PDA

View Full Version : Green Signs With Texans

pbmax
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
according to PFT:

POSTED 6:03 p.m. EST, March 4, 2007

TEXANS LASSO AHMAN

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the Houston Texans have signed running back Ahman Green.

Green, who has spent the last seven seasons with the Packers, will be reuinted with former Green Bay coach/G.M. Mike Sherman in Houston. Sherman is an assistant head coach with the Texans.

The aging tailback generated strong interest, and could re-establish himself as a star runner in the Texans' zone-blocking scheme.

Of course, it remains to be seen what the Texans will do at quarterback. David Carr, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft, is not expected to return. The identity of his replacement is, at this point, anyone's guess.

pbmax
03-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Wow, three threads in 30 seconds. At least we're paying attention

pbmax
03-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Tracking the comings and goings in free agency

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

Free agency has opened with a flurry of activity. Already, numerous teams are on the board. Take a glance at the deals, and the potential soon-to-be deals.

Sunday, March 4
Running back Ahman Green reached agreement on a contract with Houston Texans.

wist43
03-04-2007, 05:17 PM
TT will regret this...

Green was a very solid back. The Packers definitely took a step backward.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Should not be surprised... Apparently was not in TT's plans. I love
Ahman and thank him for the times here. He is on the back side of his career. Now, who do we take for our Back?????????

red
03-04-2007, 05:21 PM
god damnit TT

what the hell was that?

he better pull something special out of his ass to replace green

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
god damnit TT

what the hell was that?

Who is the "Taco Wallace" of Running Backs?

red
03-04-2007, 05:23 PM
god damnit TT

what the hell was that?

burrito jones?

GrnBay007
03-04-2007, 05:24 PM
TT just dropped 5 notches in my book. This is SO wrong!!!!!

Pacopete4
03-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Ahman is one of my fav packers... worked his tail off for us.. and we didnt reward him.. just sad, pure sad

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 05:26 PM

I agree he is worth 5 mil a year, TT fucked up here. Even if we draft lynch, Green would have been a great compliment.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:27 PM
god damnit TT

what the hell was that?

burrito jones?

sign him up. Marquand Manuel can tutor him.

red
03-04-2007, 05:27 PM

i agree

he just let a pretty damn good running back, and a giant fan favorit walk out the door over a couple million dollars we can easily afford

not on out there right now is as good as him. and there is a chance lynch won't be there when we pick either

i would like to hear TT's explanation about this

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Ahman is one of my fav packers... worked his tail off for us.. and we didnt reward him.. just sad, pure sad

But we'd have had to overpay. Don't worry, we'll build through the draft....

2009 here we come... THIS IS A SICK JOKE....

wist43
03-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Wrong is one thing... stupid is another. Plenty of cap room - stupid.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:29 PM
[quote=GrnBay007]

i would like to hear TT's explanation about this

That would be a first... WHEN IS THE LAST TIME HE EXPLAINED ANYTHING TO A FAN? HMMM?[/u][/i]

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:30 PM

C'mon over to the dark side. It's getting crowded over here...

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 05:30 PM
This is tough for all of us. I'm a huge TT supporter but I really hope he makes up for this. Green is all football, all the time. I suspect he was hepped up on HGH. He could have lasted well into his 30's like the other performance enhanced athletes.

Damn..This is rough.

wist43
03-04-2007, 05:32 PM
How many rookie RB's are able to come in and carry the load???

Even if Lynch is there at 16, and TT does pick him, the chances that he'll come in and go for 1,000 or better aren't good.

This one is inexplicable.

POLISHHAWK
03-04-2007, 05:32 PM
TT probably know's Green's health makes him only a part timer. Let's move on and see what his move is going to be.

Joemailman
03-04-2007, 05:33 PM

C'mon over to the dark side. It's getting crowded over here...

Keep On The Sunny Side

There's a dark and a troubled side of life
There's a bright and a sunny side too
Though we meet with the darkness and strife
The sunny side we also may view

Keep on the sunny side always on the sunny side
Keep on the sunny side of life
It will help us every day it will brighten all our way
If we keep on the sunny side of life

Oh the storm and its fury broke today
Crushing hopes that we cherish so dear
The clouds and storm will in time pass away
The sun again will shine bright and clear

Let us greet with a song of hope each day
Though the moment be cloudy or fair
Let us trust in our Savior always
To keep us every one in His care

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:34 PM

Even if Lynch is there at 16, and TT does pick him, the chances that he'll come in and go for 1,000 or better aren't good.

We'll find a guy in the 4th round. He'll start this year and be ready for 2009...

Don't worry. Be happy. THE MAN is on the watch, not overpaying, not reacting.

He LEADING damn it, he's LEADING. What a joke.

Lurker64
03-04-2007, 05:36 PM
This is a business. TT's job is to spend the money allotted to him in the way that makes the team the best, not in the way that makes us the happiest.

Do I like Green? Yes. Would I prefer to have him in Green Bay next year? Yes. Will I condemn Thompson? Not until I see what the Texans gave Ahman.

I also find this funny. At the end of the season, the majority of Packer fans were singing Thompson's praises and were optimistic about the good position he's set us up in. Come free agency? Everybody's on his case. Come the day after the draft? Everybody will be lauding Thompson as a genius again.

Damn we're fickle.

Joemailman
03-04-2007, 05:37 PM

Well, we don't know yet if the Packers RB will be a rookie yet, but Indy won the Super Bowl with Addai as their #1 rusher.

Charles Woodson
03-04-2007, 05:38 PM
So you guys think TT is planing to draft Marshawn all along?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 05:40 PM
This is a business. TT's job is to spend the money allotted to him in the way that makes the team the best, not in the way that makes us the happiest.

Do I like Green? Yes. Would I prefer to have him in Green Bay next year? Yes. Will I condemn Thompson? Not until I see what the Texans gave Ahman.

I also find this funny. At the end of the season, the majority of Packer fans were singing Thompson's praises and were optimistic about the good position he's set us up in. Come free agency? Everybody's on his case. Come the day after the draft? Everybody will be lauding Thompson as a genius again.

Damn we're fickle.

It doesn't matter what the texans gave him, because if we just showed him a little love before free agency he wouldnt even have been a free agent.

jconnor99
The Texans have reached an agreement with their first free agent Green Bay running back Ahmad Green.

