PDA

View Full Version : Was it a good move?

Partial
03-04-2007, 06:33 PM
to let a player like Adalius Thomas walk? He is getting up there in age at 30, and rather than overpaying to keep him.

The Ravens have the best GM in football bar none.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 06:36 PM
The Ravens didnt keep Thomas becuase they didnt have the money. They only have 3.5 mil in cap right now, no even enough to sign there rooikes. Yep that makes him the best GM in football.

Partial
03-04-2007, 06:38 PM
The Ravens didnt keep Thomas becuase they didnt have the money. They only have 3.5 mil in cap right now, no even enough to sign there rooikes. Yep that makes him the best GM in football.

The two statements are completely unrelated. Ozzie Newsome without question is the best GM in football in my opinion. He lands talent like no one else.

He let a good player walk that they could have manuevered to keep. Very similiar to Mike Wahle. Did they make the right choice?

red
03-04-2007, 06:38 PM
yeah, this was like their marco rivera move

they couldn't resign him without cutting a lot of guys

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 06:41 PM
I don't see how they could have manuevered to keep him when they had a cut Lewis just to get under the cap.

falco
03-04-2007, 06:42 PM
He sure built a hell of a defense...every starter there this year was a name brand player.

Partial
03-04-2007, 06:42 PM
I don't see how they could have manuevered to keep him when they had a cut Lewis just to get under the cap.

pay him nothing this year with a big time bonus next year?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 06:48 PM

pay him nothing this year with a big time bonus next year?

OK I guess they could of did that, but it would have tied up their cap big time. So yes it was the right move.

Partial
03-04-2007, 06:53 PM
DAN NEEDS MORE RESPONSES TO PROVE HIS EVENTUAL POINT!!!!!!!1

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2007, 06:56 PM
It was not a good move to not sign AG however.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
The Kyle Boller pick is lookin pretty good right now ... :D

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 07:03 PM
There's a big difference here. Baltimore has Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, and Terrell Suggs at LB. They can afford to get away with a rookie or cheaper FA as their 4th LB. Green Bay has Vernand Morency at RB. We'll see. Even assuming they get a guy like Lynch in the draft. That just means that can't fill another need in round 1.

Rastak
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
There's a big difference here. Baltimore has Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, and Terrell Suggs at LB. They can afford to get away with a rookie or cheaper FA as their 4th LB. Green Bay has Vernand Morency at RB. We'll see. Even assuming they get a guy like Lynch in the draft. That just means that can't fill another need in round 1.

Playing devil's advocate, isn;t the general thought here that any running back can do just fine in a ZBS? Didn't folks say that Denver just plugged in anyone and had success? Perhaps a guy like Irons might be available in round 2.......

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm not even that bothered with how it will affect the team talent-wise. I reckon they can bring in a Travis Henry or Chris Brown and be effective. Ahman was on the downside a bit. I still think they could have signed him to a reasonable deal before FA began, and I worry about how that looks to the team. Also, he's one of my favorite Packers, so this hurts way worse than Sharper or Longwell going to Minnesota. I hope he kicks ass in Houston, but I have a feeling it's not going to go well.

Isn't Maurice Morris a FA?

Rastak
03-04-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm not even that bothered with how it will affect the team talent-wise. I reckon they can bring in a Travis Henry or Chris Brown and be effective. Ahman was on the downside a bit. I still think they could have signed him to a reasonable deal before FA began, and I worry about how that looks to the team. Also, he's one of my favorite Packers, so this hurts way worse than Sharper or Longwell going to Minnesota. I hope he kicks ass in Houston, but I have a feeling it's not going to go well.

Isn't Maurice Morris a FA?

Hmmm, not sure...I do understand the emotional side of things though.

Damn sports!

Partial
03-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I am not comparing him to Green, I am just saying that a player on the wrong side of 30, who commands a massive pay day from another team is not always the best play to resign them.

The Shadow
03-04-2007, 09:18 PM
By chossing to embrace the Bronco running scheme - where many types of backs have been plugged in with success - maybe the Packers feel they can identify a variety of backs they could be comft with.

the_idle_threat
03-04-2007, 09:20 PM
True ... I bet Olandis Gary is available.

woodbuck27
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM

Doesn't this fit the, 'a bird in hand equals two in the bush' theory?