address the position? Most mock drafts have some really solid linebackers still available at the top of the second round, but the tight ends, D-linemen, and nearly every other position falls off quite a bit. Thanks.

Pete Dougherty: That's something they have to think about when considering Hawk. I'm not a scout so my opinion on what they should do is no better than your barber's, but Davis sure has to be intriguing because of he's such a rare talent. The problem is he like Hawk plays a lower-valued position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave , Chicago: Are there any draftees (or free agents) with kick return potential catching you eye? A major upgrade is needed in this area (a long with many other areas).

Pete Dougherty: There's some guys that scouts like, UCLA RB Maurice Drew and Miami DB-WR Hester come to mind. But that's a position where sleeper guys or guys from small schools, perhaps undersized, can do well (Eddie Drummond, Rossum, etc.), so you never know. But you'd think that finding a good return man would be a priority in this draft. Problem is, they need help everywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom, Iron River, MI: If the Packers make the decision to try and move Javon Walker, what is the best case senerio as far as seeking future draft picks. Will Denver part with the second or third round pick they received from San Francisco?

Pete Dougherty: Not sure. To get a first-rounder, I'm assuming they'd have to make it conditional on performance this year. I could maybe see them getting a second. But that would be tough to swallow for the Packers, because this is a guy good enough to get back to the Pro Bowl if he recovers OK, and there's a pretty decent chance he'll be close to what he was, if not this year then in two years.

Louie, San Diego: Pete, I enjoy your coverage of the Packers. I know at this time of year people can talk themself into and out of just about anything. Still I wonder if Williams is gone when the Packers pick, if they should take Vernon Davis. I understand that this would be very high for a TE but with at least six games against cover 2 defenses (Lions, Bears and Vikes) a speedy TE to split the seam would seem to be a great benefit to the running and passing game. Your thoughts ?

Pete Dougherty: I tend to agree with you, that the upside would make it awfully tough to pass on this guy even though he plays a lower-priority position. But maybe they think Hawk has plenty of upside too. Just depends on what Ted Thompson thinks there, he's had all winter and spring to study and think about it.

Peter, Othello, WA: Any new rumors about a trade down? Maybe with Oakland. Any chance they could get an extra pick AND Hawk or Davis? Also, I just saw a Mock Draft that had Super Mario sliding to the #5 slot. Any chance?

Pete Dougherty: I'm still betting against Williams getting to No. 5, sounds like New Orleans will take him at No. 2 or trade down to No.4 and take him if he's still there. Then again, as you know, you can't believe a thing you hear at this time of year. Maybe one-third of the rumors we'll hear turn out to be true, so how do you know which is which?

Gary Jordens, Lac Du Flambeau: Hi Pete thanks for taking my question. Of three possible players that might be there at #5 who would appeal the most to Brett Favre. I say this because no matter what happens he is still a quallity quaterback and I would like to see him play a few more seasons and go out a winner. I think the three possible players that might be there is.... OT Furguson, OLB Hawk or TE Davis. I would like to see them take the Tight End Vernon Davis. I think the offence would really roll and defences would have a hard time stopping him which would open up the running game. This guy has so much potential and should help us right away. Back to you.

Pete Dougherty: I'd think Ferguson and Davis would appeal to him especially, though even adding a quality defensive player (if Hawk turns out to be that) would be appealing because it would make the team better. But for his own help, Davis is a weapon and Ferguson would improve the line substantially.

Richard , Oshkosh, WI: Who do you pick, TE Vernon Davis, QB Vince Young or LB AJ Hawk if all three are there?

Pete Dougherty: I'll try to answer, but understand I'm not a scout so my opinion means squat. From what I know of them, I'd take Davis or Young, probably Davis because of his upside compared to Hawk, though I know at least a couple scouts think Young has some special magic to him, while many think he won't ever be a good pocket passer.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: Mr. dougherty, do you think that Ted will with the lower rds picks trade down in those rds to get more picks?

Pete Dougherty: I'd think more likely than that. They have seven picks but I'll guess they'll have more than that by Sunday.

Brian B., Nampa, ID: Hi Pete, As one NFL scout said, all the Packers really need is O line,O backfield, wide receiver, D line, linebacker, D backfield, returner, kicker & punter. So assuming that Mario Williams is off the board, and so is Cutler (the only QB worth the Packers considering) do the Packers go with Davis, Ngata or Hawk?