Green, 30, is signing a four-year contract worth $22 million, including $6.5 million in guarantees.

Green has been one of the most productive running backs in the NFL for the past seven years.

The former Nebraska running back enjoyed his five best seasons (2000-2004) when Mike Sherman was the Packers head coach. During that period, he never rushed for fewer than 1,163 yards. HIs best season was 2003 when he rushed 1,883 yards and scored 20 touchdowns.

Green immediately becomes the starter, from a group that includes Wally Lundy, Chris Taylor and Samkon Gado

The Texans are trying to resign Ron Dayne.

Green, a no 1. pick by Seattle in 1998, is a ten-year veteran, who rushed for 1,059 yards and scored six touchdowns last season.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4601378.html

Pacopete4
no.. he has a super secret plan.. shhh

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 05:41 PM

Well, we don't know yet if the Packers RB will be a rookie yet, but Indy won the Super Bowl with Addai as their #1 rusher.

Yes but they also had a vet a spilt the carries.

red
03-04-2007, 05:41 PM

rookies play good when they have a vet to split time with

all these two headed approches usually have 1 vet and 1 rook

pbmax
03-04-2007, 05:42 PM
I love this quote and it temporarily lifted the dark mood of Green leaving. Even the non-football fan I read this too laughed and they have no idea what a Taco Wallace is.

Lurker64
03-04-2007, 05:43 PM
It doesn't matter what the texans gave him, because if we just showed him a little love before free agency he wouldnt even have been a free agent.

I'm sorry, I wasn't privy to Thompson and Green's private negotiations. I didn't know that you were. Can you please explain to me what makes you think this?

You don't know that Green wasn't dead set on seeing what the price the FA market would put on him, and was only saying "I'd like to stay in Green Bay" in order to milk a mega-deal from Thompson.

This is a business, Green's objective is to get the most for Ahman. Thompson's objective is to get the most for the Packers, I know whose side I'm on.

pbmax
03-04-2007, 05:46 PM
That is a lot of coin. Could be a year to year deal depending on how the gurantees are set up. If its all upfront, I can see it as to expensive.

If there are roster bonuses in out years, then we let him get away too easily.

The Texans have reached an agreement with their first free agent Green Bay running back Ahmad Green.

Green, 30, is signing a four-year contract worth $22 million, including $6.5 million in guarantees.

Green has been one of the most productive running backs in the NFL for the past seven years.

The former Nebraska running back enjoyed his five best seasons (2000-2004) when Mike Sherman was the Packers head coach. During that period, he never rushed for fewer than 1,163 yards. HIs best season was 2003 when he rushed 1,883 yards and scored 20 touchdowns.

Green immediately becomes the starter, from a group that includes Wally Lundy, Chris Taylor and Samkon Gado

The Texans are trying to resign Ron Dayne.

Green, a no 1. pick by Seattle in 1998, is a ten-year veteran, who rushed for 1,059 yards and scored six touchdowns last season.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4601378.html

esoxx
03-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Actually, 6.5 million in guaranteed money isn't too bad. Say he re-tears his quad two games in. The Texans are only on the hook for his salary for '07 and the signing bonus. Spread out over four years it's quite easily taken care of and isn't going to put a team up against it.

All and all, pretty good deal for the Texans.

If Ahman performs and stays healthy, good deal for him too.

TT's going to face some pretty intense scrutiny over this one.

pbmax
Pressure is really on. Denver keeps shuffling backs in and out and gets by. Thompson needs to get the right guy. Maybe Raymont Harris is available.

PaCkFan_n_MD

I'm sorry, I wasn't privy to Thompson and Green's private negotiations. I didn't know that you were. Can you please explain to me what makes you think this?

You don't know that Green wasn't dead set on seeing what the price the FA market would put on him, and was only saying "I'd like to stay in Green Bay" in order to milk a mega-deal from Thompson.

This is a business, Green's objective is to get the most for Ahman. Thompson's objective is to get the most for the Packers, I know whose side I'm on.

Well he just signed a 4 year 22 mil dollar deal. Just over 5 mil a year, so obviously TT didn't offer him that much or he would taken our deal. I don’t have to be in there private negotiations to know that because GREEN SAID many times that if the packers offer a similar deal that he would sign with us. I would want 3 years over 4 though.

MJZiggy
03-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Ok, someone get me my valium. I thought I was clear on this one: you pay your own, not someone else's reject. That's two RB's I liked that ended up in Houston. Best of luck to Ahman and I hope TT knows what he's doing...

pbmax
03-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Silverstein has it as $8 million for the first year.

Green signs with Houston Texans
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: March 4, 2007

The Houston Texans made Ahman Green an offer he couldn't refuse, leaving the Green Bay Packers in the dust.

Ahman Green will leave Green Bay as the Packers' second all-time leading rusher.

Green agreed to terms with the Texans Sunday on a four-year, $23 million contract that an NFL source said will pay Green $8 million in the first year. The deal reportedly consists of $6.5 million in guaranteed money.

The Packers were offering far less than that and were leery of offering more than $5 million for the 2007 season. The two sides negotiated throughout the day, but the Packers weren't willing to match Houston's offer and let Green go.

Green indicated to Houston reporters Sunday before the deal was announced that it would be hard to leave Green Bay, but apparently the decision was easy when he got wind of the Texans' offer. Undoubtedly, former Packers coach Mike Sherman, who is now the offensive coordinator for the Texans, played a big role in convincing owner Bob McNair to pay such a high price for a 30-year old running back.

wist43
03-04-2007, 05:54 PM
All that matters is the guarenteed money...

$6.5 is nothing... I'm surprised at how much you guys under rate Green.

Go back and look at the tapes from last year... had very little running room. Turned 2 yds into 4; turned 4 into 8... The Packers are definitely going to miss his toughness, burst, blocking.

He's a damn good back who won't be easy to replace... the Packers definitely took hit by losing him.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 05:56 PM

Go back and look at the tapes from last year... had very little running room. Turned 2 yds into 4; turned 4 into 8... The Packers are definitely going to miss his toughness, burst, blocking.

He's a damn good back who won't be easy to replace... the Packers definitely took hit by losing him.

If they'd have offered him 6.5 for 07 before FA, he'd have never KNOWN that there was 8mil on the table, because he'd have taken it.

