PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Be Our #1 RB?

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 04:29 PM
I really like what Jamal Lewis brings to the table. He would fit our ZBS well because of his great vision. He is also a decent receiver. Those 3rd and shorts would give us a little more punch. I am also for Lynch in the 1st...would be a great 1-2 punch.

imscott72
03-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Jamal Lewis, Moss, Robinson....We're gonna look like the Queens with that kind of talk... :lol:

Patler
03-04-2007, 04:56 PM
I really like what Jamal Lewis brings to the table. He would fit our ZBS well because of his great vision. He is also a decent receiver. Those 3rd and shorts would give us a little more punch. I am also for Lynch in the 1st...would be a great 1-2 punch.

When did Jamal Lewis become a decent receiver???
He's quite poor as a receiver. Also not that hot at blocking.

I don't think Lewis is a great fit in GB. Of course, that probably means he will end up here! :(

Joemailman
03-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Ahman Green, if he leaves Houston without a contract. Otherwise, Travis Henry.

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh god...Sherman is going to have influence on how much they offer Green. If it wasn't for the Shermanator's history of disgustingly overpaying anyone he locks up, I would say "GREEN" and I wouldn't wince. With Sherman in the picture, I say Henry.

pbmax
03-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Green signed with Houston, according to PFT and Adam Schefter.

This one is tough. TT, so far, doesn't have an obvious plan B. Wonder what the numbers were. He was looking for $5 mil per.

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Green signed with Houston, according to PFT and Adam Schefter.

This one is tough. TT, so far, doesn't have an obvious plan B. Wonder what the numbers were. He was looking for $5 mil per.

Oh my god. NO!!!

I really did want to have him back. TT is heartless. I knew Green was overpriced, but I have sentiment for the guy. I was willing to overpay. TT is cold. It's a good quality. It might prove to be the right move but damn...As a fan with some shred of heart; it hurts.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Travis Henry, please sign with us!!!!!!!!!

Freak Out
03-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Gado.......lol!

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Travis Henry, please sign with us!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, sure.... There is NO WAY this is happening. And the really bad news: Sammy Morris signed with the PATS and he was probably the only guy TT would have thought we could afford.

But don't worry everyone, we'll build through the draft, and get that killer RB, IN 2009. In the meantime, it'll be 3 yards and a cloud of dust with Morency and Herron. Slow and Slower...

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
If this is true -and even if it isn't - life goes on.
It is not the end of the world.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Let's look at our possibilities:

Henry--Probably a bidding war... won't get

Jordan---Supposedly getting released... no thanks

Lewis--- Probably could get for a decent price and short term...would give Lynch or new blood time to get adjusted

Lewis would be the man...

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I hate overpaying. I know I'm one of the biggest supporters of TT but if you're going to overpay for a guy, he better be a tough, hard working, great team-mate, loyal, productive guy. Ahman Green was all of that. It's tough to see him go.

This may or may not be a mistake. Henry had a better year last year and might come cheaper but man....It's hard to see him go. I remember watching him for the first season and thinking "this isnt' even Packer football!! He's so explosive and fast. I've never watched this brand of football"

He's not what he was and he'll only get worse. Still, he's the one guy I would have overpaid on this market.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 05:29 PM
IT'S DONE. Let's move on and quit BITCHIN!!. Now, who's gonna be our Back?

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Well, imagine you are a Texan fan.
You've just shelled out a lot of money for a 30 year old back with a lot of tread on the tires & one year removed from a major injury.
I loved Green, but living in the past is not the way to success in the here & now and future.
Tough decisions are, well, tough, but it's more beneficial in the long run to think with your head instead of your heart.
Favre will eventually go. Driver will, too. Henderson will go.
You have to keep moving forward.