Pete Dougherty: Sounds like some scouts think highly of Ngata, but I couldn't find any, so my guess is he's not one of the options. As I said earlier, I'd lean toward Davis, but as I also said, I don't know 1/10,000th what the scouts know about these guys.

steve, mansfield,tx.: pete:what do you know about tamba hali of penn state? and dont you thank we should get a running back just incase? like the kid from wisconson univ. thank you.

Pete Dougherty: I've heard good things about Hali, high character, good motor, some pass-rushing talent. RB certainly is a possibility, who knows how Green and Davenport are going to be? Green is such a hard worker I'd think he'll be at least OK, but Davenport has such a long injury history, it's not a given he makes the team.

Richard , Oshkosh, WI: They say a quality Guard in this draft is not real deep. Do you wait till the teams let loose some veterans after June !st?

Pete Dougherty: Maybe, but remember, you never know where you might find a decent guard in the draft. Guards, more than any other position, seem just as likely to come in the fifth, sixth or seventh as second or third. And with their new Denver zone-blocking running game, they're looking for specific types of guards, smaller guys that other teams wouldn't consider, so they're liable to find one they like at any time in the draft, whether it be second round or sixth.

Peter, Othello: ANy gut feelings on our new chorus line of FA kickers?

Pete Dougherty: Can't say it looks too promising on the surface. It's a good bet they'll bring in a rookie, and they easily could end up picking up someone cut by another team at the end of training camp.

Dave, Chicago: Would you draft another CB to try and fill Carroll's spot? I don't think he will ever make it as a starter. What a waste for a 1st round pick.

Pete Dougherty: If there's a guy you like, sure. Carroll showed some improvement but he still has a long ways to go as a starter. He'd be fairly well suited as a nickel slot guy. Who knows, maybe Hawkins will beat him out if he can stay healthy.

Sam, Dallas, Texas: Pete, I watched Thompson's press conference today and as expected he repeated his philosophy of building through the draft; taking the highest ranked player on his board; and taking a long range view in drafting players. I happen to agree with him and based on last years' draft expect him to successfully rebuild the Packer's roster through future drafts. As to this year, his message also may be that there is a high probability of a quarterback being taken by the Packers. Assuming that Bush and Williams are gone, at least one of the top three quarterbacks will be available-most likely either Young or Cutler. Of course Thompson may have been trying to send a message to other teams. If a quarterback is taken, I would prefer Cutler due to the bad track record of running Quarterbacks in the NFL. The other players consistently mentioned as part of this elite group are Ferguson, Hawk, and Davis, with Hawk often projected as going to the Packers. He seems to be generaly regarded as the safest pick but perhaps with the least up side. How do you view odds that the Packers will take a quarterback, and, if not, who is their likely choice-Hawk? Thanks for your comments.

Pete Dougherty: You've got a good handle on this whole thing, not sure I can add much. I'm inclined to think they're smoke screening the QB interest, I'm not convinced they think any of those guys is enough of an upgrade from Rodgers to pick him, but that's just a guess. I'm sure they've looked extremely hard at those three QBs. As far as who they pick if not a QB, I'm trying to figure that out and won't be ready to make my guess until Friday for Saturday's paper. I don't know if it's always like this at the top of the draft, but after Bush it's hard to know who's going where. That obviously determines who they'll take, because Ferguson might be there, Davis presumably will be, Hawk presumably will be, and there's an outside shot (at best) that Williams will be. They'll have some choices, including trading down a couple spots if Ferguson is there and someone wants him badly.

Peter, Othello: Sorry for the number of questions. I just don't want you to run out of material. Has McCarthy or Thompson ever let slip WHY Rogers slipped so far last year. It seems that McCarthy, having studied both Rogers and the guy they took (name?), should know the score as well or better than anyone outside the Packer organization.

Pete Dougherty: No,they really haven't let it slip. McCarthy looked at Rodgers hard, and from what I'm told really liked him. But from what I heard San Francisco never seriously considered taking him No. 1 overall, he was more polished but just didn't have Alex Smith's upside (Smith is much more athletic). But they would have considered Rodgers in the middle of the first round. Rodgers slipped because only some teams rated him a first rounder, and it appears as though none rated him a high first-rounder. I know of at least a couple teams that rated him a second-rounder.

Jeff, Minneapolis: NFL teams put potential draft picks through extensive medical testing. Over the years, three Packers players have had their careers ended prematurely because of stenosis of the spine. Do teams test for this? Or is this condition not a reason for concern until a player first suffers a neck injury?