This is a bad blow for 07... bad...

Lurker64
03-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Well he just signed a 4 year 22 mil dollar deal. Just over 5 mil a year, so obviously TT didn't offer him that much or he would taken our deal. I don’t have to be in there private negotiations to know that because GREEN SAID many times that if the packers offer a similar deal that he would sign with us. I would want 3 years over 4 though.

I'm just wondering why you think that Green's loyalty to the Packers is stronger than his loyalty to Sherman. Green's best years were all under Sherman. Players regularly accept offers to play for people they know and like which they wouldn't take from other teams. Green played two years with Thompson, and spent half of one of those injured, and only one year with McCarthy and didn't have great success with our running scheme.

Maybe Green was insistent about the fourth year, which you and I agree wouldn't have been a good idea. In negotiations like this, you can't take "what people say to the media" at face value, because it's generally a bluff to increase your position at the bargaining table. Eight million for this year (which is money he will see) is an awful lot, I'm not sure I wouldn't have let him walk too.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm gonna wait until we know what Green got to make my judgment on TT.

Mr. Green, good luck and thank you for all you did for this franchise. It's sad to see such a good player go to such a shmuck as Mike Sherman. However, I can see why you made the choice.

And me thinks that Travis Henry will be a Packer by Wednesday evening, at the latest.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 06:01 PM
When AG accepted a one year deal last year to prove his worth and that he was recovered from injury, that says a lot to me. I don't need the media to say anything, actions speak louder than words.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm gonna wait until we know what Green got to make my judgment on TT.

Mr. Green, good luck and thank you for all you did for this franchise. It's sad to see such a good player go to such a shmuck as Mike Sherman. However, I can see why you made the choice.

And me thinks that Travis Henry will be a Packer by Wednesday evening, at the latest.

4 years 22 mil 6.5 SB

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 06:03 PM
This one stings. The fact I'm not enamored with any of the FA RBs or rookie RBs makes it worse.

Maybe Marshawn Lynch is the guy.

Jamal Lewis is a terrible fit. Travis Henry fumbles even more than Ahman, and he's one incident away from being suspended for the year. Chris Brown is injury prone.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 06:04 PM
4 years 22 mil 6.5 SB

That's really not a lot of guaranteed money. If it was structured like Fred Taylor's contract, then it was only worth about $4.5-5M/year the first two years.

falco
03-04-2007, 06:05 PM
This one stings. The fact I'm not enamored with any of the FA RBs or rookie RBs makes it worse.

Maybe Marshawn Lynch is the guy.

Jamal Lewis is a terrible fit. Travis Henry fumbles even more than Ahman, and he's one incident away from being suspended for the year. Chris Brown is injury prone.

I can't believe TT would risk Lynch not being there at #16 - he's got to sign somebody else and soon.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 06:07 PM
I think loyalty, on both parts, the player and the franchise, didn't play into this as much as we thought.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Screw that! Sounds like the Houston offer was CONSIDERABLY more than Green Bay's offer--maybe $2M/year more. You can't blame Ahman for that. He really sounded like a guy that really wanted to stay, but just couldn't for that much difference.

cpk1994
03-04-2007, 06:09 PM

I'm just wondering why you think that Green's loyalty to the Packers is stronger than his loyalty to Sherman. Green's best years were all under Sherman. Players regularly accept offers to play for people they know and like which they wouldn't take from other teams. Green played two years with Thompson, and spent half of one of those injured, and only one year with McCarthy and didn't have great success with our running scheme.

Maybe Green was insistent about the fourth year, which you and I agree wouldn't have been a good idea. In negotiations like this, you can't take "what people say to the media" at face value, because it's generally a bluff to increase your position at the bargaining table. Eight million for this year (which is money he will see) is an awful lot, I'm not sure I wouldn't have let him walk too.

Not to nitpick, but Houston runs the same scheme as the Pack does. Sherman is down there, yes. Kubiak runs the show.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 06:10 PM
I think loyalty, on both parts, the player and the franchise, didn't play into this as much as we thought.

LOYALTY? You think this was about loyalty? You can't be serious? This was about making as much money as he can, for the last two or three years of his career...

FritzDontBlitz
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
god this is so fucked up. all ahman wanted was 5 mil, he get's 6.5 GUARANTEED. its a shame ahman has to leave green bay to finally get due compensation for being the great player he was for the pack. :evil:

peace out batman, thanks for the memories....

now.

tt should work a trade for thomas jones of chicago. he's damn near the spittin image of ahman green and he's anxious to get out of chicago. besides, can you think of a better way to stick a fork in the bears than by signing away the backbone of THEIR offense to compensate for losing the backbone of OURS? 8)

Joemailman
03-04-2007, 06:21 PM
The Bears are not going to trade their #1 running back to a division rival that just lost their #1 running back.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 06:23 PM
The Bears are not going to trade their #1 running back to a division rival that just lost their #1 running back.

Was thinking the same thing.

Merlin
03-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I have heard enough of that "play for the money later in your career" crap. Face it, TT was too cheap to resign Green. He has been in the league 10 years and maybe has another 2 good years left in him. TT could have easily from loaded his contract ala Woodson and then brought in a rookie. on paper 23 million seems like a lot but it works out to a big payday this year, mediocre pay the middle years and a balloon at the end.

Not many running backs in the history of the NFL have been as consistant as Green. Sure, his asthma is a concern but we only use the guy from the goaline to the 30 and the 30 to the goaline.

As far as Green's loyalty to the Packers, he was loyal and TT kicked him in the groin. 5 Million after proving he was back with a horrible run blocking oline? Seems like peanuts to me. He won't fair very well in Houston unless they change their offense. He can run over anyone but you have to have holes to run through in the MFL to gain more then 1,000 yards.

Ahman Green would not have signed with Denver but when I heard he was interviewing with Houston, I knew he was as good as gone. You would think because of the success we had in FA last year that TT would open his eyes and realize that Green was an intregal part of the makeup of this team. What next? Morency to the Vikings? Henderson to the Bills? Wait, I know...Brett Favre, Donald Driver, 1st round pick and a conditional 2nd next year for Aaron Brooks.

I will miss Ahman Green and I wish him the best of luck in Houston. I harbor no ill feelings and I am sure he did what he thought was best for him. No faulting a guy for doing that.