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree with Henderson, Shadow. He sucked. Green is still pretty good.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Henry's talks with GB better be heating up!!!

lod01
03-04-2007, 05:36 PM

You gotta be kidding. Tippy toes Lewis? The dude takes 20 steps to go 3 yards and then he falls down. There is ZERO chance of the Pack signing that bum.

red
03-04-2007, 05:39 PM
travis henry sucks, and is not consistant at all. plus he's been fazed out twice now by rookies. once with mcgahee then with the guys in nashville

he's going to go somewhere where he konws he will be the #1 guy. we will be drafting someone this year, they will probably be our future #1 guy

i doubt henry will want to go anywhere where he is replaced again in a year.

i don't want lewis

really no one out there is worth a squat

will be stuck with morensy and some 4th round pick and herron for next year

bretts final year will be a waste if we don't find a damn good RB, even if we do get moss

Joemailman
03-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Red, Henry rushed for more yards than Green did last year. The reason Tennessee let him go was because he was due an 8 million dollar bonus, and they couldn't come to a deal on a new contract.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 05:46 PM
So with everyone barking about what situation we're in and no back "good enough"; we may as well throw in the towel for '07. Quit BARKING AND START THINKING ABOUT OUR NEW RUNNING BACK!

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Red, Henry rushed for more yards than Green did last year. The reason Tennessee let him go was because he was due an 8 million dollar bonus, and they couldn't come to a deal on a new contract.

So if Tennessee couldn't sign him, what makes you think that Mr. Cheapskate will be able to?

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 05:47 PM
I remember very clearly the day we traded a #1 to get Favre. I was somewhat upset that Majkowski was being considered to be replaced.
I got over it.
I liked Edgar Bennett, and wondered about Levens. I got over it. I then liked Levens, and wondered about Green. I got over it. I liked Sharpe, then I liked Brooks, then I liked Freeman, then I liked Driver.
Way back when, I was OUTRAGED when Jimmy Taylor was allowed to get away & sign with New Orleans. Then, after he averaged exactly 3.0 per carry with them, I got over it.
The point is : time doesn't stand still, and there are players out there who will become the next great Packers. You can't stay stuck in time.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 05:49 PM
RIGHT ON SHADOW. WHO WE GONNA HAVE?

Joemailman
03-04-2007, 05:49 PM
It will either be Travis Henry, or a rookie. The free agent list other than Henry doesn't look very interesting to me.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I think it may well be someone that nobody is even talking about at the moment......

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:53 PM
I think it may well be someone that nobody is even talking about at the moment......

this gets my vote. it won't be someone any of us have ever heard of, that's for sure.

Charles Woodson
03-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Henry rushed for 1211 yards and 7 TDs with a 4.5 avg.

Green rushed for 1059 yards 4 yard avg. and 5 TD's

all though Green did have 300 yards receiving compared to Henry's 80..
Apparently my last post didnt work so

Do you guys think that TT had Marshawn Lynch in the cards the whole time?

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM

No. You can't have someone in the "cards" when you pick 16th.... Even thompson can't be that stupid.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Henry rushed for 1211 yards and 7 TDs with a 4.5 avg.

Green rushed for 1059 yards 4 yard avg. and 5 TD's

all though Green did have 300 yards receiving compared to Henry's 80..
Apparently my last post didnt work so

Even if he does, I still wanted Green here, and that even if lynch is there at 16 it's not a given.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 05:58 PM
"Do you guys think that TT had Marshawn Lynch in the cards the whole time?"

No. I don't think the Packers would count completely on a player being there at 16.
For the Packers to refuse to overpay Green, they have something in mind besides relying on drafting Lynch - which they very might well do anyway.
I would suspect either a doable deal for a vet, or they have spotted another player or 2 at the Combine who WILL be there in rounds 2-4.
If this was NOT the case, they simply would have overpaid Green - they have the money.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 05:58 PM
How about Portis? He may be in the workings for a trade. Washington won't keep him & Betts. They may do a KGB and later pick trade???

retailguy
03-04-2007, 06:00 PM
How about Portis? He may be in the workings for a trade. Washington won't keep him & Betts. They may do a KGB and later pick trade???

FOR PORTIS? Oh for crying out loud... Where do you get this shit?