Pete Dougherty: That's a great question, and one I've never gotten around to asking. Just guessing, it's probably not a standard test, because a full neck and spine MRI probably takes a long time and is expensive. But I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a standard test eventually. I'll try to remember to check on that and perhaps address it in a story within the next few weeks, though there will be lots of news to cover.

Ryan, Pensacola, FL: Mr Dougherty, Two part question: First, who do you like in this year's draft at the position of WR? We've gotta be feeling the pain of both Murphy and (most likely) Walker not contributing this year. Also, how do you feel about our NFL Europe players and who, if any, do you think could contribute this year or in the near future (at WR or any other position).

Pete Dougherty: I couldn't find any scouts who thought much of this year's receivers class, though maybe in teh second or third round a like Stovall or Hagans will surprise and be better than expected. I wouldn't expect any meaningful help at receiver from NFL Europe.

jay, boise, Idaho: Isn't it ironic that Brett mentioned the Packers needed to make a significant free agent signing to make a statement and yet Arrington possibly was infuenced into not signing with the Packers because Brett had not made a decision. Maybe he is partof the problem only he can fix?

Pete Dougherty: I don't buy for a second that Arrington was influenced by Favre not having decided. I just find it impossible to leave he's going to join a team for three to five years (I know the deal was seven, but these contracts generally are three-year deals) based on whether Favre's coming back for one season. Contracts do 95 percent of the recruiting in the NFL, and it looks like the Giants outbid the Packers. Maybe playing in New York City was attractive also. But I'll never believe Favre's indecision was a factor even if Arrington or his agents suggest it was.

gene, chicago: Thanks for taking my question. Do you think that the Packers will draft guards to replace Klemm & Whittacker? If so, is it more likely that they will draft slightly smaller guys because of the new scheme?

Pete Dougherty: Sounds like they think Junius Coston (fifth-rounder last year) has a chance, and Barry could fit in there also either as guard, or as a tackle with Tauscher moving. But yes, I have to think they'll draft at least one guard, very possibly with a first-day pick.

Jan Mandel, Phx. Az.: Hi Pete, It is really hard to be patient with Thompson, I'd like to see some balance..use of F.A. and draft, but that's not happening. As per Doug Ritchay article "Where's the improvement" on Packer Report, teams are not just doing it through the draft anymore, they don't need to, that's why we have cap money to spend. My opinion is to use balance like Wolf did, and Thompson was around to see this, so it is extremely confusing and frustrating to see him be so non existant, especially with so many needs. Also I'm getting the feeling again the the F.A. won't want to come here again. It just doesn.t need to get this bad and to develop so slow. Looking back during Wolf.s GM, let me see in about a 2-3 year period, R.White, B.Farve, S.Jones, G.Brown, S.Dotson, D.BeBe, K.Jackson, A.Rison, D.Howard, E.Robinson, F. Winters, G.Hentrich , B. Wilkerson, either were picked up during F.A., or trade. Thompson had 11 draft picks and Collins is the only one who turned out. Klemm & Gardner are the left over F.A& last year, and really has only brought in Pickett in F.A., and were suppose to trust and wait on this guy. To me it is just unbelievable, we go from one extreme idiot like Sherman to Thompson who acts impotent in F.A. Last year he said he didn.t have the money, to this having it and not doing nothing. Signing a F.A. isn.t just for Farve but for any feature OB or team to play &

Pete Dougherty: I don't know if Thompson will succeed or not, but I find it impossible to just dismiss his approach after about one year. The cap money will come in handy, if not this year than next (they can push the cap room they don't use to next using those dummy incentives, so they're likely to have a lot of cap room for the next couple of years, and longer if they do this right). I just don't see how spending big in free agency would be smart without a specific plan. What has it done for Washington the last five years? The Vikings the last couple years? A lot of those free agents are guys on the downside, maybe have a good year or two left and they go downhill fast. So I can't argue that hard with Thompson's approach. Chances are they'll only get a great player through the draft, great players just don't get on the free-agent market. But it will require that he draft well.

Mike Holland, Houston, Texas: Pete: If D'Brickshaw Ferguson is still on the board when the Packers come up at number 5, could they draft him for LT, move Clifton to RT, put Tauscher and Barry at the guards and let White and Wells vie for the Center position? In your opinion, would this work and would this fix the O Line problem for the Packers? Thanks.

Pete Dougherty: That's what tomorrow's draft-series story is about. It's definitely something that could happen, and you have to think it would improve the line substantially. I'm not saying it's the best move, but it would be hard to argue with it if Ferguson is as good as almost all the scouts I've talked to think he is.