Morecny has proven he is good enough to start, I only question whether or not the guy can hang onto the ball. He has good size, speed and hands and he did pick holes in our offense better then Green did. He is a true one cut back. Put some stickum on his hands and get ready for Ahman Green part II.

Lurker64
03-04-2007, 06:28 PM
god this is so fucked up. all ahman wanted was 5 mil, he get's 6.5 GUARANTEED. its a shame ahman has to leave green bay to finally get due compensation for being the great player he was for the pack. )

He's getting a 6.5 signing bonus and a salary of 8 million in his first year. That's 14.5 million in his pocket for one year. That sounds like a lot more than the five million that was "all he wanted."

red
03-04-2007, 06:42 PM
god this is so fucked up. all ahman wanted was 5 mil, he get's 6.5 GUARANTEED. its a shame ahman has to leave green bay to finally get due compensation for being the great player he was for the pack. )

He's getting a 6.5 signing bonus and a salary of 8 million in his first year. That's 14.5 million in his pocket for one year. That sounds like a lot more than the five million that was "all he wanted."

he wanted a contract that paid him 5 million a year, he got a contract that pays him 5.5 million a year

TT would not give him the 5 million he wanted

and you have your numbers all wrong

he doesn't get 14.5 this year. he gets 8 this year. 6.5 of the contract is guaranteed. meaning thats the bonus money. if its all a signing bonus he gets it all right now, but the cap hit is spread over 4 years. meaning the remainer of that 8 million would be his salary, 1.5 million

his cap number for this year might be about 3.25 million. if thats how his bonus is

it could be a roster bonus, which would cost more against the ap this year.

but the bottom line is he gets a total of 8 million this year. the maximum it would count against the cap is 8 million, the least it would count is around 3.25 million

retailguy
03-04-2007, 06:43 PM

He's not getting 8 mil in salary in addition to the bonus. He's getting 8mil TOTAL. That's a salary of 1.5 plus a bonus.... If you stopped trying to spin this favorably and just learned to read and do simple math.... you'd see.

This is screwed up. SCREWED UP. Open your eyes...

Joemailman
03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
I have heard enough of that "play for the money later in your career" crap. Face it, TT was too cheap to resign Green. He has been in the league 10 years and maybe has another 2 good years left in him. TT could have easily from loaded his contract ala Woodson and then brought in a rookie. on paper 23 million seems like a lot but it works out to a big payday this year, mediocre pay the middle years and a balloon at the end.

Not many running backs in the history of the NFL have been as consistant as Green. Sure, his asthma is a concern but we only use the guy from the goaline to the 30 and the 30 to the goaline.

As far as Green's loyalty to the Packers, he was loyal and TT kicked him in the groin. 5 Million after proving he was back with a horrible run blocking oline? Seems like peanuts to me. He won't fair very well in Houston unless they change their offense. He can run over anyone but you have to have holes to run through in the MFL to gain more then 1,000 yards.

Ahman Green would not have signed with Denver but when I heard he was interviewing with Houston, I knew he was as good as gone. You would think because of the success we had in FA last year that TT would open his eyes and realize that Green was an intregal part of the makeup of this team. What next? Morency to the Vikings? Henderson to the Bills? Wait, I know...Brett Favre, Donald Driver, 1st round pick and a conditional 2nd next year for Aaron Brooks.

I will miss Ahman Green and I wish him the best of luck in Houston. I harbor no ill feelings and I am sure he did what he thought was best for him. No faulting a guy for doing that.

Morecny has proven he is good enough to start, I only question whether or not the guy can hang onto the ball. He has good size, speed and hands and he did pick holes in our offense better then Green did. He is a true one cut back. Put some stickum on his hands and get ready for Ahman Green part II.

If Morency is as good as you say he is, why are you upset about losing Green? If you have a young, lower paid guy ready to step in for a veteran, doesn't it make sense to let the veteran go, and spend the money somewhere else?

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 06:53 PM

He's not getting 8 mil in salary in addition to the bonus. He's getting 8mil TOTAL. That's a salary of 1.5 plus a bonus.... If you stopped trying to spin this favorably and just learned to read and do simple math.... you'd see.

RG, you're turning into quite a troll lately. Is is a good idea for a moderator to be a troll? :shock:

At the very least, your new outlook doesn't match the "Kool-Aid" appellation and avatar.

Rastak
03-04-2007, 06:54 PM

RG, you're turning into quite a troll lately. Is is a good idea for a moderator to be a troll? :shock:

At the very least, your new outlook doesn't match the "Kool-Aid" appellation and avatar.

Good point...where's the blind optimism?

edit:

Well, let me somewhat correct that smart ass response. A troll is a guy or gal who posts on a board to bait people. Isn't it just possible it's his honest opinion? Are only certain opinions allowed?

Packnut
03-04-2007, 06:59 PM

Why should it surprise you? According to some here, Herron and Morency will be a dynamite duo and we have a solid WR corps. People see what they want, not what has been right in front of their eyes. I'm done. If it makes some here happy to believe bullshit, then who am I to rain on their parade.

Keep Manuel at saftey and count on a rookie RB with Morency. Let's watch Bubba drop a few more. God forbid we over-pay for a need player. Let's just build through the draft and hope that in 3 years, we're competetive.

Everythings ok. Just believe in Ted and everything will work out fine. Why you ask? Cause that's the way we all want it! :lol:

retailguy
03-04-2007, 07:07 PM

edit:

Well, let me somewhat correct that smart ass response. A troll is a guy or gal who posts on a board to bait people. Isn't it just possible it's his honest opinion? Are only certain opinions allowed?

Well. Interesting. A troll? Hardly.

I've put up with so much shit related to my dislike for Thompson, and my appreciation for Mike Sherman, I frankly don't care what anyone thinks of me right now.

I have maintained for MONTHS that Thompson makes A J Smith look like a pushover, and his "methods" may work, but, ala Seattle, will take YEARS to implement.

I've watched uninformed idiots pontificate on and on and on about how Sherman was STUPID to let KGB get to Free Agency and then had to overpay to keep him, now those same people are trying to defend this with Ahman Green today.

The double standard would be funny if we weren't watching it unfold before our eyes.