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Jamal Lewis would be horrible in a one cut system. He's like Jerome Bettis. A big back who likes to dance around (feet bouncing all around) before looking for somebody to hit. He's also a terrible receiver.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 06:07 PM
THERE'S WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!!! SOME PASSION IN YOUR REPLYS!!!
I THINK PORTIS WILL BE TRADED. MARK MY WORDS.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Vernand Morency may be the starter.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 06:10 PM
A player who would fit our system very well is Thomas Jones - but the Bears would never trade with us. They do need to unload him, however, since it looks like he's not a happy camper.
Hmmmm...Portis is unhappy in Washington.... Jones is unhappy in Chicago...perhaps a pigskin menage a tois?

retailguy
03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
A player who would fit our system very well is Thomas Jones - but the Bears would never trade with us. They do need to unload him, however, since it looks like he's not a happy camper.
Hmmmm...Portis is unhappy in Washington.... Jones is unhappy in Chicago...perhaps a pigskin menage a tois?

With Thompson as a party to the deal? No way. NO WAY.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Never say never.

Merlin
03-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Travis Henry is a fumble machine. Jamal Lewis is more beat up then Green ever was. I will take Morency and Heron. For everyone who thinks I am nuts, find me a game where Heron was called upon to start and played poorly. We need one more RB to fit and a rookie. Too bad Tatum Bell is gone because he would have fit well.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Much stranger things have happened.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Portis will be our back. Bank on it!!!

red
03-04-2007, 06:36 PM

he was up and down and all over the place, until the last month of the year

one week he would almost run for 200, then the next week he would run for 20 and 19 carries. then he's go for 150, then the next weel get 30

just very up and down except for the last month, then he put up nice steady numbers

i guess it just bugs me because i was starting him on my FF team those weeks he had 20 and 30 yards, and i was like, WTF is that?

how is everyone so sure travis is going to be our new RB, is he even coming here for a visit. is TT bringing in anyone yet?

i think every packer fans needs to lower their expectations at this point, so we aren't as depressed when things don't work out the way we want. i think thats what i've learned from the last few days

PackerPro42
03-04-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm just going to throw this out here, Marshawn Lynch. I know a lot of you don't like him,but he fits our system extremly well and if he's there at 16 I can't see TT passing on him. I think that Lynch is TT number 1 priority in the draft if Green is in fact gone.

Partial
03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Vernand Morency may be the starter.

Yep. and I bet he has 200 more yards than Ahman Green next year.

Joemailman
03-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Red,

Sounds to me like his offensive line jelled the last month after being inconsistent for most of the year.

red
I'm just going to throw this out here, Marshawn Lynch. I know a lot of you don't like him,but he fits our system extremly well and if he's there at 16 I can't see TT passing on him. I think that Lynch is TT number 1 priority in the draft.

lynch has to be there at 16 for TT to draft him

TT can't sit back and let every other RB get signed up while he sits aroung and hoped lynch will still be there when we pick

Partial
Travis Henry is a fumble machine. Jamal Lewis is more beat up then Green ever was. I will take Morency and Heron. For everyone who thinks I am nuts, find me a game where Heron was called upon to start and played poorly. We need one more RB to fit and a rookie. Too bad Tatum Bell is gone because he would have fit well.

For once we actually agree. Though Tatum Bell fumbles as much or more than Henry. But I like him. He was good as OSU and so was Morency. They are good, one cut backs.

packers11
03-04-2007, 06:41 PM
how pissed must Favre be??? He has to be in the backfield with a rookie picking up blitz assignments...

Partial
03-04-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm just going to throw this out here, Marshawn Lynch. I know a lot of you don't like him,but he fits our system extremly well and if he's there at 16 I can't see TT passing on him. I think that Lynch is TT number 1 priority in the draft.

lynch has to be there at 16 for TT to draft him

TT can't sit back and let every other RB get signed up while he sits aroung and hoped lynch will still be there when we pick

Even with him there I doubt he picks him. I don't think he'll ever draft an RB in the first round unless its a super stud.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Portis will be our back. Bank on it!!!

you'd better keep smoking whatever it is you are smoking. YOU ARE CRAZY.

Spaulding
03-04-2007, 06:46 PM
What about Arliss Beach? Prior to his pre-season injury he showed some spark. Not enough to bank a roster spot let alone a starting running back that will have an impact but I've seen his name pop many times with nothing but positives.

Just wondering if anybody else has heard the same.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Retail, Not a smoker, just a chewer. Portis will not be in Washington next year. Cap Problems. Wait & See

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Herron has never started a game in his career (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/412701). Unless a team is truly desperate, this will not change.

