PDA

View Full Version : Ahman Green signs with Texans

DannoMac21
03-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Brother in law just saw it on NFL Network.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 05:07 PM
OK I feel dumb :oops:

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 05:08 PM
TEXANS LASSO AHMAN

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the Houston Texans have signed running back Ahman Green.

Green, who has spent the last seven seasons with the Packers, will be reuinted with former Green Bay coach/G.M. Mike Sherman in Houston. Sherman is an assistant head coach with the Texans.

The aging tailback generated strong interest, and could re-establish himself as a star runner in the Texans' zone-blocking scheme.

Of course, it remains to be seen what the Texans will do at quarterback. David Carr, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft, is not expected to return. The identity of his replacement is, at this point, anyone's guess.

Bub
03-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Good luck Green.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Look, I don't want to be an ASS but I have to say this. In the Leonard Davis thread you said "this is why i love TT", related to NOT OVERPAYING to get a FA.

On the same basis, YOU SHOULD BE THRILLED, because TT didn't overpay to keep aging talent...

Pack_Attack88
03-04-2007, 05:18 PM
I am still pleased by TT because he is not worth what the Texans most likely gave him at his age...

We used his best years up and now its time to move on!

THank you for your service Ahman!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 05:21 PM

Look, I don't want to be an ASS but I have to say this. In the Leonard Davis thread you said "this is why i love TT", related to NOT OVERPAYING to get a FA.

On the same basis, YOU SHOULD BE THRILLED, because TT didn't overpay to keep aging talent...

I said I love TT for not overpaying on players for outrageous contracts, but what you forgot to post is all the times I said I want Green back and how he's worth a 3 year 15 mil dollar contract. Because I'm willing to pay 5 mil for one of the most loyal players the packers ever had and not 8 mil for a guard I should get called out on it. I don't see your point ass.

imscott72
03-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah this one hurts, but lets see what he got before we get too pissed off. We better make a run at Travis Henry or McGahee now...Wasn't expecting this to happen. I wonder if Ahman even gave TT a chance to match it?

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:25 PM

I said I love TT for not overpaying on players for outrageous contracts, but what you forgot to post is all the times I said I want Green back and how he's worth a 3 year 15 mil dollar contract. Because I'm willing to pay 5 mil for one of the most loyal players the packers ever had and not 8 mil for a guard I should get called out on it. I don't see your point ass.

My point is that you can't say that you love him when he DOESN'T overpay, but be disappointed when he doesn't do what you thought he should.

Failing to resign Ahman is NOT A GOOD THING for 2007.

But, you really shouldn't complain about it. Cause you're on THE PLAN.

Unless, you're only partially on the plan?

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm all about the plan RG but in this case, it was tough to see him go. I think Henry might be the better player "now" and come cheaper so it might work out. But even if you like TT it doesn't mean you support everything. He's going to make his mistakes. This might be one of them.

falco
03-04-2007, 05:28 PM
My point is that you can't say that you love him when he DOESN'T overpay, but be disappointed when he doesn't do what you thought he should.

RG, his point was that he was glad TT was not overpaying for players, but that he felt AG was worth $5/yr; hence if TT did sign him for that it wouldn't be overpaying. I don't see how he is contradicting himself. You're the one making an ass out of yourself.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 05:30 PM

What are you talking about? The plan? Am on the plan were you reward your hard working players and you stay away and not overpaying for players who are not worth it. AG is one of the most hard working players on the team, 5 mil a year for me is not over paying.

red
03-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah this one hurts, but lets see what he got before we get too pissed off. We better make a run at Travis Henry or McGahee now...Wasn't expecting this to happen. I wonder if Ahman even gave TT a chance to match it?

no we can most definately be pissed off now. TT should have resigned him many months ago when we found out he was recovered from the injury

it never should have gotten this far

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:40 PM
What are you talking about? The plan? Am on the plan were you reward your hard working players and you stay away and not overpaying for players who are not worth it. AG is one of the most hard working players on the team, 5 mil a year for me is not over paying.

But, it WAS OVERPAYING for Thompson, and THAT, my friend is what matters. He felt it was too much. Maybe he has a backup plan. Maybe he doesn't. We'll see.

I just hope his backup plan does does not look like Adrian Klemm, Will Whittacre, or Marquand Manuel. Perhaps there is a "diamond in the rough" out there.

He sure the hell won't pay Travis Henry, or Jamal Lewis, or Corey Dillon.

But don't worry we will draft 27 7th rounders after we trade down 15 times.