Say what you will about Mike Sherman, but, there was never this secretive shit, there was always a plan. Whether you agreed with it or not, there was a plan. You knew what holes he was trying to patch, and this was not a bad thing, in my mind anyhow.

I read that Thompson "negotiated" all day before refusing to match the offer to Green. Translation - HE MISCALCULATED Ahman's value. HE SCREWED UP.

Now, we will see if there is a backup plan. I am NOT optimistic.

I probably am not the "kool-aid" guy any longer. I do not buy into what this regime appears to be doing. It, quite frankly, sickens me.

Brando19
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
I predicted this sh*t to everyone from day one! I knew when Green visited Sherman and the Texans...we'd never see him again in a Packer uniform! This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GBRulz
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Let the tire slashing begin....... grrrrrrr. GD TT!!! WHY?? Yeah, I'm just pissed, dunno what else to say.

and RG, what's with the 'tude lately towards people? Not a good sight when a mod is arguing with the posters. Which is why I would never be one :twisted:

Jimx29
03-04-2007, 07:09 PM
No 30 yr old running back 1½ yrs off of a very severe leg injury is worth anywhere near 24 mil-4 years w/6 mil guaranteed. Period

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Oh, come on RG. It hurts to see Ahman Green go but in all fairness; he is in the final leg of his career and he will be worse every year from now untill he retires.

Is it hard to see such a dedicated and once dominate player go? Sure, but it's not like we lost the guy in his prime. He's one 30 something injury away from being out of the NFL.

Sick is a little bit of a strong word and the tone that came along with it was certainly over the top.

You've been a big influence on my view of Sherman. He made some good moves in the draft. He acctually did OK except that he traded away so many picks. He did some good things like Clifton and Harris. He also did some bad things. The blind loyalty to Sherman and the hatred t'ward the guy who relpaced him seems to me more emotion than reason. Was he your neighbor or does he have alot of qualities that you see in yourself? For whatever reason, you take this way too personal.

Rastak
03-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh, come on RG. It hurts to see Ahman Green go but in all fairness; he is in the final leg of his career and he will be worse every year from now untill he retires.

Is it hard to see such a dedicated and once dominate player go? Sure, but it's not like we lost the guy in his prime. He's one 30 something injury away from being out of the NFL.

Sick is a little bit of a strong word and the tone that came along with it was certainly over the top.

You've been a big influence on my view of Sherman. He made some good moves in the draft. He acctually did OK except that he traded away so many picks. He did some good things like Clifton and Harris. He also did some bad things. The blind loyalty to Sherman and the hatred t'ward the guy who relpaced him seems to me more emotion than reason. Was he your neighbor or does he have alot of qualities that you see in yourself? For whatever reason, you take this way too personal.

All emotional stuff aside if TT can draft a solid back this year and maybe sign a veteran to help transition the Pack is probably fine. Green's solid blitz pickup could bite them in the tukus but said veteran could presumably take up that slack.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Sherman was not that bad. He signed some guys and traded away some picks he shouldnt have, but he main goal in doing that was for us to win. I can respect that.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 07:20 PM
and RG, what's with the 'tude lately towards people? Not a good sight when a mod is arguing with the posters. Which is why I would never be one :twisted:

Well. Tired of listening to the "spin" I guess. Tired of listening to people say they "love tt" in one thread then bash him in another. Tired of hearing opinions about "who TT is going to trade for", and then hearing "it's a good thing TT builds through the draft". (translation - TT will trade for the guy I LIKE, yeah, right) Then watching someone, intentionally or not, overstate figures in the contract to make it look like a "good thing" that TT did not match the contract, when the real question is why the hell did he put himself in the position to HAVE TO match the contract.

Now, for the next two weeks all we will hear about is "Don't Worry, he's got a plan". What plan? He'll be writing one for the next two weeks.

Whether I'm a "mod" or not, I'm going to let you know when I disagree with you. Believe me, if I can't back it up, I don't open my mouth. I've been passive, supportive, and in the "team environment", for too long, and I can't for the life of me figure out what the plan is. I am convinced there isn't one, at least one that works in the short term.

I'm sick of listening to people bash an honest man, and support a dishonest one.

I'm on the wagon - FOR 2009, that is. TT just created a BIG HOLE for 2007, and I don't see how it gets filled. It took the OL 13 weeks to gel. Now we get to start over training a replacement running back.... GREAT!! Can't wait...

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 07:22 PM
I know Ras. I don't know what to think of this move. It's right on the border of questioning at the very least.

Jenkins was an obvious good move and it looks even better after watching journymen sign 50 million dollar deals.

If it was 10 mil up front and 30 mil in 4 years it would be obvious. If it was 4 mil per year, I would be slashing TT's tires but this deal is right on the border. It might bite us in the ass or Green might go down for the count with the inherant injury risk of athletes over 30.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Can we please get back to ripping the Vikings signing of Shiancoe?
:cry:

Damn! I wanted him to beat the rushing record. Maybe he'll come back as a backup in two years (ala Dorsey Levens and Antonio Freeman) to beat it.

Rastak
03-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I know Ras. I don't know what to think of this move. It's right on the border of questioning at the very least.

Jenkins was an obvious good move and it looks even better after watching journymen sign 50 million dollar deals.

If it was 10 mil up front and 30 mil in 4 years it would be obvious. If it was 4 mil per year, I would be slashing TT's tires but this deal is right on the border. It might bite us in the ass or Green might go down for the count with the inherant injury risk of athletes over 30.

That's absolutely a risk for Houston. When an athlete loses it, it can go fast and the team is left holding the bag....it's a bit of a risk for the Texans although Green didn;t look too bad last year so maybe they can get one solid year out of him at minimum.

retailguy
03-04-2007, 07:27 PM
All emotional stuff aside if TT can draft a solid back this year and maybe sign a veteran to help transition the Pack is probably fine. Green's solid blitz pickup could bite them in the tukus but said veteran could presumably take up that slack.

I'm sure he will draft a solid back. But will that back contribute this year? Possibly, but not likely.

Green was taken for a reason. He can help Houston NOW. I thought the goal was to win NOW. That's what the brass says anyhow... It would have cost, what, 1.5 mil more to train the back behind Green, now we'll have to train the guy, who'll train the guy to replace him... This makes sense?