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm just going to throw this out here, Marshawn Lynch. I know a lot of you don't like him,but he fits our system extremly well and if he's there at 16 I can't see TT passing on him. I think that Lynch is TT number 1 priority in the draft if Green is in fact gone.

Hey man, I appologize for comparing you to Tank. Lynch looks better and better every time I watch him run. I know why you're so in to him.

Joemailman
03-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Merlin must be thinking of the St. Louis game where Herron rushed for over 100 yards, although he did not start. Herron tends to be a bit underrated, but he is not a starter.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 07:18 PM

I don't have a problem with picking Lynch at 16, but the more obvious it becomes that we need a running back, the less likely it is that Lynch will be there. Any other team that wants him will know they should trade up and snag him no later than at #15. Our desperation is only driving up the trade value of mid-round draft picks.

GBRulz
03-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Does anyone know what kind of money Travis Henry is looking for? If TT won't spend $5 mil on Green, I don't see us signing Henry because I think his contract will also be in the 4-5 mil range.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know what kind of money Travis Henry is looking for? If TT won't spend $5 mil on Green, I don't see us signing Henry because I think his contract will also be in the 4-5 mil range.

I agree, looks like the best we can hope for is a rookie starting for us. Henry got 1,200 yards last year, he going to want more than Green.

Bretsky
03-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I hate overpaying. I know I'm one of the biggest supporters of TT but if you're going to overpay for a guy, he better be a tough, hard working, great team-mate, loyal, productive guy. Ahman Green was all of that. It's tough to see him go.

This may or may not be a mistake. Henry had a better year last year and might come cheaper but man....It's hard to see him go. I remember watching him for the first season and thinking "this isnt' even Packer football!! He's so explosive and fast. I've never watched this brand of football"

He's not what he was and he'll only get worse. Still, he's the one guy I would have overpaid on this market.

AMEN; your assessment of A Green is mine as well...........but

I'm not convinced he will get worse; last year he came off a major surgery and was playing banged up. He may come into this year healthier and more effecitve as a result.

He's the one player I wish TT would have overpaid/locked up weeks ago.

B

PackerPro42
03-04-2007, 07:28 PM

Hey man, I appologize for comparing you to Tank. Lynch looks better and better every time I watch him run. I know why you're so in to him.

No prob, I didn't take it to heart when you said it anyways, but I do believe that Lynch is the future RB of the Packers if we can get him in the draft. And as for Partials comment, I don't know what would lead you to believe that TT would never draft a RB in the first round. I believe he uses the BPA rule and in this draft that player might very well be Lynch.

red
03-04-2007, 07:31 PM
THERE IS NOTHING THAT SAYS HENRY IS EVEN COMING HERE FOR A VISIT

why does everyone keep saying, well henry will be better anyways

WTF, we don't have henry, and we probably aren't going to go after him

in fact, he's on his way to denver for a visit, because they love him. and they are willing to spend money

PackerPro42
03-04-2007, 07:33 PM

in fact, he's on his way to denver for a visit, because they love him. and they are willing to spend money

I just saw on NFL network that Henry will indeed be visiting the Packers organization along with teams like the Broncos and possibly Texans. However the Texans thing probably isn't going to happen anymore with Green going there.

Chevelle2
03-04-2007, 07:35 PM

Packers | Team has had discussions with T. Henry
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:36:47 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Green Bay Packers have had discussions with free agent RB Travis Henry (Titans).

Kffl.com

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Denver doesn't have any money so we'll have a better shot at him than them.

red
03-04-2007, 07:37 PM
well, ok then

i still can't see TT signing him

and i'm still pretty sure i don't want him. but i guess he's better then whats left out there

if he gets out of denver

gbpackfan
03-04-2007, 08:00 PM
If we get Henry, we should still draft a RB in the early rounds. Henry, Morency and a stud rookie could really do some damage.

gureski
03-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Well, imagine you are a Texan fan.
You've just shelled out a lot of money for a 30 year old back with a lot of tread on the tires & one year removed from a major injury.
I loved Green, but living in the past is not the way to success in the here & now and future.
Tough decisions are, well, tough, but it's more beneficial in the long run to think with your head instead of your heart.
Favre will eventually go. Driver will, too. Henderson will go.
You have to keep moving forward.