We'll find the next Marques Colston.... Just believe.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:42 PM
no we can most definately be pissed off now. TT should have resigned him many months ago when we found out he was recovered from the injury

it never should have gotten this far

But it has.... And it is not ending anytime soon.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 05:44 PM

But, it WAS OVERPAYING for Thompson, and THAT, my friend is what matters. He felt it was too much. Maybe he has a backup plan. Maybe he doesn't. We'll see.

I just hope his backup plan does does not look like Adrian Klemm, Will Whittacre, or Marquand Manuel. Perhaps there is a "diamond in the rough" out there.

He sure the hell won't pay Travis Henry, or Jamal Lewis, or Corey Dillon.

But don't worry we will draft 27 7th rounders after we trade down 15 times.

We'll find the next Marques Colston.... Just believe.

Am I supposed to laugh HAHA

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Am I supposed to laugh HAHA

No. You are supposed to BELIEVE. Just ignore that "kicked in the gut feeling"

It'll all be OK.... THE MAN is in charge.... and you love him....

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm gonna wait until we know what Green got to make my judgment on TT.

Mr. Green, good luck and thank you for all you did for this franchise. It's sad to see such a good player go to such a shmuck as Mike Sherman. However, I can see why you made the choice.

And me thinks that Travis Henry will be a Packer by Wednesday evening, at the latest.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Ahman was worth overpaying for a bit. He was underpaid for many years, a great teammate, and he was friggin' 45 yards from the Packers rushing record.

Good luck to Ahman! I have a bad feeling that his career isn't going to go well from here on out. Just a bad team to play for.

MJZiggy
03-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Especially if the lose their QB.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
And me thinks that Travis Henry will be a Packer by Wednesday evening, at the latest.

Only if he agrees to play for free. And then, maybe not.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM

Only if he agrees to play for free. And then, maybe not.

C'mon, Retail, you act like we just lost Brett Favre in FA to the Bears or something. I wanted Ahman as much as everyone on here, but the NFL is a business and we don't know what goes on beyond those closed doors. For all we know, the Texans said to Green, "Here's your offer, right here, right now, take it or leave it." We just don't know what goes on.

oregonpackfan
03-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Losing Green should hit the Packers with a sense of urgency. Who is going to be their #1 running back?

Morency is a #2 at best. Herron at #3 would not make the cut of 90% of NFL teams.

One cannot expect a rookie to come in and be the #1 running back.

We have seen in past years when the Packers do not have a running game to go with the passing game. Favre starts forcing passes resulting in more interceptions.

TT needs to sign a #1 veteran running back from free agency soon!

Spaulding
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Texans | Deal reached with former Packers' RB Green
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:45:18 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports unrestricted free-agent RB Ahman Green (Packers) has reached a contract agreement with the Houston Texans. John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the deal is worth $23 million over four years and has $6.5 million guaranteed.

GRIM!!

Only 6.5mil guaranteed although if the full contract is honored it's almost 6mil/yr.

Wish he'd have retired a Packer and finished with the rushing record.

Sad, sad day. This almost forces our hand to land the baggage that comes with Henry, cough up draft picks for McGahee which has WARNING written on it otherwise Buffalo would be extending his contract, or draft Lynch in still available.

imscott72
03-04-2007, 06:49 PM
6 million is too much. Let him go...We'll move on without him..I don't feel so bad now..

Bretsky
03-04-2007, 07:18 PM
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Rastak
03-04-2007, 07:20 PM
6 million is too much. Let him go...We'll move on without him..I don't feel so bad now..

With 21mil in the bank, how is 6mil too much? For your starting RB?

I don't think it's a calmity but that was easily matched I think....

red
03-04-2007, 07:27 PM
if set up in a certain way that contract green just signed would only count a little over 3 million against this years cap

3 million when we have 21 million available is pretty pathetic

b bulldog
03-04-2007, 10:12 PM
3 mil this season, 9 mil next season

imscott72
03-04-2007, 10:27 PM

With 21mil in the bank, how is 6mil too much? For your starting RB?

I don't think it's a calmity but that was easily matched I think....

Ahman was 30 yrs old with a lot of mileage on him. Not only that but he constantly came out at key times during games because of his asthma. Not to sounds like an ass, but when your paying 6 mill, you shouldn't have to worry about that. Clearly being a Packer wasn't as important as he said, nor was playing on a winning team. It was all about the $$$, which is why he took the gig with Houston.
Ahman, thanks for the memories, time to move on.