I saw two big holes on the offense. TE & WR. Now there are THREE. All skill positions. Maybe RB gets filled, but what are the odds ALL THREE get filled?

I watched some very winnable games go awry this past season because of issues at WR and TE. ONE MORE PLAYER last year possibly changed the outcome of a few games. A few games might have made this a competitive team.

It doesn't have to be this way, whether you all think I'm too emotional or not... it really doesn't have to be this way.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 07:28 PM

edit:

I'm not referring to opinions expressed about TT, or Sherman for that matter. As fans, it's fair game for us to judge one GM or another as bad or good, or, in an emotional moment, as an "idiot." But can any of us have an honest opinion that another poster here needs to "learn to read and do simple math?" It's the ad-hominem attacks that are bothersome to me. And it's been happening a lot lately. People are getting way too testy around here regarding things they cannot control. Let's cool off, folks!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 07:29 PM

Well. Tired of listening to the "spin" I guess. Tired of listening to people say they "love tt" in one thread then bash him in another. Tired of hearing opinions about "who TT is going to trade for", and then hearing "it's a good thing TT builds through the draft". (translation - TT will trade for the guy I LIKE, yeah, right) Then watching someone, intentionally or not, overstate figures in the contract to make it look like a "good thing" that TT did not match the contract, when the real question is why the hell did he put himself in the position to HAVE TO match the contract.

Now, for the next two weeks all we will hear about is "Don't Worry, he's got a plan". What plan? He'll be writing one for the next two weeks.

Whether I'm a "mod" or not, I'm going to let you know when I disagree with you. Believe me, if I can't back it up, I don't open my mouth. I've been passive, supportive, and in the "team environment", for too long, and I can't for the life of me figure out what the plan is. I am convinced there isn't one, at least one that works in the short term.

I'm sick of listening to people bash an honest man, and support a dishonest one.

I'm on the wagon - FOR 2009, that is. TT just created a BIG HOLE for 2007, and I don't see how it gets filled. It took the OL 13 weeks to gel. Now we get to start over training a replacement running back.... GREAT!! Can't wait...

And am tried of you. Do you really need me to explain it you again? If I say I like TT for not signing players that are not worth it, does that automatically mean I can't want TT to sign Green. And if he doesn't I can get mad? Just go to hell.

Rastak
03-04-2007, 07:33 PM

edit:

I'm not referring to opinions expressed about TT, or Sherman for that matter. As fans, it's fair game for us to judge one GM or another as bad or good, or, in an emotional moment, as an "idiot." But can any of us have an honest opinion that another poster here needs to "learn to read and do simple math?" It's the ad-hominem attacks that are bothersome to me. And it's been happening a lot lately. People are getting way too testy around here regarding things they cannot control. Let's cool off, folks!

Don't make me pull my Rodney King speech out dammit!

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 07:35 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I wonder what Mr. Favre thinks of this. I doubt he'll express his feelings besides the usual things players say.

The RB battle in training camp will certainly be a fierce one. I expect that Vernand Morency will triumph over Kenny Irons to become the number one back. However, whoever TT drafts, we will use an attack similar to Indianapolis, using both RBs equally.

retailguy

Ok, well, let me explain this. Total deal is 22 mil over 4 years. 14.6 mil less 22 mil leaves about 7.4 for the final 3 years. If we are all thinking about what we're posting.... Well that's another story I guess.

If I offended the poor chap, I'm sorry.

I have very little tolerance for the blind defense of this move. By most accounts, (not just my crazy emotional opinion) this is a stupid, stupid loss.

We didn't have to "break the bank" to keep this guy. Thompson put himself in a position to lose and he lost. We'll see how he responds, I guess.

I'll slip away now and deal with this on my own. Obviously, there are expectations on me that I'm not meeting, so I'll just refrain from speaking for a while and read.

Lurker64
In my defense I was going off of "an NFL source said will pay Green $8 million in the first year", which I had figured was salary, combined with the confirmed $6.5 million signing bonus. It's not my fault people use imprecise language.

Ironically, I have a master's degree in mathematics and am working on my PhD.

PackerPro42
03-04-2007, 07:38 PM
I wonder what Mr. Favre thinks of this. I doubt he'll express his feelings besides the usual things players say.

The RB battle in training camp will certainly be a fierce one. I expect that Vernand Morency will triumph over Kenny Irons to become the number one back. However, whoever TT drafts, we will use an attack similar to Indianapolis, using both RBs equally.

I expect a turd to triumph over Kenny Irons, the guy sucks.

Rastak
03-04-2007, 07:40 PM

Ok, well, let me explain this. Total deal is 22 mil over 4 years. 14.6 mil less 22 mil leaves about 7.4 for the final 3 years. If we are all thinking about what we're posting.... Well that's another story I guess.

If I offended the poor chap, I'm sorry.

I have very little tolerance for the blind defense of this move. By most accounts, (not just my crazy emotional opinion) this is a stupid, stupid loss.

We didn't have to "break the bank" to keep this guy. Thompson put himself in a position to lose and he lost. We'll see how he responds, I guess.

I'll slip away now and deal with this on my own. Obviously, there are expectations on me that I'm not meeting, so I'll just refrain from speaking for a while and read.

You certainly have a right to express yourself. I wouldn't disappear because you are a mod. But I don't think it's as bad as you are thinking.
Unless a replacement sucks at pass protection GB will most likely be ok.....this assumes TT get's off his ass and gets a replacement one way or another.

RashanGary
03-04-2007, 07:43 PM
In defense of Morency, I thought he was a more effective back while he was in than Green. He had better YPG and he had that burst to and through the hole that Green used to have but now seems to be losing.

I serioiusly question Morency's durability though. I can't see him staying healthy. RB is our biggest need right now. RB and FB.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 07:45 PM

Ahh, Wausau, haven't seen you in a while. I missed your blind negativism and fair and balanced analysis. Good to have you back.

PackerPro42
03-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Ahh, Wausau, haven't seen you in a while. I missed your blind negativism and fair and balanced analysis. Good to have you back.

I had to take off a little time off because of your ridiculous posts. :D And wouldn't you consider consistantly downgrading Lynch as bling negativism and poor analysis?

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 07:55 PM
In defense of Morency, I thought he was a more effective back while he was in than Green. He had better YPG and he had that burst to and through the hole that Green used to have but now seems to be losing.