Bob Nichols, Houston, Texas: Pete, Ted Thompson has been on board for 15 months now and one of the few areas where he has had the opportunity to make a substantial impact is the offensive line. Is it not fair to say TT's personnel moves with respect to the offensive line so far appear to have been less than stellar? If you buy into TT's strongly-held view that offensive linemen should come cheap, what does that say about the money that Bill Polian, Bill Parcells and Bill Cowher devote to offensive lineman salaries? Does TT know something they do not?

Pete Dougherty: Yes, so far his offensive-line moves have been poor. Klemm isn't as good as the Packers evaluated, and O'Dwyer was an injury bust, though they knew of that possibility when they signed him. However, it also depends on how Coston turns out, and what he does in the draft, and what happens with Barry. I'm not sure the Cowboys have devoted all that much to their line -- I know a scout who said they overpaid Rivera because they were desperate for a tough guy. And New England seems to do well with a relatively cheap offensive line that seems to lose a player or two every year. Same with Denver. So there's more than one way to approach that, no right or wrong answer there. Seems like the only given is that you need a good left tackle, which costs big money.

Bill , Saratoga,CA: Pete, Do you think Maurice Drew is worth a 3rd rounder? If so, could he be used like a Westbrook was initially in Philly, or is he more limited and would be more of a kick returner? It seems like the Pack is taking a chance with two guys coming back from major injuries and a guy named Samkon. DO you view RB a need and how high do you think they will have to pick someone that can make an immediate impact? Thanks,

Pete Dougherty: I don't know if Drew's as good a receiver as Westbrook was coming out. Sounds like he's a good return man, though. One scout I talked to thought Wisconsin's Calhoun might be a little like Westbrook. Sounds like Calhoun will go in the second round, maybe real early third.

Andy, Hastings, MN: Hey Pete- I didn't actually expect the Packers to sign Arrington, yet I was still upset when I read Saturday that we were out of the picture. We're now left to wonder about Favre's indecision and the effect it's having on our ability to land free agents (if you want the team better, you've got some responsibilities too, buddy). We're also backed into a corner come draft time, because our linebacker corps is WEAK. And Thompson's inability to land one free agent of note with all the money we had this offseason, whether smart or not, doesn't exactly endear fans or get us excited about our prospects for turnaround. The final straw will be when TT decides to trade down relentlessly this weekend to gain more picks, as we've all come to expect, thus preventing us from landing that stud or two we so desperately need. How long is it gonna take us to get out of Sherman's Shadow and rebuild this team?!

Pete Dougherty: I don't think he'll trade down in the first round unless he's assured of getting one of the top six players on the Packers' board. But I wouldn't be surprised if he trades down later in the draft, maybe in the third or fourth rounds.

Pack fan in NFL-less LAnd, Los Angeles: Pete: Two questions that no one seems to want to answer. One, no one seems to be taking into account the Packers narrowly lost a number of games last year and were decimated by injuries as they make their predictions for 2006. Could things not be as dire as everyone expects? Two, has anyone considered Vince Young as a Paul Hornung-type player? Should they?

Pete Dougherty: I'd say things are relatively dire. Uncertainty with Green, Walker, Favre, no big-time playmakers on defense. As fast as Vince Young is, don't know if he's elusive enough to be a running back. I just haven't asked anybody that question, I'm not sure anybody's been used like that since Hornung. I have no idea if that would even work in today's NFL. But I doubt Young would be open to it, I'm sure he wants QB money.

Ransom, WI: Linebacker draft prospects are often categorized as ILB or OLB. In the pros we talk about Sam, Mike, and Will. I've always been confused - does ILB equate to Mike, and OLB means you can play either Sam or Will?

Pete Dougherty: Yes, Mike is the middle linebacker in a 4-3; Will is the weak-side linebacker (which is an outside linebacker) and usually lines up with no one in front of him; and Sam is the strong side linebacker, which is an outside linebacker who lines up over the tight end.

ND72
04-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Pete has never been high on Hawk. I saw a write up from him where he had him as the 4th LB drafted at #32 by the Steelers. So i tend to never listen to what he says.

b bulldog
04-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Not many people that I hear on the radio or write in the papers seem to think Hawk is a good pick at 5. they aren't saying that he isn't good but that the difference between him and the others isn't very big and that with the second round pick you could still pick up a good LB.

Harlan Huckleby
04-25-2006, 09:42 PM
I don't like using a #5 on a linebacker, unless it is Lawrence Taylor.

Hawk looks very good, he blows-up blockers. I am not sure he'll be able to that in the pro game. But we'll see.