AMEN BROTHER! Good to hear some good ol' fashioned logic. We all feel the emotion of losing a guy like Green but keep it in perspective.

My first thoughts are revolving around the possibility of McGahee but the more I think about it, the more I think Thomas Jones would work great for us. He would fit the Zone Blocking system. Unfortunately, I can't see the Bears dealing him to us.

gureski
03-04-2007, 08:10 PM
May I also say that Morency could still turn out to be a starting calibur RB? Nobody is talking about him. He has the talent. Can he stay healthy, that's the question. At a minimum, he can help be one half of a two headed monster.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Morency does have nice qualities for this scheme.
If he & another good back (Lynch) could share the load, I think
things might work out quite well.

Joemailman
03-04-2007, 10:30 PM
One thing people should remember about Morency is that TT traded for him after the season started. Therefore, he had not had the advantage of going through a training camp to learn the offense. He should be better this year. Whether or not he has the ability to be a #1 RB is an open question, but he at least should be able to be a key contributor.

Partial
03-04-2007, 10:41 PM

No prob, I didn't take it to heart when you said it anyways, but I do believe that Lynch is the future RB of the Packers if we can get him in the draft. And as for Partials comment, I don't know what would lead you to believe that TT would never draft a RB in the first round. I believe he uses the BPA rule and in this draft that player might very well be Lynch.

I say this because I think TT is the type of guy who builds a strong line and will plug in whomever. 1000 yard rushers are a dime a dozen. Unless its a truly special game changer, its not worth fretting over. That's why i'm not too bummed about losing Green.

Denver has drafted two backs high in recent memory with Tatum Bell and Clinton Portis. I think TT will take advantage of good second round backs who fall and second day picks for the position so long as they commit to the ZBS.

Then again I could be totally off.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 11:00 PM
ESPN makes it sound like Denver is in the lead for Henry, the Giants are in the lead for Rhodes, and that the Ravens are in the lead to resign Jamal Lewis.

jmbarnes101
03-04-2007, 11:19 PM
We can go one of three ways to get our next RB.

Free Agents
DOminic Rhodes
Travis Henry

Trade
Michael Turner
Willis McGahee
Clinton Portis = now way Betts take the deal he did without knowing he would be the starter.

Draft
Lynch
Plethera of other RB's

Not all is doom and gloom. I'd like to see us trade for Turner, McGahee, or Portis, keep Morency and draft a player to replace Herron. Also, bring in Grifftith. We have the cap room to get this done.

imscott72
03-04-2007, 11:39 PM
We can go one of three ways to get our next RB.

Free Agents
DOminic Rhodes
Travis Henry

Trade
Michael Turner
Willis McGahee
Clinton Portis = now way Betts take the deal he did without knowing he would be the starter.

Draft
Lynch
Plethera of other RB's

Not all is doom and gloom. I'd like to see us trade for Turner, McGahee, or Portis, keep Morency and draft a player to replace Herron. Also, bring in Grifftith. We have the cap room to get this done.

Won't be Portis..Betts prob headed to Denver..

Dre' Bly reportedly wants to play for the Redskins, and could force a trade from Denver.

Bly and Washington were negotiating a contract when it looked like he might be traded to Washington. Denver coach Mike Shanahan reportedly likes Shawn Springs and Ladell Betts, so there is a chance trade talks will resume. Bly reportedly agreed to terms on a new deal with Denver, but nothing has been signed.
Source: Washington Post

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2007, 12:20 AM
It's a bit doom and gloom. We won't make a trade. Not for the cost. The FA RBs all have their warts. If we wait until the draft, then that's one less pick to use on other needs--which we still have (TE, S, CB, WR, possibly LB).

chain_gang
03-05-2007, 07:14 AM
What's this do for the Texans, Dominick Williams(Davis)? Are they going to keep him and green? Wasn't it last year or the year before they paid him some big money? I know he messed up his knee last year, but if he's going to be healthy he'd be a great back for Green Bay, with his running and receiving ability. Either way if the Texans release him he'd be worth a shot with an incentive laden deal.

gureski
03-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Nobody has really mentioned D.Foster of Carolina yet. With the emergence of Williams as the main guy going into this year compiled with Foster's high salary and low durability....AND Carolina's depth at RB....Foster may be a guy who is cut after June 1. If that's the case, the Packers could do well to take a look at him. He's always been good. The guy just can't stay healthy.