I serioiusly question Morency's durability though. I can't see him staying healthy. RB is our biggest need right now. RB and FB.

I'm assuming you mean YPC, and that can be misleading when comparing a starter to a backup. Turner had a better YPC than Tomlinson. Bennett had a better YPC than Larry Johnson.

So, in the games they were going against bad run defenses, Morency had 42 of his 91 rushing attempts. That's 46.1% of his rushing total. In those three games, Ahman had 21 of his 266 rushing attempts. That's 7.8% of his rushing total. Against bad run defenses.

Conversely, in the five games against the toughest rushing opponents, Ahman had 95 of his 266 rushing attempts. That's 35.7%. Morency had 14 of 91 rushing attempts. That's 15.3%. Against good run defenses.

GBRulz
03-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I was in the big city of W today. I can't say Warsaw because PP gets mad :lol:

Gosh it looks so different since when I lived there.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 07:57 PM

I had to take off a little time off because of your ridiculous posts. :D And wouldn't you consider consistantly downgrading Lynch as bling negativism and poor analysis?

Such as....

PackerPro42
03-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Did you go over the new snake bridge GBRulz?

PackerPro42
03-04-2007, 07:59 PM

Such as....

Do I need to say anymore?

GBRulz
03-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Ya know what irritates me the most of the whole Green situation? I think it sets a bad example for the other players to work their butts off for the big payday. Green did everything asked of him. He came back from that injury in top shape. Even before the injury, when he was at the top of his game, he never complained about his contract. He never complained about anything and was a true team player.

What happened to the Packers rewarding players for this kind of behavior?

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 08:02 PM

Such as....

Yes, please do.

GBRulz
03-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Did you go over the new snake bridge GBRulz?

Yeah, I saw that a couple of years ago. Sure is nice. I remember (kinda, sorta) the many parties we had out on Lake Wausau way back in the high school years! Good times.

ZachMN
03-04-2007, 08:14 PM
First of all he was OVERPAID He couldnt even practice all the time last year he is on his way DOWN physically. There was a study done of all the runningbacks who get like 1800 yards or something along those lines or maybe who lead the league or close to it and they all decline steadily every year after wards- I liked Ahman but if Houston wants to spend that much let them- every year someone we didin't know about or thought little of steps up and becomes the new marquee player at a given position, maybe it will be one of our guys. My Money says Green gets injured and misses 1/4 of season at the very least....

He wanted another big payday and Sherman made a shortsighted play for him good for Ahman getting his alimony money ( we all know he needs that) and hey we didn't waste money on a position that was in need of new blood anyway. plus there will be all sorts of cuts still to come as the offseason continues

VermontPackFan
03-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Adios Ahman !!!!!!!!! Thanks for the memories. The NFL is a cold business, sad but true. This one hurts...

Lets move on though...

VermontPackFan
03-04-2007, 08:18 PM
What happened to the Packers rewarding players for this kind of behavior?

The Patriots have won 3 Super Bowls being cold hearted bastards...

Unfortunately you cannot pay or reward players for past performance, those days are long gone.

BooHoo
03-04-2007, 08:20 PM
I am surprised that Green is gone. I thought we would have found a way to resign him. It does appear Houston paid a huge price for him. If we do not spend a few bucks on FA, what will we do with all the left over cap money? I wonder what the plan is to spend.the money. Unless TT was given some type of marching orders to keep spending to a minimum.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Such as....

Yes, please do.

Via PM please.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 08:30 PM
First of all he was OVERPAID He couldnt even practice all the time last year he is on his way DOWN physically. There was a study done of all the runningbacks who get like 1800 yards or something along those lines or maybe who lead the league or close to it and they all decline steadily every year after wards- I liked Ahman but if Houston wants to spend that much let them- every year someone we didin't know about or thought little of steps up and becomes the new marquee player at a given position, maybe it will be one of our guys. My Money says Green gets injured and misses 1/4 of season at the very least....

He wanted another big payday and Sherman made a shortsighted play for him good for Ahman getting his alimony money ( we all know he needs that) and hey we didn't waste money on a position that was in need of new blood anyway. plus there will be all sorts of cuts still to come as the offseason continues

I, for the most part, agree with everything you said.

Scott Campbell
03-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Via PM please.

Screw that. Let's set up a cage match.

I loved Ahman, but I'm not concerned. If you're going to miss, better it be on a 30 year old RB with a lot of miles on him. The season doesn't begin until September. Thompson now has one additional piece of work to do.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Via PM please.

Maybe a thread in the Romper Room? Then it doesn't have to be in the midst of a football discussion.

People are upset about the Green non-signing and general disagreements about TT's free-agent strategy. It's getting to be quite uncivil around here. :(

BooHoo
03-04-2007, 08:37 PM
This may force him to draft a RB in the first few rounds.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Via PM please.

I'm game. :P

Brando19
03-04-2007, 08:42 PM
From Packersnews.com:

No one should feel sorry for Ahman Green after the veteran running back signed a lucrative free-agent contract with the Houston Texans Sunday.

But Green deserved better from the Green Bay Packers.

Green served as a loyal soldier for seven years in Green Bay, yet the Packers weren’t willing to reward him for his efforts and let him walk.

Loyalty works both ways, and in this case, the Packers couldn’t come close to matching the Texans’ respect for Green’s talents.

Green will go down as one of the best running backs in team history, but in the end, that didn’t matter to the Packers.

Green rushed for more than 1,000 yards six times, a remarkable achievement considering just four Packers backs in the 26 years prior to Green’s arrival surpassed the century mark.

Green has been so good for so long that he amassed 8,162 career rushing yards, just 45 yards shy of Jim Taylor’s team record. He accumulated more yards from scrimmage (10,870) than any player in Packers history.

What’s not to like about Green? No one could question his superior work ethic. He wasn’t flashy and didn’t call attention to himself. Over-the-top touchdown celebrations weren’t part of his repertoire. He went about his job humbly and consistently.

While some players would have complained about living in the shadow of quarterback Brett Favre, Green didn’t seem to mind. He never threw a tantrum over not getting the ball enough.

As an added bonus, Green never complained about his contract and never threatened to hold out. Fans could surely appreciate that after enduring messy public squabbles involving the Packers and malcontents Mike McKenzie and Javon Walker.