ND72
04-25-2006, 09:45 PM
AJ Hawk is as sure a solid pick as anyone in this draft.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Not many people that I hear on the radio or write in the papers seem to think Hawk is a good pick at 5.

Let's see these sources. This seems to be your own opinion. I wouldn't try selling it as the consensus.

b bulldog
04-25-2006, 09:50 PM
chris Havel,Harry Sydney, The rookie, Chuck Freeman, The two guys on WTMJ on the weekend, Wayne Larrivee, Our lads, I'll try to remember more.

Bretsky
04-25-2006, 10:17 PM
chris Havel,Harry Sydney, The rookie, Chuck Freeman, The two guys on WTMJ on the weekend, Wayne Larrivee, Our lads, I'll try to remember more.

This was about two months back, but I listened to a detailed interview with Wayne Larivee and he said if there was one player in college football that he wanted to see in Green n Gold it was AJ Hawk. Maybe his tune has changed, but at the time Larivee noted he watched many of Hawk's games and thought he was the surest thing the college draft had to offer in terms of a playmaker.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2006, 10:29 PM

I don't know who most of these guys are. Can't say that I really respect Havel's opinion, or Sydney's opinion for that matter.

There are a ton of other sources that state that Hawk is the right pick for the Packers.

Bretsky
04-25-2006, 10:31 PM

I don't know who most of these guys are. Can't say that I really respect Havel's opinion, or Sydney's opinion for that matter.

There are a ton of other sources that state that Hawk is the right pick for the Packers.

Havel and Sydney are established, but I have to say that the guys running the TMJ sports shows for the weekend are idiots. They consistently misrepresent facts and don't know as much as the average poster in here.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Dat's cuz weez goooddd. :mrgreen:

RashanGary
04-25-2006, 11:32 PM
I can agree with bulldog in that almost all of the GB media do not want the Pack to take Hawk.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2006, 11:41 PM
I can agree with bulldog in that almost all of the GB media do not want the Pack to take Hawk.

I didn't read where he said most of the local media, but that's fine. You guys can crow about your guys, but a majority of the national experts think the Packers will and should take Hawk.

I could find you opinions good and bad on every prospect in this draft.

Bretsky
04-25-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm just happy the Big Screen is working fine; if it was truly broken I'd have had to call Jack Bauer with CTU and have Cloey scan the neighborhood for the biggest HDTV to crash for a draft party :)

Fritz
04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
"AJ Hawk is as sure a solid pick as anyone in this draft."

That's the problem. If I'm picking at #5 overall, I want a little better than "sure and solid." Aaron Kampman is "sure and solid." Sure, you need that on your team, but you also need "spectacular and game-changing."

Rastak
04-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Not many people that I hear on the radio or write in the papers seem to think Hawk is a good pick at 5.

Let's see these sources. This seems to be your own opinion. I wouldn't try selling it as the consensus.
Peter King I believe said Greenway may end up being a better playmaker than Hawk...I don't think so but that's what he said.

Patler
04-26-2006, 12:15 PM
... but I have to say that the guys running the TMJ sports shows for the weekend are idiots. They consistently misrepresent facts and don't know as much as the average poster in here.

AMEN! These guys continually show a lack of preparation, such as not knowing which FAs or RFAs have been signed (even by the Packers), etc. Just a few weeks ago, (I think it was the WTMJ weekend show) one confessed that he did not know what the salary cap figure is for 2006. They once referred to part of the Packers problem last year coming from Walker playing "less than half the season", as if they didn't realize he played less than a full game. I don't think I've ever listened to them for more than a half-hour without hearing a major blunder or mischaracterization with a fact.

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Mike Holland, Houston, Texas: Pete: If D'Brickshaw Ferguson is still on the board when the Packers come up at number 5, could they draft him for LT, move Clifton to RT, put Tauscher and Barry at the guards and let White and Wells vie for the Center position? In your opinion, would this work and would this fix the O Line problem for the Packers? Thanks.

Pete Dougherty: That's what tomorrow's draft-series story is about. It's definitely something that could happen, and you have to think it would improve the line substantially. I'm not saying it's the best move, but it would be hard to argue with it if Ferguson is as good as almost all the scouts I've talked to think he is.

The big problem with drafting Ferguson is that he is only suited to play left tackle. He's not big or powerful enough to play RT, at least right now.

And Clifton is also only suited to play left tackle only, he's tall and top heavy. Klemm is also a natural Left Tackle.

I wish they could take Ferguson, but just don't see how they would use him in 2006.