The interesting thing is who will be the pounder next year? Morency isn't a pounder. Depending on who the Packers add to their RB stable, they may need a guy who can pound out the 1 yard runs.

Guiness
03-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Jamal Lewis would be horrible in a one cut system. He's like Jerome Bettis. A big back who likes to dance around (feet bouncing all around) before looking for somebody to hit. He's also a terrible receiver.

Agreed. I don't know that his 'happy feet' are that bad, but it seems his concentration watching the ball into his hands is not good. Signing him would be the end of that screen play we all love watching so much.

Cheesehead Craig
03-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I believe that Morency has the skills to get the job done. With a training camp under his belt, he'll have a fine season.

Guiness
03-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Forgot about McGahee. Anyone hear why the Bills are shopping him? This confuses me - unless they want to make the ATrain a starter?

I think he would be a nice fit. Will certainly command a first day pick, however.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Forgot about McGahee. Anyone hear why the Bills are shopping him? This confuses me - unless they want to make the ATrain a starter?

I think he would be a nice fit. Will certainly command a first day pick, however.

It would be so dumb for packers to trade for McGahee when we could of just signed AG and keep all our draft picks. Trading for a RB would make no sense to me what so ever.

ND72
03-05-2007, 09:03 AM

It would be so dumb for packers to trade for McGahee when we could of just signed AG and keep all our draft picks. Trading for a RB would make no sense to me what so ever.

Yeah...trading for a guy 5 years younger than Green, and a better fit for the zone system would be a dumb idea.... :roll:

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 09:04 AM
I believe that Morency has the skills to get the job done. With a training camp under his belt, he'll have a fine season.

That is simply an assumption Cheesehead Craig.

If YOU were the GM of the Packers, how would you logically back that up?

ND72
03-05-2007, 09:05 AM

I actually said after the Philly game that Morency has all the tools to be our starting HB. I don't think he has the ability to be a 20 carries a game guy, but in a split back situation, I think he could get us 15 a game and be very good.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-05-2007, 09:09 AM

Yeah...trading for a guy 5 years younger than Green, and a better fit for the zone system would be a dumb idea.... :roll:

In the beginning of next season McGahee will be 27, so in about two years everyone is going to be talking about how we need to draft a younger back. If you keep AG, either this year or next you could draft a young back to play behind green for a year. That way you have Green and your future. If you trade for McGahee you have to give up a high pick for him and in about 2 years use another high pick on a RB. Like I said, it would be dumb.

Partial
03-05-2007, 09:36 AM

McGahee is overrated, though. I question his toughness, big time.

Partial
03-05-2007, 09:37 AM

I actually said after the Philly game that Morency has all the tools to be our starting HB. I don't think he has the ability to be a 20 carries a game guy, but in a split back situation, I think he could get us 15 a game and be very good.

Yep, he had far more big plays than Green last year.

Cheesehead Craig
03-05-2007, 10:58 AM

These guys seem to have my back here. Morency showed great vision and good instincts when given the chance last year. You could see it in his play, that's logical enough. Just as it's logical that the OL will be better run blockers this year after having time to adjust to the new scheme, Morency will be better with having more time and reps.

I just fail to see why we need to completely reinvent the wheel at RB when we already have a pretty good one for the system. I'm not advocating against drafting a RB or signing one in FA, but to completely discount him in the offensive gameplan as a legit option is foolish.

Partial
03-05-2007, 11:02 AM

These guys seem to have my back here. Morency showed great vision and good instincts when given the chance last year. You could see it in his play, that's logical enough. Just as it's logical that the OL will be better run blockers this year after having time to adjust to the new scheme, Morency will be better with having more time and reps.

I just fail to see why we need to completely reinvent the wheel at RB when we already have a pretty good one for the system. I'm not advocating against drafting a RB or signing one in FA, but to completely discount him in the offensive gameplan as a legit option is foolish.

They will need to bring someone in to split carries.

No sense in drafting an 8.0 prospect like Lynch at 20 when we can land a 9.5 prospect at 20 next year in the deepest running back draft ever.

Travis Henry would be a good, one year stopgap.