In an era when pro athletes shamelessly prop themselves up and make contract demands in public, Green was a throwback.

So what did that team spirit do for Green? It earned him a hefty four-year, $23 million contract, but he was forced to shop the NFL’s unrestricted free-agent market to find it.

It doesn’t seem right that after all Green did for the Packers, the team wasn’t willing to give him his due.

The Packers will argue that the NFL is a business, and the Texans simply put a higher value on Green than they were willing to pay. It became apparent the Packers were leery of shelling out big bucks to a player who just turned 30, an age when many running backs hit the wall.

But Green proved he was no ordinary back. He overcame a potential career-ending ruptured quadriceps tendon injury in 2005 and gained 1,059 yards last season. He remained a valuable asset to the offense with his pass-catching ability. He didn’t look like a player in decline.

Even his reputation as a fumbler was more fiction than fact. Green had fewer career fumbles per touch than Taylor, who many regarded as sure-handed.

For some reason Green's skills were taken for granted, if not by the team than certainly by many fans. As free agency approached, the possibility of the Packers losing Green never generated an outcry.

Now that Green is gone, the Packers will find out how valuable he was. The prospect of leaving the backfield in the hands of some untested rookie draft pick, a mediocre free-agent pickup, or holdover Vernand Morency, is unsettling.

The Packers had the money and should have been willing to pay a premium to keep Green, who will be sorely missed.

BallHawk
03-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Some people really need to stop playing the "Green deserved better" card. He's earning more than most people ever make, he's guaranteed to start, and he's reunited with Sherman, etc. It's not like the Packers refused to sign Green for the vet. minimum and now poor Ahman's out of a job and can't feed the family. What about William Henderson? He's as loyal as anyone but since he doesn't perform at the level of Ahman he's forgotten about. It goes both ways...

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 08:58 PM
It's better to think with the head - not the heart - when you are trying to win a Super Bowl.
Green won't need a tag day, he'll be fine.

VegasPackFan
03-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Even his reputation as a fumbler was more fiction than fact.

That is just simply a bad piece of writing, downplaying a major flaw of Green's. More fact than fiction? Green was traded from Seatlle for exactly that reason - Holmgren tired of the fumbles.

So I am going to miss him too, but it is retarded to say Green didnt have a fumble problem - he flat out did.

Green Bud Packer
03-04-2007, 09:29 PM
the green bay packers owed nothing to green and he owed nothing to the pack. he was paid a fair days wage for a full days work. green and the texans thought he was worth more than mr thompson and the packers felt he was worth. once again a sherman affiliated team has overpaid for a free agent. i keep my memories of green and wish him health but i don't beleive he's worth the money houston shelled out for him.great rbs are hard to come by but good backs are a dollar a dozen and at this stage in his career green is just an average back.

Patler
03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
From Packersnews.com:

But Green deserved better from the Green Bay Packers.

Deserved better? How did the Packers mistreat him? Green was a victim of timing more than anything else. I think the Packers were very fair with him.

In 2001 he signed a 5 year $18 million contract, which included a 5 million signing bonus. Very good at the time, as the salary cap was only $67 million. However, the real inflationary period for runningbacks came the next several years, so Green was well-paid, but within a year or so was not up with the truely elite RB contracts. Bad timing.

Then, of course, the injury in 2005 really hurt his bargaining power. Even so, I thought the Packers were very fair in the contract they gave him for 2006. Guaranteeing $2 million to a guy coming back from a leg injury that had ended careers of linemen was pretty generous, I thought, Plus, through incentives they gave him the chance to earn even more. They committed to him, and let him prove he could still play. How much would any other team have put on the line for him last year?

All in all he made over $21 million in his 7 years in GB. I thought the Packers were very fair in the two contracts they did sign with him. However, if his timing had been better, he may have made even more.

But to say he deserved better, I think is unfair.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Even his reputation as a fumbler was more fiction than fact.

That is just simply a bad piece of writing, downplaying a major flaw of Green's. More fact than fiction? Green was traded from Seatlle for exactly that reason - Holmgren tired of the fumbles.

So I am going to miss him too, but it is retarded to say Green didnt have a fumble problem - he flat out did.

Green fumbled a little more than other top backs in his career, but not that much more. If you look at his career stats as compared to other top backs in the last ten years, almost all of them fumble about 4 times a season on average, and many fumble 5 or 6 times in an occasional season. Green fumbled roughly 6 times a season in his prime, and 4 times last season. This puts him a little above the average, but it doesn't necesarily rise to the level of being a major flaw. He just got a reputation because Holmgren was notoriuosly intolerant of fumbling, and so the label was applied when he was traded, and it stuck because the fumbles seemed to come in streaks early in the season.

For some perspective, think about it in comparison to interceptions. Green fumbled an average of 6 times, losing an average of 4, in the 5 seasons from 2000 to 2004. Brett, who I am not picking on here, threw an average of 17 interceptions in that stretch, and all of those were changes of possession. The focus on Green as a "fumbler" is overblown.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 09:41 PM

His fumble rate was average for the the top RBs. It was better than Jim Taylor. Cold hard facts. It was more fiction than fact. Usually, he fumbled a lot the first 5-6 games in a season and then rarely fumbled the rest of the year. We've already ran the numbers on this several times.

MJZiggy
03-04-2007, 09:48 PM
You said what I was thinking Harv. His fumbles came in groups and then he'd get over it for a while.

VegasPackFan
03-04-2007, 09:53 PM
He fumbled 7 times two years straight too.

I just think that the fumbles that he lost were at very critrical times in some of those games. So I do remember saying he was a great back, but would cough it up at least 2 or 3 times a season at the very worst time possible and cost a game or two.

Patler
03-04-2007, 09:58 PM
On a "per touches" basis, Jamal Lewis fumbles more than Green.
So did Tiki Barber.
Travis Henry fumbles much more frequently than Green.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 09:59 PM
He averaged 5.4 fumbles/year in his 7 years here. True that he missed more than 1/2 of one season, but he also had several years where he was near the NFL lead in touches. His fumble rate was about average. I compared him to the top 20 RBs in a thread this last offseason, and that's the way it shookdown. Out of the top 20 RBs, I believe he was right around 10th in fumble rate.